What happened to good games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xander818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Xander818
Member since 2009 • 115 Posts

I sit here regularly to read any interesting topic around the forums. I noticed that most people seem to care about what console has better games or graphics.

In my opinion, none of this generation of consoles has any good game. Why?, simple. The games lack lots of content. I don't know how many people remeber the game Skys of Arcadia (for Gamecube) but that was a good game (not the best but was fun). I miss games that had like 40 hours of game or more. Now they come with less than 25 (take Resistance 2 for example, I finished the campaing the day after I bought it, I felt like I threw my money away). Now all game developers care about is graphics and cutscenes (FF13 for example, looks more like FF: Advent Children than a game and MGS4) and less of those little secrets people liked to take that extra time to find in the games.

I would like to see the opinions you would like to give on this topic. Thanks!

Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#2 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts
There are still good games. The old school games weren't any better (collectively); it's just that reviewers, more often than not, had the balls to point out when a bad game was bad. Sure, the reveiws were awful (check out GameSpot's reviews of Wild Arms and SotN [GAG]), but the reviewers would at least point out when a game was awful.
BladesOfAthena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BladesOfAthena
Member since 2008 • 3938 Posts
Yeah, let's forgo technical advancement and go back to outdated 8 bit graphics. I'm sure everyone would love that.
ZZsharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ZZsharpshooter
Member since 2009 • 322 Posts

Yeah, let's forgo technical advancement and go back to outdated 8 bit graphics. I'm sure everyone would love that.BladesOfAthena

Must have extreme nostalgia. If you don't like the games, don't play them. I don't care if you miss out on these amazing games.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Video_Game_King

Yeah, let's forgo technical advancement and go back to outdated 8 bit graphics. I'm sure everyone would love that.BladesOfAthena

Actually...they did :P.

klusps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#6 klusps
Member since 2005 • 10386 Posts
Although games like Resistance might have a short campaign, that's why there is multiplayer. Ever played anything online?
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Video_Game_King

Although games like Resistance might have a short campaign, that's why there is multiplayer. Ever played anything online?klusps

Multiplayer should never be an excuse for lack of content or a short single player campaign. Many raving fanboys complain about Nintendo abandoning the hardcore, but why the hell do they ignore the industry as a whole moving towards multiplayer at the cost of single player? It's OK when the two work together (MMORPG, for example) or when multiplayer is the sole focus of the game (Super Smash Bros), but not when one takes away from the other.

Xander818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Xander818
Member since 2009 • 115 Posts

[QUOTE="BladesOfAthena"]Yeah, let's forgo technical advancement and go back to outdated 8 bit graphics. I'm sure everyone would love that.ZZsharpshooter

Must have extreme nostalgia. If you don't like the games, don't play them. I don't care if you miss out on these amazing games.

Not that I don't like them, just that there is not much to do in them.

ZZsharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ZZsharpshooter
[QUOTE="ZZsharpshooter"]

[QUOTE="BladesOfAthena"]Yeah, let's forgo technical advancement and go back to outdated 8 bit graphics. I'm sure everyone would love that.Xander818

Not that I don't like them, just that there is not much to do in them.

Play Fallout 3.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
I think it will be a familiar trend since games cost so much to make nowadays. That's why we'll see multiplayer and co-op a lot more because it adds to the experience and game's value. Also, DLC will be a part of that. I still think JRPGs will still be a lengthy adventure. And I kind of agree with the cut-scene thing with FFXIII. Square-Enix's habit of wanting to be wannabe filmmakers aside, there are still good JRPGs that are coming out which is oddly for the DS. But they're still good so I'm not complaining. JRPGs for next-gen consoles have stagnated a bit.
BladesOfAthena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BladesOfAthena

[QUOTE="BladesOfAthena"]Yeah, let's forgo technical advancement and go back to outdated 8 bit graphics. I'm sure everyone would love that.ZZsharpshooter

Seems like you need to work on your reading comprehension skills. I was being sarcastic.

ZZsharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ZZsharpshooter
[QUOTE="ZZsharpshooter"]

[QUOTE="BladesOfAthena"]Yeah, let's forgo technical advancement and go back to outdated 8 bit graphics. I'm sure everyone would love that.BladesOfAthena

Seems like you need to work on your reading comprehension skills. I was being sarcastic.

I was talking about the OP.

bigd575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

#13 bigd575
Member since 2008 • 6192 Posts
O well I'm sorry you feel this way.
BladesOfAthena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BladesOfAthena

I was talking about the OP.

ZZsharpshooter
Oh...ok. Sorry about that. But you have to be careful who you quote next time.
MartinCaillou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MartinCaillou
Member since 2009 • 84 Posts

I think there are a lot of good games in this generation. I suggest you try Bioshock, Fallout 3, COD4, TLOZ, GTA4, Mario Galaxy. After doing that, i guess you won´t be saying the same.

