What does Square Enix need to do to make Dragon Quest big in the West?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rafaelmsoares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 rafaelmsoares
Member since 2018 • 657 Posts

I mean, without taking away all it's charm and alienating it's already fervorous, albeit small, western fanbase?

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3481 Posts

Has to be innovative and unique. It ain't easy

rafaelmsoares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 rafaelmsoares

Unique it already is... But innovating on any scale would make the fans rage hard.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

They need to stop recycling.

Every DQ game I've played has been the same. There is no innovation or change or anything in the series. Builders added just needless stuff, not anything that wouldve made the games better.

The series need to grow up, to evolve, to stop being a kiddie game. They should make FFXV style DQ game.

ChrisChronos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ChrisChronos
Member since 2017 • 184 Posts

Well I can't say I'm a huge DQ fan, I enjoyed DQ8 and DQ5 and didn't play much beyond those but I've looked at this new one.. I like how it's still turn based but what really put me off is the lack of the voice acting and also this really outdated midi soundtrack that is clashing with some very nice graphics. I'm probably going to buy the game myself but I'd imagine those things will put some people off the game completely, specially that soundtrack.

As far as making it big in the west.. I dunno if that is even possible, the best you can do is focus on the JRPG players but the problem is a lot of JRPG fans in the west are solely Final Fantasy fans.. They don't really care to explore or are just plain ignorant of games outside the FF franchise. It's not really that those other franchises are inferior, it's simply a case of which ever is more popular gets the more sales. A lot of FF fans would agree that FFXV is the worst in the series and that it felt like an incomplete experience with one of the weakest stories in the franchise yet they still would buy it in the millions. Yet here are those other franchises doing much better in those aspects but only selling a small fraction of what FF makes. It's all about brand popularity. Square-Enix could continue making the worst FF games out there and sure it might have a small effect on sales but people would still buy them in the millions.

rafaelmsoares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rafaelmsoares

@chrischronos said:

Well I can't say I'm a huge DQ fan, I enjoyed DQ8 and DQ5 and didn't play much beyond those but I've looked at this new one.. I like how it's still turn based but what really put me off is the lack of the voice acting and also this really outdated midi soundtrack that is clashing with some very nice graphics. I'm probably going to buy the game myself but I'd imagine those things will put some people off the game completely, specially that soundtrack.

As far as making it big in the west.. I dunno if that is even possible, the best you can do is focus on the JRPG players but the problem is a lot of JRPG fans in the west are solely Final Fantasy fans.. They don't really care to explore or are just plain ignorant of games outside the FF franchise. It's not really that those other franchises are inferior, it's simply a case of which ever is more popular gets the more sales. A lot of FF fans would agree that FFXV is the worst in the series and that it felt like an incomplete experience with one of the weakest stories in the franchise yet they still would buy it in the millions. Yet here are those other franchises doing much better in those aspects but only selling a small fraction of what FF makes. It's all about brand popularity. Square-Enix could continue making the worst FF games out there and sure it might have a small effect on sales but people would still buy them in the millions.

The Western version will feature full voice acting, though. Orchestrated soundtrack may also be in the works for when it releases here

ysgramor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ysgramor24
Member since 2018 • 7 Posts

Probably a change in graphics the less realistic 3D anime feel doesn't appeal to me even though I am a fan of anime

Avatar image for deactivated-5b01abbec19e9
deactivated-5b01abbec19e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5b01abbec19e9
Member since 2018 • 104 Posts

Add a free to play battle royale mode with guns and base building mechanics

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#9 Clefdefa
Member since 2017 • 750 Posts

Turn it into a shooter with a lot of cinematic and epic moment.

The more Dude/Bro the better.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#10 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I just don't see DQ ever being big in the West. Having devoted fans and making sales, sure. But the mindset here is apparently not the same as it typically is there.

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

@henrythefifth said:

They need to stop recycling.

The series need to grow up, to evolve, to stop being a kiddie game. They should make FFXV style DQ game.

So they need to recycle FF XV and call it DQ?

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3231 Posts

Sadly I don't think that the series can be big in the West as it is in Japan. It's too bad because it is a great series and the fact that the art style is from Akira Toriyama who is the creator of Dragon Ball is cool.