What makes a gamer a gamer?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gamerchikrpg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 gamerchikrpg
Member since 2003 • 247 Posts

I over hear alot of people who call themselves gamers. I've worked at gamestop off and on for 6 years. (recently graduated from college and got a great job as a graphic designer. so no more retail...til im fired. ha.) But many of those people i don't consider gamers. some of these people include:

people who only play ea sports games such as madden and nba 2xxx

people who only play wii sports

people who only play gta.

what do you consider "a gamer"? i'd like to point out that i see nothing wrong with people who play these games. but to claim themselves a gamer? i'm not sure i agree.

Avatar image for bearded_snowman
bearded_snowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 bearded_snowman
Member since 2004 • 514 Posts
A gamer (to me) is anyone who plays video games on a regular basis and usually spends a good amount of money on games/consoles.
winnerjay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 winnerjay
Member since 2003 • 493 Posts

games.....

Jk i think to be a "gamer" you should generally have a better knowedge of games then the general population and also be into a wider variety of games. i mean whos to say the person that plays cards on Yahoo is any "less" of a gamer or the person that only plays Wii sports is any less? but to generalize i feel they are just casual. then you get the mainstream gamers that play the GTA, Halos, and Maddens. i would really call them gamers. then you get the type that will try differnt genres and generally know what and when games are released and what to expect to be good. i would call them "gamers"

gamerchikrpg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 gamerchikrpg

good points so far.

i know people who buy an expensive console to madden and that's it. question is.. is it really worth it?

TheMierArmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TheMierArmy
Member since 2003 • 5699 Posts

good points so far.

i know people who buy an expensive console to madden and that's it. question is.. is it really worth it?

gamerchikrpg

obviously, if they enjoy it.

Avatar image for bearded_snowman
bearded_snowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bearded_snowman
Member since 2004 • 514 Posts
Variety and knowledge is also a key compenent to being a gamer. I don't believe people who buy a console to only play Madden games are true gamers. They only buy it just cause its the latest technology, you wouldn't see these people buying older generation games or anything else thats not current.
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

What makes a gamer a gamer?

gamerchikrpg

Good question. Here's a direct rip from Wikipedia, which states that...

'[Gamers are] those who spend much of their leisure time playing or learning about games'.

I think this is a valid definition I can identify myself with.

If you enjoy gaming in all its forms and as an art form, if gaming is you favourite hobby, if you are interested in how games are made and find yourself playing bad games looking for something good in them, if you read the reviews and previews even for the consoles you don't own and you enjoy talking about games of any generation, you're a gamer.

If you play games just because you're bored or because you're a fan of a given series, you're a player.

Most interesting: when I was a kid, the term gamer was just another way to say 'nerd', but today, it lost this meaning.

Devourment423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Devourment423
Member since 2005 • 2163 Posts

A gamer (to me) is anyone who plays video games on a regular basis and usually spends a good amount of money on games/consoles.bearded_snowman

This.

It doesn't matter to me what genre. If you spend time playing video games everyday then I think you're a gamer.

o-dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 o-dude
Member since 2008 • 54 Posts
A gamer to me would be someone that is constantly playing video games and always jumps at new games of their favorite genre or a favorite series.
blingchu55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 blingchu55
Member since 2007 • 3098 Posts

Im one of those stuck up hardcores, so this will offend alot of you

I call people who play wii sports, minigames collections non gamers. I dont care if they play games, they are non gamers.

Those who play gta, halo, smash bros(fanboy headshot), Mario Kart and so on are casual gamers.(some play these games hardcorely, but most dont)

Zelda, Mario, Sonic, Final Fantasy, Pokemon and other real games are hardcore gamers.(Yeah i know i named mostly ninty games, im sure there are plenty of non-ninty hardcore games ive just never tried them)

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Black_Knight_00

I call people who play wii sports, minigames collections non gamers. I dont care if they play games, they are non gamers.

Those who play gta, halo, smash bros(fanboy headshot), Mario Kart and so on are casual gamers.(some play these games hardcorely, but most dont)

Zelda, Mario, Sonic, Final Fantasy, Pokemon and other real games are hardcore gamers.(Yeah i know i named mostly ninty games, im sure there are plenty of non-ninty hardcore games ive just never tried them)

blingchu55

I admit you were right: you are going to offend somebody.

