What is the best GTA Game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for madeinbrazil123
madeinbrazil123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 0

Poll What is the best GTA Game? (114 votes)

Grand Theft Auto 2%
Grand Theft Auto London 1969/1961 1%
Grand Theft Auto 2 0%
Grand Theft Auto III 4%
Grand Theft Auto Vice City 21%
Grand Theft Auto San Andreas 28%
Grand Theft Auto Advance 0%
Grand Theft Auto Liberty City Stories 0%
Grand Theft Auto Vice City Stories 2%
Grand Theft Auto IV + Episodes From Liberty City 5%
Grand Theft Auto Chinatown Wars 2%
Grand Theft Auto V 35%

A few weeks ago I had an arguing with my brother because he said that Grand Theft Auto V was the best GTA ever.

But I think Grand Theft Auto San Andreas is the best one, because it has an amazing story, some RPG elements and its really fun. In second place its GTA V and tied in third place GTA IV and GTA Vice city.

But i wanted to see what other people think about it. So vote and leave a comment please. Oh, I included every single GTA released to date, even the obscure ones like GTA London.

• 
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

I'm gonna have to go with San Andreas as still my favorite, even though I really like GTA 5.

And I suppose it's a combination of the story, varied map and overall satire setting of the 90ties and gangs.

NingYupOwaDat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 NingYupOwaDat
Member since 2016 • 182 Posts

For me its probably vice city, but i also love 3 and SA almost as much. Then probably V followed by 4 and I also really liked Liberty city stories.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

San Andreas... followed by Vice City.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#4 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

IV was my favorite probably. I like stories like the one it had. I was super pumped for V, and after beating it like last august, I have barely touched it. It just lacks a lot of the soul, with a gigantic map with hardly anything going on.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10434 Posts

i don't think 3 gets the love it deserves. it was such a pivotal release. a complete game changer. at the time it was utterly sublime. vice city still holds that special place in my heart though. nostalgia ftw

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58299 Posts

GTA 3 for blowing my mind; the size of the world, the amount of stuff you could do...before I played it, I was like "wait, GTA is a top-down game, isn't it" and people were like "no man, this is GTA 3" and then I played it and mind = blown.

But as for my favorite? Probably San Andreas or Vice City, both for doing such an amazing job of portraying, and then satire-izing, their respective worlds (90s gangster rap, and 80s culture)

@Macutchi said:

i don't think 3 gets the love it deserves. it was such a pivotal release. a complete game changer. at the time it was utterly sublime. vice city still holds that special place in my heart though. nostalgia ftw

Completely agree. At the time, GTA 3 was all anyone could ever talk about. But its funny because now it is almost forgotten.

@hillelslovak said:

IV was my favorite probably. I like stories like the one it had. I was super pumped for V, and after beating it like last august, I have barely touched it. It just lacks a lot of the soul, with a gigantic map with hardly anything going on.

Yeah I enjoyed GTAV but was disappointed at its staying power; I find it pretty empty once you finish the story. Multiplayer was not all that exciting for me, either, and frankly the game was filled with a lot of jerks lol.

Nirogol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#7 Nirogol
Member since 2015 • 511 Posts

I think maybe it's because of the nostalgic aspect and not completely the game itself, but Vice City was big part of my school years and the 80s atmosphere was great, it's Vice City for me.

brn-dn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 brn-dn
Member since 2015 • 1982 Posts

V is best GTA and best game ever.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#9 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Hmm,

Storywise i would have to say GTA IV, there are no other story that has even come close to that in any GTA Game.

But my Top 5 would be

GTA IV

GTA Vice city

GTA SA

GTA III

GTA V

Soethi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Soethi6
Member since 2014 • 425 Posts

Atmosphere: Vice City

Gameplay: GTA V

Story: GTA IV

Avatar image for rosinmonkekyx17
rosinmonkekyx17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rosinmonkekyx17
Member since 2015 • 3019 Posts

GTA IV :D

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Grand Theft Auto 4 is the only one that I love. I enjoyed others but I don't want to go back and play them again. Most fans hate GTA 4 because it doesn't allow a street tier gangster to fly a jet fighter but I love it for exact same reason. It's more realistic, dark and has a great story.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jacanuk

@Cloud_imperium said:

Grand Theft Auto 4 is the only one that I love. I enjoyed others but I don't want to go back and play them again. Most fans hate GTA 4 because it doesn't allow a street tier gangster to fly a jet fighter but I love it for exact same reason. It's more realistic, dark and has a great story.