I love Skies of arcadia, but maybe you are being romantic, and nostalgia is a bit of a trap to memories and feelings.

Maybe YOU changed, and not the games. There is content, good gameplay AND great graphics. There are less risk, of course, because games cost a lot of money and no one wants to lose the investment, but it´s not like the movies or music yet, and we can find original games once in a while. God, movies and music are a disaster lately, no wonder why games are becoming more popular. Let´s enjoy them while we can.

aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 aliblabla2007
Member since 2007 • 16756 Posts
I dunno about the console scene, but on the PC, good games are all over the place.
Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
Canvas_Of_Flesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Canvas_Of_Flesh
Member since 2007 • 4052 Posts

[QUOTE="klusps"]Although games like Resistance might have a short campaign, that's why there is multiplayer. Ever played anything online?Video_Game_King

Multiplayer should never be an excuse for lack of content or a short single player campaign. Many raving fanboys complain about Nintendo abandoning the hardcore, but why the hell do they ignore the industry as a whole moving towards multiplayer at the cost of single player? It's OK when the two work together (MMORPG, for example) or when multiplayer is the sole focus of the game (Super Smash Bros), but not when one takes away from the other.

That's something that really bugs me. I hate when games have a tacked on multiplayer for the sake of having multiplayer...the same goes for multiplayer games that have tacked on single-players. Either spend the same time and effort of both aspects or just concentrate on one.
cooldude1888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 cooldude1888
Member since 2008 • 363 Posts

What the heck at are you talking about, accesories, consoles and games are just getting better.

Its just the start of a new generation of gaming. It wont be long before we see virtual reality

consoles hitting the shelves of www.game.com .

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

As far as I am concerned, gaming is still very fun and still good. Some of the games of today do match the greatness of games from before, but what past games have that current ones don't is nolstalgia, and many people will probably consier older games the best because that is what they grew up with and have special feelings or memories of, and this of course is not current gaming's fault.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
[QUOTE="Video_Game_King"]

[QUOTE="klusps"]Although games like Resistance might have a short campaign, that's why there is multiplayer. Ever played anything online?Canvas_Of_Flesh

That's something that really bugs me. I hate when games have a tacked on multiplayer for the sake of having multiplayer...the same goes for multiplayer games that have tacked on single-players. Either spend the same time and effort of both aspects or just concentrate on one.

Personally, I prefer the tacked on multiplayer if it means that the single-player will be good. I view multiplayer as a minor expansion, and I greatly prefer single-player games. Basic multiplayer is enough for a brief interaction with friends over for a bit of game play.
Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts
There are plenty of good games this generation, and some of them are long RPGs, which seem to be the only games you like.
jjtiebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 jjtiebuckle
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts
Here here! I won't even bother reading your statement and instead, just agree with your topic 100%. They're out there, but very far apart. And no, the hype machine doesn't count.
Insurrection4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Insurrection4
Member since 2007 • 197 Posts

I sit here regularly to read any interesting topic around the forums. I noticed that most people seem to care about what console has better games or graphics.

In my opinion, none of this generation of consoles has any good game. Why?, simple. The games lack lots of content. I don't know how many people remeber the game Skys of Arcadia (for Gamecube) but that was a good game (not the best but was fun). I miss games that had like 40 hours of game or more. Now they come with less than 25 (take Resistance 2 for example, I finished the campaing the day after I bought it, I felt like I threw my money away). Now all game developers care about is graphics and cutscenes (FF13 for example, looks more like FF: Advent Children than a game and MGS4) and less of those little secrets people liked to take that extra time to find in the games.

Xander818

First Person Shooters are always going to be relatively short. The always have been. They're like the blockbuster movies of video games. Big, dumb, fun.

If you want a current gen game that will run you more than 25 hours, play Zelda, Fallout 3, Oblivion, Mass Effect, and almost every RPG ever made this gen.

Also: Play more multiplayer.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

Xander818

You clearly wouldn't recognize a good game if it punched you in the face. Skies of Arkadia would have to be radically improved (the improvement the GC version saw wasn't enough) to work its way up to garbage. There were random encouters with every step, a boring combat system and a story that was horribly cliched even by the low standards of jrpgs. Stop posting nonsense and go play whatever trash you confuse with quality.

Genia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 Genia
Member since 2003 • 185 Posts

I honestly feel like this too sometimes ... but I know for sure that its just me getting older and being much harder to please. Back in the day I could play repetitive games and be super happy and I enjoyed them so much and thought they were so varied with so much content. I still remember then that way ... but you know I went back and played some of them .. and low and behold they felt just as empty as modern games (often more so).

