What Genres Do You Want To See Get VR Support?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gamespot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1 gamespot
Member since 2003 • 901283 Posts

The "future of gaming" will be here before we know it. VR has increasingly been talked about in recent news. The president of Sony's Worldwide Studios, has said he'd like to see the next Gran Turismo game on PlayStation 4 support the company's virtual reality headset. This got us thinking. What video game genres would you like to see get VR support?

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

None, I can see the 3D goggle causing more harm that improving gaming. The worse is that part people are going to try to defend it with a subjective ideal.

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 loafofgame
Member since 2013 • 1742 Posts

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of VR either. Of course, how would I know, I never tried it. That said, at this point, VR seems more like a theme park ride, something that's obviously cool, but not something I would want to do all the time. But I guess it'd be cool in Horror, Racing, Shooters and some Simulators. Anything with a first person perspective, I suppose.

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 ojmstr
Member since 2003 • 1947 Posts

Three words "No Man's Sky" :D It's gonna happen!

davillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 davillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 48406 Posts

I'll say Horror needs to take every advantage of VR, to give you that scare moments. Look at Dead Space, VR would be awesome for it and also Alien: Isolation would be way cooler to use VR. With that, I'll go with Horror.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#6 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14183 Posts

Racing games, or Rollercoaster Tycoon like games where you can ride the coasters and rides.

yukushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 yukushi
Member since 2011 • 2368 Posts

Open world games would be great can you imagine driving around and going to a stripclub in grand theft auto with VR.

FenrirsPack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FenrirsPack
Member since 2015 • 95 Posts

I would love to see old style point and click adventures like Myst get remade with VR support. Those games are all about exploring and immersion. VR compliments that.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11456 Posts

Other:

None. I don't see VR ever being worth it.

Longclaw360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Longclaw360
Member since 2015 • 115 Posts

Horror definitely seems like the genre that will be most enhanced by VR.

scarred_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#11 scarred_fox
Member since 2005 • 583 Posts

I just want to see all of Half Life in VR...and elder scrolls and fall out

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#12 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

The future of gaming? sorry but that is not even close to the truth.

VR is a gimmick and we are far away from it ever having the tech to be anything but that,

So i do not have a wish to see any game genre get VR since i wouldn't be using it at all.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 wiouds

@Jacanuk said:

The future of gaming? sorry but that is not even close to the truth.

VR is a gimmick and we are far away from it ever having the tech to be anything but that,

So i do not have a wish to see any game genre get VR since i wouldn't be using it at all.

I find VR to be the 3D part of the movies. It helps a few movies but does little to nothing for most movies. Worse it hurt more movies than it improves.

To me VR has nothing to do with the the way you see the world but how the world acts. So it more about how the setting work with.

Trinisete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Trinisete
Member since 2015 • 30 Posts

I would love to play adventure games on VR, but not zelda and stuff (that for me is a Action RPG). I talking about the good old point and click and the likes of The Walking Dead.

If not that... racing for sure.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2053 Posts

I'd like to see vr on rpg's like fallout.

It'd really enhance the escapism aspect.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 16415 Posts

Typical, predictable closed-minded responses in here. "It's just a gimmick, it'll never be big", yada yada yada. Translation: "I won't be able to use or afford it, or just am not interested, therefor I'm going to downplay and belittle it". Of course.

I don't understand why so many are so dismissive. It's almost like they view VR as a threat. It's never going to replace traditional gaming if that's what people are so fearful of, and it will never be like 3D movies where it's shoehorned into every game. It will be a new market, very niche initially, but nevertheless one that will steadily but surely grow as newer versions advance capability (eye tracking) while also dropping the price. Especially with companies that have immense resources like Facebook and those that have a massive foothold in the gaming industry such as Valve with a widely adopted and well know distribution platform being at the forefront of the VR push. Those who believe this is just some gimmick that is going to die off soon after release don't seem to be seeing this. This technology could not ask to be better supported by relevant companies in the position to see it to widespread exposure, adoption, and eventual success. This will not happen overnight, but I'm almost certain it will happen.

