What do you want in the next Silent Hill game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

Downpour was a letdown for me...

So i'm hoping Konami can make a proper SH game for the series' 15 years in 2014.

One that does have some gameplay innovations,but retains the story,atmosphere,and horror of the old games.

You?

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Lulekani
Member since 2012 • 2318 Posts
An addition of a Couple zombie freaks and I'm set ! And on a side note, i dont think its a coincident that all of a sudden Survival Horror games suck. I think developers are adjusting to making games for a more dynamic demograph.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#3 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Downpour was grat BTW.

Anyways I think it'd be really cool if you play as a person who is canonically a serial killer.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Downpour was grat BTW.

Anyways I think it'd be really cool if you play as a person who is canonically a serial killer.

turtlethetaffer
Downpour had some amazing visual design in the Other World segments, but ultimately I found it pretty disappointing. Sure, the Other World segments had their own nice little twist to the tried and true design. It was different enough to seem new and refreshing while still retaining the feel of the older games. Sure, that Orb of Doom was scary as hell, and I liked the whole aspect of just running for my life without having any goddamn idea how to escape. That $*** worked well, and was a nice addition. I also liked the story. Sort of reminiscent of Silent Hill 2, which was my favourite game in the series. What I liked about it was that it didn't have to try to justify the logic of the game. There was no real reason for all of that happening, at least not on the surface. No silly bull**** about cults or demons. The horror, while real and external, was also sort of just internal. These are games that sort of defy logic, I don't think that any attempt to make them work logically would really work, so I like that Silent Hill 2 didn't really go overboard in TRYING. You play it at face value, and it doesn't really make sense, but that's okay. It's about the experience more than the story. It's about THEMES more than a coherent and satisfying plot. Sure, there's symbolism abounding and consistency in the recurring themes and motifs, but it doesn't really go out of its way to make sense. It just exists. Take it in, experience it, don't think about it too much or try to overanalyze it, and it just plain works. On some level, Downpour had that going on and that's one of the things I most loved about it. It was more introspective and symbolic rather than literal. The logic of the game truly didn't NEED any kind of explanation or justification. There were just recurring themes, hellish visuals, and moments of brilliance. I want to like it, I really do, and there were truly some great moments. Overall though, I found it disappointing. The scenes where it really worked and inspired fear and dread were just far too rare. Mostly, it was just a boring C-rate survival horror game, and just wasn't any fun. It was a bit too predictable, the enemies were VERY disappointing for the most part (90% of the enemies I found were generic witch and generic gimp), the gameplay wasn't particularly fun. And while there were some attempts made to change up the atmosphere in order to keep things fresh, it wasn't enough. It just felt...stale. Like I'd seen it all before (albeit with a few cool new twists), and it was all just too much of the same old thing. Personally...as much as I loved some of the Silent Hill games, I think it's far past its expiration date. It's been going on so long that its impact has faded, and even some cool attempts to reinvigorate it aren't enough. I'd say...it's time to scrap it, and think of a totally new way to deliver the kind of horror that Silent Hill was best at. I very much appreciate the attempts at a more psychological kind of terror, but it's become sort of old. I think it's time to abandon Silent Hill and focus on something truly new and original and different.
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GreekGameManiac

Yeah,if you like Downpour THAT much,it means you have the wrong idea of SH is supposed to be.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MrGeezer

Yeah,if you like Downpour THAT much,it means you have the wrong idea of SH is supposed to be.

GreekGameManiac
Are you talking to me? If so, I already told you that I didn't like Downpour very much. I was mostly talking about Silent Hill 2, and how I appreciated how Downpour at least tried to go that route. Make no mistake...Silent Hill was never really great at gameplay in the first place. NONE of them really have great gameplay, it was always more about atmosphere and mood and visual design and suspense. I'm saying that I appreciate how Downpour at least tried to be trying to rip off Silent Hill 2, which I personally feel was the best game in the series. At no point did I say that Downpour was a good game, at no point did I say that I loved it. Also...I reject the idea that "This is what this franchise should be about." In some cases, maybe. But Silent Hill? It was always weird and nonsensical and devoid of logic even at it's most literal. There is no "way it should be" because a huge part of the horror about it is the fact that it's a world in which logic and rules simply do not apply. It "should be" whatever it "is". This is the weird case in which there even BEING a set of rules that the game should adhere to violates the entire point. Caring about the STORY in a Silent Hill game is about as meaningful as caring about the story in FLCL. It doesn't work like that. Defining what it's supposed to be invalidates what it did best. Formula doesn't apply. Gameplay formula doesn't apply, because the gameplay always sort of sucked right from the beginning. Same with story. At its best (Silent Hill 2), it mainly dealt with broad themes and appropriate visuals, while leaving logic and gameplay and story to the curb. The biggest appeal is illogical and nonsensical terror. It's literally like being in a nightmare, and having a set of expectations about what it SHOULD be about invalidates precisely what made it work. Silent Hill is dead. At best, there'll be more games with better gameplay and visuals that try to repeat the same old formula, but that seems wonky to me. Merely making it about Silent Hill at all is missing the point, and placing unnecessary restrictions on the material. F*** Silent Hill, it's dead. Focus on something new, and carry over themes and ideas from Silent Hill if it's appropriate to do so.
Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

