amyh7292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By amyh7292
Member since 2015 • 324 Posts

I didn't play the previous ones, since I only really got into more RPGs when I got my PS4. I'm just wondering, because I've heard a lot of fans of the series on different threads complaining about different aspects of the game. I'm just wondering why, because in my experience (I'm on my second character playthrough) it's been a pretty solid RPG experience. Other than the Witcher 3, it's been the best RPG I've played this year (well, meaning 2015). Again I'm by no means an expert on the topic, I'm just genuinely curious about what people don't like about it? Or what it's lacking that the previous games had

The_Stand_In

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 The_Stand_In
Member since 2010 • 1179 Posts

Lack of end game content. Too many "go here, kill ____" quests. Lack of interesting side quests. Game world the same size (about) as FO3 and NV. Little enemy variety. Inventory management sucks (thank you mods).

Otherwise it's a pretty good game. It just lacks the amount of content that FO3/NV or especially Skyrim had. Hopefully the DLC fixes that.

amyh7292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 amyh7292

@The_Stand_In Although I don't have the previous games as comparison, I agree with a lot of the cons you mentioned. One thing I found odd is the lack of "boss" fights. There's the deathclaw as the very first big mission of the game, and then the Mirelurk Queen as a clearing/side mission (I guess it's a side mission), but I was a little thrown off by how lame the variety is. At the start of the game bigger, scary creatures seemed to be foreshadowed by the deathclaw, but that didn't turn out to be the case. There are some here and there, but for the most part its large groups of humans, ghouls, and supermutants throughout the entire game. Early on in the game I eased up on my tension when entering new areas, because I knew it wasn't going to be anything other than what I'd already killed 100 times at that point

Berserker1_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4  Edited By Berserker1_5
Member since 2007 • 1967 Posts

Side quests all feel like dry. Feels like they just put whatever they can together and call it a quest. I can't recall a lot of quests that I thought were interesting. Hell, I put like 60 hours into the game and I ant remember most of the side quests. The radiant quests for settlements are idiotic at best.

Buggy. No the bugs are game breaking. But the bugs are annoying. I dislike seeing cait having a heart attack every time I try to talk to her. I hate how my dog gets stuck between doors. I hate it because the game has he same bugs that plagued their previous games.

It's not fleshed out. I like how Bethesda throws everything in their games. Melee? Check. Nukes? Check. Yet none of it is really fleshed out.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10358 Posts

it didn't feel like it had meaningfully progressed much from fallout 3. there was the base building aspect, but it was explained very poorly in game and other than a few missions requiring you to build stuff i didn't find much incentive to use it.

beyond that, from a game that was criticised for its shallow rpg aspects, f4 seemed to strip back even further from f3. it felt like a shooter with an rpg inventory and dialogue choices. i didn't like the removal of automatic levelling up of skills used in game. i liked in the previous games how your levelling reflected your play style. i wanted to play as a guy with a bit of an evil streak but the voice actor was too nicey nicey for that to work, plus the dialogue choices were a bit vague and samey, so it was difficult to carve out any kind of personality for your character.

the graphics were downright awful in places. they were better than f3 but still pretty embarassing when compared to other games released last year. and as others have said, quests were nearly always go here, wipe out x and y then return with z. i still enjoyed it but it was disappointing in that i'd been waiting years for it and it felt more like an expansion of f3 than a new game

Seanh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Seanh
Member since 2015 • 203 Posts

I still haven't played it since November 30th and then I only played 5 or so hours. I just can't get excited about starting to play it again....

Avatar image for deactivated-5bacece731933
deactivated-5bacece731933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#7 deactivated-5bacece731933
Member since 2015 • 218 Posts

It is too meaningless sometimes. As if they are trying to create a range of endless details but I think these really are just superficial templates. It feels like the game relies too much on "Go there, kill these, collect this" formula without really offering a sensible reason. (I am saying this after about 70-80 hours of gameplay though). After completing certain missions, it turns more into a post-apocalypse simulation than an open world action RPG which should have good stories.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts
@Macutchi said:

beyond that, from a game that was criticised for its shallow rpg aspects, f4 seemed to strip back even further from f3. it felt like a shooter with an rpg inventory and dialogue choices. i didn't like the removal of automatic levelling up of skills used in game. i liked in the previous games how your levelling reflected your play style.

I call that role playing game play and is what I love the most in RPG. For me the key element of a RPG is making and affecting your character's role in the game play. Fallout 4 you start off being great at everything and get bonus as you play like Farcry 3.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9  Edited By HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

To the TC, your own opinion is all that matters.

