What do your grandparents think of your video/PC gaming???

#1 Posted by henrythefifth (2502 posts) -

I'm sure we have discussed what our parents think of our gaming...

But what do your grandparents think of your gaming???

They are of the generation when gaming did not really exist, well, not on large scale anyways, so I'm sure they have some pretty colorful opinions on your gaming!

Do share them with us!

Oh, and if your grandparents have passed away, what did they think of your gaming while they were still alive?

My grandparents passed away ages ago, and only my grandmother saw me playing Commodore 64 before she too, passed. She thought such games were of the devil. But then, she thought television was of the devil as well! Yeah, that was in the 80's...

But what about your grandparents?

#2 Posted by Speeny (1880 posts) -

My grandfather is always interested in the graphics. Grandmother couldn't care less. Lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
#3 Edited by deactivated-5d1e44cf96229 (2814 posts) -

My grandma used to play some video games on the NES with me when I was a kid. I think she even had a little bit of fun with some of them, but it's not something that she would play on her own if she wasn't playing with me. And I think games became too complicated for her after the NES.

Avatar image for yammireckorrdsan
#4 Posted by YammiReckorrdSan (615 posts) -

Aside from one grandmother they all passed away, and I don't think the one that is still alive know I play games. However, when the other grandmother was alive she was pretty ok with that.

#5 Posted by johnd13 (9773 posts) -

One pair of grandparents probably don't even know what video games are. From the other pair, my grandma seems to be indifferent, while my grandfather has spoken against gaming for long hours but overall I would expect him to not have a real problem with it.

#6 Edited by DaVillain- (37531 posts) -

All my Grandparents are long gone by the time I got my first gaming machine in the early 90's.

#7 Posted by Gamerno6666 (6850 posts) -

I have only one grandparent and she is 93. She could hardly care.

#8 Posted by nepu7supastar7 (5150 posts) -

@henrythefifth:

Mine are dead, sadly.

#9 Posted by RSM-HQ (8540 posts) -
@henrythefifth said:

But what do your grandparents think of your gaming???

I'm sure we have discussed what our parents think of our gaming...

Nope, but many have complained parents won't let them play games here.

Quite a personal question for 'Games Discussion' at anycase. Better suited to Off-Topic Discussion.

#10 Posted by Ish_basic (5019 posts) -

Grandma plays mobile games and she's been bugging me to play this one with her by pointing out everyone else in the family who plays it with her.

I did have an octogenarian (or thereabouts) guild member in GW2, so that was someone's grandma. I find that older individuals gravitate to PC.

#11 Posted by goodzorr (506 posts) -

Mine grandparents were all born in the 1910s and I never discussed games with them. My Nan was interested in my iPad when I showed her holiday pictures one time as she couldn't believe the technology. They were all very 'old' so were quite stuck in their ways. The TV my (wealthy I may add!) one set of grandparents had was from the 1980s up until my Granddads death in 2013. They have all since passed, my aforementioned Nan was the last to go 2 years ago at 96.

#12 Posted by WickedMuffin (71 posts) -

i think my grandparents didn't know what video games are

#13 Posted by heljar (136 posts) -

@henrythefifth: I don't know how old you are, but my father who recently turned 69 got a Switch for christmas. He's gotten many consoles at various points. He got a GameCube a few years back. He had a Wii, he bought a modified XBox a few years ago to play pirated games. Right now he has a tv hooked up with Switch, PS3 and PS4. He's in the middle of Super Mario Odyssey, and he completed Horizon Zero Dawn recently. And he tried Fallout 4, but he didn't enjoy it a much as Skyrim that he's played a couple of times already.

#14 Posted by Ish_basic (5019 posts) -

also, relevant, google "Skyrim Grandma." Shirley Curry will have her own NPC in Elder Scrolls 6.

#15 Posted by Zucky (1 posts) -

They are actually interested in watching me play. But just for 1 Minute lol. Then they lose interest. Some weeks ago I showed them Overwatch but the gameplay was too fast for them so my grandma got headache.

#16 Edited by Clefdefa (750 posts) -

They aren't of this world anymore.

I was born a little bit before Nintendo shook the world video game by giving it a second life.

