what games for the nes come in different colors?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

spau0588

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 spau0588
Member since 2013 • 59 Posts
For example zelda was available in gold and grey.
jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

Some of the games by Tengen were black like Gauntlet and Tetris. Most carts that were other colors were not liscened by Nintendo. 

Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#3 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111411 Posts

Some of the games by Tengen were black like Gauntlet and Tetris. Most carts that were other colors were not liscened by Nintendo. 

jdc6305
Wikipedia for Tengen You beat me to it. I was gonna say, scroll down a ways and there's a list of Tengen's games they had on the NES with their own cartridge style.
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

Color Dreams games were another unlicensed NES game developer, like already mentioned Tengen. They used light blue cartridges. Captain Comic, Bible Adventures, and Crystal Mines were a few of their games. Crystal Mines is actually a pretty good Boulderdash clone. And isn't it ironic that a game developer that made Bible games broke Nintendo's licensing rules?

Avatar image for Shattered-dream
Shattered-dream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

#5 Shattered-dream
Member since 2012 • 729 Posts

For example zelda was available in gold and grey.spau0588

Only Zelda of what I know! I know the N64 had a couple like Tony Hawk, and Donkey Kong 64!

spau0588

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 spau0588
Member since 2013 • 59 Posts

Color Dreams games were another unlicensed NES game developer, like already mentioned Tengen. They used light blue cartridges. Captain Comic, Bible Adventures, and Crystal Mines were a few of their games. Crystal Mines is actually a pretty good Boulderdash clone. And isn't it ironic that a game developer that made Bible games broke Nintendo's licensing rules?

Emerald_Warrior
Ya that is kinda funny. I never thought of that. I don't even get how these companies got around the licensing rule. I may be wrong but from what I thought the side loading NES had the 10nes chip to prevent these games from playing. The only way I can think of to play these games would be to have a toploader which didn't come out until 1992 I believe or to disable the 10nes chip which isn't that hard.
LunarWingCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LunarWingCloud
Member since 2010 • 164 Posts
Tengen reverse engineered the chip when they got ahold of the what they needed, and their games managed to play on the system that way. They went against the whole chip-zapping because they didn't want any damage caused to their games or be liable for anything.
logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#8 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

Emerald_Warrior

And they only got away w/ it because they sold them only at Christian book stores! One of the ways Nintendo controlled unlicensed games at the time was by refusing to sell their own and licensed games at stores that also sold unlicensed games. The Christian book stores had no interest in regular games and hence could afford to break the rules whereas most major retailers could not.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#9 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

logicalfrank

And they only got away w/ it because they sold them only at Christian book stores! One of the ways Nintendo controlled unlicensed games at the time was by refusing to sell their own and licensed games at stores that also sold unlicensed games. The Christian book stores had no interest in regular games and hence could afford to break the rules whereas most major retailers could not.

They had to have sold them at more than just Christian book stores, because they made more than just the couple Bible games. Crystal Mines, for example.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9616 Posts

Color Dreams/Bunch Games/Wisdom Tree= This company used baby blue and black carts. Color Dreams and then Bunch games made some rip off games and actually made

a few games that were pretty good, however after switching their name to Wisdom Tree they made mostly bible based games, but mostly lacking any plot outside of the

characters within. 15 games were made under the name Color Dreams. 5 games were made under the name Bunch Games. 7 bible based games were made under the

name Wisdom Tree.

Tengen= Black carts. This is my favorite unlicensed NES game producer. They have some killer games.... they also have some grey carts that got licensed as well though.

Tengen made 20 NES games

American Game Cartridges= Made 3 games most notably the game Chiller which is by far the most gory game on the NES... Although they used grey carts they are much

different then any others.

Camerica= Made the Alladin Deck enhancer which needed to be used to play a few of its games. Some notable games include Big Nose, Dizzy, and others. Not all their

games needed the game genie like Alladin Deck however. Some of their carts featured a NTSC/PAL switch to play the games in different regions.

Stand alone games came in silver and gold colors while the deck enhanced games were black.

Some stand alone games were: FireHawk, Micro Machines (great game), Ultimate Stuntman, the dizzy series, and the quatro series.

American Video Entertainment= 18 ganes released on the NES. Most of these games were pretty hard to bear... like Wally Bear and the No Gang... lol :P

here are some of their games: Death Bots, Impossible Mission II... sigh... at least Venice Beach Volleyball wasnt too bad... These games ranged from Gold like Impossible

Mission II, to black, and grey.

You also have the Venetian adult games and games like Cheetahmen II... lol

Those are going to fetch some HIGH prices though..

I hope this helped, good luck.

Oh, and from my one and only Blog describing my love for unlicensed NES games and the ones I own, check here http://www.gamespot.com/users/WitIsWisdom/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=m-100-25818056

I have small self reviews on each.

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#11 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

[QUOTE="logicalfrank"]

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

Emerald_Warrior

They had to have sold them at more than just Christian book stores, because they made more than just the couple Bible games. Crystal Mines, for example.

One two many onlys, I guess. Yeah, Color Dreams did sell them elsewhere but had a lot of trouble for the reasons I described. (Apparently, it was just a threat on Nintendo's part but that was enough.) The Wisdom Tree games were may more successful because Christian bookstores gave them a distribution network that didn't care about Nintendo's threats.