What is the most overrated game ever

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Reali_T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Reali_T
Member since 2007 • 217 Posts

what is the most overrated game ever on any platform.

I think it was the .hack infection series because they gave you a 45 minute anime show along with making a new t.v. series that was not bad but they skipped a crucial step... the game... IT S*CKED

Onenottoforget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Onenottoforget
Member since 2007 • 187 Posts

Other than Life? Jokes....

tbh I would say BF2

palaric8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 palaric8
Member since 2006 • 2246 Posts

HALO SERIES.

close tread/

dante_123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 dante_123456
Member since 2005 • 15011 Posts

Halo, GoW, and FFXII

PS. iirc haven't all the .hack games gotten a score around 5-7? i haven't played them, but i wouldn't really call that over rated... 

chatri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 chatri10
Member since 2002 • 752 Posts
Halo and Madden
Sytzepunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#6 Sytzepunk
Member since 2005 • 169 Posts

Halo series and Wik.

Halo/Halo 2 speaks for itself, its a good shooter, but I've played far more better FPS shooters, just to call a few of them: HL2 had better SP and MP (CS:S) and UT04 beats both Halo's in MP.

mmarsh1972

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mmarsh1972
Member since 2003 • 60 Posts

Starcraft

I still dont understand the fuss. It was basically Warcraft II in space. Fun yes, but hardly revolutionary. I don't see the fuss in Starcraft II either...

EmptySki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 EmptySki
Member since 2004 • 3743 Posts
Halo it might be a decent game but there is other FPS games out there that are equal and better than Halo.  *cough, half-life, doom, quake *cough*
Fignewton50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Fignewton50
Member since 2003 • 3748 Posts
Madden.  Halo, Starcraft, Final Fantasy 7, and GoW all deserve the praise they get.
RobbieH1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 RobbieH1234
Member since 2005 • 7464 Posts
The console versions of Oblivion.
Sytzepunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#11 Sytzepunk
Member since 2005 • 169 Posts

The console versions of Oblivion.RobbieH1234

Is the PC version better? I've only played Oblivion for the PS3 since I didn't purchase it for the PC or Xbox 360 when it came out.

_Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 _Bear
Member since 2002 • 18760 Posts

HALO SERIES.

close tread/

palaric8

MGS series close thread.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts
[QUOTE="RobbieH1234"]The console versions of Oblivion.Sytzepunk

Is the PC version better? I've only played Oblivion for the PS3 since I didn't purchase it for the PC or Xbox 360 when it came out.

Maybe if your PC is better than the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. I haven't played it on any platforms.

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#14 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts

For the 'this game sucks but got good reviews' category: Black & White.  I've played a lot of junk games in my time, but if I ever see PM in person, I will demand those hours of my life back.  Why oh why did this piece of junk get good reviews?!  I swear every reviewer got wow'ed by the pet AI and forgot the rest of the game should have been reviewed too.

For the 'this game is okay, but not gods gift to gaming like people claim' category: Halo.  I gave this game two tries, once on Xbox, once on PC, and both times I'm left wondering, what is the big deal?  I'd rate it okay to good at most, not 'OH MY GOD, BEST SHOOTER EVAR!!!' like some insist.

For the 'this series is not all it's cracked up to be' category: Devil May Cry.  Hey, I like it, I own all 3 in fact, but come on, it had 1 great, 1 pretty good, and 1 garbage member to the series.  It's a very hit and miss series made out to be far stronger than it is.

PhoenixMDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PhoenixMDK
Member since 2005 • 3258 Posts

Madden. Halo, Starcraft, Final Fantasy 7, and GoW all deserve the praise they get. Fignewton50

I sort of agree with that. Aside from the visuals I think Madden is highly overrated. There just isn't an enjoyable game in there that I can see.

Halo, Starcraft, FF7 and GoW have all had such incredible levels of hype that they can never really live up to it in reality so are to a degree overrated, but they are all superb games thoroughly deserving of praise.

ShadowMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ShadowMountain
Member since 2006 • 211 Posts
Final Fantasy 7. I like Final Fantasy but people claim this game to be the best thing since sliced bread
EliteScout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 EliteScout
Member since 2006 • 175 Posts
Fifa 2000 onwards.
homegirl2180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 homegirl2180
Member since 2004 • 7161 Posts
[QUOTE="palaric8"]

HALO SERIES.

close tread/

_Bear

MGS series close thread.

!!

A witch! He's a witch, I say!!! Quick! See if he weighs as much as a duck! :P

Anyway, while the Halo series is up there, personally I've been finding Okami not to be all it's cracked up to be; same with Shadow of the Colossus. I will admit however, _Bear, that MGS3 was quite overrated relative to the fans; not so much the critics however.

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts
There is no such thing as overrated anymore. The same thread comes everyday and by now I'm sure every franchise has been nominated. Overrated is no longer part of the gaming world.
nuttybar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 nuttybar
Member since 2005 • 9624 Posts
Zelda: Twilight Princess...I loved Ocarina of Time, but this was just...boring :(
Hulabaloza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Hulabaloza
Member since 2005 • 1322 Posts

METAL GEAR SOLID

Asstastic gameplay that hasn't changed in 3 console generations. 

Overrated graphics and technology in general. 

The longest, stupidest, most pretentious cut scenes in the history of the world.   

The lamest characters possible....lets make the hero a mullet headed smoker who looks like he lives in a trailer park and drives a 15 year old Camaro.

ThreeVo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ThreeVo
Member since 2007 • 595 Posts

METAL GEAR SOLID

The longest, stupidest, most pretentious cut scenes in the history of the world.   

The lamest characters possible....lets make the hero a mullet headed smoker who looks like he lives in a trailer park and drives a 15 year old Camaro.

Hulabaloza

I apreciate ur strong feelings for thinking that mgs is overrated.. but at what point did u ever make a solid point that reaches out beyond personal opinion......

Now.... if u dont mind me asking. Have u ever even thuroughly played ANY mgs title all the way through?  And im going to make this clear right now... im not, repeat NOT a mgs fan boy... i am simply some one who understands and appreciates quality art

Mgs quite possibly has one of the best cinematic stories of all video game history involving conspirecy, manipulation, war, and even human evolution and the preservation of human life. Hideo Kojima is an incredible writer and director and that sir is not an opinion. His coop with Harry Gregson Williams(music composer for Kingdom of Heaven, Man on Fire and even shrek lol) makes the soundtrack for the entire sieres extreamly captivating, now im not saying u have to like it but u must at least appreaciate its qualtiy. And what about the length and effort Kojima went through to get am exellent cast of actors to do the voice work.. its a great job compared to most american cliche voice actors for video games..  Mullet headed smoker who lives in a trailer park and drives a 15 year old camaro? are u serious.. ok the hair i understand whatever, Do u even know why he looks like that? Over the course of the mgs series dating back to 1985, Kojima has managed to portray a single protagonists life form start to finish into his dying days(even though they were cut short for Solid). No other game has ever done that wich such success. If anything, it shows chracter depth. And just to let u know.. the control scheme for every mgs game has evolved with each new installment. Did u expect them to make every mgs controll style a complete transformation form its previous title? And mgs4 is integrating even more unique features..

With all do respect. people should understand the games they attempt to say are over rated. Have knowledge and give good points. Mocking the game for its obvious features that u could collect from screen shots and comercials is not impressive and makes no point worth reading.

Demonblight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Demonblight
Member since 2007 • 129 Posts
Diablo II.  Original was revolutionary, the sequel didn't add enough by way of replayability or worthwhile new content, IMO, to make it worth completing more than once.  You can only hack through hordes of monsters in slightly modified maps just so often before it's time to move on.   This isn't to say that DII was a bad game, I just expected greater things after having enjoyed the orginal so much.  I realize that it could be said that Diablo suffered from the same problem, but I guess my expectations were just lower back then.  ;)
Hulabaloza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Hulabaloza
Member since 2005 • 1322 Posts
[QUOTE="Hulabaloza"]

METAL GEAR SOLID

ThreeVo

I apreciate ur strong feelings for thinking that mgs is overrated.. but at what point did u ever make a solid point that reaches out beyond personal opinion......