If I got it right: I'm a gamer if I play Mario and Zelda, but I'm suddenly downgraded to fanboy if I play Smash Bros or set up a Wii tennis evening with buddies?

I'm confused.

monie11k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 monie11k
Member since 2006 • 927 Posts
[QUOTE="blingchu55"]

Black_Knight_00

I admit you were right: you are going to offend somebody.

If I got it right: I'm a gamer if I play Mario and Zelda, but I'm suddenly downgraded to fanboy if I play Smash Bros or set up a Wii tennis evening with buddies?

I'm confused.

youre confused because its a bunch of BS

McManus107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 McManus107
Member since 2008 • 6356 Posts

blingchu55

No,thats total BS.my sister bought a wii and is only going to play mario games(besides wii fit).and she doesn't know anything about games,and only knows about 3 mario games on the wii.but,according to you,because she play's mario you're saying she's a hardcore gamer.no,that is total BS.

P.S :you're contridicting yourself because if someone play's mario kart.you're saying that they are a hardcore AND a casual gamer because they are a casual gamer because they are playing mario kart and they are hardcore because mario kart is a mario game.

Thiago26792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Thiago26792
Member since 2007 • 11059 Posts

[QUOTE="bearded_snowman"]A gamer (to me) is anyone who plays video games on a regular basis and usually spends a good amount of money on games/consoles.Devourment423

This.

It doesn't matter to me what genre. If you spend time playing video games everyday then I think you're a gamer.

Also agree. Casual players are also gamers.

fLaMbOaStiN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 fLaMbOaStiN
Member since 2008 • 687 Posts
A gamer to me is someone who plays video games during their free time, or excesivley.. They must be up to date with all the gameing news, own a new console with plenty of its games, or play PC games frequently.. This makes you a gamer IMO.
ishoturface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#16 ishoturface
Member since 2007 • 12460 Posts
a gamer like my self is some1 who is willing 2 play any genre of video games even the worst (i hate rpgs but i play them and im sorta good)
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Black_Knight_00

P.S :you're contridicting yourself because if someone play's mario kart.you're saying that they are a hardcore AND a casual gamer because they are a casual gamer because they are playing mario kart and they are hardcore because mario kart is a mario game.

McManus107

LOL While reading that, my brain crashed and I had to reboot it!

Ok guys, Let's not flame blindchu55: I think he meant to say something else and he's going to make it clearer for us.

jedihalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jedihalo
Member since 2004 • 109 Posts

Its like being cool, a true gamer doesnt claim to be one, people just know he is.

Glitch Gaming Philosophy 8)

buckybuckster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 buckybuckster
Member since 2006 • 415 Posts

1: The ability to beat the game and not let the game beat them.

2: Couldn't care less if a game is in 2D or 3D or has mind blowing graphics... thinks solid challenging gameplay is more important.

3: Doesn't settle for faulty play mechanics..

4: Game purchases determined by the actual quality of a game. Not the fact that it's the "in" game everyone else is getting.

5: Gravitates towards games which require more than the pressing of the X button over and over and over and over.........

6: Concerned in the growth and advancement of the gaming industry and the people and games within.

7: Loves it when the house has that new console smell...

Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#20 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
Someone who is a gamer treats it as a hobby. They put their heart and soul into it, they put a lot of money into it and they just love to play and discover new games. Talking to other gamers is a real pleasure and they love to learn new stuff about games.

If it's based on that definition, I am a gamer
YoBrandino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#21 YoBrandino
Member since 2003 • 1546 Posts
a gamer, is someone who is playing a game.
gamerchikrpg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 gamerchikrpg

Its like being cool, a true gamer doesnt claim to be one, people just know he/she is.

jedihalo

fixed your quote for you

Madcap08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Madcap08
Member since 2008 • 208 Posts
Obsession, Obsession, Obsession. Right now I'm Obesessed with MLB '08 The Show. Can't put it down. When ou put in mad hours playing game after game after game then yes my son you are a gamer.
jedihalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jedihalo
Member since 2004 • 109 Posts
[QUOTE="jedihalo"]

Its like being cool, a true gamer doesnt claim to be one, people just know he/she is.

gamerchikrpg

fixed your quote for you

Your right, that was just a tad narrow minded, the quote stands for one and all =D