What is a real RPG?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Borrizee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Borrizee
Member since 2012 • 428 Posts
What ingredients and elements makes a game RPG. Almost every game is yousing RPG elements these days but what makes a game exclusive RPG and are there still such games on console?
godlikemouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#2 godlikemouse
Member since 2003 • 91 Posts

That's good question. I think most people will agree games that follow traditional attribute and levelling along the lines of D&D are considered true RPG. But I'd go as far as saying even games that mask it for the most part are true RPGs as well. Games like Elder Scrolls, etc. Of course that's just my opinion.

Borrizee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Borrizee
Member since 2012 • 428 Posts

That's good question. I think most people will agree games that follow traditional attribute and levelling along the lines of D&D are considered true RPG. But I'd go as far as saying even games that mask it for the most part are true RPGs as well. Games like Elder Scrolls, etc. Of course that's just my opinion.

godlikemouse
I asked the question because I asked another question somewhere if there still are real RPGs on console. Lots of people asked what is a real RPG. D&D was the founder I think in the 80s. But for me it's like you say Oblivion,Skyrim,Fallout games,...once you build and adjust your or more character to your needs its starting to look like RPG. Demon's & Dark souls were the bomb for me in this gen. Thanks for your opinion,Greets.