What games in recent years turned out to be some of your favourites?

#1 Posted by Speeny (1374 posts) -

For me, Mario Odyssey & A Hat in Time.

#2 Posted by robert_sparkes (2791 posts) -

Dragon age inquisition very late to the party and thoroughly enjoyed my time with it. Sadly doubt we see a new one.

#3 Posted by Gamerno6666 (6622 posts) -

God of War, Bloodborne and RDR 2.

#4 Posted by sakaiXx (5161 posts) -

Bloodborne and Nier Automata for new ip or ip/series I never played before.

Avatar image for yammireckorrdsan
#5 Posted by YammiReckorrdSan (586 posts) -

Way too many to count. I'm relatively new to gaming. I started to play "seriously" only on PS3 era, so most of my favourite games are PS3/ PS4/ 3DS games.

#6 Posted by Vaidream45 (1767 posts) -

A night in the woods

Mass effect 2

The Messenger

Octopath Traveler

#7 Posted by judaspete (2894 posts) -

ARMS. A throwback to Dreamcast era fighting games with a unique and innovative hook.

#8 Posted by Blazepanzer24 (141 posts) -

Pokemon Sun, Hearts of iron 4, Spyro reignited trilogy, Digimon story cyber sluth (PS4) and Game Dev Tycoon.

#9 Posted by RSM-HQ (8113 posts) -

Dusk

Tearaway

Splatoon 2

Pokémon Sun/ Moon

The Evil Within 2

Monster Hunter: World

Makai Senki Disgaea Refine

Dark Souls III

Owlboy

Dragon's Crown

D00M (4)

Divinity: Original Sin II

Guilty Gear Xrd REV2

War for the Overworld

Resident Evil 2 Remake

#10 Posted by Speeny (1374 posts) -

@RSM-HQ: I’ve been wanting to give Owlboy a shot for a while now.

#11 Posted by RSM-HQ (8113 posts) -

@speeny: It's a nice twist of Arcade Shooter and MetroidVania. Pretty short game and wouldn't take long to finish.

Would have liked to name games like Gravity Daze 2 and Nex Machina, but they suffer for being intentionally disorientating.

#12 Posted by robert_sparkes (2791 posts) -

Ryse was a surprise went into with no expectation. Enjoyed my play through was a challenge and the game still looks great. It seems all the games I want to get sequels probably never will.

#13 Posted by Sevenizz (3418 posts) -

Original Titanfall. One of the best and most polished multiplayer game’s I’ve ever played.

Sadly, it’s sequel wasn’t as good.

#14 Posted by Byshop (19522 posts) -

Return of the Obra Dinn. This is the most satisfying game mystery I've played in a while.

-Byshop

#15 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (18558 posts) -

Define recent?

For the last couple of years:

• RDR 2
  • Hellblade
  • Super Mario Odyssey
  • What Remains of Edith Finch
  • Nier Automata
  • Forza Horizon 4

etc.

#16 Posted by Renegade_Fury (20465 posts) -
  • Sonic Mania Plus
  • Witcher 3
  • Yakuza 0, 6, Kiwami 1 & 2, Ishin
  • Persona 5
  • Nioh
  • Bloodborne
  • Valkyria Chronicles 4
  • Gravity Rush 2
  • Nier Automata
  • Mega Man 11
  • RDR2

etc.

#17 Posted by warmblur (1978 posts) -
  • GTAV SP only PC version lost count how many times I replayed it.
  • Until Dawn
  • Mirror's Edge Catalyst
  • Far Cry 5
  • Resident Evil 2 remake
  • Dying Light
#18 Posted by MarkoftheSivak (245 posts) -

Hmm a few I could name.

Bloodborne, Shadow of Mordor/War, MGS V: The Phantom Pain, Rayman Legends, can't think of any else right now probably cuz my queue is full!

#20 Posted by makemorelove (5 posts) -

Elder Scrolls Legends. A mastermind game that never received the deserved acknowledgement among card games.
Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Probably one of the best RPGs these days. (even it's a bit buggy:)) (for lonely souls) :)
Ring of Elysium - Even tho battle royale games take a lot of hate because of the obvious race every company to release their own, IMO ROE is probably the best possible out there.
If you haven't give a try to these games I do recommend them with above 60k hours of gaming, I might have more than 60k i dont even know.

#21 Posted by jeezers (2450 posts) -

Trackmania Turbo

Nier automata

Bayonetta 2

Octopath

Rocket league

Quake champions

Dota 2

Hollow knight

The messenger

#22 Edited by qx0d (333 posts) -

PinOut, State of Decay, Plants vs. Zombies

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7af233131eb
#23 Edited by deactivated-5c7af233131eb (5 posts) -

Some of my favorite games of recent times are:

Order of Battle - every campaign especially the US Marines, and Burma (most hex wargames focus on Europe not the Pacific region....and Burma is not well known) Like the way you deploy and the maps.