As for genres--the potential across a wide spectrum is tremendously exciting, and not just for gaming. Education, 3D modelling, sporting events, theatre, movies. For gaming, initially I'm interested in the simulation genre (DCS modules, Star Citizen, and racing sims), but further down the road I'd love to see first person adventure games and/or RPGs using the Touch or Vive's controls. Horror as well. But at the moment I'm more interested in creative tools as I love 3D art and these look like a shitload of fun to play around in:

Loading Video...

and this:

Loading Video...

So I say bring on VR. I'm hugely enthusiastic for it and personally can't wait as I've used it in the past and it was quite the experience. I can't even imagine what it'll be like with today's technology.

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#17  Edited By Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

I've never been able to get behind the VR things. The idea of every game being turned into a first person. Nah. There is something about seeing your character interact with the envroiment that I like in games. First person is good and all, but i wouldn't buy a system that limits my games so much, any if it did support other stuff like 2d or third person games, i'll prefer to play them without that thing strapped to my face. Although if I did own one I am so going to get it modded to look like a facehugger.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SOedipus  Online
Member since 2006 • 13552 Posts

First person view games.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MirkoS77

@Evil_Saluki: every game won't use VR. This fear is irrational....it's like saying just because a joystick is being invented that every game is now going to turn into a flight simulator. VR will initially exist in a (relatively) very small, enthusiastic, core market in comparison to the rest of the industry for at least the next 5-10 years is my prediction.

It's so drastically divergent that it'll remain a very specialized, exclusionary experience, so much so that it's obviously going to impose limits on how exactly it can be utilized in a variety of genres simply due to the nature of how it functions, and due to that, will be forced to carve out its own corner in the gaming arena.

And if it doesn't, then it will ultimately falter and fail. Traditional PC/console gaming and their interfaces are never going to go away or be entirely replaced with VR, just complimented by it while in addition also offering up exclusive content only capable with the features the new technologies afford.

I'm totally with you on the facehugger mod, awesome idea.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 8103 Posts

it's more of a curiosity for me at the moment and i think it will only really excel with specific genres but i'm optimistic about the potential it has to revolutionise these genres, in particular strategy, horror, exploration and simulator games.

imagine commanding armies over a vast battlefield in total war games from first person, discovering new worlds / conducting epic space battles in space strategy / exploration games like sins of a solar empire / no man's sky / star citizen or the crazy intense atmosphere it could create in horror games like alien isolation and outlast.

i'm concerned that only the pc will be able to provide a decent experience with it for many years due to the lack of fire power in the current crop of consoles (graphical realism is key) and no doubt there will be a ton of filler / blatant cash grabs with it but i think there is massive potential there nonetheless. whether it's realised or not only time will tell but there's some very big companies throwing huge amounts of resources at it so it'll be given every chance to succeed

sa18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 sa18
Member since 2009 • 82 Posts

@GameSpot: none i dont like vr.

Avatar image for deactivated-58183aaaa31d8
deactivated-58183aaaa31d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-58183aaaa31d8
Member since 2015 • 2238 Posts

@GameSpot: Well anything with a first person view will be able to benefit from this. My main issue is that I know the novelty of having the headset on will run out eventually.

There will come a time when walking to the edge of a cliff in an open world game will stop giving you vertigo for example (if it even does to start with). Bit hard to get vertigo when sat on your ass in your living room.

Also the matter of how to control it. Using motion controls and stuff is fine for gimmicky tech demos but when you just want to sit down and relax at home? I sure don't envision myself sitting down in an evening and waving my arms around. I will eventually go back to regular controllers and if that is the case then why even bother with the headset in the first place?

It is this exact reason why Wii sold millions and yet they were sat next to people's TVs not being used most of the time. They were cheap gimmicks that people pulled out at Christmas when the family was over so they could play Wii Sports. Most people didn't use them as their primary console.

I called it the first time I even heard about VR headsets. They will be a niche peripheral for niche genres used by a small minority of enthusiasts and nothing more.

Companies don't know some inside secret. So many companies are jumping on the VR bandwaggon because they know that IF VR takes off then they don't want to be left to the side. They don't know if it will or not they are just covering their asses. Personally I see a lot of companies ending up burned by this.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 8103 Posts

@dexda said:

I called it the first time I even heard about VR headsets. They will be a niche peripheral for niche genres used by a small minority of enthusiasts and nothing more.