Ya i agree, GTA IV was a huge step forward in terms of making GTA more than just a open world mayhem game and making it also have a story that was actually good.

And also have choices that meant something.

GTA V maybe more fun in terms of mayhem and heists, but storywise it's the worst in any GTA game.

heguain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 283

User Lists: 36

#15  Edited By heguain
Member since 2007 • 1433 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

I think the same, plus I want to try out GTA V, I also liked Niko.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Had to go with Vice City and San Andreas.

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

It used to be GTA:SA but that was totally eclipsed by GTA V in every way. The acting and characters made the game for me, you could tell they have a real chemistry between them all which really drags you into their world and the game.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Chinatown Wars.

Dunoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Dunoid
Member since 2016 • 72 Posts

Maybe it's just nostalgia, but the world in San Andreas still feels bigger than any other GTA. It had three cities, tons of little towns, and space in between. It felt like there was more interaction with the world, with all the barber shops and clothing stores and restaurants and girlfriends and those silly side missions as a taxi driver/firefighter/pimp etc. Liberty City is just a homogeneous city, and the new Los Santos feels like Liberty City with some hills.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

Chinatown Wars.

Ryan78134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ryan78134
Member since 2014 • 218 Posts

It's a really close one, but my vote goes for San Andreas. It was THE game of the generation, and showed just what a sandbox could be. GTA V gets the runner up spot. A fantastic game on last generation, and they've pushed the attention to detail in this generation to a completely new level.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#22 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

GTA 3, no doubt

KurtEaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By KurtEaston
Member since 2016 • 9 Posts

Vice City.. cheesy 80's theme, music, AND Ray Liotta? Can't beat that.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Jacanuk

@dunoid said:

Maybe it's just nostalgia, but the world in San Andreas still feels bigger than any other GTA. It had three cities, tons of little towns, and space in between. It felt like there was more interaction with the world, with all the barber shops and clothing stores and restaurants and girlfriends and those silly side missions as a taxi driver/firefighter/pimp etc. Liberty City is just a homogeneous city, and the new Los Santos feels like Liberty City with some hills.

Ya im not sure if it was the game graphics or nostalgic that just made it seem bigger, but even compared to GTA V, GTA SA felt huge and a lot bigger than GTA V

Also making GTA V´s map a island is just wrong, they could have dealt with that in a much better way.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#25 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

@soethi6 said:

Atmosphere: Vice City

Gameplay: GTA V

Story: GTA IV

I disagree with the gameplay winner being GTA V. While it had more variety and scale, the gameplay sucked IMHO. Simple things like the unrealistic ways npcs and police react made it boring. In GTA IV, you shoot someone in a leg, they fall over, and hobble. Shoo them in the shoulder, they maybe drop their gun and grab the affected area. The melee was worlds better too. GTA V, you shoot someone in the leg, they get right back up and start sprinting away, as well as the cops having otherworldy senses. It kills the immersion for me.

sejethom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 sejethom
Member since 2016 • 15 Posts

I have only played the games from a 3d view, not GTA 1,2, Advance, Chinatown.

My top is

1. Grand Theft Auto Vice City (The music just makes the game truly amazing)

2. Grand Theft Auto San Andreas (It just had about everything, and the story was great too, and Samuel L. Jackson, made the game for me)

3. Grand Theft Auto IV (I usually care the most about the story, and this has the best Grand Theft Auto Story IMO)

4. Grand Theft Auto Vice City Stories (Most underrated Grand Theft Auto game, I hate they didnt make an iOs and Android Version)

5. Grand Theft Auto III (I always love the classic games)

6. Grand Theft Auto The Ballad Of Gay Tony (Story was only average imo, but the rest was good)

7. Grand Theft Auto V (Most overrated Grand Theft Auto, the story was not a good as Grand Theft Auto IV, and the game has turned into Grand Theft Auto Online)

