What makes Chrono Trigger so good?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LJChronx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 LJChronx
Member since 2003 • 954 Posts

Even though I was around during the SNES days I never got to play Chrono Trigger. I know many people consider it the greatest RPG of all time. How come? What makes it different or better than say a Final Fantasy game? I was considering picking it up for the DS.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

OK, this is just my opinion...

I revisited Chrono Trigger this past weekend and every time I play it, it is always fun and interesting. I think that's what a good game does. Maybe it's the story that kept me glued from start to finish, with its twists and turns. Maybe it has to do with the characters, both good and bad, and how you grow to either care or hate them for what they are, still can't imagine the game without them. Maybe it has to do with the amazing battle system, complete with dual and triple techniques, each of them unique and showcases the personality of the characters. Of course, let's not forget the soundtrack, one of the best soundtracks in gaming history. For me, a soundtrack has to stay memorable and become timeless from its inception to where it is now and I can tell that Chrono Trigger displays both very well. Every character's theme to the battle music fits the universe that is Chrono Trigger. Perhaps the only complaint that I have for it is Crono and the fact that we didn't get to know much of his past, unlike the others. Although he is mute, he does show his personality through his gestures and he is a likeable hero.

[spoiler] I was crushed to see him die, but was ectastic to find out that he can be saved through the Chrono Trigger. Also, one moment that took me completely by surprise was Magus joining you. I was like "No freaking way!" Too awesome! [/spoiler]

That's just a few reasons why Chrono Trigger is my favorite role-playing game of all time. I know that people love Grandia or Tales or Final Fantasy...all of these choices are perfectly OK with me, at least the good ones (not the bad ones). But Chrono Trigger, for me, just stood above the pack. It also doesn't hurt that the Dream Team was involved in the project as well.

Normally, I wouldn't call any videogame a masterpiece.

However...Chrono Trigger is the exception.

Khatsworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Khatsworth
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
You know, I was going to write a long post detailing why I liked Chrono Trigger so much, but then Metamania basically beat me to the punch with even better wording than I had, rofl. I agree and support pretty much everything said. I think the only thing I would add to what he's said is that the game paces itself very well. I often find myself having to backtrack and go around in circles levelling up on oldschool RPGs, but I never felt pressured to do so on Chrono Trigger, but on the flipside, the game doesn't feel too easy either. In terms of balance I'd say that's a strong suit. :) And yes, the music is absolutely amazing. In fact, this thread has just inspired me to go and listen to it again right now. :)
Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#4 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

story, gameplay, characters, and multiple endings. This game is just awesome.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Metamania

You know, I was going to write a long post detailing why I liked Chrono Trigger so much, but then Metamania basically beat me to the punch with even better wording than I had, rofl. I agree and support pretty much everything said. I think the only thing I would add to what he's said is that the game paces itself very well. I often find myself having to backtrack and go around in circles levelling up on oldschool RPGs, but I never felt pressured to do so on Chrono Trigger, but on the flipside, the game doesn't feel too easy either. In terms of balance I'd say that's a strong suit. :) And yes, the music is absolutely amazing. In fact, this thread has just inspired me to go and listen to it again right now. :)Khatsworth

:lol: Glad I became the voice of reason! :P

I don't know about anyone else, but the moment I entered my first battle, with Crono drawing out his sword and taking on three Hetakes in the Guardia Forest, I knew it would be something special. I used to have a certain Nintendo Power issue that had a preview of the game and I would read that section over and over again, knowing that it would be something special. The day that I first started playing it, I knew that my initial assumption was correct. :) After destroying Lavos for the first time, I kept on exploring everything the game had to offer and when I got everything, I did it all over again. That game truly is a masterpiece and I hope someday that Square makes another role-playing game in the vein of Chrono Trigger for today's consoles.

Scythes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Scythes777
Member since 2006 • 2796 Posts

Its just an overall well made game. Overflowing with charm and you can see the developers really took care of this game. Also, I prefer the sequel, Chrono Cross over Trigger. I know many disagree, but Cross was a completely different game than Trigger with very little similarities between the two.

Khatsworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Khatsworth
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
That game truly is a masterpiece and I hope someday that Square makes another role-playing game in the vein of Chrono Trigger for today's consoles.Metamania
Well they've made a few good games. I'm not really sure I'd say any of them would dislodge Chrono Trigger from it's throne yet, but oddly enough the Squaresoft/Square-Enix titles I find myself enjoying the most are the ones that aren't part of their main Final Fantasy franchise. Super Mario RPG comes to mind ;)
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
On top of what Mete said, you have to remember that the Dream Team took the best brains behind the major JRPGs (Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest) and put them together to make a game. When you go back and play it now, you realize that they somehow made a JRPG that not only was arguably the best of the genre at the time, but also worked in a lot of WRPG elements as well. About 1/4 of the way through the game, you can technically fight the final boss whenever you want, but it's gonna go horribly unless if you level up more, and this is the crux behind multiple endings and the idea of choice that WRPGs are still known for, and the New Game + let you actually pursue those endings without having to level grind like crazy with weak enemies. The importance of the seventh party member cannot be overstated, because [spoiler] it's not a sidequest, but a choice you have to make not long after Crono's unexpected death (and that's a whole other discussion, as the silent protagonist that you see in a lot of JRPGs is supposed to be your avatar in the game of sorts - always in the party, you choosing what he says, etc. but then he's suddenly dead and you can control anyone). With Magus, you have three possibilities. If you choose not to fight him, he'll join you, despite being the major visible villain for a large chunk of the game. If you fight him with most party combinations, he doesn't stand much of a chance as you don't give him a chance to do anything against you. If Frog is in your party, he'll tell the others to leave him, and you get to have a one-on-one battle of vengeance for Cyrus' murder and Frog's transformation. [/spoiler] . Though there are technically only two endings that may involve this party member, it has substantial effects on how those play out. Does Frog stay a Frog for the rest of his life? Do you see him begin to transform? Do you get to see him in his true form? Choice in Chrono Trigger is important throughout the entire game, even early on when you're put on trial and get to see all the little things you may or may not have done in the fair come back to bite you. For a JRPG, that's still unheard of! On another note, am I the only one that sees similarities in the sidequests that open up near the end of CT and the loyalty missions of Mass Effect 2?
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]That game truly is a masterpiece and I hope someday that Square makes another role-playing game in the vein of Chrono Trigger for today's consoles.Khatsworth
Well they've made a few good games. I'm not really sure I'd say any of them would dislodge Chrono Trigger from it's throne yet, but oddly enough the Squaresoft/Square-Enix titles I find myself enjoying the most are the ones that aren't part of their main Final Fantasy franchise. Super Mario RPG comes to mind ;)

Ah, Super Mario RPG. I remember beating that game in five days, from the day of release to Sunday of that very week. Another memorable RPG!

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

I'm gonna be a bad guy and say that I thought it was a waste of ten bucks off psn. It had SNES graphics and well, it wasn't terrible but I lost interest pretty quick. I guess those type of games just aren't for me. I played it once and the truth is, ill probably never play it again.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Metamania

I'm gonna be a bad guy and say that I thought it was a waste of ten bucks off psn. It had SNES graphics and well, it wasn't terrible but I lost interest pretty quick. I guess those type of games just aren't for me. I played it once and the truth is, ill probably never play it again.

TheHighWind

The Playstation version had a lot of extra content going for it, but it's honestly not the best version out there. Loading times are constant, the sound effects can be a bit off sometimes, and I remember the FMV, while wonderful, was a bit choppy and didn't play out too smoothly. I've heard that the DS version is the best one to date, but I've yet to see that for myself. Maybe someday...

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#12 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
It isn't just any one thing. It's the way everything is pieced together. The story, the exploring, the fighting, the jokes...everything builds an atmosphere that's fun and interesting.
Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#13 Chickan_117
Member since 2009 • 16327 Posts

Even though I was around during the SNES days I never got to play Chrono Trigger. I know many people consider it the greatest RPG of all time. How come? What makes it different or better than say a Final Fantasy game? I was considering picking it up for the DS.

LJChronx

I'm gonna have to replicate post #3 and just say that Metamania summed up my opinion and worded it better than I could hope to.

I still haven't seen the double/triple technique in any other JRPG and "cross time" gaming is something rarely done as well as in Chrono Trigger.

