What happened to the RC Pro Am series?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lordoftheleft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 lordoftheleft
Member since 2011 • 151 Posts

The game was groundbreaking for its time with many of its concepts still seen in games to this day. So seriously why after all these years hasn't there been another entry in the series? A new 3D version with online multiplayer would be killer.

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#2 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts
That game WAS fun, but I don't know about the groundbreaking aspect. Could be though, my timeline of 20 years ago is hazy at best.
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
That was a fun game. This also made me think of Rally King on Retro Game Challenge for the DS.
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#4 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5865 Posts

RC Pro Am was a good game, and it did lay the groundwork for many racing games that came after. But there are alot of good games that were influential during their times that will never see a remake.

lordoftheleft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lordoftheleft

That game WAS fun, but I don't know about the groundbreaking aspect. Could be though, my timeline of 20 years ago is hazy at best.Daavpuke

It was the first or at the very least one of the first games to introduce vehicular combat [the use of weapon pickups in a racing game] to a racing game a whole 4 years before Super Mario Kart.

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#6 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts

[QUOTE="Daavpuke"]That game WAS fun, but I don't know about the groundbreaking aspect. Could be though, my timeline of 20 years ago is hazy at best.lordoftheleft

It was the first or at the very least one of the first games to introduce vehicular combat [the use of weapon pickups in a racing game] to a racing game a whole 4 years before Super Mario Kart.

Super Mario Kart was on a different platform altogether, so that's not hard... Anyways, I'm pretty sure trailblazers such as the famous Spy Hunter series were introduced before this. Perhaps this was one of the first games to hit popularity with the NES, but again, I'm skeptical this was a groundbreaking effort.
lordoftheleft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 lordoftheleft

[QUOTE="lordoftheleft"]

[QUOTE="Daavpuke"]That game WAS fun, but I don't know about the groundbreaking aspect. Could be though, my timeline of 20 years ago is hazy at best.Daavpuke

Super Mario Kart was on a different platform altogether, so that's not hard... Anyways, I'm pretty sure trailblazers such as the famous Spy Hunter series were introduced before this. Perhaps this was one of the first games to hit popularity with the NES, but again, I'm skeptical this was a groundbreaking effort.

Spy hunter wasn't a racing game though, it was really just a scrolling shooter like Raiden or xevious with a car instead of a more traditional space craft.

Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#8 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

well in 94 there was Rock N Roll Racing (genesis or snes).and then this feb TNT Racers was released on Psp and xbox360. It's more of a top down view, but very similar to RC pro-am and Rock n roll racing. Definitely worth checking out if you haven't played it yet.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#9 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

Great couple of games. I played the heck out of them. But they're hard too.

What happened with them is Rare moved on to the SNES and made Donkey Kong Country and Nintendo wrangled them in as their own to work on what Nintendo said.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 silent_bomber
Member since 2009 • 767 Posts

Apparently Diddy Kong Racing was originally going to be a new RC-Pro Am game, but Nintendo told them to add characters driving karts instead.

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#11 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts

I could see a 3D rerelease happening for the 3DS. **** that yellow car, though.

djsundowner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 djsundowner
Member since 2006 • 995 Posts

I could see a 3D rerelease happening for the 3DS. **** that yellow car, though.

King9999

Yeah! Even the blue one started speeding up starting on track #19. Never could get past that one...

toxic_jackal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 toxic_jackal
Member since 2007 • 1793 Posts

I don't have this version of RC, but I do have the Gameboy version, which I'm assuming is slightly different. That was actually my first game ever when I got my own Gameboy Pocket. Now that you mention it, I do miss playing it. Looks like I'll have to find it. But I do agree with you, I think they should have continued this series. I spent hours playing that game.

doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 doubutsuteki
Member since 2004 • 3425 Posts
Good question. I guess that too many other developers picked up on the overhead racing thing and improved on it. I still like R.C. Pro Am 1 & 2 and consider at least the sequel to be a more or less essential game for the NES. I'll take the opportunity to throw a link out here to what I consider to be the best overhead racing game - which happens to be freeware nowaways!