What is the most impressive display of disk space/optimization when it comes to video game?

Avatar image for Zuon
Zuon

409

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Zuon
Member since 2008 • 409 Posts

I'm talking about how back in the day, Capcom was able to fit the entirety of Resident Evil 2 onto the Nintendo 64, voice acting and cutscenes in tact, as well as doing the same for the N64 MegaMan Legends port.

Other than this, are there any other ports/releases of games you've seen that impress you on how they were able to accomplish such a feat?

Edit: I think it should be made clear that there should be an "s" at the end of "video game" in the title and I am not an Engrish speaker.

Avatar image for Maroxad
Maroxad

15815

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 15815 Posts

Iwata optimising Pokemon Gold/Silver so well they could add an entirely new region (Kanto) to the game.

Before they couldnt even fit in the base game, after Iwata compressed it, they had so much free space they could add an entire new region. Iwata basically took someone else's code, and compressed it so well, they could practically double the map size.

Avatar image for osan0
osan0

15818

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3 osan0
Member since 2004 • 15818 Posts

I cant remember the name of it now but i remember a demo floating around years ago (2005-06) of a FPS that looked pretty good for the time and it could fit on something ridiculous like a floppy disc.

As i understand it, rather than storing the texture it basically stored how the texture was created which took up a lot less data. It was quite heavy on the CPU though in terms of loading, as you could imagine.

i can't remember the name of it though. k.krieg or something.

Avatar image for RSM-HQ
RSM-HQ

9320

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 1

#4 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 9320 Posts

Monster Hunter 4G on the 3DS, tons of content, and they managed to have it run at a pretty consistent 60FPS.

Avatar image for Zuon
Zuon

409

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5 Zuon
Member since 2008 • 409 Posts

@osan0 said:

I cant remember the name of it now but i remember a demo floating around years ago (2005-06) of a FPS that looked pretty good for the time and it could fit on something ridiculous like a floppy disc.

As i understand it, rather than storing the texture it basically stored how the texture was created which took up a lot less data. It was quite heavy on the CPU though in terms of loading, as you could imagine.

i can't remember the name of it though. k.krieg or something.

Found it for you. ".kkrieger"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NBG-sKFaB0

Avatar image for osan0
osan0

15818

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 15818 Posts

@Zuon: That was it. I wasn't far off :). Cheers! those visuals in 96KB. pretty impressive.

Avatar image for speeny
Speeny

2484

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 9

#7 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 2484 Posts

@RSM-HQ said:

Monster Hunter 4G on the 3DS, tons of content, and they managed to have it run at a pretty consistent 60FPS.

Yeah, just by looking at your comment I was thinking the same thing. Haven't played Monster Hunter yet but it was impressive that they did an instalment for the 3DS.

Avatar image for RSM-HQ
RSM-HQ

9320

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 9320 Posts
@speeny said:

Yeah, just by looking at your comment I was thinking the same thing. Haven't played Monster Hunter yet but it was impressive that they did an instalment for the 3DS.

A few are on 3DS but only 4G managed to run well and have acceptable loading screens, while still being packed with content and well paced.

X and XX that came after managed to run far worse and even on Switch are not as well optimised as 4G on 3DS.

While has more monsters than 4G, the maps and scripts for the monsters are butchered in the X games, one would assume the coding cuts would have helped the games run better. But perhaps that's because it's a whole different development team just being supervised by MH leads.

And the X games only got rushed for release to commemorate the series anniversary, while the main team worked on World.

Avatar image for warmblur
warmblur

5250

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By warmblur
Member since 2017 • 5250 Posts

GTA:SA it's pretty insane how huge the world is and how they where able to fit it on a PS2.

Avatar image for sakaixx
sakaiXx

8064

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#10 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 8064 Posts

@speeny said:
@RSM-HQ said:

Monster Hunter 4G on the 3DS, tons of content, and they managed to have it run at a pretty consistent 60FPS.

Yeah, just by looking at your comment I was thinking the same thing. Haven't played Monster Hunter yet but it was impressive that they did an instalment for the 3DS.

