What is it that you all like to see in video game retailers?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by VisualPendulum (28 posts) -

I am a student who is currently taking a class on Business Management. I was recently assigned a project in which an early component is to gather data from consumers that would be useful in starting a business and selling a product. Being a member of GameSpot for some time, I decided to turn to you, the community, to understand what you like, dislike, and want to see as future developments in video game retailers (specifically brick-and-mortar stores). I am not sure what responses to expect if I even get any, but Im hoping for at least 50.  

If you guys are interested, please answer in the following format and feel free to add any comments youd like. I will also answer reasonable questions. Thank you very much for reading and for taking a bit of time from your day.

Dislikes:

What would you like to see from retailers in the future?:

What could a retailer do to lock-in your business?:

#2 Posted by VisualPendulum (28 posts) -

Anyone? Please? Even a quick sentence will help.

#3 Posted by jcopp72 (5370 posts) -

Right now I mainly use Amazon to buy games because they are cheaper. I only buy new games ( I dont mean that I only buy them when they first come out, it could be a year after it comes out after the price drops but its still in the wrapper). I used to buy preorders from amazon beause they offered a $ 0.99 release date delvery, they stopped that and charge around $9.00 for next day delivery now. Since they changed their relese time and price I no longer preorder from them.

Their is no game store in my town and the nearest one was an hour drive but recently a Gamestop opened about half an hour away and I have been getting my preorders from them now. But I only buy preorders from Gamestop because like I said games that have been out for awhile are cheaper on Amazon, street game stores take to long to drop prices and amazon seams to drop them long before any street store.

pre order offers

cheaper prices

reward program with continued cheaper prices

store close to home,

#4 Posted by VisualPendulum (28 posts) -
Thank you for your response. I also started buying games online (Glyde and Amazon) for the cheaper prices. $60 is too much of a risky investment, especially if I end up not liking the game that I buy. I think you're also the first person to give me proximity as a desire.
#5 Posted by jcopp72 (5370 posts) -
I live in a small town there arnt any chain stores in my town. People that live in bigger towns take for granted that the store or even multiple stores are close to home. Before the Gamestop opened up I only had a Walmart half an hour away and had to drive a hour to get to any other stores.
#6 Posted by VisualPendulum (28 posts) -

I live in San Diego. Plenty of options for me, but stores rarely have what I want, and if they do, they're usually at prices that I am not willing to pay. What used to be my local Blockbuster and Hollywood Video stores have gone belly up, so I'm restricted to the PS Store/XBL Store for demos, and even then, not every game I want has a playable demo. It's kind of a stretch throwing down a lot of money on games that I'm not sure I'll enjoy, so that shifted me more toward online stores.

#7 Posted by Minishdriveby (10520 posts) -

Right now I mainly use Amazon to buy games because they are cheaper. I only buy new games ( I dont mean that I only buy them when they first come out, it could be a year after it comes out after the price drops but its still in the wrapper). I used to buy preorders from amazon beause they offered a $ 0.99 release date delvery, they stopped that and charge around $9.00 for next day delivery now. Since they changed their relese time and price I no longer preorder from them.

Their is no game store in my town and the nearest one was an hour drive but recently a Gamestop opened about half an hour away and I have been getting my preorders from them now. But I only buy preorders from Gamestop because like I said games that have been out for awhile are cheaper on Amazon, street game stores take to long to drop prices and amazon seams to drop them long before any street store.

pre order offers

cheaper prices

reward program with continued cheaper prices

store close to home,

jcopp72
Why do you buy new if I may ask?
#8 Posted by sukraj (27297 posts) -

I also buy all my blurays and games from amazon uk

#9 Posted by jcopp72 (5370 posts) -
[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"] Why do you buy new if I may ask?

most of the time I can find a year or so old game new on Amazon for cheaper than used at other stores. Usually between $15 and $25 a game new and sealed, pending on the game it sometimes takes alittle longer for the price to drop that much.
#10 Posted by VisualPendulum (28 posts) -
Thanks for responding guys. I did a lot of shopping on Amazon until I saw an ad here on GS for Glyde. Prices were cheaper there but delivery took longer.