"What do you want in the next Silent Hill game?"

A freaking, literally Silent Hill for once! o_O There has NEVER been any in ALL games O_O

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 turtlethetaffer

GreekGameManiac

How did Downpour not deliver on what the games are "supposed to be?" It had plenty of psychological stuff and a great atmosphere to boot. Plus some of the side quests were just really creepy. I think SH fans need to pull their heads out of their asses.

Philosopho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Philosopho
Member since 2012 • 86 Posts
It needs Team Silent. That's just my take, of course I may just have my head up my ass. I'll have to check with turtlethetaffer, since he's the only one who has a genuine opinion of his own.
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 turtlethetaffer

It needs Team Silent. That's just my take, of course I may just have my head up my ass. I'll have to check with turtlethetaffer, since he's the only one who has a genuine opinion of his own.Philosopho

What I meant was fans need to stop acting like "Oh, any games past the third are total sh!t and completely irrelevant." It's just stupid and whiny. I love the earlier games but Downpour was pretty great. It retained the feeling of earlier games while making it less annoying to play. And anyone who thinks that Downpour forces fighting too much should replay 2 and 3. It was either fight, or run through a crowd of enemies through cramped corridors while hoping to take as little damage as possible. Fans need to take their nostalgia goggles off. I'm not saying Downpour is the ebst one (3 is my personal fav) but people need to stop acting like they "ruined" the series with Downpour.

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

I want a survival horror game. Limited to no combat. A story that will freak me out. A setting that breathes atmosphere. Monsters that are both dangerous, well thought out and disgusting or horrifying. Survival horror, everyone.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 turtlethetaffer

I want a survival horror game. Limited to no combat. A story that will freak me out. A setting that breathes atmosphere. Monsters that are both dangerous, well thought out and disgusting or horrifying. Survival horror, everyone.

PetJel

Downpour had most of that. More combat towards the end but you'd be surprised how many fights you can run away from in the game. Also one of the game's problems IMO was that the monster deisgn wasn't up to par with previous games like 2 and 3.

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PetJel

[QUOTE="PetJel"]

turtlethetaffer

Downpour had most of that. More combat towards the end but you'd be surprised how many fights you can run away from in the game. Also one of the game's problems IMO was that the monster deisgn wasn't up to par with previous games like 2 and 3.

I have to be honest, I stopped paying attention to the franchise after Origins and Homecoming. Well I might have to check out Downpour then, even if the monsters are a bit more meh. :)
Lord_Nas3k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Lord_Nas3k
Member since 2006 • 1492 Posts

Actual survival horror, and a fresh, more original protagonist. The "I'm insane, and it turns out, all along, that I killed so-and-so!" deal has gotten old as hell.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

[QUOTE="PetJel"]

PetJel

I have to be honest, I stopped paying attention to the franchise after Origins and Homecoming. Well I might have to check out Downpour then, even if the monsters are a bit more meh. :)

Downpour is much better than homecoming. (Although I personally enjoyed Homecoming.) The combat is the best it's been in the series (but it's still really clunky) but they made it so you don't have to kill the monsters (they get "knocked out" after a certain unmber of hits) and you can run from the majority of encounters in the game. Also, the world is open, so you can explore different parts of Silent Hill and do sidequests and stuff. Despite the "eh" monsters, the game is still really creepy, especially in one quest called Turn Back Time. You might think the quests detract from the atmosphere, but they enhance it more than anything. final note... there are parts in the last section of the game where you pretty much have to fight, but you can run from the bulk of the battles in the game.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 turtlethetaffer

Actual survival horror, and a fresh, more original protagonist. The "I'm insane, and it turns out, all along, that I killed so-and-so!" deal has gotten old as hell.

