What is your favourite PS2 RPG ?

• 81 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by xXShortroundXx (1807 posts) -

This might sound cliche' but I'm not finding my Xbox 360 to be much fun these days. All the games I own are shooters. Truth be told there aren't much RPG's on the system anyways.

I've decided to go retro and get into a beasty PS2 RPG. Looking at my PS2 games library I don't have many games left of what I used to have though. Final Fantasy X & Final Fantasy X-2 are pretty much all I have.

I'm looking for a highly replayable game like Final Fantasy X and XII.

One that preferably has a crafting type system like in Star Ocean 3 or Dragon Quest VIII and a great story like Persona 4, also a well composed soundtrack is a must.

I suppose I've played most of the highly rated PS2 RPG's but if you can think of any that sound like what I just described. Please help me out :P

Also list down your favourite RPG ;) I'm curious to see what peoples favourites are.

#2 Posted by Darkman2007 (17926 posts) -

Final Fantasy 10

Avatar image for Banjo_Kongfooie
#3 Posted by Banjo_Kongfooie (3838 posts) -
Radiata Stories by far
#4 Posted by LankyKong (2678 posts) -

Easily Persona 4.

#5 Posted by IWAOlympus (412 posts) -
I second Persona 4.
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
#6 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

King's Field: The Ancient City

King's Field: The Ancient City CoverKing's Field: The Ancient City Screenshot 1

King's Field: The Ancient City Screenshot 2

Totally unique and underrated action-RPG series that I'm totaly in love with. This was the last entry in the series, and the only one to appear on PS2. The other games in the series were on PSX. It's played from the first-person perspective and has a high-emphasis on exploration and figuring things out for yourself. This is definetly the best looking game in the series, naturally since it's on PS2. It each entry can be played completely by themselves without playing the other ones first. The only connection is the similar gameplay and art-direction and being set in the same world.

#7 Posted by Darkman2007 (17926 posts) -

Totally unique and underrated action-RPG series that I'm totaly in love with. This was the last entry in the series, and the only one to appear on PS2. The other games in the series were on PSX. It's played from the first-person perspective and has a high-emphasis on exploration and figuring things out for yourself. This is definetly the best looking game in the series, naturally since it's on PS2. It each entry can be played completely by themselves without playing the other ones first. The only connection is the similar gameplay and art-direction and being set in the same world.

Emerald_Warrior

that actually looks like an interesting game, does it play like any other series I might be familiar with ? the look of it reminds me of Elder Scrolls 4, are they any similar?

#8 Posted by Melkari (594 posts) -

Xenosaga Episode III: Also Sprach Zarathustra

Avatar image for Tezcatlipoca666
#9 Posted by Tezcatlipoca666 (7241 posts) -

Final Fantasy 10

Darkman2007

That's my favourite as well. Persona 4 is worth a look if you haven't played it yet :P

#10 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

Darkman2007

that actually looks like an interesting game, does it play like any other series I might be familiar with ? the look of it reminds me of Elder Scrolls 4, are they any similar?

The first-person perspective and combat is similar. But to say it's as good as Oblivion would be a flat-out lie. It is open-ended like Elder Scrolls, but it's not as massive of a world (but still pretty dang good sized for a PS2 game). It's one of those series that people either absolutely love, like myself, or they hate it, too. So I'd try it out first. And give it more than 5 minutes, because that isn't gonna do any RPG justice.

#11 Posted by jasonharris48 (21441 posts) -

Persona 4

#12 Posted by YoBrandino (1546 posts) -

Radiata Stories!!!!

#13 Posted by Wrecked69 (869 posts) -
Add another for Persona 4
#14 Posted by Neyginn (96 posts) -

For me, it's a tie between Persona 3 and Persona 4.

#15 Posted by Darkman2007 (17926 posts) -

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

Emerald_Warrior

The first-person perspective and combat is similar. But to say it's as good as Oblivion would be a flat-out lie. It is open-ended like Elder Scrolls, but it's not as massive of a world (but still pretty dang good sized for a PS2 game). It's one of those series that people either absolutely love, like myself, or they hate it, too. So I'd try it out first. And give it more than 5 minutes, because that isn't gonna do any RPG justice.

seems like it was simply called King's Field 4 over here, I might try it out sometime next month , thanks for the recommendation
#16 Posted by hakanakumono (27455 posts) -

Xenosaga Ep I

#17 Posted by cprmauldin (1567 posts) -

Probably either Dragon Quest VIII or Champions of Norrath.

Gotta try that Kings Field game...

