What is your biggest next-gen disappointment?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ivo_ree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1 ivo_ree
Member since 2014 • 121 Posts

I am not just talking about the PS4/XBOX ONE type of next-gen , I'm also talking about any console back when it was considered next gen e.g the PS2 era or the SEGA GENESIS era. For me my biggest next gen disappointments were:

-Spyro Enter The Dragonfly( because it was the first PS2 Spyro game and the game that ruined the Spyro series)

-Duke Nukem Forever( the first Duke Nukem on the PS3 and XBOX 360 and it was lousy in so many ways, seriously how does picking up SH*T make next-gen look cool)

-PlayStation Move(I didn't like most of the games that came with it)

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2  Edited By Mesomorphin
Member since 2013 • 903 Posts

I'd have to go with DragonBall Z SuperSonic Warriors 2, a little DS game that came out a while back. I literally finished the first game on my GBA SP (yeah remember those bad boys, the god damn sandwich :P) when the second was released, I busted a nut to get to the stores, picked up a DS and the new game and.....it quite literally felt nothing like the first game. To this day, the first supersonic warriors is the only DBZ game that did the series enough justice to me.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

I think the Biggest dissapointment is Next Gen itself.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

12 compute units in a $500 system...

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I think around the time the tone of publications and gaming websites changed. Compare old gamespot to new gamespot to see what I mean. Obviously production values are much higher now, but there's this attempt to garner some false sense of excitement from people by forcing what is "the next best thing" down the throat. Reviews in the past were more honest. Today, the ad centric releases almost always recieve a good score--the odd part is you can almost hear the "i'm don't want to lie to you but i have to.." in the voice of the reviewer.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Mesomorphin

@Lulu_Lulu said:

I only quoted this because it seemed like the cool thing to do, because everyone else was doing it, and I'am defiantly not a sheep of some kind for not expressing my own opinion, but stealing others. :P

High-Res

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 High-Res
Member since 2005 • 273 Posts

Everything.

I expected Next Gen to bring true Next Gen features, Like I have a DVR that can simultaneously broadcast to 4 TV's at a time. I expected that kind of technological advancement. For example, If I have 1 Ps4 and 4 users we could all play Black Ops logged in at once on 4 separate TV's. That kind of "Next Gen" stuff.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Lulu_Lulu

@High-Res

lol. You have four TVs ? :)

I actually wanted Next Gen to have Local Wireless Streaming, kinda like the Nintendo Wii U's gamepad, but alot more universal, combine that with your four TVs and just think of the Co-Op possibilties ! :D

I'l finally have a reason to make friends :p

thegroveman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 thegroveman
Member since 2012 • 123 Posts

All "next gen" means is a new set of hardware standards by which game engines can be developed. If anything, console makers have been slower to adopt the "ecosystem model" that defines consumer electronics as a whole. The evolution of console into media hub wasn't a generational thing as much as a trend across all classes of device. People lamenting the loss of media functionality between 360/PS3 and X1/PS4 forget that the 360 and PS3 were barebones early on as well, with features added over time. The move in "generation" needs to be constrained within the context of the performance standard the new systems offer, that will define the tech games are based on for the next few years.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

@mesomorphin said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

I only quoted this because it seemed like the cool thing to do, because everyone else was doing it, and I'am defiantly not a sheep of some kind for not expressing my own opinion, but stealing others. :P

I'm quoting this because not only is it the cool thing to do, but it's the truth. PS3 is still my go to console as of now.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#13 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Titanfall, i was ready to buy it for PC. But it just looked so bland and barebones that i just skipped it

Skr3t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Skr3t
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

@jeager_titan said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Attack on Titan is swesome

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#15 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

TLG being M.I.A.. I got my GT, MGS, and my GTA, but I would have liked the set. Here's hoping it releases eventually.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Mesomorphin

@HipHopBeats said:

@mesomorphin said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

I'm quoting this because not only is it the cool thing to do, but it's the truth. PS3 is still my go to console as of now.

