What games in your opinion have some of the best & most exciting openings/introductions/set-ups?

#1 Edited by Speeny (1978 posts) -

To clarify what I'm trying to say is, what games in the beginning have set things up in a way where you instantly think: "Wow, this is some really exciting content and a great introduction to game and what's to come." Kind of letting you in on the scope of the particular world and story just from the initial couple of hours being in-game.

Final Fantasy VII (Only played this one recently & introduction/set-up in this game was great. The beginning content in Midgar was very well put together and exciting. Really gave you a good grasp of what was to come.)

Kingdom Hearts II (A lot of people find the Roxas opening stuff to be very boring, but I think it is still to this day one of my most favourite introductions to any video game. The lead up to playing as Sora is what really makes it too.)

Final Fantasy X (I liked how straight off the bat you got an idea of Zanarkand & Tidus's backstory. The introduction of Wakka and the others + intitial gameplay on Besaid was fun.)

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past/The Legend of Zelda: Windwaker (Both great introductions but I always loved how in ALTTP you'd wander up to the castle while it's storming. Sneaking through the secret hole in the ground and picking up the sword and shield from your uncle. Windwakers set-up was good. Running around town and throwing pots at people was always a laugh too.

Other mentions: Rayman 3 Hoodlum Havoc, Mario 64, Mario Odyssey.

#2 Posted by DoomNukem3D (396 posts) -

Mother 3

#3 Edited by npiet1 (2527 posts) -

I loved the intro scene to halo 5. Byt other than that I can't think of any others I loved.

Duke Nukem forever has the worst intro ever after the stadium. It's really cringey.

#4 Posted by sakaiXx (6077 posts) -

Mine tends to go to old ps2 era games. Dev then make efforts to make great opening hours/set up personally.

• Persona 3 - All time Fav
  • God of War 2018
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Suikoden 2
  • Fire Emblem (GBA)
  • Bloodborne - My personal fav on recent games. They set up challenges leading up to first (and optional) boss so amazingly. You either get good at parrying, or delete the game.

#5 Posted by thereal25 (1832 posts) -

fallout 3

#6 Posted by RSM-HQ (8610 posts) -

Monster Hunter 4/ 4G-U- Starts with fighting an Elder Dragon on the sands while you are arming the boat to deal with the threat

Handled the introduction to the game, tutorial, and set-up far better than MH:World.

#7 Posted by Clefdefa (750 posts) -

God Of War 3 had quite and Epic intro/boss battle

Bloodborne was amazing

Mortal Kombat 11 story mode intro was badass with Raiden turned into an evil persecutor

I also like the intro of Devil May Cry 3 with Dante and Vergil both into a battle so intense that rain didn't have the time to touch the floor.

#8 Posted by VagrantSnow (377 posts) -

Red Alert 1 and 2 both have really good intros. Dawn of War 1 as well. Final Liberation, Total Annihilation. Lots of old strategy games had really cool intros.

#9 Edited by warmblur (3025 posts) -

Indigo Prophecy although I know I'm in the minority of loving this game but the opening diner murder scene started off so strong then it took a nose dive.

#10 Posted by dagubot (1382 posts) -

God of War 2018 had an epic intro.

#11 Posted by RSM-HQ (8610 posts) -
@dagubot said:

Did it? I recall cutting a tree and slow walking a log through the forest to the river. . .

#12 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (19282 posts) -

BioShock comes to mind.

#13 Edited by mrbojangles25 (44402 posts) -

Half-Life. Mechanically, one of the simpler (boring, even; all you do is ride a tram) introductions, but that whole tram ride in with all the "mad science" stuff going on around you, then the fateful moment you put the unknown element into the machine. Greatest introduction ever. Pure tension, suspense, and even terror. You go from a ho-hum "just another day at the crazy science lab" commute to "OH MY FRIGGIN' GOD WHAT"S happening gimme my crowbar AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

@RSM-HQ said:
@dagubot said:

Did it? I recall cutting a tree and slow walking a log through the forest to the river. . .

There was also a leisurely boat ride with your son. C'mon give it some credit, those waters were exciting and dangerous! Wait, no...

#14 Posted by RSM-HQ (8610 posts) -
@mrbojangles25 said:

There was also a leisurely boat ride with your son. C'mon give it some credit, those waters were exciting and dangerous! Wait, no...

Boat rides are loading screens, much like climbing.

Which is quite funny because previous GoW games had actual combat mechanics during hikes, and they got far more advance up to GoW3. In GoW(4) it's a complete safe zone because the intent is to load a different area with minimal in-game code to interfere.

Cory Barlogs ideas certainly did come across as clever, but anyone with a clear-eye can tell it's padding to load the game.

Doesn't help that they have the bifrost and door bridges as well serving as loading screens. When you break it down at least 30% of GoW(4) is a loading screen lol.

Still a pretty good game, terrible camera and puzzles though. The camera at least should have been optional, a quick classic perspective in options would have worked wonders.

#15 Posted by Speeny (1978 posts) -

@mrbojangles25: Oh yeah, I remember Half Life too. Never completed it but that opening sure was great.

#16 Posted by Archangel3371 (28553 posts) -

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past definitely had an excellent opening section.