I played the original SNES version and, recently, the DS version as well. The DS version was a fantastic port of the game. The dual screens work really well with the map displayed on the top and main game screen at the bottom. During fights the ability to use the touch pad to control things worked surprisingly well too. I was genuinely impressed and feel that the DS version is an exceptional port. It's very cheap too. If you're a fan of RPGs I think you'd be remiss to pass it up.

Another advantage to the DS version was the fact that you can see which endings you got and rewatch them. Nice little addition for us completionists :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19c359a3789
deactivated-5b19c359a3789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5b19c359a3789
Member since 2002 • 7785 Posts

TheHighWind

There might be a reason it had SNES graphics.

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#15 Chickan_117
Member since 2009 • 16327 Posts

There might be a reason it had SNES graphics.

syztem

People expect ports to be HD remakes nowadays though. I know there were a lot of people dissapointed with Castlevania SOTN for the same reason. They were expecting sharpened graphics not just a straight port.

forgot_it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 forgot_it
Member since 2004 • 6756 Posts
What makes it a fantastic game? Great graphics, great music, great gameplay, good story. What makes it the best JRPG of all time? Nothing. It's a great RPG and if you played it during the era it came out you'd probably be blown away by all the things it did but like every single "omg, dis game is greatest evar!" it's been outclassed.
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

ristactionjakso

This sums it up for me.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

TheHighWind

Mybe that's because it was orginally a SNES title :?

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts
If we really have to explain it to you I say put down the controller and stop gaming altogether......
Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts
SNES jasonharris48
Hands down the best system to this day for RPGs!
LJChronx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LJChronx
Member since 2003 • 954 Posts

Good feedback guys. Thanks! Sounds like I will be picking it up for the DS in the future!

Koi-Neon-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#22 Koi-Neon-X
Member since 2009 • 2148 Posts

If we really have to explain it to you I say put down the controller and stop gaming altogether......Dracula68

I agree with this.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts

Good feedback guys. Thanks! Sounds like I will be picking it up for the DS in the future!

LJChronx
As of right now that's the best version, so good call. It has the PS1 version's extras sans the annoying loading time, plus it has a new translation (it's a bit closer to the original Japanese), some new side quests, and even a new ending that helps connect the game with Chrono Cross a bit better. Unfortunately, the sound effects still aren't as sharp as the SNES original (though not as muddy as the PS1 version), and the music's instrumentation is still rather off, which you can especially tell in the final boss battle. However, as with the sound effects, it's not as bad as the PS1 version's, plus they managed to find a place for two previously unused tracks in the new content.
MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#24 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

I can't remember if I've ever played Chrono Trigger, but I played Chrono Cross on the PSX. As I understand it, Chrono Trigger is revered as one of the greatest RPGs.

AtlanticRock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#25 AtlanticRock
Member since 2007 • 8131 Posts

I don't like RPGs but Chrono Trigger was the most fun I ever had with an RPG, great game/story.

QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 QuistisTrepe_
Member since 2010 • 4121 Posts

No one really knows why CT is any good, but propping CT makes for a nice old school/hardcore facade. For the life of me, I have no idea why people think CT stands for excellence. No challenge, shallow gameplay, and JRPG cliches run amok. It was OK back in the day, but I remember how disappointed I was after finishing the game. In the interest of full disclosure, I played through CT after FFVI, so that might explain a lot.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 branketra

No one really knows why CT is any good, but propping CT makes for a nice old school/hardcore facade. For the life of me, I have no idea why people think CT stands for excellence. No challenge, shallow gameplay, and JRPG cliches run amok. It was OK back in the day, but I remember how disappointed I was after finishing the game. In the interest of full disclosure, I played through CT after FFVI, so that might explain a lot.

QuistisTrepe_
Too easy? Did you grind a lot?
QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 QuistisTrepe_

[QUOTE="QuistisTrepe_"]

BranKetra

No, it was a pretty barebones, simple game. Seriously, it wasn't rocket science. You bring up an interesting point however. CT didn't require much grinding. One of its true high points.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 branketra

[QUOTE="BranKetra"][QUOTE="QuistisTrepe_"]

QuistisTrepe_

No, it was a pretty barebones, simple game. Seriously, it wasn't rocket science. You bring up an interesting point however. CT didn't require much grinding. One of its true high points.