I was pretty much like this until e3 came.

robdacool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 robdacool
Member since 2004 • 50 Posts

I was disappointed in the Sega 32X -I've learned since then not to expect too much from an adapter lol

Was disappointed in the Atari Jaguar. 64 bit system when games looked better on the SNES :(

Only disappointment in the current gen I have is all the delays and push backs. BUT I can live with it.

ivo_ree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ivo_ree

@robdacool:

Ya, you're right. The delays and pushbacks are actually a big disappointment.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

Drive club being delayed.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#20  Edited By Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

^this here. Nothing at all tempting to buy, the consoles are such small improvements over the last gen, and that was 2005, almost looking at 8 years by now, they should have been a lot more powerful.

How these consoles are gonna last 8+ years like the last ones seems impossible with the really low end hardware in them.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Lulu_Lulu

@Old_Gooseberry

Its not really the power that I have an issue with..... I don't like the direction of where everything is going..... Things are changing and I guess many people are happy with that but I feel like they're going in a different way than I am.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Wii U's multiplat situation

marlobc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 marlobc
Member since 2008 • 815 Posts

Thief , murdered soul suspect

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 HipHopBeats

@mesomorphin said:

@HipHopBeats said:

@mesomorphin said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

What changed your mind?

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Mesomorphin

@HipHopBeats said:

@mesomorphin said:

@HipHopBeats said:

@mesomorphin said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

What changed your mind?

Sunset Overdrive, Halo collection, Lord of the fallen and Little Big Planet 3, being next gen exclusive! and arriving in a few months Plus all the indie games arriving this year exclusively on those systems, and hell Far Cry 4 and Dragon age which will look amazing on next gen systems, and then hell theres all the games coming out next year! Witcher 3, No mans's sky, scale bound, phnatom dust, the order and halo 5!

ivo_ree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ivo_ree

@mesomorphin: They all look like great games especially Sunset Overdrive, Lord of the Fallen, Farcry 4 and No Man's Sky. I just hope they all live up to their expectations.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
@Lulu_Lulu said:

About right.

1080p60 was promised as standard. Most games are barely registering neither the 1080p nor the 60 fps. And the overall visual fidelity seems dated for anyone who has played a recent PC game on a moderately decent rig.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Mesomorphin

@ivo_ree said:

@mesomorphin: They all look like great games especially Sunset Overdrive, Lord of the Fallen, Farcry 4 and No Man's Sky. I just hope they all live up to their expectations.

No mans sky is a game that I want it to be good, but I'am still really unsure as to whether it will live up to promise. And with Sunset and Far Cry, all you have to do is look back at Ratchet and clank and Far Cry 3 and you know these games will kick ass!

mwamba1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#30 mwamba1
Member since 2007 • 98 Posts

@HipHopBeats said:

@mesomorphin said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

you mean it's your opinion?

mwamba1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#31  Edited By mwamba1
Member since 2007 • 98 Posts

As a X360 owner my biggest disappointment was the initial XB1 reveal. Most recent disappointment though was Watch Dogs. Seems a lot of people are disappointed at the new console hardware, but its always the same at the start of every gen, and I've been around for a quite a few of them.

Nozxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Nozxro
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I recently bought FINAL FANTASY XIV A Realm Reborn. I was hopeing for some great Asian arcade skill action. The graphics is very pale, the texture are very poor and cheap (textures in Rift etc is pretty good and Rift is free). There is no grinding , and the monsters looks poor compared to lets say Aion or GW2. You walk most of the time(questing for small xp), and when it gets dark you can barley see your feet. The sky looks unrealistic and plastic.