Lord_Nas3k

Downpour didn't have that.

Lord_Nas3k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Lord_Nas3k
Member since 2006 • 1492 Posts

[QUOTE="Lord_Nas3k"]

turtlethetaffer

Oh, really? I haven't gotten a chance to play Downpour yet. Didn't seem all that well-recieved so I kind of forgot about it.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="Lord_Nas3k"]

Lord_Nas3k

Oh, really? I haven't gotten a chance to play Downpour yet. Didn't seem all that well-recieved so I kind of forgot about it.

The protagonist knows everything that happened... the player doesn't. There is a "reveal" but the themes of the story are grief and poor decision making. It's pretty interesting since there's no part where he just suddenly remembers everything. It's better than, say, Homecoming's story.

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PetJel

[QUOTE="PetJel"][QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

turtlethetaffer

Downpour is much better than homecoming. (Although I personally enjoyed Homecoming.) The combat is the best it's been in the series (but it's still really clunky) but they made it so you don't have to kill the monsters (they get "knocked out" after a certain unmber of hits) and you can run from the majority of encounters in the game. Also, the world is open, so you can explore different parts of Silent Hill and do sidequests and stuff. Despite the "eh" monsters, the game is still really creepy, especially in one quest called Turn Back Time. You might think the quests detract from the atmosphere, but they enhance it more than anything. final note... there are parts in the last section of the game where you pretty much have to fight, but you can run from the bulk of the battles in the game.

Sounds good enough, I'll try it sometime =) thanks.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Homecoming is my favorite Silent Hill after the originals so .... more like that. Get rid of the weapon degradation thing though, that is just annoying as hell. Otherwise Homecoming is a slam dunk for what I want out of the series.
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="PetJel"] I have to be honest, I stopped paying attention to the franchise after Origins and Homecoming. Well I might have to check out Downpour then, even if the monsters are a bit more meh. :)PetJel

Sounds good enough, I'll try it sometime =) thanks.

Sure, anytime, happy to help.

GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GreekGameManiac

@turtlethefather : the monsters in Downpour SUCKED,music wasn't nearly as memorable or scary,and it didn't really have the "this is a Silent Hill game" feeling.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MrGeezer

@turtlethefather : the monsters in Downpour SUCKED,music wasn't nearly as memorable or scary,and it didn't really have the "this is a Silent Hill game" feeling.

GreekGameManiac
I think it felt like a Silent Hill game, at least in big stretches (though I totally agree with your other complaints). My deal with it was...even when it was working and totally DID feel like a true Silent Hill game, it just seemed like I'd seen all that $*** before. Diverging from games a bit, I've gotta compare it a bit to the Alien movie series. Alien? Fantastic movie. Aliens? Also fantastic. But they just kept making more and more movies. Fans will say that the later movies just sort of sucked due to pure incompetence on some level, and that a truly great Alien movie could be made today. I agree with the first part, and sort of disagree with the second. Alien worked on multiple levels, but a large part of it was simply the element of DISCOVERY. The concept wasn't particularly new, but the effect was that the monster was like nothing anyone had ever seen before. And we didn't even see that much. It was weird and strange and inaccessable, and part of the reason why it worked was because it was just so...Alien. But now it's just so demystified and explained and over-saturated within pop culture that it's probably impossible to recapture that magic.The Aliens have just plain stopped being scary. Too much exposure has left the franchise dead. I sort of feel that Silent Hill is the same way. Granted, several of the games sort of sucked because they just plain weren't very good. Crappy monsters, crappy puzzles, subpar gameplay, ridiculous story, etc etc. One might think that the next Silent Hill game would be great if only it were made by the right people with the right time and budget. But...I honestly sort of doubt it. Even if the next Silent Hill game was the PERFECT Silent Hill game, wouldn't it just sort of be the same thing we'd seen before? Going back to what has drawn me to Silent Hill in the first place, it WASN'T because of stuff like great story or great gameplay or great graphics. I got hooked because "holy $***, I have never played anything like this before in my life." To my knowledge, there was simply nothing else quite like it, and that originality was a HUGE part of why it worked for me. But after so many Silent Hill games, how possible is it to recapture that? Any "true" Silent Hill game that "feels like Silent Hill" is necessarily just gonna have a HUGE element of "I've already seen this". And that's precisely the direction that the gamemakers SHOULDN'T go. I really think it's time to just ditch the franchise. It was great for a while, but it's gone on for far too long and I don't think it's possible to recapture that sense of originality by making more and more goddamn sequels. Let it die, and focus on something new.
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GreekGameManiac