Companies don't know some inside secret. So many companies are jumping on the VR bandwaggon because they know that IF VR takes off then they don't want to be left to the side. They don't know if it will or not they are just covering their asses. Personally I see a lot of companies ending up burned by this.

if only all these market leading companies would've consulted you instead of the teams of highly skilled experts they employ, they could have saved themselves billions. all you needed to do was hear about vr for the first time to arrive at a conclusion. these experts have wasted years researching and experimenting to arrive at theirs. when will they learn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-58183aaaa31d8

@Macutchi: I never said they shouldn't have made the headsets. They may very well prove me wrong yet. I just think that it isn't going to give the fruit they or anyone else is hoping for.

Businesses take punts at technology all the time. Hell Sony and Microsoft between them have had enough failures. All I'm saying is that businesses releasing VR isn't proof that it will do well, it is just proof that they are willing to gamble "just in case" it is successful.

I mentioned VR to my family the other day. Not one of them had heard of it before or of any of the recent advances. They also didn't care after I'd finished explaining.

So good luck to them getting their millions back when the mainstream most likely won't give two f*cks.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 wiouds

@MirkoS77 said:

@Evil_Saluki: every game won't use VR. This fear is irrational....it's like saying just because a joystick is being invented that every game is now going to turn into a flight simulator. VR will initially exist in a (relatively) very small, enthusiastic, core market in comparison to the rest of the industry for at least the next 5-10 years is my prediction.

It's so drastically divergent that it'll remain a very specialized, exclusionary experience, so much so that it's obviously going to impose limits on how exactly it can be utilized in a variety of genres simply due to the nature of how it functions, and due to that, will be forced to carve out its own corner in the gaming arena.

And if it doesn't, then it will ultimately falter and fail. Traditional PC/console gaming and their interfaces are never going to go away or be entirely replaced with VR, just complimented by it while in addition also offering up exclusive content only capable with the features the new technologies afford.

As I said before the 3d goggles are like 3D movie. It help only a few. It also hurts many movies. As they try to force the 3D elements into them. Worse when they break any immersion by breaking the fourth wall like how first person in games does all the time.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

I voted shooters, but racing and horror games would be great too. I'd probably be too chicken to play horror games in VR though. :P

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MirkoS77

@wiouds said:
@MirkoS77 said:

As I said before the 3d goggles are like 3D movie. It help only a few. It also hurts many movies. As they try to force the 3D elements into them. Worse when they break any immersion by breaking the fourth wall like how first person in games does all the time.

Seldom do I see 3D movies nowadays where a non 3D version is an option for those that don't want it and it will be the same with VR. Developers understand that not many people will have it, so it will not be implemented in most games, and if it is, it will be complimentary and not mandatory aside from exclusive software. Like with Star Citizen, you can use VR, but you will also be able to use track IR, or none at all. But if you want to play with Medium or Tilt Brush, you'll need it. Developers are not stupid, they know it will be niche and will act accordingly.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MirkoS77

@dexda said:

It is this exact reason why Wii sold millions and yet they were sat next to people's TVs not being used most of the time. They were cheap gimmicks that people pulled out at Christmas when the family was over so they could play Wii Sports. Most people didn't use them as their primary console.

Not really a valid comparison, VR isn't anywhere near analogous to the Wii. You're absolutely right.....the Wii was a cheap gimmick that was sold on the false promise of something that just wasn't there to grant any type of experience it was advertised or capable of providing at the time. Also, the audience that largely bought into it were not the core but the ignorant and naive casuals who did not care one iota about games or technology in the first place. That's who it was marketed to, and that combined with the technology's limitations (that would've retained the core's interest) were ultimately why it initially skyrocketed and then was subsequently forgotten.

VR is different on both counts. Firstly, nothing is being promised that isn't shown, and people will understand this before it releases. VR is being much more transparent with its capabilities than Nintendo ever was with the Wii's Wiimote prior to its release. Secondly, those VR is targeted at are a very core, enthusiastic, sustainable market who understand its potential and limitations. VR's not going to blow up and then fade a few years later into the corners of peoples' garages like the Wii did, it's going to do the exact opposite: start out very small and slowly but steadily grow over the years, which is how a sustainable market works. It would greatly concern me if VR blew up on release. It's probably not going to ever reach into anything we could even begin to qualify as mainstream I'd agree, but it doesn't need to to find success.