#17 Posted by mrbojangles25 (44139 posts) -

They don't think anything because they're all dead.

But when they were alive I was too busy hanging out with them to play video games. They did not live too close, so any time I got to see them was too precious to waste on video games.

@Ish_basic said:

also, relevant, google "Skyrim Grandma." Shirley Curry will have her own NPC in Elder Scrolls 6.

That's great! Can't wait until I'm having LAN parties with my flatmates when I'm in some old folk's home. Playing Starcraft 8 and Half-Life 3. Who am I kidding, Half-Life 3 won't be out in 30 years....

#18 Edited by DEVILinIRON (4929 posts) -

My grandmother was living with my parents for a while and I would bring over my PS4. She swore she was watching a movie. Now, now don't go thinking it was one of those supposed "movie games". I was playing Blackout mode in CoD Black Ops 4. She loves her war movies.

#19 Posted by henrythefifth (2502 posts) -

@heljar said:

@henrythefifth: I don't know how old you are, but my father who recently turned 69 got a Switch for christmas. He's gotten many consoles at various points. He got a GameCube a few years back. He had a Wii, he bought a modified XBox a few years ago to play pirated games. Right now he has a tv hooked up with Switch, PS3 and PS4. He's in the middle of Super Mario Odyssey, and he completed Horizon Zero Dawn recently. And he tried Fallout 4, but he didn't enjoy it a much as Skyrim that he's played a couple of times already.

modded Xbox? He should be playing Backgammon, Gin, and Dominoes with other elderly retirees!

#20 Edited by titanraven (51 posts) -

my grandmother loves seeing me dance in front of Kinect! Lol but maybe she think that's it is just a box -_-

#21 Posted by heljar (136 posts) -

@henrythefifth: Lol! He wasn't retired yet. He got it cheap and used from an ad. He got lots of games with it. He bought it mostly for when his grandkids come visit, but he had some fun himself.

#22 Edited by kingmoha (2 posts) -

I don't think the one that is still alive know I play games.I don't think the one that is still alive know I play games.

https://thegadgetwire.com/tutuapp/

https://onlinesbi.tips/

https://aadharcard.vip/

Avatar image for deactivated-5d35e2183f2b7
#23 Posted by deactivated-5d35e2183f2b7 (80 posts) -

From my dad side I never met my grandfather (neither did my mom). I only met my grandmother as a baby, never after.

On my mother side, they never cared about technology beyond watching tv. My grandfather is 98 and has yet to even try going online.

Avatar image for gettingonwithgaminglife
#24 Posted by GettingonwithGamingLife (255 posts) -

My grandad thinks its okay ando meha.

#25 Posted by Shantmaster_K (1499 posts) -

3 of my 4 grandparents are gone now, but the 3 that passed could care less. I think there is a stereotype that video games are for children among the older population, but my, now, deceased parents didn't say much about it. My living grandma doesn't say much about them either, but she will give me gaming stuff for gifts. She even waiting in line to get a PS4, for my brother-in-law lol.

#26 Posted by henrythefifth (2502 posts) -

Where I live, old folk still disparage adult gamers, and loudly tell how in the old days, men had no time for such frivolities from real work.

To which I point out that they did have time for cards and boozing in the local watering holes in these good old days. And how is that really different from guzzling Red Bull and playing Fortnite all night? This really makes them pee their pants.

Avatar image for clifford_sexylips
#27 Posted by Clifford_Sexylips (67 posts) -

@gettingonwithgaminglife said:

My grandad thinks its okay ando meha.

Yeah mine too, he loves mortal kombat!

#28 Posted by Peasly (345 posts) -

My Grandad loved gaming.. Gran not so much she tolerated his liking of it.. ;)

Think he would approve of today's consoles and games..

#29 Posted by Blair5 (17 posts) -

Well, since I am mature enough to know wheres the line I shouldnt cross, my parent have no idea I play online games. I dont think it is necessary for them to know. I play because I need to relax and dont want to end up burn out because of my work.

#30 Edited by beyyy18 (4 posts) -

My grandparents think that I spent a lot of time on videogames lol

AppvalleyTutuAppTweakbox