Some of the older FF are infact better.. New game does not always mean better..lessen learned. I duno what game i should look forward to atm really. Maybe RoC since it has great arcade and personalized talent system.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#33  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

dont say that man

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

iam ok with my ps4 but the biggest dissapoing its the delayed of orfer 1886 i expext ps4 have one big exclusive this year but no problem i play multi format games this year

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

Not much that I can really think of. I'd guess I'd say that I'm a bit disappointed that I don't own all 3 systems, yet.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By HipHopBeats

@mwamba1 said:

@HipHopBeats said:

@mesomorphin said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

you mean it's your opinion?

Name 2 good next gen games for PS4 and X1 that's out right now, worth buying a new console to play.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By HipHopBeats

@mesomorphin: Inquisitions does look good. Hopefully it doesn't suck like its predecessors. Phantom Pain, Middle Earth, The Witcher 3 and The Evil Within are on my radar.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#39 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

far cry 4 looks cool too.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10435 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

yep, i think most people were expecting a significant leap forward from the 360/ps3, somewhere approaching mid to high end pc gaming. and it's just simply not happened. not only that but there's very few games to encourage you to splash out £400+ on a new system. the new xbox one tv ad with aaron paul is like microsoft saying "we don't actually have any games of note to show you so here's a pop icon, we hope you didn't notice."

as far as gaming disappointments go, in recent memory i'd say far cry 2 was a huge let down, after years of hype and expectation it turned out to be truly god awful. crysis 1 is one of my all time favourite shooters and crysis 2 took the series off on a completely new tangent and story arc which seriously sucked and whilst the game itself wasn't bad, it led to crysis 3 which was truly dreadful and a terrible end to what could have been a classic trilogy.

and watch dogs was a monumental let down

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@Macutchi said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

yep, i think most people were expecting a significant leap forward from the 360/ps3, somewhere approaching mid to high end pc gaming. and it's just simply not happened. not only that but there's very few games to encourage you to splash out £400+ on a new system. the new xbox one tv ad with aaron paul is like microsoft saying "we don't actually have any games of note to show you so here's a pop icon, we hope you didn't notice."

as far as gaming disappointments go, in recent memory i'd say far cry 2 was a huge let down, after years of hype and expectation it turned out to be truly god awful. crysis 1 is one of my all time favourite shooters and crysis 2 took the series off on a completely new tangent and story arc which seriously sucked and whilst the game itself wasn't bad, it led to crysis 3 which was truly dreadful and a terrible end to what could have been a classic trilogy.

The catch is there are a few that still put out stellar releases. I don't own an xbox one but imo Halo 4 was a system seller--I think Halo 5 may push me to buy an xbox one.

What I don't care for all that much is the bloated OS structure of todays consoles. The image of gaming has changed so much, a lot in part due to the community itself; social media, etc.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10435 Posts

@Heirren said:

@Macutchi said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

The catch is there are a few that still put out stellar releases. I don't own an xbox one but imo Halo 4 was a system seller--I think Halo 5 may push me to buy an xbox one.

What I don't care for all that much is the bloated OS structure of todays consoles. The image of gaming has changed so much, a lot in part due to the community itself; social media, etc.

100% agree about the bloated systems. i don't want an all inclusive home entertainment system, i just want a console to play games. maybe i'm in the minority because i'm guessing ms did some market research before going down that path.

i'd have said halo 3 was more the system seller than 4. gears of war definitely was a system seller. i don't see too many upcoming games that could potentially be system sellers and after the massive downgrade of watch dogs from the early previews i'm reluctant to get too excited about some of the stuff shown at e3

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

@Old_Gooseberry said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

^this here. Nothing at all tempting to buy, the consoles are such small improvements over the last gen, and that was 2005, almost looking at 8 years by now, they should have been a lot more powerful.

How these consoles are gonna last 8+ years like the last ones seems impossible with the really low end hardware in them.

More power available? good, but I don't care about more power. It's time to get more creative. The Wii and the Wii U had so much potential, but the hardware was mostly badly utilized by clueless developers.

If all the future of gaming has to offer is just prettier graphics and bigger maps, then I'll just stick to PC.