I think it felt like a Silent Hill game, at least in big stretches (though I totally agree with your other complaints). My deal with it was...even when it was working and totally DID feel like a true Silent Hill game, it just seemed like I'd seen all that $*** before. Diverging from games a bit, I've gotta compare it a bit to the Alien movie series. Alien? Fantastic movie. Aliens? Also fantastic. But they just kept making more and more movies. Fans will say that the later movies just sort of sucked due to pure incompetence on some level, and that a truly great Alien movie could be made today. I agree with the first part, and sort of disagree with the second. Alien worked on multiple levels, but a large part of it was simply the element of DISCOVERY. The concept wasn't particularly new, but the effect was that the monster was like nothing anyone had ever seen before. And we didn't even see that much. It was weird and strange and inaccessable, and part of the reason why it worked was because it was just so...Alien. But now it's just so demystified and explained and over-saturated within pop culture that it's probably impossible to recapture that magic.The Aliens have just plain stopped being scary. Too much exposure has left the franchise dead. I sort of feel that Silent Hill is the same way. Granted, several of the games sort of sucked because they just plain weren't very good. Crappy monsters, crappy puzzles, subpar gameplay, ridiculous story, etc etc. One might think that the next Silent Hill game would be great if only it were made by the right people with the right time and budget. But...I honestly sort of doubt it. Even if the next Silent Hill game was the PERFECT Silent Hill game, wouldn't it just sort of be the same thing we'd seen before? Going back to what has drawn me to Silent Hill in the first place, it WASN'T because of stuff like great story or great gameplay or great graphics. I got hooked because "holy $***, I have never played anything like this before in my life." To my knowledge, there was simply nothing else quite like it, and that originality was a HUGE part of why it worked for me. But after so many Silent Hill games, how possible is it to recapture that? Any "true" Silent Hill game that "feels like Silent Hill" is necessarily just gonna have a HUGE element of "I've already seen this". And that's precisely the direction that the gamemakers SHOULDN'T go. I really think it's time to just ditch the franchise. It was great for a while, but it's gone on for far too long and I don't think it's possible to recapture that sense of originality by making more and more goddamn sequels. Let it die, and focus on something new.MrGeezer

Actually that's the wrong kind of thinking.

Why let it die?

Just reboot it in some way.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MrGeezer
Why let it die?GreekGameManiac
Because we still want more. People seriously need to learn how to let go. The agony of something great being gone too soon is far preferable to the hell of waiting until it has overstayed its welcome (and I'm sure that many people think that Silent Hill has already passed that point). It was great for a while. And no matter how good future installments are, it's very unlikely that it'll ever be able to recreate that magic. So it's time to let it go. The people responsible should just move on, and work on something new and original to fill that void. You don't keep going until people are begging you to stop, you quit while you're ahead, and bow out gracefully while people still want more of what you're offering.
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GreekGameManiac

Because we still want more. People seriously need to learn how to let go. The agony of something great being gone too soon is far preferable to the hell of waiting until it has overstated its welcome (and I'm sure that many people think that Silent Hill has already passed that point). It was great for a while. And no matter how good future installments are, it's very unlikely that it'll ever be able to recreate that magic. So it's time to let it go. The people responsible should just move on, and work on something new and original to fill that void. You don't keep going until people are begging you to stop, you quit while you're ahead, and bow out gracefully while people still want more of what you're offering.MrGeezer

I wish it was that easy...

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 turtlethetaffer

GreekGameManiac

And what kind of "feeling" do silent Hill games have? Eerie atmosphere through fog? downpour has that. Dark story? Downpour has that. Symbolism throughout? yup, look at that, Downpour has that. Puzzles? Check. Crap combat? Better than other games but still pretty bad.

They try and change things up, and fans say it doesn't have the "Silent Hill" feel. If they made it more like older games I would bet cash that fans would b!tch and moan about how there needs to be something new. God, SH fans are almost as bad as Final Fantasy and Zelda fans in terms of b!tchiness.