At this point, I think VR will always be a safe bet, because gaming is only a small segment of its potential applications. Applications that have been using VR for decades already in various industries. Now we're finally approaching a point where technology is not only capable, but affordable enough to bring it to the average Joe Blow consumer, and the tech will only improve from here while the price also falls. Facebook sees this, as does Valve, as does heavyweights such as John Carmack. I have faith as they have faith.

And if it fails, then it fails, but not before I get my hands on it. :)

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#29 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Simulation and adventure would be interesting. As a side note, I would like to see more gamification of education. Gamification is not gaming, but it is something that I would like to benefit from by utilizing this technology.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By johnd13
Member since 2011 • 10598 Posts

Aside from racing and horror, I'd also like to see RPGs like Skyrim seamlessly incorporate VR.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By deactivated-58183aaaa31d8

@MirkoS77: The core hardcore market is a MINORITY in gaming. VR will NEVER be mainstream if it doesn't grab the attention of the casuals because they make up most of the gaming population.

And how can you change the world and change how we view and interact with entertainment if you don't have the majority of people behind you? The answer is it won't. VR will take its seat next to 3D, Kinect and motion controls as another gimmick device that failed to gain widespread adoption.

It sucks but the truth is that the casuals are the majority in gaming and their purchases fund the developer's pay cheques. Without them it is destined to failure. You'll never get top end AAA titles being made for VR if the user base isn't big enough.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#32 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:
@dexda said:

Not really a valid comparison, VR isn't anywhere near analogous to the Wii. You're absolutely right.....the Wii was a cheap gimmick that was sold on the false promise of something that just wasn't there to grant any type of experience it was advertised or capable of providing at the time. Also, the audience that largely bought into it were not the core but the ignorant and naive casuals who did not care one iota about games or technology in the first place. That's who it was marketed to, and that combined with the technology's limitations (that would've retained the core's interest) were ultimately why it initially skyrocketed and then was subsequently forgotten.

VR is different on both counts. Firstly, nothing is being promised that isn't shown, and people will understand this before it releases. VR is being much more transparent with its capabilities than Nintendo ever was with the Wii's Wiimote prior to its release. Secondly, those VR is targeted at are a very core, enthusiastic, sustainable market who understand its potential and limitations. VR's not going to blow up and then fade a few years later into the corners of peoples' garages like the Wii did, it's going to do the exact opposite: start out very small and slowly but steadily grow over the years, which is how a sustainable market works. It would greatly concern me if VR blew up on release. It's probably not going to ever reach into anything we could even begin to qualify as mainstream I'd agree, but it doesn't need to to find success.

At this point, I think VR will always be a safe bet, because gaming is only a small segment of its potential applications. Applications that have been using VR for decades already in various industries. Now we're finally approaching a point where technology is not only capable, but affordable enough to bring it to the average Joe Blow consumer, and the tech will only improve from here while the price also falls. Facebook sees this, as does Valve, as does heavyweights such as John Carmack. I have faith as they have faith.

You do know right that everything you put here and in bold is exactly what most are saying, VR will find its small core nieche audience , but for most it will never pass the "gimmick" stage. Most being the "casuals" you seem to forget is what makes the wheel spin for most gaming developers and publishers, since they are the ones who have the numbers to make or break games and also hardware.

Also its funny hearing you talk about the Wii like it's a huge failure, it only sold around 100mill , or wait that's maybe the problem. At least for people who have their identity as a gamer tied up in "true/hardcore" vs "casual"

So sure VR won´t fail as such, but i am 99.99% sure that it will never be mainstream and change "gaming" or be the future of gaming.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#34 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

Racers seem like a good place to begin for VR. I'm also excited to see what the future is like for space sims and VR. Elite Dangerous already looks pretty sweet with VR, and No Man's Sky and Star Citizen could maybe build upon that.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MirkoS77

@Jacanuk said:
@MirkoS77 said:
@dexda said:

You do know right that everything you put here and in bold is exactly what most are saying, VR will find its small core nieche audience , but for most it will never pass the "gimmick" stage. Most being the "casuals" you seem to forget is what makes the wheel spin for most gaming developers and publishers, since they are the ones who have the numbers to make or break games and also hardware.