#17 Posted by Speeny (1978 posts) -

@Archangel3371: I'm with you on that.

#18 Edited by Yams1980 (3608 posts) -

Worst for sure was Metal Gear Solid 5. Felt like I was in that hospital for almost an hour crawling around, the rest of the game was great fun most of the time, except a few of the repetitive missions at the end to draw out the games length.

Best is any game that throws you into the action right away, no long dialog lines to read or listen to or long cutscenes to watch. You should instantly be playing the game the second you start it up. I always thought Chrono Cross had an interesting start... you started right into the action a some point into the game, you aren't exactly sure where in time the games taking place until later on. Weird part is each time you start a new game, you have one random person in your party with you along with yourself and Kid for that brief intro part, which I always found interesting.

#19 Posted by Sevenizz (4075 posts) -

Medal of Honor Frontline (D Day) and the next game in the franchise MoH Rising Sun (Pearl Harbour attack) come to mind of epic intros. Both games kinda fizzled after that (especially Rising Sun).

#20 Edited by sakaiXx (6077 posts) -

@RSM-HQ said:

Monster Hunter 4/ 4G-U- Starts with fighting an Elder Dragon on the sands while you are arming the boat to deal with the threat

Handled the introduction to the game, tutorial, and set-up far better than MH:World.

Then proceeds to ask you to collect herbs about 5 times before you get your 2nd monster mission

#21 Posted by RSM-HQ (8610 posts) -
@sakaixx said:

Then proceeds to ask you to collect herbs about 5 times before you get your 2nd monster mission

Oh? so you haven't played Monster Hunter 4 in any shape-or-form. Thanks for the clarity.

#22 Posted by sakaiXx (6077 posts) -

@RSM-HQ: welcome. Monster hunter always had very good intro (fav is mh3rd intro) but 1star toturials is as always, shit. lets not lie on this

#23 Edited by RSM-HQ (8610 posts) -
@sakaixx said:

@RSM-HQ: welcome. Monster hunter always had very good intro (fav is mh3rd intro) but 1star toturials is as always, shit. lets not lie on this

I think the game you reference does a serviceable tutorial teaching basic essentials to any Hunter, while also keeping the time minimal. So you can get carving and trapping in no-time. Even then, MHP3rd does nothing better than MH4 series (outside having a home console release)

MH4 never demands you to gather herbs, though tutorial two does make it part of one (teaching item combinations) and first-aid can be grabbed in the supply chest easily. You're hunting by the third quest. And the first is cooking one well-done or rare steak. Which takes about thirty seconds to gather the resource and make the meat.

Post-intro you are hunting a Great Jaggi in five minutes or less, maybe a little longer for first timers taking in the series mechanics/ playing with Poogie

And that's assuming you didn't just ditch and go straight to the Gathering Hall for hunts.

Now compare that to MH:W, which starts by telling you how to ****ing walk, how to go up a ****ing wall. Don't play with others because cutscenes. . Cue another slow walk section. . This is the stealth part. . Here is a 'quest' dedicated to the SOS mechanic. . And it goes on, and on. . BLEH

I love Monster Hunter: World but the beginning is for complete idiots, and overstays its welcome. At least MH4 gets the veins pumping and keeps the tutorial section minimalistic (and optional) All things World failed to accomplish in the introduction.

#24 Edited by DEVILinIRON (5003 posts) -

@mrbojangles25: I was going to say Half-Life too. :)

I just started playing Ash of Gods and the beginning had lots of tension and setup things rather well.

#25 Posted by sakaiXx (6077 posts) -

@RSM-HQ: of course I am referencing the tutorials that caravan gives you. Its like those thing that every new hunter does no matter what ver. Its shit.

Anyhow MH always has great intros and MH4 is no exception. In MHfrontier unite I think it was a cutscene of tigrex while in MH3rd is zinorge and in MHW is zorah. After that always comes the shit tutorials.

#26 Posted by RSM-HQ (8610 posts) -
@sakaixx said:

Anyhow MH always has great intros and MH4 is no exception. In MHfrontier unite I think it was a cutscene of tigrex while in MH3rd is zinorge and in MHW is zorah. After that always comes the shit tutorials.

Tigrex and Zinogre are two of my all time favorites (please bring em back for Iceborne!!). Zorah Magdaros however was terrible though, that's the only point I was making. And the tutorial section long-winded, and worst the series has thrown together.

Sure Magdaros is slightly better fight as a Arch Temp, because you actually need the Dragonator and cannons.

Doesn't change that for the introduction you simple walk, scale its arm, cutscene, then walk like an idiot in the Ancient Forest waiting for events to trigger, with four more cutscenes. No 'hunting' what-so-ever. At least ten minutes. In that time most would already be MH4 slapping a GJ in the face.

#27 Posted by Valgaav_219 (2522 posts) -

- Final Fantasy VIII

- God of War 3

- Parasite Eve

- Red Dead Redemption 2

- Uncharted 2(I like how the very beginning is really the middle of the game then they take you back to show you how you got there)

#28 Posted by mandzilla (4195 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater for me.

'Okay so I have to infiltrate the Soviet Union in order to complete my mission, cool. Better pack a scarf... tropical jungle, what the heck?!'

Awesome intro to a silly fun game.