What is your biggest disappointment on open world video games?

Crazy_Chemist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Crazy_Chemist
Member since 2020 • 154 Posts

For me, its the fact that its open world and you can explore, the problem is that there is nothing in these games to explore. Such big worlds and they are empty pretty much. Maybe a cave or whatever, but then nothing in them to keep you interested. Yet, even when that happens, i find myself still exploring but never really coming across anything cool or special. In the end its a huge waste of time. Or like Ubisoft, they throw in so much repetition on getting 100 of this item or 200 of that item. I tend to never finish the game and lose interest.

Crazy_Chemist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Crazy_Chemist
Member since 2020 • 154 Posts

@Yams1980:

The problem with me is, i keep going back to them hopeing it will be different. Watchdog legions for example, i am really excited for that game, i liked the first one too. However, because their main talking points were that you can recruit anyone in the city and if a character dies, he is dead, so you have to be someone else to continue the story. My fear now is how repetitive are the characters. And hopefulky for heavens sakes they dont have that crap where you have to collect all these little things throughout the city.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

Open worlds lack function with the mechanics given to the player. Sandbox design is designed for a feel of immersion, not depth. Whether as well crafted linear maps have layers for options and variety with a ton of tools that even the developers didn't think to themselves of how many could stack. I think games like Devil May Cry and Monster Hunter are strong proof of this.

Being more 'open' you have less options in what is possible in any given situation. And typically ends the same, seeing as the level design doesn't really help for a style of play but rather the freedom to regroup or catch a breather, nothing more.

And with how poorly A.I. is usually programmed sandbox design is also commonly used to 'cheese' bad A.I. in a predictable loop.

In a lot of open world games I just think they're made for lazy beat-down depressed play. Switch off your brain and cause some chaos with less thought in what you could and should consider as your next action.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#5 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

I think it's the lack of focus, and the dilution factor.

The lack of focus really hurts in areas that would benefit from more detail. Interiors and things like that.

The dilution hurts because while your gameworld might be 500% larger than the previous game, it might only have 300% more stuff to do. So you have this giant game world but the experience is less rich, less fulfilling.

I know Dragon Age: Inquisition is not the most popular game around these parts, but I thought the level design was the perfect blend of medium-sized, instanced game worlds filled with tons of detail. I really do not need a seamless game world if I can get a more detailed game world with the occasional loading screen.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#6 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Yep, what you mentioned...it's the same for me too.

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 VagrantSnow
Member since 2018 • 645 Posts

Either a lack of things to do or it's just the same thing to do in a new location. There aren't very many open world games that I manage to stay interested in but it is a genre I feel has the most potential cause when I do find a good open world game I tend to play it for years after release.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

The fact that you can't go into most interiors look at GTAV and all the building do I expect that you should be able to go into all of them no but there's is barely and you can in that aren't mission related.

ycdeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#9 ycdeo
Member since 2004 • 2841 Posts

Story of GTA 5 too short. Nice story anyway. they can make an expansion for GTA5 PC.

Ottyandthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ottyandthedj
Member since 2020 • 113 Posts

There is a fine line of appreciation in open world games, I can agree their. The first couple times I played Bethesda video games it was sort of odd to me. I rather stick to the open world style of games that are released on consoles specifically.

Biggest disappointment for me in open world games is probably graphics.