Also its funny hearing you talk about the Wii like it's a huge failure, it only sold around 100mill , or wait that's maybe the problem. At least for people who have their identity as a gamer tied up in "true/hardcore" vs "casual"

So sure VR won´t fail as such, but i am 99.99% sure that it will never be mainstream and change "gaming" or be the future of gaming.

You do know right that everything you put here and in bold is exactly missing the point?

VR, unlike the Kinect, 3D in movies, the Move, Wiimote, or whatever other failed gimmicks you and others would like to assign VR to before it even releases differs in one crucial aspect: it can be utilized for a variety of industries and interests that are not related to gaming nor are exclusionary. VR's success is not entirely contingent on whether gamers embrace it. If it shows and delivers on the promise for movies, sporting events, education, 3D development, the medical field, military applications, tourism, not least to mention the porn industry (among others), you don't think the numbers required to "make or break" this technology will be coming in from every direction?

Do people honestly believe that VR's fate is somehow going to be determined solely due to gamers' predilections and good humor, when it's standing to be adopted in light of such markets? Does the world suddenly revolve around gamers? It very well could still become mainstream in spite of their indifference.

VR can be utilized for many things, and because of that, I eventually see it selling far better than just being bought by a few users in their basements and eventually gaining enough traction to warrant accordance by developers. To what extent....who can say. Will it remain niche in gaming? Remains to be seen, probably (at least initially), but if people can be convinced it's a wise investment after seeing the possibilities that will become available to them not just in gaming but in a multitude of areas aforementioned, perhaps widespread adoption is not such an unrealistic hope?

And yes, the Wii was fucking garbage, a fad, and a failure insofar that it didn't change anything. If it wasn't a failure, where's its lasting relevance? Seems to me we're back to using traditional controllers and interfaces. Just goes to show that adoption by the mainstream is not indicative of success, which when speaking on technology, is defined in the long-term. Being able to sustain itself on the market either through a core demographic or casual one (no, using these terms aren't a problem unless you see yourself as holier than thou, they are simply convenient vernacular for sake of argument) is what matters. I'm betting VR will be able to survive given its backing and breadth to acceptable market penetration......gaming or no gaming.

@dexda

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By wiouds

@MirkoS77 said:
@Jacanuk said:
@MirkoS77 said:
@dexda said:

You do know right that everything you put here and in bold is exactly missing the point?

VR, unlike the Kinect, 3D in movies, the Move, Wiimote, or whatever other failed gimmicks you and others would like to assign VR to before it even releases differs in one crucial aspect: it can be utilized for a variety of industries and interests that are not related to gaming nor are exclusionary. VR's success is not entirely contingent on whether gamers embrace it. If it shows and delivers on the promise for movies, sporting events, education, 3D development, the medical field, military applications, tourism, not least to mention the porn industry (among others), you don't think the numbers required to "make or break" this technology will be coming in from every direction?

Do people honestly believe that VR's fate is somehow going to be determined solely due to gamers' predilections and good humor, when it's standing to be adopted in light of such markets? Does the world suddenly revolve around gamers? It very well could still become mainstream in spite of their indifference.

VR can be utilized for many things, and because of that, I eventually see it selling far better than just being bought by a few users in their basements and eventually gaining enough traction to warrant accordance by developers. To what extent....who can say. Will it remain niche in gaming? Remains to be seen, probably (at least initially), but if people can be convinced it's a wise investment after seeing the possibilities that will become available to them not just in gaming but in a multitude of areas aforementioned, perhaps widespread adoption is not such an unrealistic hope?

And yes, the Wii was fucking garbage, a fad, and a failure insofar that it didn't change anything. If it wasn't a failure, where's its lasting relevance? Seems to me we're back to using traditional controllers and interfaces. Just goes to show that adoption by the mainstream is not indicative of success, which when speaking on technology, is defined in the long-term. Being able to sustain itself on the market either through a core demographic or casual one (no, using these terms aren't a problem unless you see yourself as holier than thou, they are simply convenient vernacular for sake of argument) is what matters. I'm betting VR will be able to survive given its backing and breadth to acceptable market penetration......gaming or no gaming.

