What PS1 and Gamecube games have truly stood the test of time?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bigbenrfan99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 bigbenrfan99
Member since 2008 • 246 Posts

I got PS1 and Gamecube when I was a kid, so what are some of the best teen and mature games for thesetwo consoles that are still great today?

LankyKong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 LankyKong
Member since 2011 • 2678 Posts

Resident Evil Remake.

Xtatic324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Xtatic324
Member since 2003 • 1340 Posts

FF7, FF8

Resident Evil series.

pills4louis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 pills4louis
Member since 2011 • 1331 Posts

FF7

Xtatic324

Oh, you jester, you. ;)

I'd nominate:

Vagrant Story

Omega Boost

Gunners Heaven

Alundra

DavidianMH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DavidianMH
Member since 2011 • 1458 Posts
Spyro and Crash bandicoot for the Ps1. As for the Gamecube, 007 Nightfire and Resident Evil 4 come to mind.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#6 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

REmake, RE4, Soul Calibur II, Super Smash Brothers Melle... And more. On Gamecube. Also there are PLENTY of great E rated games on Gamecube, like Wind Waker, Super Mario Sunshine and others.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Wind Waker on the Cube for sure. F-Zero GX is another great game and I'd also recommend Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door. The Resident Evil games are still nice too and we still haven't anything gotten anything quite like Pikmin 2 and Viewtiful Joe 2.

As for PS1 I'd say Chrono Cross (if you can deal with pixelated graphics). Most other PS1 games got superior successors imo.

Yeah, and add Super Mario Sunshine to the Cube list. It's still a very good platformer despite what people say.

dewc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dewc1
Member since 2005 • 725 Posts

Gamecube:

Rogue Leader, Rebel Strike, Timeslitters 2, Timesplitters:Future Perfect, and Wind Waker. Dont crucify me, but I don't like any of the Smash Bros games.

PSone: Command and Conquer Red Alert and Retalliation, Final Fantasy 7 and 9. Most ps1 games are not near as good as we remember them when we go to play them now, unfortunately they have not stood the test of time!

MuddyMaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MuddyMaestro
Member since 2009 • 10351 Posts

Grandia on the original PlayStation has stood up incredibly well compared to the games which followed on PS2. The art style still looks fatastic, and the CG is still breathtaking. And above all that, it's an incredible game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#10 AvatarMan96
Member since 2010 • 7324 Posts

GameCube: Resident Evil 4, Wind Waker, Smash Bros. Melee, Metroid Prime 1 and 2, Pikmin

PlayStation: Crash Bandicoot, Final Fantasy VII

d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#11 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

For the Gamecube, Spider-Man 2. Still haven't seen a better Spider-Man game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
Soulcalibur 2 springs right to mind. the series went downhill after this entry
Nismology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 Nismology
Member since 2009 • 649 Posts

On PS1

Spyro 1, 2 and 3 are some of the best 3D platformers ever made and are in my opinion better than anything the N64 had to offer in the way of platforming. (Excuse my blasphemy!)

Ridge Racer Type 4still looks beautiful, and is one of the slickest games I've ever played. A true representation of what the system is capable of graphically.

Tony Hawk's pro skater 1, 2 and 3 are a MUST HAVE.

I'm trying to track down a copy of CTR Crash team racing, I'd imagine that game has retained it's fun factor just as much if not more than Mario Kart 64.

Micro Machines V3 is still a fantastic multiplayer game, even better with the PS1 multi tap.

I've never owned a gamecube, but I have fond memories of 007 nightfire, super smash bros and MK double dash at friends' houses.

skooks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 skooks
Member since 2006 • 1411 Posts

GC: F-Zero GX, Super Smash Brothers Melee, The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, Metroid Prime, Tales of Symphonia, Resident Evil 4, Mario Kart: Double Dash.
PS1: Grandia, Crash Bandicoot, Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy IX, Tekken 3.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#15 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

I find it funny that the test of time question is being asked about Gamecube. Gamecube hasn't had time to age. I mean there's not much of a difference between Gamecube and Wii games graphically.

