What if Apple made a game console?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Tigerman950

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Tigerman950
Member since 2005 • 2517 Posts
Hey what would you guys think if Apple made a game console? Is it even possible for another company to join Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo in the game console war?
BladeMaster75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 BladeMaster75
Member since 2005 • 4222 Posts
No way, Apple has no appreciation for gaming... they won't even talk to Valve about getting the Half-Life games on Macs.
shrink45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 shrink45
Member since 2006 • 625 Posts
If anything, it wouldn't crash, have iPod support and have expensive add ons. If it was announced at Macworld by Jobs, it would most likely be the must have gadget for months.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#4 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
They already did, and it was awful. No one needs to re-live the Pippin.
EmilioDigsIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 EmilioDigsIt
Member since 2005 • 4391 Posts
Just get an iPhone. Those play games like...
IZoMBiEI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 IZoMBiEI
Member since 2002 • 6477 Posts
CRS98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 CRS98
Member since 2004 • 9036 Posts
It probably wouldn't get support.
Avatar image for 203762174820177760555343052357

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 203762174820177760555343052357
Member since 2005 • 7599 Posts

They did and it sucked.

If they did again it would suck, three proprietary formats are enough already.

kobethebest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 kobethebest
Member since 2008 • 138 Posts

.IZoMBiEI

lol that got a good laugh out of me

judog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#10 judog1
Member since 2005 • 24657 Posts
First they should focus on having games on macs if they are going to try and make a console.
iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts

i don't remember them having that. i just thought of the apple 2. the games that u played at school with origon trail.

they should first get some games to work for the mac first. the only game i can think of is world of warcraft.

Sins-of-Mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sins-of-Mosin
Member since 2008 • 3855 Posts
Apple has never been about games or at least quality games. They'll never make a console.
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
The console would be overpriced and under-supported. Apple wouldn't be able to pry publishers away from the big three, and they have minimal in-house developing experience. It would be just plain terrible. They made a console called the Apple Pippin in the 90s, and it was exactly as described above.
UltimaSlayer94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 UltimaSlayer94
Member since 2008 • 411 Posts

Seriously? The company who makes computers that run about 1/50 of the computer games released every year?

No.

Oh yea, and it already happened. And god, was it awful.

FlameHazeX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FlameHazeX
Member since 2008 • 182 Posts
All I can say is it would suck hard. there computers are crap as it is.
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Why not. The problem is the name. How about:

Apple P.I.E. (Personal Interactive Entertainment)?

Dollar75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#17 Dollar75
Member since 2006 • 718 Posts
If Apple were to make an announcement into the console world, it would probably lack basic applications and software in its first go, then correct them in their second go, but leave something else out. Typical Apple marketing, they always leave basic things out, then wait for people to complain and then release another fixing everything.
shinian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 shinian
Member since 2005 • 6871 Posts
I don't think that there is room for a 4th console on a market. If Apple made next console someone would have to drop out. And as the things are now it would be Sony.
Ash2X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#19 Ash2X
Member since 2005 • 3035 Posts

The idea is somehow funny...could be a home console named iPlay which whould have touchscreen-Pads,like the DS...but after some time it whould die on the lack of support.Then Open Souce could be a idea...well I don´t think I whould buy ir,but the idea whouldn´t be too bad ;-)

Thevenin167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Thevenin167
Member since 2008 • 768 Posts

they did and it failed.

But if they made a new one i could picture the games: Darfur blogger extreme!, Starbucks coffee creator madness, and The sims: Liberal arts college version.

SciFiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 SciFiCat
Member since 2006 • 1750 Posts
I don't think that there is room for a 4th console on a market. If Apple made next console someone would have to drop out. And as the things are now it would be Sony.shinian
I agree upon the market share, a 4th console would fragment the market too much, but as your claim that Sony should drop is just ridiculous! Yeah sure, with the HD format wars won and with games such as LBP, Resistance 2 plus PSNetwork games like Flower, PixelJunk Eden and Fat Princess that blow out of the water anything that Live Arcade or Virtual console has, and an install base ever growing, Sony is just gonna drop the towel just like that! :roll: Give me a break!
gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#22 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts

[QUOTE="shinian"]I don't think that there is room for a 4th console on a market. If Apple made next console someone would have to drop out. And as the things are now it would be Sony.SciFiCat
I agree upon the market share, a 4th console would fragment the market too much, but as your claim that Sony should drop is just ridiculous! Yeah sure, with the HD format wars won and with games such as LBP, Resistance 2 plus PSNetwork games like Flower, PixelJunk Eden and Fat Princess that blow out of the water anything that Live Arcade or Virtual console has, and an install base ever growing, Sony is just gonna drop the towel just like that! :roll: Give me a break!

Have contenders steal sony's exlusives... tomorrow when there are better looking games than mgs4 and require a lareger space, let's see if they can port them to that HD dvd piece of crap of theirs.

SciFiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 SciFiCat
Member since 2006 • 1750 Posts

[QUOTE="SciFiCat"][QUOTE="shinian"]I don't think that there is room for a 4th console on a market. If Apple made next console someone would have to drop out. And as the things are now it would be Sony.gamingqueen

Have contenders steal sony's exlusives... tomorrow when there are better looking games than mgs4 and require a lareger space, let's see if they can port them to that HD dvd piece of crap of theirs.

Not even, remember that the 360's drive is regular DVD, the HDDVD drive add on was only for movie playback, not games!
gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#24 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts
[QUOTE="gamingqueen"]

[QUOTE="SciFiCat"][QUOTE="shinian"]I don't think that there is room for a 4th console on a market. If Apple made next console someone would have to drop out. And as the things are now it would be Sony.SciFiCat

Not even, remember that the 360's drive is regular DVD, the HDDVD drive add on was only for movie playback, not games!

Then how can they steal all those games? Making us pay $600 when they paid $150 and got the same games? :( we're not all loaded... this is so unfair...

They say gears 2 doesn't look good despite of the 50k pixles in one gear model promise.

OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts

apple has never had a gaming focus. do i believe they could make some of the best gaming hardware to come to the console realm? absolutely. there are many other problems in the way though. this isn't the 90's.. you need first and second party games that blow people away. you cannot rely on 3rd parties because even when you get an exclusive game, it either goes multiplatform in 6 months, or the sequel is multi.

apple has no real experience making games whatsoever. they cannot do what microsoft does and just use their own in house experts to help things along. not to mention a 4th console would really suck. 3 is already expensive enough.

MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MarcusAntonius
Member since 2004 • 15667 Posts

If Apple made a game console, only hipsters in their 20s, latte-sipping artists, yuppies, and the unemployed would be allowed to own it. Furthermore it would be drastically overpriced and its owners would be utter snobs.:P

Seriously, it'd be nice to see given how well Macs run, but the thing would be priced out of this world.

MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MarcusAntonius
Member since 2004 • 15667 Posts

apple has never had a gaming focus.

OneWingedAngeI

Fortunately on a Mac, that's an easy workaround with BootCamp. Strange how a Mac suddenly becomes the ideal gaming machine. I'd love one with a 512 video card and 2 GB RAM. Too bad I don't $2000 lying around.:(

OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts
[QUOTE="OneWingedAngeI"]

apple has never had a gaming focus.

MarcusAntonius

Fortunately on a Mac, that's an easy workaround with BootCamp. Strange how a Mac suddenly becomes the ideal gaming machine. I'd love one with a 512 video card and 2 GB RAM. Too bad I don't $2000 lying around.:(

i actually bought a mac once that change came about, and now own two. it might be silly but the biggest thing i like about them are that they are super quiet with no clutter. i have a macbook pro and a 20" imac. i dislike the mac snobs just like anyone else though. i actually dont like going into the apple store because of it.

the only way i could see apple in the console market is what they already tried, a joint venture with someone else. actually i think the best match would be with microsoft writing the code for the system and apple building the hardware. that would be even crazier than mario and sonic in a game together which ironically, is a reality.