#18 Posted by GunnerSCF (47 posts) -

Dragon Quest VIII,SMT:Nocturne & Digital devil saga(both parts).

If i really had to chose,than it would be DQ.But damn...looking back now at these RPGs,those random battles are ridiculous.Wish they were like in Final Fantasy 12,Chrono Trigger/Cross=Not cheap & awesome!

#19 Posted by Koi-Neon-X (2148 posts) -

Final Fantasy X!:)

#20 Posted by AcidSoldner (7051 posts) -

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

Darkman2007

seems like it was simply called King's Field 4 over here, I might try it out sometime next month , thanks for the recommendation

The King's Field series is a really underrated series and I recommend it as well. It's more similar to the Ps3's recent Demon Souls than Oblivion as it was made by the same developer and Demon Souls is also billed as a spiritual sequel to Kings Field by the devs themselves.

#21 Posted by boybrushdred (1892 posts) -

Final Fantasy 12. its my favorite PS2 game.

#22 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

AcidSoldner

The King's Field series is a really underrated series and I recommend it as well. It's more similar to the Ps3's recent Demon Souls than Oblivion as it was made by the same developer and Demon Souls is also billed as a spiritual sequel to Kings Field by the devs themselves.

I've never played the game. But I've heard people say that Demon's Soul is the spiritual successor to the King's Field series, which is one of the main reasons I want a PS3. However one thing that really jumps out at me as different is that I've heard people the describe the game as having stages or levels. King's Field games, while not as big as say Morrowind or Oblivion, was still an open-world game where there was no specific direction to go.

#23 Posted by Thrawn3d (81 posts) -

Final Fantasy 10.

#24 Posted by megagene (23156 posts) -
Persona 3. No wait! Persona 4. No, 3! Let's just say Persona 3 and 4 are tied.
#25 Posted by AcidSoldner (7051 posts) -

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] seems like it was simply called King's Field 4 over here, I might try it out sometime next month , thanks for the recommendationEmerald_Warrior

I've never played the game. But I've heard people say that Demon's Soul is the spiritual successor to the King's Field series, which is one of the main reasons I want a PS3. However one thing that really jumps out at me as different is that I've heard people the describe the game as having stages or levels. King's Field games, while not as big as say Morrowind or Oblivion, was still an open-world game where there was no specific direction to go.

They're not set up as levels in the traditional sense; it's still quite open just not as open as King's Field or The Elder Scrolls. There is a hub world that has gateways connecting to all of the "worlds" in the game. These areas are then split up, usually with a boss encounter, and can then be traversed freely. So once I beat the entire first "world", I can freely traverse back and forth between 1-1 and 1-5 (no loading screens; its all seamless). That being said there is no set path to take either, just because I beat world 1-1 doesn't mean I have to do world 1-2 right after. I can go to world 2-1 or 3-1, etc, etc. Some times your character isn't strong enough or have the right equipment, so jumping around between worlds as you see fit is quite necessary. I promise it's not as complicated as my terrible description sounds lol :P
Avatar image for Banjo_Kongfooie
#26 Posted by Banjo_Kongfooie (3838 posts) -

A quick question to all those who posted Final Fantasy X, what made you prefer that game over XII? ( I am not saying it is wrong I just would like to know, you do not have to answer).

#27 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

I just wanted to add for Darkman and anyone else considering KF: The game has a complete sense of solitude. You won't find sprawling cities like Oblivion.

#28 Posted by DJChuy (1851 posts) -

1. Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
2. Final Fantasy XII
3. Persona 4
4. Digital Devil Saga
5. Persona 3 FES

Well as you can see, SMT is my favorite RPG series. The only PS2-SMT game I didn't enjoy was the Soulless Army.

#29 Posted by me1on_cho1y (25 posts) -

Final Fantasy 12. Awesome graphic!

#30 Posted by CommanderShiro (21746 posts) -

Dragon Quest VIII

#31 Posted by dbz987 (3764 posts) -

Final Fantasy X

#32 Posted by Darkman2007 (17926 posts) -

I just wanted to add for Darkman and anyone else considering KF: The game has a complete sense of solitude. You won't find sprawling cities like Oblivion.