Battle Academy 1 and 2: Simple, but fun game with good historical summaries. Love playing the Russians.

Gary Grigby's War in the East and West games: Love the air campaigns in these. In many ways I am so overwhelmed in these with all the micro management and wish I could learn with a personal tutor to know each function and ability ….but I know enough things and I still love them. I like these far more than paradox HOI 4 ….

XCOM all..... Like that it's turn based and learn from failing and to try other methods....over watch is important. Like that I can choose what missions I want to go on and customizing my players

Civ 5.....Like building wonders and the trade and have won cultural. Would love to win domination but somehow I never seem to get my units right before other civ beats me ….something about zone of control. like the game but suck at it. also want to say that of 4x games to me Civ 5 has an easy to understand system and very good advisement tutorials to help you as you play

Age of wonders 3- Love the customizing in this game, but I don't seem to be able to go gar or explore much before I'm into a battle right away and again and again …..hard to see the bigger picture of building an empire even when I switch it to empire build style. Plus once I want to move my unit I don't need to move it after and use the extra moves. Like the combat manual

Strategic Command World at War new game: Liked the ones before this too War in Europe …..like this new one because it is again also in the pacific. Very good using human or ai ...can be tedious and not a quick game but fun.

Banner saga1 and 2: Good story choice outcome game and liked the combat.....but sometimes losing to enemy and not set up well.

Darkest dungeon- This game makes me laugh ….it's the narrator …..I have much to learn in this game like positioning my fighters and deciding which ones to use and which combat procedures. Long campaigns and gotta get used to losing. Need lots of gold and balancing this with food torches etc in the game. Like the whole concept of this though....its like that dungeons 3 game in terms of narration …..but that guy is a bit less morose. I told my wife about this DD game and she thinks I need a doctor. Think about it ….it's a game where you are having to send your players little guys to the abbey because they have psychological negative traits and you are trying to cure them to fight better in a dungeon …..it is wacko but cool.

Games I think I would like in recent times but don't have a real clue how to play them

Divinity Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition- guess I don't get how to utilize all this inventory and these sort of stored boxes in the game and how to actually use almost anything in this game. I can move my guy and talk to people and play the choice part of what to respond ...combat don't get what to push or how to conduct combat. If someone could just show me what to click step by step and I could copy that ...fine.....same with using all this stuff I have or collect and just sit next to me and take me through it. There is a lot of tutorials on you tube but they never actually go into what you click very slowly in the game. I am good at memorizing steps to perform things ..that user interface is just not explained. In short I don't get what the #%# I'm doing in the game......yet I like the graphics and all the possibilities.

Hearts of Iron 4: I spent soooooooooooo much time on you tube trying to understand how to play this game because I thought it was cool in the way you could do production in theory and I got some of these things down even making that line to war against another nation and set it automatically.....but my biggest frustrations were believe or not just setting up a new group of planes on the map and the same with my troops. Also moving groups of units and keeping clear track of my production. The whole time stop thing I wasn't used to either. Same situation I wish someone could sit down and tutor me ...especially on the air situation .

Civ 6- Seemed liked no matter what I did the AI was at literal war against me. ...even on settler. Strange deals with civs asking me always for my great artists for luxuries which I could not give away.

Aggressors Ancient Rome: Not clear on things even after playing the tutorial. Looks interesting but overwhelmed as to what to really do. Lots of micro managing to me.

Total War games- I basically understand most of them but the problem is when I battle I cannot really see once my fighters get to the enemy and it is hard to press the mouse wheel down to keep the close up combat ….bottom line ...I don't know how to use the camera close up effectively and I have a hard time keeping track of each unit while I am fighting ...its the whole rts thing …..keeping track of several things at the same time thing.... such at rts games. Can auto fight as a choice but wish I could manually fight ….yes have tried tutor battles etc. again too many choices. ……..DD and XCOM.....great games but simple mechanics …..I like that....same with civ5

Pillars of Eternity- Cannot understand how to do combat well ...by pausing the game ….I wish someone would just list for these rpg combat games and then say ok …..1st click on this then click this and these are the choices ...choose one , then do this.....step by step ...then I would have it memorized and can enjoy it...but no one does that....that way I can /copy/model their method at least initially …..same with HOI4 ….there's to much assumption.

That's all I'm done

#24 Posted by Raining51 (563 posts) -

Rocket Leagud definitely no question... came out of nowhere and and a true noy! er... wow... joy!

#25 Posted by Gwynbleidd_91 (98 posts) -

Terraria, I wasn't expecting to sink so many hours into that one, I still play it today actually.

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
#26 Posted by MclarenMaster18 (1175 posts) -

For me:

• Halo 5
  • Battlefield 1
  • Forza Motorsport 7
  • Gran Turismo Sport
  • Forza Horizon 4
  • BlazBlue Central Fiction
  • Watch Dogs
  • Call Of Duty WWII
  • Uncharted 4