As for PSX, here's some favorites that I still go back and play:

• Apocalypse (starring Bruce Willis, no joke)
  • Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
  • Crash Bandicoot 1 & 2
  • Diablo
  • Gex
  • King's Field 1 & 2
  • Mortal Kombat Trilogy
  • Pac-Man World
  • Resident Evil 1-3
  • Spider-Man 1 & 2
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nameless12345

I find it funny that Crash Bandicoot gets mentioned so much as a PS1 game that "truly stood the test of time". I mean you have to be blind not to see that that game is now hardly any good when compared to modern 2.5D platformers. The PS1 Resident Evil games are also no match for the GameCube ones.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Emerald_Warrior

I find it funny that Crash Bandicoot gets mentioned so much as a PS1 game that "truly stood the test of time". I mean you have to be blind not to see that that game is now hardly any good when compared to modern 2.5D platformers. The PS1 Resident Evil games are also no match for the GameCube ones.

nameless12345

Hardly any good? You're kidding, right? It's one the best platformers of all time, still a freaking blast to play and 10 times better than the last few Crash Bandicoot games that have come out.

The only Gamecube Resident Evil remake worth anything is the original Resident Evil because they added a lot to it. RE 2 & 3 on Gamecube are pretty much the same games as their PSX counterparts. They're great buys if you don't own the originals or a PSX at all, but otherwise not worth it.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
PS1: FF tactics FF 9 Chrono Cross Suikoden 1 and 2 Grandia Gamecube: RE4 Zelda TP Tales of Symphonia Fire Emblem PoR
Xtatic324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 Xtatic324
Member since 2003 • 1340 Posts

[QUOTE="Xtatic324"]

FF7

pills4louis

Oh, you jester, you. ;)

I'd nominate:

Vagrant Story

Omega Boost

Gunners Heaven

Alundra

Why are you hating? It's my opinion. lol

hurriflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#20 hurriflash
Member since 2008 • 645 Posts

For Ps1 Castlevania Symphony of the Night

For NGC almost every single game apart puzzle ones alike ODAMA and puyo fever

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#21 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
Final Fantasy Tactics, Castlevania: SotN. Super Smash Bros. Melee. Probably RE4.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

Emerald_Warrior

Hardly any good? You're kidding, right? It's one the best platformers of all time, still a freaking blast to play and 10 times better than the last few Crash Bandicoot games that have come out.

The problem is he wrote which games "trully stood the test of time". So if I understand correctly he's not asking which games are still fun but which games can still compare to modern games. And the Crash Bandicoot games do not hold a candle to modern platformers imo. They would be average at best today, even Crash 3.

bigbenrfan99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 bigbenrfan99
Member since 2008 • 246 Posts

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

The problem is he wrote which games "trully stood the test of time". So if I understand correctly he's not asking which games are still fun but which games can still compare to modern games. And the Crash Bandicoot games do not hold a candle to modern platformers imo. They would be average at best today, even Crash 3.

Exactly. I am looking for games that would justify me purchasing them today, not just games that were great at the time. I have played a few of the Crash games and I agree that they were great, but do not compare to some recent platformers such as the two Ratchet games on PS3.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

Yeah, I disagree completely. Like I said, Crash Bandicoot is 10x better than the modern Crash Bandicoot games.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

Emerald_Warrior

Yeah, I disagree completely. Like I said, Crash Bandicoot is 10x better than the modern Crash Bandicoot games.

Perhaps. But it's more possible that the today's Crash games don't impress as much as Crash did in it's time. Besides, you have games like DKC:R today which, I dare say, are better than the old Crash games in all aspects.

mcgrady1hou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mcgrady1hou
Member since 2007 • 170 Posts

street fighter alpha 3 ps1 great lookin game

anamardoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 anamardoll
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Final Fantasy Tactics and Suikoden 1 & 2 have stood the test of time, in my opinion. :) I'm also very fond of Alundra. The storyline alone is quite creepy and compelling.