Is it really 60fps though? I play MH4U on New 3DS and I can always tell the frame dip. I used to pan the camera up at the sky or the ground when moving cause I can feel how smooth it is. Also one of the bigger games on the system, uses 25k memory blocks (whatever MB equivalent)

Avatar image for RSM-HQ
RSM-HQ

9320

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 9320 Posts
@sakaixx said:

Is it really 60fps though? I play MH4U on New 3DS and I can always tell the frame dip. I used to pan the camera up at the sky or the ground when moving cause I can feel how smooth it is. Also one of the bigger games on the system, uses 25k memory blocks (whatever MB equivalent)

Cannot speak for the Ultimate editions, I assume they're similar. Got roughly 3,000 hours in 4G, it's a game that runs really well. If you dive in coop for online play that will wildly change but local was pretty good too just not as solid as a SP experience.

Recall the comparison videos for Capcom/ Monster Hunter events showing frame tester comparing games, they did the same for the X games, and 4G comes out on top every time.

A fat exception is certainly any Amadyura encounter, too much going on, and honestly a terrible hunt anyhow.

Avatar image for sakaixx
sakaiXx

8064

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#12 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 8064 Posts

@RSM-HQ said:
@sakaixx said:

Is it really 60fps though? I play MH4U on New 3DS and I can always tell the frame dip. I used to pan the camera up at the sky or the ground when moving cause I can feel how smooth it is. Also one of the bigger games on the system, uses 25k memory blocks (whatever MB equivalent)

Cannot speak for the Ultimate editions, I assume they're similar. Got roughly 3,000 hours in 4G, it's a game that runs really well. If you dive in coop for online play that will wildly change but local was pretty good too just not as solid as a SP experience.

Recall the comparison videos for Capcom/ Monster Hunter events showing frame tester comparing games, they did the same for the X games, and 4G comes out on top every time.

A fat exception is certainly any Amadyura encounter, too much going on, and honestly a terrible hunt anyhow.

Just saw some videos for confirmation and yeah, its not running on 60fps. The 3ds runs it just slightly above 30 while new 3ds runs MH4U at around 40-50fps. So my suspect was right. Still MH running on handheld is always something to appreciate, personally I am always amazed how the game run on PSP.

Check out the link, its by digital foundy testing MH4G.

https://youtu.be/_0sZJyCArfg

Avatar image for RSM-HQ
RSM-HQ

9320

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 9320 Posts

@sakaixx said:

Just saw some videos for confirmation and yeah, its not running on 60fps. The 3ds runs it just slightly above 30 while new 3ds runs MH4U at around 40-50fps. So my suspect was right. Still MH running on handheld is always something to appreciate, personally I am always amazed how the game run on PSP.

Check out the link, its by digital foundy testing MH4G.

https://youtu.be/_0sZJyCArfg

Interesting, the events I mentioned was sponsored and or funded by Capcom so probably had a layer of bias to how stable things are.

Will take your word for it, for starters am a bit of a MH fanboi so have this layer of un-washable denial. Further because I never ran frame tests myself. And while it was a solid experience for me compared to any MH experience; it wasn't exactly held against games with better framerate stability. The PSP games as you mentioned didn't exactly run well. 4G did run well for me, but apparently just chipping behind the intended 60FPS Capcom marketed it as.

I wonder if we'll get some 60FPS goals for backwards comparability on PS5 from PS4 games. Would love to continue Iceborne at a better framerate without going to the Steam port.

Avatar image for sakaixx
sakaiXx

8064

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#14 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 8064 Posts

@RSM-HQ: hopefully the loading time in these next gen machine is short. The PS4 ver loading to mission is so long.. talking about MH on traditional consoles, I am actually surprised at how small base game was. Quite shocked when I read its only 14gb for base MHW on release. Considering the game uses HD texture, 3 language and more complex monster AI its quite amazing how small the files.

Avatar image for Yams1980
Yams1980

3949

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

I'm not a World of Warcraft fanboy, I haven't played the game since 2006... but it was an impressive game for 2004 that impressed me with optimization, load times and performance. And the game size wasn't that big considering how massive the world was.

Once you got into the game, you could run for hours with no load screens, no stuttering. Even more modern games and MMOs don't really achieve this even now much of the time, they often have more loading screens and also run into bad perfomance hits when there's even a small handful of people in screen.

Avatar image for Willy105
Willy105

25338

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#16 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 25338 Posts

Most of the games on the N64 and DS were super impressive for their file sizes.

Nowadays the most impressive stuff comes from the indie scene:

Loading Video...

That is a clone of F-Zero created to be only 4kb big.

That's about 4000 bytes.