I have accepted the fact that I will rarely be able to immerse myself in games like I used to. My carefree gaming days are over ... but I still love games! A lot. To say the least. Just something of my child/teenage obsession with them has faded. And a good thing too coz I was a true addict. Now its just a not quite health (but almost) interest.

Avatar image for just_nonplussed
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#26 just_nonplussed
Member since 2006 • 4130 Posts

As far as I am concerned, gaming is still very fun and still good. Some of the games of today do match the greatness of games from before, but what past games have that current ones don't is nolstalgia, and many people will probably consier older games the best because that is what they grew up with and have special feelings or memories of, and this of course is not current gaming's fault.

DJ-Lafleur

old games are also designed differently and look and feel different, because they're made on older systems and they were in another era. people don't go back to super metroid simply because of nostalgia; they go back because it was a really good design and metroid fusion was a different experience. it's partly nostalgia, but also because they were different games.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#27 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts
what the hell there are tons of quality titles available this generation.:|
eric_huntley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 eric_huntley
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Play Fallout 3.

My thoughts exactly. It took me about 60 hours to finish fallout 3 and I only uncovered *maybe* 30% of the map. I would imagine it would take hundreds of hours to actually explore the entire map and do all of the side missions. Not only is it an incredibly long game, but it's also an incredibly good game as well.

Mass Effect is also a great game, and although it's not as long as fallout 3, it has the potential to be pretty long.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44672 Posts
I've been gaming ever since the Atari 2600 days and I think the games today are better then they've ever been. These past few years we've been literally bombarded with good games, I can't turn around without bumping into one.
mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#30 mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts
I've been gaming ever since the Atari 2600 days and I think the games today are better then they've ever been. These past few years we've been literally bombarded with good games, I can't turn around without bumping into one.Archangel3371
Im glad I read every post before I post myself. I agree with this 100%. Im 31 and I love games right now. In fact,this current generation cycle is tied for me with the 16 bit generation for the best ever.
sunking20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 sunking20
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I kinda feel the same way someone else posted earlier. I used to be a real game head. I still like games but I guess when you get older and you start experiencing life and have responsibilities, you kinda don't have much time for games anymore. I still like to pick up the joysticks every one in awhile. Oh and another thing, Why have they never they made any controllers for left handed people? they always put the trigger buttons on the right side and that gives some people like me a handicapp cuz my right fingers ain't as nimble.
Avatar image for sharpshooter188
sharpshooter188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 sharpshooter188
Member since 2003 • 4368 Posts
theyve all gone the way of "achievements" and believe that is replay value. No..resident evil 4 had replay value.... not (any variety of 360 game here) and their ...play whole game with just pistol....achievement... Thats not replay value or content. Thats an excuse to save money. Its like the term customer service. Its just an idea brought up from the companies but they arent putting in anymore money to have you go to their store. They just say CUSTOMER SERVICE and....well thats that.
Evilgodmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 Evilgodmonkey
Member since 2009 • 78 Posts

I don't know, I sympathize - there are a lot of games that could use more indepth plots - so many of the games out that boast long hours are completely sidequest driven.

Couple people here said Fallout 3 - yeah, it was great but the main story was only what ... 10-15 hours tops? Personally I could have done with 10-20 less hours of sidequests if that time would have been weaved into a more intricate main story.

Also, you look at non-RPG titles like Gears and even GoW - fantastic games, but pretty light on the story and splitting them up into multiple games doesn't help, either. I mean, what do we really know? Marcus has issues with his dad and Dom misses his chick?

I love graphics and badass gameplay same as any other dude, but, and I think lots of folks would agree, the story is the glue that really holds things together. If there's a fantastic story, that launches a game from adequate or good to great.

DivineDragonZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34 DivineDragonZ
Member since 2004 • 185 Posts
the game industries have alot to compete with now. look at the 360. the main point is if you keep raaising the bar we excpect more and one day it will be just to high
muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
theyve all gone the way of "achievements" and believe that is replay value. No..resident evil 4 had replay value.... not (any variety of 360 game here) and their ...play whole game with just pistol....achievement... Thats not replay value or content. Thats an excuse to save money. Its like the term customer service. Its just an idea brought up from the companies but they arent putting in anymore money to have you go to their store. They just say CUSTOMER SERVICE and....well thats that.sharpshooter188
Right, because all 360 games are only designed to be played for unlocking achievements. None of the games themselves are any good. They're only good when the same game is on a different platform...
aaaceventura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 aaaceventura
Member since 2009 • 30 Posts
there are good games, but our expectation are pretty high these days. but, its true, some companies just keep doing the same thing over and over.