What do you do with the games that you finish?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NiKva
Member since 2010 • 8181 Posts

I usually just keep mine around for the heck of it, but recently I've been thinking of selling them.

I am probably driving my parents broke. My uncomplete to complete ratio is somewhere around 500:1 (aka 500 unfinished for every finished).

Other than games, I've also been buying a lot of books.

The amount of money they've spent on me is mostly going to waste.

Well enough about me, what do you do?

brucecambell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 brucecambell
Member since 2011 • 1489 Posts

What do i do with games that i finish?

The same thing i do with movies i have finished watching. I put them on my shelf until the day i feel like playing them again. This could be months or years before i feel like going back to them but there is no sense in getting rid of them.

I know one day ill want to play the game again just out of pure nostalgia. If i were to get rid of them i would just end up missing them down the road & visciously searching stores, or Ebay to find them, having to purchase them all over again.

Maybe 5 years down the line you'll want to go back to that book, that movie, or that game. Its always best to keep what you have purchased. I never understood peoples mentality of buying something & then getting rid of it. You might as well never purchase anything, you might as well rent everything.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
Usually shelve them until I feel like playing them again, which can be 10+ years.
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

I keep them installed on my hard drive, so that I can replay them whenever I want.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44485 Posts
I use to always be trading in my games but at some point during this gen I decided to just keep them and have a growing collection of games and let me tell you it feels great. Before I'd always end up with "trader's remorse" but not anymore. Now after I finish a game I'll put it on my shelf. I may replay it or I may not but it's always there at least.
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

I move onto something else. Depending on the game I might uninstall it to free up some room on my harddrive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#7 AvatarMan96
Member since 2010 • 7324 Posts

Play them again, and again, and again

RobertBowen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 RobertBowen
Member since 2003 • 4094 Posts

If it's a good game that I enjoyed, I keep it on my game shelf (or on my hard drive) ready to play again when I feel like it. This accounts for the majority of my game collection.

If it's a bad (console) game, I stick it in a box ready for a local charity to sell, or give it away if a friend's really interested in it. But I tend to do a lot of research on a game these days to prevent buying bad games in the first place.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

I keep them around. Belive it or not, I have specific days in the year, that I revisit old games.

Like on May the 1st. (basicly today :P) I will start up one of the Black isle rpgs. On my birthday, I will make a playthrough of Super mario bros 3, or megaman 2-3. On Christmas, I tend to be halfdepressed and go for the old MGS games ^^

Games never loses alot of value with me, graphics while nice, does not make or break a game for me (unless its actually broken). Like Movies I like to replay the games that have a special place for me. Heck when summer comes at its highest (July) I can bet youall that I am playing Street fighter 2 (maybe super) just because it is something I did every summer when I was younger. (that SF2 theme, is pretty much my version of "summertime" ^^

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17689 Posts

Keep them. If a game is good enough for me to finish, it's good enough to keep and replay through.

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#11 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

I borrow many games from my library, so when I am done with one, I get another. It's a nice set up for my wallet. As for games I buy, I keep them. I only buy games I know I will love and know I will play them again and again.

DarthJohnova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 DarthJohnova
Member since 2010 • 4599 Posts

If I really enjoy it, then I keep it. If not, I trade it in for something I'll enjoy more.

brandon2802

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 brandon2802
Member since 2004 • 1773 Posts
I keep the ones I really like or that have some reason to keep playing. But games that are just fun I'll either sell or trade away, example Crysis 2. Or just uninstall on PC.
HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

If it's something I enjoyed, I'll keep it and save it for a rainy day to play through again. If it's crap, I usually trade it in before completing it.

manjam2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 manjam2
Member since 2011 • 108 Posts

I don't sell my games. I usally use them as sort of trophies. Until the past 4 or 5 Years, I really didn't finish games. More recently I have been PTF (Playing to finish) games. I am Starting Dragon Age II today and finished Skyrim Months ago. I usually just put my games aside when I am done with them. I found that even after finishing the Second GTA 4 epsiode, I can still play it for hours.

BdogTheGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 BdogTheGamer
Member since 2009 • 675 Posts
i keep them for my shelf
MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 MadVybz
Member since 2009 • 2797 Posts

I keep them. More often times than not, years go by, and I end up replaying them to get a nostalgia fix.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#18 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I keep them. Chances are I will want to replay them somewhere down the line.

TheFatPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TheFatPerson
Member since 2011 • 1806 Posts

I keep them. Don't really have a choice. I game almost exclusively on the PC and all the games I own are either digital downloads from Steam/GoG or have some sort of DRM.

If it's a bad game, I usually never touch it again. If it's a good game, I might go and replay it, or find other things to do with it.

gpuFX16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gpuFX16
Member since 2006 • 1296 Posts

I keep almost all the games I buy. I can find something to like in most games I play, so I end up keeping them, cases and all, in the event that I choose to revisit them in the future. Most of the time, I just can't part with them. I like having all my game cases on display because I have an inexplicable and probably petty sentimental attachment to doing so.

jhalter1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jhalter1
Member since 2011 • 302 Posts

I usually just keep mine around for the heck of it, but recently I've been thinking of selling them.

I am probably driving my parents broke. My uncomplete to complete ratio is somewhere around 500:1 (aka 500 unfinished for every finished).

Other than games, I've also been buying a lot of books.

The amount of money they've spent on me is mostly going to waste.

Well enough about me, what do you do?

NiKva
500:1!?!?!? Are...are you loaded? Does your dad drive a lamborghini as a "beater"? Is your mom a supermodel?
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Me? I delete all my save games and then play again.