@dexda

It does not matter how many usages it has if people are not going to use it. I do not see some physiological babble about viewing the eyes of the other gender as something that will make other want it. Yes that is one thing people are doing with them.

I see the Kinect having usages outside of gaming. In fact I can see the Kinect having just as many of not more home usage for the than the 3D goggles and it has not taken off.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MirkoS77

@wiouds said:
@MirkoS77 said:

@dexda

It does not matter how many usages it has if people are not going to use it. I do not see some physiological babble about viewing the eyes of the other gender as something that will make other want it. Yes that is one thing people are doing with them.

I see the Kinect having usages outside of gaming. In fact I can see the Kinect having just as many of not more home usage for the than the 3D goggles and it has not taken off.

What usages does Kinect have outside of gaming comparable to VR? It is tied to machines produced by one company whose main focus is entertainment with functionality far less than what VR grants. VR is not restricted to any business nor a demographic that predominantly purchases it for that purpose. You aren't going to see Kinect in the classroom teaching people hands-on anatomy, geography, or architectural design, you aren't going to see it at entertainment parks, or used by 3D designers. Kinect is far more limited in capability than VR could ever be. Not to mention the tech is going to constantly improve. We'll see gloves that will allow for more accurate manipulation with haptic feedback, eye tracking implementation, so on and so forth.

I predict we're going to see VR slowly being introduced into colleges, amusement parks, hospitals, etc. People and professionals will find use for it. It's not prohibitively expensive anymore running $15-20k per kit, now it's down to around $1500+ from the ground up. That's really not all that expensive for what it's offering. If this technology is ignored at the price given what it can do and fails, I'll be shocked. Maybe I'll be proven completely wrong in time, and if so I'll concede so, but I just don't see it.

And dismiss porn all you want (if that's what you're alluding to in your first paragraph), but it's common knowledge that both the porn and defense industries are mainly responsible for new technology gaining a foothold. Sad it may be people using flesh flashlights and HMDs to get off, it's the reality.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By wiouds

@MirkoS77 said:
@wiouds said:
@MirkoS77 said:

@dexda

What usages does Kinect have outside of gaming comparable to VR? It is tied to machines produced by one company whose main focus is entertainment with functionality far less than what VR grants. VR is not restricted to any business nor a demographic that predominantly purchases it for that purpose. You aren't going to see Kinect in the classroom teaching people hands-on anatomy, geography, or architectural design, you aren't going to see it at entertainment parks, or used by 3D designers. Kinect is far more limited in capability than VR could ever be. Not to mention the tech is going to constantly improve. We'll see gloves that will allow for more accurate manipulation with haptic feedback, eye tracking implementation, so on and so forth.

I predict we're going to see VR slowly being introduced into colleges, amusement parks, hospitals, etc. People and professionals will find use for it. It's not prohibitively expensive anymore running $15-20k per kit, now it's down to around $1500+ from the ground up. That's really not all that expensive for what it's offering. If this technology is ignored at the price given what it can do and fails, I'll be shocked. Maybe I'll be proven completely wrong in time, and if so I'll concede so, but I just don't see it.

And dismiss porn all you want (if that's what you're alluding to in your first paragraph), but it's common knowledge that both the porn and defense industries are mainly responsible for new technology gaining a foothold. Sad it may be people using flesh flashlights and HMDs to get off, it's the reality.

I read the same type of comments about how useful the 3d goggles will be when the Kinect was about to be release. The same high boasting about how useful Kinect will be outside of gaming.

There is a reason we are still using the qwerty keyboard.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#40 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5890 Posts

I'm hoping for none. I don't see the appeal of VR gaming.

gmak2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41 gmak2442
Member since 2015 • 1054 Posts

@GameSpot: Since I like shooters a lot I guess voting for shooter make sense. This thread let me think about how good VR could change fps games around.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MirkoS77

@wiouds: well, time will tell.

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

I, too, believe that VR will be used more outside of gaming. I definitely see it being used in the medical field and as a teaching tool.

In regards to this thread and the poll, I'd like to see flight simulators make a comeback and support VR. I think that would be really immersive and fun. Looking around in the cockpit would be cool, as well as looking above you as other planes fly by.