What do you think are the top 5 most visually impressive RPGs on the PS2?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by GreySeal9 (28247 posts) -

My list:

1. Final Fantasy X 

2. Final Fantasy XII

3. Dragon Quest VIII

4. Valkyrie Profile 2

5. Persona 3 and 4 (lumping these together because they look almost exactly the same in terms of their technical graphics even if it the art is different)

#2 Posted by Dudersaper (32951 posts) -
Out of your picks I'd order them as Dragon Quest VIII FFXII Persona 3/4 Valkyrie Profile 2 FFX By visually impressive I'm counting character design/art direction and not just technical graphics.
#3 Posted by GreySeal9 (28247 posts) -

Out of your picks I'd order them as Dragon Quest VIII FFXII Persona 3/4 Valkyrie Profile 2 FFX By visually impressive I'm counting character design/art direction and not just technical graphics.Dudersaper

Yeah, I am as well.

On another note, there really doesn't seem to be all that many truly visually impressive RPGs on the PS2.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
#4 Posted by ristactionjakso (6118 posts) -

Dragonquest 8, Rogue Galaxy, FF 10, FF 12 and Tales of the Abyss.

#5 Posted by MLBknights58 (5016 posts) -

I've been playing a good bit of Nocturne lately, and its art been absolutely growing on me, despite the lack of a color palette in some areas.

Final Fantasy X had a cool thing going on.

Well fvck me I can't remember a single other RPG I played on the PS2.  Will have more later.

#6 Posted by BarbaricAvatar (982 posts) -

I haven't played nearly as many as most of the regulars here. I'm fussy. :D

1. Valkyrie Profile 2
  2. Dragon Quest 8
  3. Summoner 2
  4. Kingdom Hearts 2
  5. Kingdom Hearts

Technically Summoner 2 is behind the Kingdom Hearts games, but it's an imaginative, absorbing world and a nice place to be which is why i rate it higher.

I've got others i could mention, but i haven't played them yet so they don't count.

#7 Posted by rastotm (1380 posts) -

Apart from the obvious choices, Dark Chronicle deserves a mention.

#8 Posted by rilpas (8161 posts) -
if we're taking about graphics that are rendered in real time and not in cutscenes or CGI then I'd say the Baldur's Gate games
#9 Posted by Cataclism (1537 posts) -
Final Fantasy XII, both in technical and artistic aspects. Ivalice >>> All
#10 Posted by logicalfrank (1686 posts) -

I am not going to get into what's best technically but I love the cel-shaded artsyle of Dragon Quest VIII and so that impresses me the most. It's not my favorite game in the world but definitely the one on PS2 where I found myself roaming around just to take in sights on occassion.

#11 Posted by cprmauldin (1567 posts) -

DQ VIII was and still is gorgeous. Rogue Galaxy also still holds up fairly well.

#12 Posted by Pikminmaniac (11185 posts) -

I'd have to go with Dragon Quest VIII. I like the cell shaded look and that incredible open world

#13 Posted by CommanderShiro (21746 posts) -

Dragon Quest VIII still impresses me.

#14 Posted by ChiefFreeman (5669 posts) -

I think Dark Cloud 2 should be included here.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
#15 Posted by Eikichi-Onizuka (9053 posts) -
1. Dragon Quest VIII 2. Final Fantasy XII 3. Rogue Galaxy 4. Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria 5. Tales of the Abyss If I'm listing 5. The Persona games, Suikoden 5, Star Ocean 3, and some others look pretty good as well.
#16 Posted by Allicrombie (26207 posts) -

I think Dark Cloud 2 should be included here.

ChiefFreeman
I second this motion.
Avatar image for Admiral-lemnant
#17 Posted by Admiral-lemnant (160 posts) -

Depends. Visually there are a lot, Technically? Then no Jrpg would make the cut. Although the PS2 is low on technical rpg in general.

#18 Posted by Melkari (578 posts) -

The always overlooked Xenosaga Episode III looks quite good for a PS2 game.

#19 Posted by TheLoneMortal (136 posts) -

The always overlooked Xenosaga Episode III looks quite good for a PS2 game.

Melkari

Ep. 3 had gorgeous cutscenes, no question. The game's budget cuts do show in a number of areas however. Text boxes accompanied a majority of the voiced dialogue instead of fully animated scenes like most of the more action oriented sequences or significant moments in the story. Presentation didn't feel consistent imo.

Out of the list up there, I would choose FF12.

#20 Posted by Cloud_765 (111394 posts) -
Out of your picks I'd say Final Fantasy XII out of all them. However It's sad you didn't put Xenosaga III in there. HAVE YOU SEEN THAT GAME?
#21 Posted by Jag85 (10679 posts) -

Final Fantasy X

In terms of art design, FFX is the PS2 RPG that I still find to be the most visually impressive...

tidus-yuna.jpg

16.jpg

ffx1.jpg

#22 Posted by Clock-w0rk (3378 posts) -

Final Fantasy XII, both in technical and artistic aspects. Ivalice >>> AllCataclism

This, Ivalice is heavenly.

#23 Posted by GreySeal9 (28247 posts) -

[QUOTE="Cataclism"]Final Fantasy XII, both in technical and artistic aspects. Ivalice >>> AllClock-w0rk

It's really amazing how they kept the visual fidelity so high considering the size of the world. Technically, the game looks better than FFX (tho I think FFX looks better in an artistic sense), yet the areas are so much bigger.

Nice sig BTW.

#24 Posted by GeoffZak (3715 posts) -

Final Fantasy XII (I honestly thought it was a PS3 game when I first saw it.)

Wild Arms 5

Kingdom Hearts 1 and/or 2

Persona 4

Dragon Quest VIII

#25 Posted by whiskeystrike (12172 posts) -

[QUOTE="Clock-w0rk"]

[QUOTE="Cataclism"]Final Fantasy XII, both in technical and artistic aspects. Ivalice >>> AllGreySeal9

It's really amazing how they kept the visual fidelity so high considering the size of the world. Technically, the game looks better than FFX (tho I think FFX looks better in an artistic sense), yet the areas are so much bigger.

Nice sig BTW.

Yah I'm a huge Ivalice fanboy. I still think it's the best gameworld to date. From what I understand the design team traveled Europe and studied various architecture which really showed in their cities.