What happened to SEGA?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

grimlock361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 grimlock361
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
What ever happened to SEGA. I remember when arcades were popular SEGA was king. There were so many great games like Daytona 1 & 2, super GT, and house of the dead just to name a few. SEGA has so many great games so why do we keep getting the same old stuff on xbox live such as sonic, gold axe, and more sonic. They did release virtua on and the latest version of outrun but then went back to sonic games or old genesis games. Do that many of us really want sonic games that bad? Does SEGA actually thing sonic is what made them great? What games did you enjoy in the arcades? Anybody remember galaxy force, g-lock, virtua cop, star wars, thunder blade and I am not talking about crappy genesis versions of these games. I remember the first time I came across Daytona USA and it was on a 40 inch display. I must have dumped 10 dollars into it and that was after having to wait in line to play it. I am still waiting sega and unfortunately sonic and knuckles is yet to come.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
Sega is doing just fine. Just because Sonic and Sonic Team is doing bad doesn't mean that Sega as a whole is suffering. Besides, Sonic is sort of Sega's bread and butter. Even the mediocre terrible games sell well for Sega. But there are great games Sega's been doing, not just as a developer but as a publisher. If you don't know these games then you should look them up and see that Sega is doing pretty well.
doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 doubutsuteki
Member since 2004 • 3425 Posts

They died (though in the minds of some die hard fanboys out there they still exist, because some of the staff got hired by other companies and are still designing games).

Avatar image for Princess_Rectum
Princess_Rectum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Princess_Rectum
Member since 2004 • 222 Posts

For God's sake, make another Phantasy Star/Phantasy Star Online game already :(

Avatar image for coolnessmancool
coolnessmancool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 coolnessmancool
Member since 2005 • 1405 Posts

Segas doing fine its sonic team that sucks

92GreenYJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 92GreenYJ
Member since 2006 • 482 Posts

Sega actually still does arcade games too. I am a manager of an Arcade and we have 2 Sega Rally 3 car racing games. The graphics are incredible and the game is a blast to play. I do a few laps at least once a day or so.

Leon0022

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Leon0022
Member since 2009 • 88 Posts
I thank they got shut down! :(
mysterylobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mysterylobster
Member since 2004 • 1932 Posts

The short answer is that they merged with Sammy and the great development studios got broken up. They still make some fantastic games, and have published some great games from western developers.

Reiji-Arisu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Reiji-Arisu
Member since 2009 • 651 Posts
They are still making games. They just don't make consoles anymore.
AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#10 AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts

They died (though in the minds of some die hard fanboys out there they still exist, because some of the staff got hired by other companies and are still designing games).

doubutsuteki
Valkyria Chronicles says no....
BladesOfAthena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BladesOfAthena
Member since 2008 • 3938 Posts
I remember that shortly after they left the hardware business, they made some bold proclamation in a magazine interview about how they were going to be the best 3rd party publisher in the business. Here we are 8 years later and they still haven't lived up to their word.
MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 MadVybz
Member since 2009 • 2797 Posts

Games like Phantasy Star, Virtua Fighter, Valkyria Chronicles, Empire/Mediaval: Total War and Condemned come to mind when I think Sega. And they all got ratings above 8 on Gamespot. So the people at Sega are still alive and kicking.

Leon0022

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Leon0022
Member since 2009 • 88 Posts

nevermind i'm gona get one today