I take it you didn't fight the optional bosses. The normal game isn't hard, but the optional bosses can be a pain.
Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

ristactionjakso

i agree they just dont make rpgs like that anymore

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Lack of random encounters and multiple endings. Both highly innovative ideas for the genre at the time. Also an exceptionally well-made game.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Metamania

QuistisTrepe_

That explains why you probably felt disappointed with CT. You must have gotten spoiled big time with Final Fantasy VI. :P Don't get me wrong though; Final Fantasy VI is actually one of the best FFs in the series, so I understand your love for the game. But Chrono Trigger did have challenge and the difficulty continued to ramp up more and more. I remember dying a lot in a couple of bosses, such as Giga Gaia (the one who has Melchoir trapped), and I had to go back and grind a bit before trying and eventually succeeding in defeating that boss.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

[QUOTE="BranKetra"][QUOTE="QuistisTrepe_"]

QuistisTrepe_

maybe you suffer of the effects of "i loved x game, all games should be copies".

I loved both, CT and ff VI, they are unique and different and great in their own way.

QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 QuistisTrepe_

[QUOTE="QuistisTrepe_"]

[QUOTE="BranKetra"] Too easy? Did you grind a lot?Krelian-co

maybe you suffer of the effects of "i loved x game, all games should be copies".

I loved both, CT and ff VI, they are unique and different and great in their own way.

Not at all. I play a wide variety of RPGs. So I'm taking issue with CT only in this case. I played a great game and followed that up with a game that was merely good IMO.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 branketra

[QUOTE="QuistisTrepe_"]

Metamania

That explains why you probably felt disappointed with CT. You must have gotten spoiled big time with Final Fantasy VI. :P Don't get me wrong though; Final Fantasy VI is actually one of the best FFs in the series, so I understand your love for the game. But Chrono Trigger did have challenge and the difficulty continued to ramp up more and more. I remember dying a lot in a couple of bosses, such as Giga Gaia (the one who has Melchoir trapped), and I had to go back and grind a bit before trying and eventually succeeding in defeating that boss.

I was talking more about Sun of Son. Giga Gaia was a pain, but if you have certain items and powerful magics, every boss battle can can be a breeze.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="QuistisTrepe_"]

BranKetra

I was talking more about Sun of Son. Giga Gaia was a pain, but if you have certain items and powerful magics, every boss battle can can be a breeze.

Sun of Son was easy. I forgot the name of the armor, but it's the one that absorbs fire and heals you. I had that equipped on Crono and while I didn't have it on the other two members, both of them died, but Crono lived. So I would just keep on slashing at the right flame and it would pummel me right back, but his attack healed me instead, due to said armor. What an easy boss fight! And Giga Gaia was a pain for one reason; the two attacks that would come, right after the other and he would do it often! But once you healed yourself and killed the two hands, then it's easy to concentrate on the head until both hands are revived. Then destroy the hands yet again, go after the head for massive damage, and it was done. but it was frustrating when I went through that battle the first time through!

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 branketra

[QUOTE="BranKetra"][QUOTE="Metamania"]

Metamania

Sun of Son was easy. I forgot the name of the armor, but it's the one that absorbs fire and heals you. I had that equipped on Crono and while I didn't have it on the other two members, both of them died, but Crono lived. So I would just keep on slashing at the right flame and it would pummel me right back, but his attack healed me instead, due to said armor. What an easy boss fight! And Giga Gaia was a pain for one reason; the two attacks that would come, right after the other and he would do it often! But once you healed yourself and killed the two hands, then it's easy to concentrate on the head until both hands are revived. Then destroy the hands yet again, go after the head for massive damage, and it was done. but it was frustrating when I went through that battle the first time through!

Same things for me, basically. Only with Son of Sun, I didn't realize what to do until it was too late the first time. The second time, I made sure I had that special armor. Just to be sure, I made sure to follow the right flame when it spun around. For Giga Gaia, I had Ayla for Falcon Toss to hit both hands at the same time or someone else to wipe out one at a time with triple techs. I usually hold back on the items until the boss battles. Even if I didn't, Crono with the Half MP earrings so Luminare could be used without remorse. It made short work of Giga Gaia. Besides that, there's also Spekkio who's a major pain until you get to the higher levels and have the right items. At least, he was for me.