Emerald_Warrior
well, I liked Panzer Saga which also has a sense of solitude (therer are only 2 towns and a camp for resting and saving), so thats not a big issue.
Avatar image for strategik_basic
#33 Posted by strategik_basic (364 posts) -

Shadow Hearts

Shadow Hearts 2

Disgaea

Disgaea 2

Rogue Galaxy

#34 Posted by rawsavon (40001 posts) -

It is not even close for me
Shadow Hearts 1 and 2 are my favorite PS2 game (I consider them to be one long story).
IMO, the perfect turn-based RPG (or as close as one can get)

ab

Then FFX (the best FF IMO)
c

I also enjoyed Suikoden 3 and 5
de

#35 Posted by SciFiCat (1750 posts) -

Shadow Hearts 1 and 2 are my favorite PS2 game (I consider them to be one long story).

ab

rawsavon
^ This although I only played Covenant and indeed is my favorite PS2 JRPG, I should track the first part.
#36 Posted by GunnerSCF (47 posts) -

Oh yea!Shadow Hearts:Covenant is one mighty amazing RPG8)

I recommend it to all RPG lovers who haven`t played it yet.

#37 Posted by rawsavon (40001 posts) -

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]

ab

SciFiCat

^ This although I only played Covenant and indeed is my favorite PS2 JRPG, I should track the first part.

You should.

I could not imagine playing the second without the first.
My guess is that you will then want to play the second again and will see things much differently. (especially Yuri and Alice)

#38 Posted by Allicrombie (26217 posts) -
I'm gonna go with DQVIII.
#39 Posted by cronomagus36 (12663 posts) -

Final Fantasy X, with Kingdom Hearts II in a close second. Pretty mainstream choices, but hey.

#40 Posted by SciFiCat (1750 posts) -

[QUOTE="SciFiCat"][QUOTE="rawsavon"]

ab

rawsavon

You should.

My guess is that you will then want to play the second again and will see things much differently. (especially Yuri and Alice)

I got a pretty good idea of the vibe of the first game by playing the second, which makes pretty clear about what happened to Yuri and Alice. I even figured out that the ending of the second game pretty much brought the story full circle to the beginning of the first, that said, I would not mind playing the SH1 even knowing how the fate of the main characters ends. It is about the journey, not the destination.
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
#41 Posted by Eikichi-Onizuka (9193 posts) -
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga (parts 1 and 2) would be my top recommendation for PS2. Since you like Dragon Quest and Persona I don't see any way it could disappoint you. Also, I would suggest Suikoden 3 and 5. I'll warn you though, Suikoden 5 has a very slow start and takes about 6 hours to really get going.
#42 Posted by D3dr0_0 (3530 posts) -

Suikoden 3, Kingdom Hearts 2 and Final Fantasy XII

#43 Posted by rawsavon (40001 posts) -

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]

[QUOTE="SciFiCat"] ^ This although I only played Covenant and indeed is my favorite PS2 JRPG, I should track the first part.SciFiCat

You should.

I got a pretty good idea of the vibe of the first game by playing the second, which makes pretty clear about what happened to Yuri and Alice. I even figured out that the ending of the second game pretty much brought the story full circle to the beginning of the first, that said, I would not mind playing the SH1 even knowing how the fate of the main characters ends. It is about the journey, not the destination.

Both games have 2 endings.
In part 1 there is a clear cut good and bad ending.

Part 2 goes off the bad ending from part 1.

But IMO one of the seconds game's endings means more having played the first game
(that was harder than it should have been...trying to avoid spoilers)

#44 Posted by Foulcry (960 posts) -

Kingdom Hearts

#45 Posted by zidan4000 (3167 posts) -
shadow hearts is a pretty good game, way underrated , it has a great story and great soundtrack ,also the gameplay is quite unique .
#46 Posted by benleslie5 (8770 posts) -

Persona 4

#47 Posted by pills4louis (1331 posts) -

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne.

#48 Posted by SpideR_CentS (4766 posts) -

Kingdom Hearts II for me.

I do disagree with your statement that the 360 doesn't have RPGs tho. Pretty sure it has more then any other system this gen.

#49 Posted by Koi-Neon-X (2148 posts) -

A quick question to all those who posted Final Fantasy X, what made you prefer that game over XII? ( I am not saying it is wrong I just would like to know, you do not have to answer).

Banjo_Kongfooie

I think Final Fantasy XII is an EXCELLENT game. However, being a fan of the series since Final Fantasy III (SNES), the first Final Fantasy game on the PS2 was a great evolution of the series in so many ways. Thecharacter voices? I thought this was a big deal considering it hasn't be done before in the series. Combinethat withan awesome cast of characters, great graphics, excellent soundtrack, and epic story it's a winner. Personally Final Fantasy III and Final Fantasy VII (PS1) are my two favorites.

#50 Posted by soulless4now (41388 posts) -

Kingdom Hearts is my favorite followed by Final Fantasy X.