What kind of games would you like to see more of?

Avatar image for burntbyhellfire
burntbyhellfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 burntbyhellfire
Member since 2019 • 789 Posts

I have been looking through Steam recently, and I can't find anything that piques my interest. I get bored of seeing the same type of shooters or RPGs as I go down the list. Different names, sure, but pretty much the same game. RPGs tend to focus heavily on character creation, which is okay if the game is done right, but I notice more and more that it becomes a copout of having to create any kind of real character with a real back story, and write any kind of character development into the plot.

I also notice some games try to be more complex than they need to be, trying to be something more than they are, or trying to add mechanics that just don't fit in the genre. I see more and more games that try to become an investment of your time, and some times I just want to be able to jump into the action when I want it, and hop off once I'm done.

So, I've been thinking of taking some time to start developing my own game. I have some ideas, nothing too serious yet, but I've worked in Unreal Engine for quite some time now.

So, what sort of stuff would people be interested in, to see if any of my interests intersect?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#2 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58299 Posts

I would like to see:

• More strategy, specifically:
    • Real-time tactics, like Ground Control or World in Conflict.
    • Real-time strategy, like Command and Conquer, Total Annihilation, etc. Especially if it is focused on a great singleplayer campaign.
  • More god-games: I'm still waiting for a new Populous or Black and White
    • Throwing Dungeon Keeper-like games in here, too, they're sort of like god games. We got Dungeons 3 recently and the excellent War for the Overworld as well, but we need more. It doesn't have to necessarily be a dungeon, either.
  • More action-strategy games. I'm talking like the Battlezone game that came out 15 years ago or so. Building a base and raising an army from a first-person perspective is pretty immersive and fun.
  • More pure-stealth games. Tired of stealth-action, give me stealth-avoidance. Bring back light gems and sound meters.
  • More flight sims. Especially the sort-of-realistic-but-also-casual kind. Like I want to play with my instruments and have somewhat realistic radar and flight models, but I also don't want to spend five hours learning how to start my engines. Talking games like Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator, Freelancer, Tachyon: The Fringe, and so on.
Lembu90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 Lembu90
Member since 2015 • 665 Posts

Turn-based mecha SRPG like Front Mission. While we may already had Battletech, Super Robot Wars series and more recently SD Gundam G Generation series but genre itself having too little population.

I also want to see more open-world games with fast-paced combat similar to Fable and Kingdom of Amalur. Instead we got countless of Elder Scroll clones that are too slow for their own good.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#4 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11666 Posts

Survival Horror, not to be confused with the hide in a locker/ no weapons hide n' seek Stealth Horror genre popularised by Outlast.

I mean the legit, find ammo and shotgun blast freaks brain matter all over the wall, just to immediately regret using your last shell kind_

This generation outside remasters we've had Resident Evil and The Evil Within. And that's it!

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#5 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

3D Platformers 100%. There's been some good ones in the last few years, but I'm just craving for more. It's a genre I've always loved.

dmiiceuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dmiiceuk
Member since 2019 • 1 Posts

I'd like to see more online RPG, fantasy world. Something like Black Desert. Have you ever played it? It's my fave one. So breathtaking. The gameplay reminds me of Middle-Earth. You can find everything and more bout this game here https://bddatabase.net/us/ . So useful!

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 VagrantSnow
Member since 2018 • 645 Posts

Simple singleplayer 3D RPGs that let you create and customise your own character. Things like Fallout and Skyrim and Deus Ex if Deux Ex had character creation and third person.

Mech games. The walking battle tank kind instead of the anime kind.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15912 Posts

Probably more JRPG base/town building game. I always enjoys the progression in these games, started fairly normal but will go into more wacky designs later.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#9 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58898 Posts

Traditional strategy games.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

The way PC AAA FPS use to play.

• No regenerating health
  • F5 to quick save F9 to quick load
  • Proper lean mechanics
  • MP with dedicated servers and modding
  • Slower pace
  • Not arcadey gameplay but also not simulation somewhere in the middle for the perfect balance
hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@speeny said:

3D Platformers 100%. There's been some good ones in the last few years, but I'm just craving for more. It's a genre I've always loved.

Yeah same... after Mario Odyssey, I've just craved a similar type of game. I've been so desperate for a good platformer that I've even contemplated buying either a Wii U or Wii again so I can play through Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 again. Lol.

A Hat in Time is a pretty good game though, but obviously nowhere near the calibre of a Nintendo platformer.

sanghelle56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12 sanghelle56
Member since 2017 • 499 Posts

Ones with alien heroes.

Ones where you play as ninjas that aren't the leaders of their clans. As in, not like Ninja Gaiden or Tenchu.

Ones with robot heroes.

Fantasy MMOs that aren't set in Tolkien-esque realms for once.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#13  Edited By Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:
@speeny said:

Yeah same... after Mario Odyssey, I've just craved a similar type of game. I've been so desperate for a good platformer that I've even contemplated buying either a Wii U or Wii again so I can play through Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 again. Lol.

A Hat in Time is a pretty good game though, but obviously nowhere near the calibre of a Nintendo platformer.

I loved both Mario Odyssey and A Hat in Time. I'm looking forward to playing New Super Lucky's Tale on the Switch too. Just shipped from Amazon so hoping to receive it next week sometime.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

RPGs with turn-based combat. Everything seems to be moving toward real time combat and it's awful.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

Need more JRPG