Now.... if u dont mind me asking. Have u ever even thuroughly played ANY mgs title all the way through? And im going to make this clear right now... im not, repeat NOT a mgs fan boy... i am simply some one who understands and appreciates quality art

Mgs quite possibly has one of the best cinematic stories of all video game history involving conspirecy, manipulation, war, and even human evolution and the preservation of human life. Hideo Kojima is an incredible writer and director and that sir is not an opinion. His coop with Harry Gregson Williams(music composer for Kingdom of Heaven, Man on Fire and even shrek lol) makes the soundtrack for the entire sieres extreamly captivating, now im not saying u have to like it but u must at least appreaciate its qualtiy. And what about the length and effort Kojima went through to get am exellent cast of actors to do the voice work.. its a great job compared to most american cliche voice actors for video games.. Mullet headed smoker who lives in a trailer park and drives a 15 year old camaro? are u serious.. ok the hair i understand whatever, Do u even know why he looks like that? Over the course of the mgs series dating back to 1985, Kojima has managed to portray a single protagonists life form start to finish into his dying days(even though they were cut short for Solid). No other game has ever done that wich such success. If anything, it shows chracter depth. And just to let u know.. the control scheme for every mgs game has evolved with each new installment. Did u expect them to make every mgs controll style a complete transformation form its previous title? And mgs4 is integrating even more unique features..

With all do respect. people should understand the games they attempt to say are over rated. Have knowledge and give good points. Mocking the game for its obvious features that u could collect from screen shots and comercials is not impressive and makes no point worth reading.

I've played them all - including the NES games. I even tried twin snakes on the GC. I didn't finish MGS 3 , the second NES game or Twin Snakes.

I think it was the 10 minutes of the most insipid utterly inane dialogue ever recorded....every time I saved the game. It also could be the pseudo intellectual storyline masking crap story telling. Or it could be any of the over acted pretentious nonsense cut scenes or numerous stupid premises (fat guy bomber on roller blades, hair spray the bombs, all the nonsense in the woods/camoflauge alligator etc....endless garbage).

It would be one thing if MGS games long drawn out scenes could actually explain the nonsense.....most people who play it won't even get the real story....and those are the lucky ones The MGS storys aren't as deep as they pretend to be and do a horrible job of actually explaining what is there given how much time they take up (they go on and on and on).

There was 8 hour movie made entirely of a man sleeping. Art? Sure. Good art? Could be. Something you want to watch? Never. Are MGS games art? Sure....so is every other game....but MGS is not good art, it's just a pretentious story told poorly, and the game series doesn't deserve the attention it gets.

But that's the story.......what about the gameplay? How has it changed in the last 3 console generations? It hasn't. It's almost exactly the same game. Same lame exclamation marks and 'they saw you' horn, same lame ski masked guys looking for you. I'm not a fan of Splinter Cell but it has taken the stealth genre much farther in the short time it has been around.

Avatar image for HrolfTheStrange
HrolfTheStrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 HrolfTheStrange
Member since 2006 • 490 Posts
Probably Halo 2
themanus420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 themanus420
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
Halo 2 hands down the most overrated game ever. but im sure when Halo 3 comes out it will take its place.
jimmygrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jimmygrace
Member since 2007 • 2405 Posts
I won't say any game is overrated because its all about your personal tastes.
nutrafrag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 nutrafrag
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Lord Of The Rings for Gamecube - friends loved it, but me and girl thought it was boring. Legos Star Wars is similar a little, but much more fun.
Arisugawa00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Arisugawa00
Member since 2004 • 267 Posts
Halo 2 and soon to be Halo 3 !!!!!!!!!
nutrafrag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 nutrafrag
Lord Of The Rings for Gamecube - friends loved it, but me and girl thought it was boring. Legos Star Wars is similar a little, but much more fun.
Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts
Halos and Gears of War.
L8erSquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32 L8erSquare
Member since 2007 • 2599 Posts
Halo
Poshkidney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33 Poshkidney
Member since 2006 • 3803 Posts
World of warcraft  warcraft III and starcraft
nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts

Wait, wait, I think I've got the hang of this type of thread:

Halo, MGS, Final Fantasy, Zelda, Mario, Pokemon.

Mexaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Mexaman
Member since 2007 • 74 Posts

I would have to say it would be the Halo series.

Along with GRAW, I heard it was a really good game and Next-Gen gaming and in my opinion it was an "OK" game at best. :(

gac8666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 gac8666
Member since 2006 • 472 Posts
This is not even close. MADDEN. Same lame game every year, no innovation, updated rosters, new cover boy, same expensive price tag.  I think Halo is behind it though.  Halo good to very good FPS.  But not the epic title everyone thinks it is.
bugtrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 bugtrip
Member since 2004 • 1260 Posts
Halo + World of Warcraft
kfjl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38 kfjl
Member since 2004 • 2469 Posts

Would rather see an underrated thread; that question is much easier to answer and can also help give ideas of cool "diamond-in-the-rough" type of games to seek out. :) 

It's all a matter of personal opinion of course; a couple games listed here are among my faves. Halo was my gut reaction to this question but I think it's still a good game that's just more overhyped than overrated. There are a few others in that fall into that description for me too -- MGS2&3, GTA Vice City, Devil May Cry, Diablo -- I like those games (although MGS3 pushed it a bit) so I hate to say they are overrated but they didn't live up to the hype. I would instead have to give my votes to two games that got a lot of praise but I had no fun playing whatsoever -- Shadow of the Colossus and Kingdom Hearts II. Both of those games made me sad because I loved Ico and Kingdom Hearts 1 but the play control in SotC was way too choppy and haphazard for me and KH2's gameplay just sucked.

DeadlyZodiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DeadlyZodiac
Member since 2007 • 1367 Posts
Halo. The massive popularity of this game just baffles me.
SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#40 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts
Halo, GTA, Final Fantasy, MGS... am I close yet?
AbusementPark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 AbusementPark
Member since 2007 • 593 Posts
Halo.
Acenso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Acenso
Member since 2006 • 2355 Posts
MGS takes the crown. Entire Series....FFVII follows closely behind.
dayaccus007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 dayaccus007
Member since 2007 • 4349 Posts
Final Fantasy 7
Dragongamer99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Dragongamer99
Member since 2006 • 98 Posts

There are always going to be a few people out there who won't see why some other people think a game is so great, but it's all just opinion (geez I'm really stating the obvious, sorry).  But I mean, I love FFVII and thought it was fantastic, but as an overrated game goes, God of War.  I played it for a while, but never saw what made it great.

SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#45 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts

You want a real answer?

State of Emergency. GS gave it like an 8.4 or something. I wouldn't have given that unplayable garbage with horrendous camera angles and "missions" more than a 3.5 (which is what I think I gave it).

Worst game I've ever owned. 

palaric8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 palaric8
Member since 2006 • 2246 Posts
[QUOTE="palaric8"]

HALO SERIES.

close tread/

_Bear

MGS series close thread.

No........
Insert_Clip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#47 Insert_Clip
Member since 2004 • 54 Posts

Gears of War

Really not all that special and way way over-hyped. I thought it was going to be the next best thing for shooters... but honestly it's nothing special compared to any other run-of-the mill shooter... and a third person shooter at that

mikemillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mikemillis

Nifty Shark said it best, overrated is no longer a part of video games. it's all about personal preference. STOP all the hating.

That said...I'll go with anythign from the Final Fantasy series!!!

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts
Wait, wait, I think I've got the hang of this type of thread:

Halo, MGS, Final Fantasy, Zelda, Mario, Pokemon.nopalversion

Yeah, that's pretty much how this thread works. Don't forget Madden and Gears of War. 

HCanciano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50 HCanciano
Member since 2006 • 269 Posts
Oblivion, by far.