What games do you think someone/me could play forever or at least the next 10 years?

#1 Edited by GFLTannar (54 posts) -

I'm in college and don't have a lot of money. I am also getting married soon and moving out, having kids, etc. I won't have the time I do now to keep getting into new games. So I'm curious if there are any good games out there you guys may know about that I could play for a very long time. Thanks!

#2 Edited by ataalavi89 (1 posts) -

I could play fallout (Pre fallout 4) and Total war series for ever. Particularly total war. No matter how long you play you will be unable to complete it with each faction. Its only for those that like strategy and have the stomach for it.

#3 Posted by DEVILinIRON (4778 posts) -

I've been playing Nethack on and off for decades...

#4 Edited by judaspete (2907 posts) -

I find fighting games are good ones to come back to over and over. Pick up a Street Fighter and a Soul Calibur. They'll keep you entertained for years.

#5 Posted by Speeny (1518 posts) -

Social simulation games would be a good pick. Animal Crossing, Harvest Moon, The Sims, etc.

#6 Edited by xantufrog (11181 posts) -

I think RTS and TBS games are basically endless.

Pick up some Total War, Age of Empires II, and a Civilzation game for cheap and you'll never go hungry. Bonus points for an Age of Wonders and Heroes of Might and Magic

#7 Posted by RSM-HQ (8218 posts) -

@GFLTannar: It's a tough question and heavily factors what you enjoy. I've likely sunk over 1,000+ hours into games like Monster Hunter, Tetris, and Tekken over the years. And yet wouldn't use any but Tetris as a glowing example, if you like puzzle games. You need to find a game you will stick with.

MMOs are the easy guess, they're usually offering a F2P model and have a lot of content. Though repetitive.

#8 Posted by sakaiXx (5316 posts) -

FFXIV has a very deep job based system where u can learn every job there is but at cost of around $120 per year (expansions excluded). That is what I recommend.

#9 Posted by Valgaav_219 (2316 posts) -

- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

- The Witcher 3

- Monster Hunter World

Also Persona 3, 4, and 5 can easily take you 5-600 hours if you're into JRPG's

#10 Posted by Plaguecrafter (32 posts) -

Depends on what kind of games you like playing firstly. I know people who still play Skyrim - eight years after it was released. So that would be my answer if you're not looking for anything online.

#11 Edited by hrt_rulz01 (18707 posts) -

Tough question to answer without knowing what kind of games you like... but something like Civilization 5/6 would be perfect for me. Or a racing game like Forza or F1.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
#12 Edited by Black_Knight_00 (21515 posts) -

One word: Soulsborne.

#13 Posted by xantufrog (11181 posts) -

@Black_Knight_00: idk, the AI is really dumb and pattern based. Once you get it down...

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
#14 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (13578 posts) -

Personally, cities skylines comes to mind.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
#15 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (21515 posts) -

@xantufrog said:

@Black_Knight_00: idk, the AI is really dumb and pattern based. Once you get it down...

Doesn't that go for most games?

#16 Edited by Jackamomo (2157 posts) -

@GFLTannar: wtf are you talking about. My dad found time to be permanently drunk. Be in several different bands and hold down a teaching job as a teacher and two head's of departments (my hero).

I would play 3d Ultima Online (Shroud of the Avatar) as I think it will outlast all the current mmorpg's and you can build a house and furnish it so you can have virtual affairs and unless your wife joins the game she will never know...

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
#17 Edited by MclarenMaster18 (1380 posts) -

For me I'd say Counter Strike Global Offence.

#18 Edited by Yams1980 (3436 posts) -

If i needed a few games to play for 10 years, i'd play Civilization 3 & 5, Sims 3 & 4, Simcity 2000 & 3000. Actually the Sims 4 on its own could keep me busy, i love building and creating characters.

You could also find a free mmo you like if you like that kind of thing, costs you nothing and always something you can play to kill time.

Single player games like Sims, Fallout 3/4 and Elder Scrolls (Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim) are pretty great once you own them because there's almost an endless amount of free user mods you can use, it can take up a lot of time to try them all.

No Man Sky is another one, i been playing it off and on since its launch, and it can really keep you busy with all the base building and exploring you can do. The thing keeps getting a bit bigger and better with all its content releases which are still free even though they've exceeded everything they promised in the launch game. NMS has a strong modding backing also so theres a lot of user mods that can improve the game.

#19 Edited by futuristics (7 posts) -

destiny 2, skyrim, and fallout new Vegas.

#20 Posted by uninspiredcup (32827 posts) -

Street Fighter for sure. People still play SFII to this day.

#21 Posted by Khazrak134 (160 posts) -

Im also in the Total War club here. especially Rome Total war and Medieval 2. so many different ways to play through the grand campaign, and I also have tons of fun just messing around with the custom battles, something that i dont have as much fun doing on the newer games.

#23 Posted by pyro1245 (4926 posts) -
  • Factorio
  • RimWorld
  • Slay The Spire
  • Cities: Skylines
#25 Posted by Sevenizz (3657 posts) -

Get an Xbox One with Gamepass and you’ll have hundreds of games to play for pennies a day!

#26 Posted by chitosan87 (103 posts) -

I think this one is depend on which platform. PC or Consoles.

I was a PC guys and I found many games that I could play with endlessly.

Games that has no ending; such as Sim City 4 or City Skylines. You can build as many city as you want. Civilzations games also has ton of replayability, I used to play CV 5 for hundred of hours in my steam account. But as for the console, I personally hard to find a game that can be played for a long time.

I am playing AC Odyssey right now, fun for a couple hours in its massive open world. But grinding all the time and do everything over and over again, it just getting bored if you are not in the mood.

#27 Posted by Vaidream45 (1851 posts) -

Something like Fallout shelter may be good for you because it only takes a few minutes of your life per day and it’s free on most platforms. Or the Sims could work too.

#28 Edited by Enragedhydra (1078 posts) -

On PC I would recommend a game like Skyrim, Fallout New Vegas/4, GTA V, Cities Skylines
Games like Starcraft lend themselves to a lot of practice to get good at therefor you will always have something to do. Diablo will always give you something to grind for.

#29 Posted by mrbojangles25 (43800 posts) -

Turn-based strategy games, empire games, and city-builders tend to last a long time. 5-10 years? Not exactly, but you'd get months out of them. I'm just going to assume that, even as broke as you might be, you can probably afford three or four games per year.

Multiplayer games also tend to last a long time if their community is large and loyal; I've been playing WoW (of and on) since it was released in 2004; that was 15 or so years ago. Likewise, I played Diablo 2 for about 10 years. Diablo 3 can also take up a lot of time.

There's also tons of good free games out there if you look.

Keep your eyes open for sales, too; Humble Bundle is a good place to get a lot of games for cheap, as is GoG and even Steam.

#30 Posted by Raining51 (804 posts) -

I don't know if it counts in terms of play forever but spend a ton of time on? Chrono Trigger I'd say which I've brought up a few times...

It's possible to play the game but also reoplay it a ton of times because of multiple endings and tons of people spend a ton of time on it uniquely learning about all the details it's very deep.