Some complaints and general dislike for Bethesda RPGs are valid, though many gamers just hate to see a WRPG be so popular because there are no under dressed, anime loli girls to gawk at and no turned based combat with a dozen menus to click through everytime you have a random encounter. The Witcher 3 is good though the combat is subpar and lacking in comparison to Fallout 4.

@The_Stand_In said:

Lack of end game content. Too many "go here, kill ____" quests. Lack of interesting side quests. Game world the same size (about) as FO3 and NV. Little enemy variety. Inventory management sucks (thank you mods).

Otherwise it's a pretty good game. It just lacks the amount of content that FO3/NV or especially Skyrim had. Hopefully the DLC fixes that.

If going by these standards then FNV would be the worst of the series. No end game content (you can't even play past the ending period), enemies placement and respawns in the exact same locations, a boring world to explore, crap DLCs like Blood Money and Honest Hearts, not being able to fast travel to Lucky 38, and goofy map designs (even more mountains than Skyrim to walk around) just to name a few cons.

Fallout 4 definitely has its cons too like crap companion AI that ruins stealth play, crap inventory management (all Bethesda games have this, lol), settlement issues and a few technical hiccups. Skyrim did do some things better, though Fallout 4 is far from being the worse in the series.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By wiouds

@HipHopBeats said:

Some complaints and general dislike for Bethesda RPGs are valid, though many gamers just hate to see a WRPG be so popular because there are no under dressed, anime loli girls to gawk at and no turned based combat with a dozen menus to click through everytime you have a random encounter.

That is a crazy way to try to dismiss other opinions. It is cherry picked of over the top ideals. I have not seen one use that as a a complaint.

People have a number of problem with Fallout 4 as a WRPG. I find the level system horrible and takes away the fun compared to the two games before.

LaurencePTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LaurencePTW
Member since 2015 • 6 Posts

What do I hate about Fallout 4? The fact that I don't have enough free time to play it.. :(

In all seriousness, the games story seems to be quite lackluster and I really do not like the levelling up system.

Avatar image for jasonredemption
jasonredemption

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 17

#12 jasonredemption
Member since 2010 • 691 Posts

I loved Fallout 4. Is it a perfect game? No, probably not. Should it be a game-of-the-year contender? Absolutely.

gmak2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 gmak2442
Member since 2015 • 1089 Posts

After Wolfenstein and Old Blood the gunfight of Fallout 4 are not very interesting.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

I have to look online to see where all the quests are at because almost all I get are main quests and radiant faction quests. I guess I just don't talk to enough people. The settlement system didn't really interest me. I feel the game was short as far as quests go. Luckily there are lots of places to explore and bad guys/girls/monsters to kill.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#15 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I'm loving the game it's the best game of 2015.

RodimusMajor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RodimusMajor
Member since 2016 • 9 Posts

What i most disliked about Fallout 4, was that unlike in previous games the way you built your character had little impact on any of the quests. Very few lines of dialogue or choices were opened as a result of my high intelligent or charisma scores, and that meant there were no shortcuts or interesting ways to complete a mission.

New Vegas had a mission entitled 'Fly Me to the Moon', in which the courier helps a group of ghouls use a rocket to escape the Mojave. If certain stats are high enough you can reprogramme the rocket to do a few different things. Get a little closer to their destination if you're feeling charitable; explode shortly after take-off if you're not.

That was the basis of my enjoyment of the last couple of Fallout games, so in spite of the improved combat and more fun exploration, i didn't like the game as much.

fnevaeva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 fnevaeva
Member since 2005 • 617 Posts

It's a boring grey game and isn't Morrowind reincarnate (skyrim sucked hard).

ruthaford_jive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ruthaford_jive
Member since 2004 • 519 Posts

Conversation wheel and voiced protagonist. The quality of the voice acting was decent, but I think a voiced protagonist worsened the immersion, as well as the conversations over all. A lot of people love it though, for some reason. Not many people like reading anymore it seems. Other than that, I like the game. The level up system is kinda weird too, but not terrible. Liked the old one better, but I understand it needed to change if they wanted to implement better gunplay, which I think was worth it.

amyh7292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 amyh7292

@sukraj: @jasonredemption:Game of the year? Absolutely not. Have you played The Witcher 3? It is leaps and bounds above Fallout 4. Don't get me wrong I thought Fallout is easily a top 5 game (maybe even top 3 if you want to place the argument), but no way is it #1. I can't think of a single category it beats TW3 in. Not trying to get into this though, whole different discussion. But no way. Gotta agree with everyone here. No, I didn't play early FO games, but I know a good story, and Fallout is just lacking, far fetched at times (even within the own boundaries of its reality), and left me with a "that's it?" feeling at the end. It's not a crap game by any means, but it has no place in a #1 spot for 2015

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

As much as I do like the game, there are two glaring problems I have with it.