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#30 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

I want a great psychological horror game, not a decent one that merely is passable, but a solid entry to the franchise.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

[QUOTE="GreekGameManiac"]

MrGeezer

I think it felt like a Silent Hill game, at least in big stretches (though I totally agree with your other complaints). My deal with it was...even when it was working and totally DID feel like a true Silent Hill game, it just seemed like I'd seen all that $*** before. Diverging from games a bit, I've gotta compare it a bit to the Alien movie series. Alien? Fantastic movie. Aliens? Also fantastic. But they just kept making more and more movies. Fans will say that the later movies just sort of sucked due to pure incompetence on some level, and that a truly great Alien movie could be made today. I agree with the first part, and sort of disagree with the second. Alien worked on multiple levels, but a large part of it was simply the element of DISCOVERY. The concept wasn't particularly new, but the effect was that the monster was like nothing anyone had ever seen before. And we didn't even see that much. It was weird and strange and inaccessable, and part of the reason why it worked was because it was just so...Alien. But now it's just so demystified and explained and over-saturated within pop culture that it's probably impossible to recapture that magic.The Aliens have just plain stopped being scary. Too much exposure has left the franchise dead. I sort of feel that Silent Hill is the same way. Granted, several of the games sort of sucked because they just plain weren't very good. Crappy monsters, crappy puzzles, subpar gameplay, ridiculous story, etc etc. One might think that the next Silent Hill game would be great if only it were made by the right people with the right time and budget. But...I honestly sort of doubt it. Even if the next Silent Hill game was the PERFECT Silent Hill game, wouldn't it just sort of be the same thing we'd seen before? Going back to what has drawn me to Silent Hill in the first place, it WASN'T because of stuff like great story or great gameplay or great graphics. I got hooked because "holy $***, I have never played anything like this before in my life." To my knowledge, there was simply nothing else quite like it, and that originality was a HUGE part of why it worked for me. But after so many Silent Hill games, how possible is it to recapture that? Any "true" Silent Hill game that "feels like Silent Hill" is necessarily just gonna have a HUGE element of "I've already seen this". And that's precisely the direction that the gamemakers SHOULDN'T go. I really think it's time to just ditch the franchise. It was great for a while, but it's gone on for far too long and I don't think it's possible to recapture that sense of originality by making more and more goddamn sequels. Let it die, and focus on something new.

Well said. If Konami were as healthy as they were in generations past they'd probably put Silent Hill out of its misery, but while Silent Hill isn't popular by any stretch of the imagination, it is more popular than any Konami franchise not named Meal Gear.

GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GreekGameManiac

And what kind of "feeling" do silent Hill games have? Eerie atmosphere through fog? downpour has that. Dark story? Downpour has that. Symbolism throughout? yup, look at that, Downpour has that. Puzzles? Check. Crap combat? Better than other games but still pretty bad.

They try and change things up, and fans say it doesn't have the "Silent Hill" feel. If they made it more like older games I would bet cash that fans would b!tch and moan about how there needs to be something new. God, SH fans are almost as bad as Final Fantasy and Zelda fans in terms of b!tchiness.

turtlethetaffer

I don't agree with you,it didn't really have those things,imo.

And i'm not that fanboyish,it's just i want a really good SH game for one.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19c359a3789
deactivated-5b19c359a3789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5b19c359a3789
Member since 2002 • 7785 Posts

Japanese developers.

MarkAndExecute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MarkAndExecute
Member since 2012 • 450 Posts
I think it would be interesting if they were to have the next installment take place in the 19th century, like sort of have it as a prequel of the first Silent Hill.
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GreekGameManiac

Maybe Grasshopper Manufacture?

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#36 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

Well said. If Konami were as healthy as they were in generations past they'd probably put Silent Hill out of its misery, but while Silent Hill isn't popular by any stretch of the imagination, it is more popular than any Konami franchise not named Meal Gear.

CarnageHeart

I would guess (and hope) Castlevania is more popular than Silent Hill as well.

And I fail to see how Downpour was a disappointment to anyone. Silent Hill has sucked for a long time that it's to the point where when something is good in the franchise it's surprising. Hard to be disappointed at a time when mediocrity is just to be expected.

BIOHAZARD450

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BIOHAZARD450
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

DOWNPOUR  WAS THE WORST Silent Hill ever, not scary at all, it has no SH wibe....As for the next SH game ,i would hope it would be Like  SH2 and Homecoming....

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 turtlethetaffer

DOWNPOUR WAS THE WORST Silent Hill ever, not scary at all, it has no SH wibe....As for the next SH game ,i would hope it would be Like SH2 and Homecoming....

BIOHAZARD450

I find it ironic that oyu say Downpour is the worst and yet you say you like homecoming.

I like them both, I'm just saying that it's usually the other way around.