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts
I use to sell them right away but for some reason I now have a shelf full of beaten games(read--only about 8-10 total). I should just trade them in to Amazon for credit.
Avatar image for GalvatronType_R
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GalvatronType_R
Member since 2003 • 3113 Posts

I use them as toilet paper.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
put them in my game collection....to be replayed when i want to in the future. I never sell my games
CRS98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26 CRS98
Member since 2004 • 9036 Posts
If I don't keep them, they either go to my brother or they get pawned and I'll never see them again.
GHO5T-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GHO5T-
Member since 2011 • 419 Posts
Keep them to build in my collection. I used to sell my games couple years ago but not anymore.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#28 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I keep all my games and movies.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

The same thing i do with movies i have finished watching. I put them on my shelf until the day i feel like playing them again.

brucecambell

/thread

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#30 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I keep them. Platinumed games go on one shelf, the rest go on another. The few dollars I'd get for trading them in would hardly be worth not having them around in case I wanted to play them again some day. I'd feel like a fool if I took 30 or 40 games in for trade-in and came home with some pitiful little bit of credit towards a future purchase.

nima_metal90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 nima_metal90
Member since 2009 • 775 Posts
Sharing wth friends or keep thm for collection
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#32 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

What do i do with games that i finish?

The same thing i do with movies i have finished watching. I put them on my shelf until the day i feel like playing them again. This could be months or years before i feel like going back to them but there is no sense in getting rid of them.

I know one day ill want to play the game again just out of pure nostalgia. If i were to get rid of them i would just end up missing them down the road & visciously searching stores, or Ebay to find them, having to purchase them all over again.

Maybe 5 years down the line you'll want to go back to that book, that movie, or that game. Its always best to keep what you have purchased. I never understood peoples mentality of buying something & then getting rid of it. You might as well never purchase anything, you might as well rent everything.

brucecambell

Exactly. I'm the same. Once I'm done with a videogame in its entirety, I just put it back in my shelf until I feel like going back to it for whatever reason, you know?

However, there are some exceptions to the rule; some games you buy and play, come to find out that they are really bad, so you get rid of them and that's perfectly OK.

bats94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 bats94
Member since 2012 • 590 Posts

I just keep them in my hard drive or in my shelf until I feel like playing them (mainly PS1 games-for example Metal Gear Solid and ISS Pro 98). I have never really sold off any games as most of them are too precious and sentimental to give away to others.

mooooo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#34 mooooo99
Member since 2008 • 1252 Posts

i put them back on m shelf until i wish to play them again.. selling games is silly.

waterproof9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35 waterproof9
Member since 2012 • 407 Posts
Once I have finished a game I usually put it aside and start a new one immediately. However there have been a few that I play all over again. I've never thrown away a game, even those that I didn't really enjoy or was quite disapointed in the entire game from start to finish. I will give those games a second go just in case I missed the point.
thegroveman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 thegroveman
Member since 2012 • 123 Posts

I keep some, trade others on Craigslist (or sell if I can get $30+) or trade into my local mom-and-pop game store (NOT GAMESTOP)

4dr1el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 4dr1el
Member since 2012 • 2380 Posts

TC has rich parents I see...

I always finish my games, ALWAYS. If I liked it, I'll keep it in my collection for future playthroughs or just for collection porposes. If I disliked it or found it meh I'll sell it to buy new games.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
Play them again or put them on the shelf. I considers games to be artistic and I never sell things that are art. I did when I was a child because I didn't have an appreciation for art at the time, but even then I think I've sold three games in my whole life, and 2 of them only because I really disliked them and didn't want to have them in my collection.
tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

I put them on the shelf or they just stay here on Steam until the day that I feel that I should replay them.

Brean24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Brean24
Member since 2007 • 1659 Posts

TC has rich parents I see...

I always finish my games, ALWAYS. If I liked it, I'll keep it in my collection for future playthroughs or just for collection porposes. If I disliked it or found it meh I'll sell it to buy new games.

4dr1el
I have over 400 games in my collection, my parents aren't rich. It's called being intelligent with your money and saving.
Virtua_Souls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Virtua_Souls
Member since 2012 • 267 Posts

Sounds like you're feeling guilty about money issues, but at least you're aware of it. Anyway, I'll shut up, not my business.

I keep my games. I very rarely sell any of them. I always make sure to really research any game that I buy first to be sure that it's something that I'll really enjoy and play for a good while, and that it's something that I want to keep. Anything else, I rent.

Jagged3dge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Jagged3dge
Member since 2008 • 3895 Posts

I rent most games so obviously I send them back

If I buy a game I plan on keeping it forever

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

jones warehouse

...untill I play them again after x years.

josephl64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 josephl64
Member since 2008 • 4424 Posts

I place mine on my shelf in my mini-collection

Norrie91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Norrie91
Member since 2009 • 2444 Posts

I'll keep it untill I know I definitely won't play it again and then trade it in.

Films on the otherhand, If I like it I'll keep it (I currentlly own over 1000 DVDs/Blurays) and if I don't like it, Its an instant trade in.

contracts420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 contracts420
Member since 2008 • 1956 Posts

Keep them. If a game is good enough for me to finish, it's good enough to keep and replay through.

MirkoS77

I have to agree with this.

I don't listen to a song and say to myself "eh that wasn't bad, it was a good song but no need to ever listen to it again"

I don't watch a movie and say to myself "eh that was a good movie, I enjoyed it, now it's time to sell it"

If I enjoy something I will want to play it again. Heck I don't even sell games I didn't enjoy much just because a year later I might play it again out of boredom and find it really enjoyable.

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#47 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

Hang on to them if I like them.