8. Grand Theft Auto The Lost and Damned (Great story, the rest meeeeh...)

9. Grand Theft Auto Liberty City Stories (Just was too boring compared to the other Grand Theft Auto's)

firedguy33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 firedguy33
Member since 2016 • 133 Posts

GTA 5 and Vice City

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

GTA V and GTA IV

PopGotcha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29 PopGotcha
Member since 2016 • 716 Posts

San Andreas followed closely by Chinatown Wars. Its criminally underrated IMO

datl5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 datl5
Member since 2017 • 6 Posts

For me it's:

1) GTA 5

2) GTA 3 & San Andreas

3) GTA 4

4) Any others

Melfis950

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Melfis950
Member since 2016 • 10 Posts

My favorite GTA it's San Andreas: great story, rich atmosphere and coolest gameplay. But now I playing in GTA V and she awesome too.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Jacanuk

Hmm Thread necromancy is bad :D

ZombieProof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ZombieProof
Member since 2016 • 359 Posts

IV and it's episodes and V stand side by side for me. Both have 3 protagonists that drive the overall story and both do phenomenal things that the other doesn't.

IV has the superior 3rd person gameplay. In fact, outside of Max Payne 3, I've yet to see third person gameplay that even comes close. That half trigger general aim control scheme is nothing short of genius. Turning off auto aim provides for a weighty yet intuitive experience but with auto aim on, you can make these awesome snap headshots (or wherever else you want to make your opponents dance).

The driving controls, while fun with the extra weight in IV, are far superior in V. Mostly because I play entirely in first person mode. It feels so damn good regardless of what vehicle I use. It's also great to have all of the great vehicle customization back. Also, relegating the acknowledgement of all of the bumps and cracks in the road to force feedback as opposed to the euphohria was a smart move. The physics fight me less while driving, leaving me free to perform some remarkable feats that I have total authorship over.

V is obviously designed to be played in first person. I think that's the main reason why Rockstar toned down all of the euphoria. Leaving it where it was in IV while playing in first person would have been a god damn mess. Playing the game in 3rd person feels shallow, especially compared to IV, but in first person it becomes one of the most phenomenal open world videogame experiences I've ever had. I'll never go back to 3rd person in V ever again.

The civil engineering in both are both amazing so I can't really say either is the clear winner. Also, while the faces and character models in V are obviously superior, the art design in both are both pretty amazing.

I think the stories are on par with one another as well. Again, I don't consider IV just Niko's story, but that of Luis' and Johnny as well. Within the full context of those three amazing characters I think it's on par with the three bad asses in V.

These two games will never be uninstalled from my rig. I still play them in a constant loop. Quick side note, IV and it's episodes are best played in narrative order, bouncing back and forth through each game as the story calls for it. It makes for a pretty epic experience.

Avatar image for kruton9000gamer
Kruton9000Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Kruton9000Gamer
Member since 2017 • 40 Posts

GTA San Andreas :')

hazexmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 2

#35 hazexmx
Member since 2013 • 44 Posts

I like GTA V but San Andreas is my favorite and IV has the best story and main character

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 1

#36 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

For someone that hate open world game I only enjoyed and finished Vice City even though I played San Andreas and V.

Vice City had that 80 feel, good metal music and an anti-hero that is human and not just a criminal... I mean that game finally won me 100% when I bought the printing workshop and then old dude got beat up and the Hero decided to give a beating to the young punk ... then all the stereotype caracter were cool too me.

I didn't like San Andreas because of that NWA/ghetto curse every 2 words and that rap music ... man too much

I didn't like V because it felt empty ... while I liked how all 3 caracters meet and because playable, it was meh.

Mick1990LFC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Mick1990LFC
Member since 2017 • 15 Posts

Probably San Andreas for me.

GTA 3 deserves a mention aswell, I remember seeing it for the first time when they scrapped the birds eye view and was mind blown. Got it that Christmas and never put it down!

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#40 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

don't bump old threads