1. Perk System/ Removal of Skills.

Bethesda has clearly missed the mark with what a Perk is, they did so in Fallout 3 and they've done it even more so here. A Perk in old Fallout games and even New Vegas is a bonus that alters elements of a game and makes your character special, While the Skills and the points you put in determines what your character is good at. Skill points put into energy weapons means you got better with both aiming and the damage you do with a Laser or Plasma weapon, While with a Perk called something like "Effective Cell" you would get a chance to double the amount of shots you could do before having to reload/change cell. Making a Plasma rifle go from 16 shots to 32 shots.

What they've done is combined the skill and perk system into one thing, meaning to get better at shooting with big weapons, you need to take the perk that gives you a 20% increase and stack it up. When you really should get better by leveling up itself.

Out of the 70 perks, there is 6 that you need to stack up atleast one of two of if you want a chance to not constantly die to enemies that will soak up the damage you do, in addition there is 4 perks you almost would need to focus on if you want to make your weapons do the most damage and your armor to protect you properly. Considering you need to stack all of them four times you're spending between 24 to 40 Levels to ensure you simply survive when things are high level in the wasteland before you ought to select some of the other perks like Aquaboy/Girl, Ricochet etc.

If you compared the Perks list with the one from New Vegas, there's alot of more interesting Perks one can choose from that'll help alter how you play the game and provide benefits beyond simply increasing damage, although they are there too though with conditions for them to take effect.

2. Dialogue.

This is more or less directly a result of the removal of Skills, In the older games, the points you had in a skill or even in your S.P.E.C.I.A.L. gave you unique choices when talking to others. If you came across a wounded and had high intelligence and enough skills in medicine, you could help them without resorting to giving them a stimpak. You could unlock other information or even avoid a combat situation if certain conditions were met. This in addition to charisma checks.

Fallout 4 however offers only Charisma checks and even they seemed to be more a result of chance to succed regardless of how high your Charisma is. Just like how maxing out "Rifleman" and aiming at a sitting target will still give you a 95% hit chance rather then 100% hit chance, It does seem like Charisma works the same way with you getting a 5% chance to fail even the easiest checks.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#21 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@amyh7292 said:

I didn't play the previous ones, since I only really got into more RPGs when I got my PS4. I'm just wondering, because I've heard a lot of fans of the series on different threads complaining about different aspects of the game. I'm just wondering why, because in my experience (I'm on my second character playthrough) it's been a pretty solid RPG experience. Other than the Witcher 3, it's been the best RPG I've played this year (well, meaning 2015). Again I'm by no means an expert on the topic, I'm just genuinely curious about what people don't like about it? Or what it's lacking that the previous games had

A common storage for the settlements, A much bigger world to explore, a more dark atmosphere like in Metro Last light.

But with that said , Fallout 4 is still a absolute amazing game and despite it not being as captivating as Fallout 3 , it´s my GOTY with no competition.

Chairman_Yang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Chairman_Yang
Member since 2016 • 24 Posts

Where do I begin...

• Poor writing
  • New dialogue system is awful
  • Removal of skills
  • The opening is a huge step down from previous Fallout games
  • Quests are boring

Don't get me wrong, it's a good game but a huge disappointment. Would much rather get a remake of Fallout: New Vegas or get Obsidian to make a new one, this time with a proper development time.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#23 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Oh well I see that the game has it's flaws but overall I'm enjoying the experience.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 wiouds

@ruthaford_jive said:

Conversation wheel and voiced protagonist. The quality of the voice acting was decent, but I think a voiced protagonist worsened the immersion, as well as the conversations over all. A lot of people love it though, for some reason.

I find the voice protagonist adds to the immersion of the game unlike the older system that help break it.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#25 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

@amyh7292: my biggest problem with it is that I don't own it. =P

csward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#26 csward
Member since 2005 • 2155 Posts

I'm not surprised you liked it being a casual gamer who has never played a Fallout game before. It's probably the worst Fallout game to date (well other than that Fallout Diablo clone that was horrible on the original Xbox IIRC, it wasn't a true Fallout game though).

1. It's buggy/glitchy as hell (as to be expected with a Bethesda game sadly)

2. The story and character development is bad (also a Bethesda thing) compared to Fallout 1 and 2 especially. If you were looking for a Boderlands-like game, you would be happy, but it is barely an RPG.

3. The crafting system is bad imo and the "town building" simulator is shallow and lacks a reason to be in the game.

4. Starting with Power Armor is cool, but if you've ever played a Fallout game, you come in expecting it to have to be earned. Kinda of ruins the coolness of the armor if you have it all the time.

5. A large world to explore, but little reason to do so. Sure there are some interesting locations, but there is little reason to be there, as you get plenty of good loot from the main quests. I wish the side quests had more weird characters to interact with, like in Mass Effect 1.

It's not a bad game by any means...it simply caters to certain crowd more than in the past. I'm not looking forward to the next Fallout game, just like Elder Scrolls. Simply not my cup of tea, I enjoy Mass Effect more, it's more focused and gives a more enjoyable experience overall imo.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

There's a lot more about this game that I like than dislike. The simplified dialog compared to previous Fallouts (although none of them were as good as Fallout 1 and 2) is a bit of a letdown, but not so much that it spoils the game for me. I like a voiced protagonist, although the dialog choice descriptions are a bit terse and it's not always clear what each option is actually going to say or come across like to the NPC.

The replacement of skill percentages with perks was a turnoff at first, but eventually it grew on me and I don't think it's significantly worse than the old system (although the RPG nerd in me likes MOAR STATS). I -do- like that the new system lets you add points to your SPECIAL stats every level if you like. Many RPGs make updating your core stats really, really time consuming.

The inventory system could use some UI work, but that's pretty much the case in every Bethesda game and it's generally the first thing that modders fix on PC. SkyUI in Skyrim was a "must have" mod for PC.

@Jacanuk said:

A common storage for the settlements, A much bigger world to explore, a more dark atmosphere like in Metro Last light.

But with that said , Fallout 4 is still a absolute amazing game and despite it not being as captivating as Fallout 3 , it´s my GOTY with no competition.

God, yes. It may not be the most realistic option but shleping materials between settlements is really annoying. Also, it would be nice if you could automatically break down materials in settlement storage -prior- to crafting (i.e. turn all those teddy bears and hot plates into steel and cloth in one action) so you don't have to carry silverware and billiards balls back and forth between settlements. There's actually a lot of streamlining they could do in the whole settlement management feature, but since that's a brand new feature to this Fallout it's hard to compare the old Fallouts against these elements.

That said, I love this game. The world is interesting to explore, the revised combat system is much better than FO3/NV and I don't view combat as a chore after a while like I did in those previous games. The aiming is better so you don't need to spend nearly as much time in VATS as in the old games. The world isn't as big as some earlier games but there are a ton of locations to visit which I think is the more important metric. I haven't beaten the main story because I'm just having a blast doing side quests and faction missions.

-Byshop

Pyco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Pyco
Member since 2016 • 16 Posts

What do you classify as a RPG game? There is no way to roleplay as an evil character. There is no karma system. The dialogue wheel was a huge mistake and is awful. A hugely disappointing game in my opinion ridden with bugs and glitches. I think RPG is becoming one of those genres that are just meaningless. People have different opinions about what makes a game a RPG. A lot of people see a leveling system and think oh hey that's a roleplaying game, but it's always been much more than that for me. In the older fallout games, you could be an absolute scumbag. You could have such low intelligence you could barely speak english in your dialogue choices. This is what made fallout great and it's been entirely taken away. In Fallout 4 you can ask for more money for your reward, and they will always give more, and there is no penalty. WTF? The game is a nice shooter with very light RPG mechanics but that's as far as it goes in my opinion.

dethtrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By dethtrain
Member since 2004 • 570 Posts

Companion ai getting in the way. Carry weight and junk collecting junk. Should be able to auto scrap junk in the field similar to how in thief everything auto converts to money when you steal.

Oh yeah barely any rpg aspects now

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

the level system and dialogue system

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 43988 Posts

I love the game but there are some things that annoy me a little in this game. The companion AI can be annoying when they keep getting in your way. The salvaging aspect along with sharing stuff between settlements could be improved. The UI for settlement building could also be improved. Other then those thing I really love the rest of the game.

ruthaford_jive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ruthaford_jive
Member since 2004 • 519 Posts

@wiouds: Yeah, I suppose. I'm so use to making up my own voices in my head and having a ton of dialogue options to pick from (based on other RPGs) that this one felt far too limiting.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

While the game is still an enjoyable game, it's easily the worst FO title to date. Too much filler, lack of diverse enemies, small map, terrible story, and worst of all: Preston Garvey.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 wiouds

@ruthaford_jive said:

@wiouds: Yeah, I suppose. I'm so use to making up my own voices in my head and having a ton of dialogue options to pick from (based on other RPGs) that this one felt far too limiting.

I just find spoken dialog more real as long as it not just one character having doing all the talking.

I never thought of dialog pick as part of a RPG so I guess why it does not matter to me that much.