What are your top five hidden gems for the PS1?

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8771 Posts

I'm on a spree. Lemme know your top!

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#3 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Die Hard Trilogy

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#4 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

R-Type Delta

Fighting Force

Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain (amazing game btw)

Spiderman

Syndicate Wars

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7264 Posts

@sakaixx: Yeah, Blood Omen and Soul Reaver. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

Nascar Rumble. Remember Blur? This is basically a PS1 version of Blur.

Rollcage Stage 2

Omega Boost. PS1's answer to Panzer Dragoon and Star Fox. Only no one played it.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

Not in this order:

1. Ghost in the Shell
  2. Beast Wars
  3. Spider-Man 2: Enter Electro
  4. Gundam Battle Assault 2
  5. Megaman Legends & 2
HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1678 Posts

Tekken 3

Kings Field

Beyond the Beyond

Suikoden

Tenchu 2

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

A lot of the ones listed are hardily "hidden". Legacy of Kain, Suikoden, and Spider Man. . . really. They are all best sellers on the system, and got sequels due to success, some named are even universally loved IPs outside gaming.

Shadow Tower is my main pick, a From Software game few on here probably know exists_

As for my other four- Strider 2, Gamera 2000, Zanac, and Nekketsu Oyako.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#9 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

PS1 had good games?

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#10 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9175 Posts
  • Hogs of War
  • Vagrant Story
  • Um Jammer Lammy
  • Kula World
  • Kurushi
Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#12 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

@girlusocrazy said:
@Starshine_M2A2 said:

PS1 had good games?

Sounds like a discussion for SW, maybe you should check that forum out

Been there - done that. I can't fight a war on 3 fronts...

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2078 Posts

Grandia

Legend of Legia

Legend of Mana

Ape Escape

Medal of honor

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RSM-HQ
@benleslie5 said:
  • Hogs of War

Looking at Hogs of War now, is this a 3D Worms clone? Looks pretty fun!

Also a small indie studio is apparently remaking the game. Called "Reheated".

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#15 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

@RSM-HQ: Shadow Tower is also on my list, along with: Shadowman, KLonoa: Door to Phantomile, Ghost in the Shell, Legend of LeGaia

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 RSM-HQ

@Blueresident87 said:

@RSM-HQ: Shadow Tower is also on my list, along with: Shadowman, KLonoa: Door to Phantomile, Ghost in the Shell, Legend of LeGaia

It has been a long time but really liked Shadow Tower. Klonoa is another good call-out, though the first game sold well all considering the follow-ups are what sold less than well.

After Resident Evil: Village probably going to dive into a lot of retro games, think I'll bookmark this thread, as it's helping me with putting a list together.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Brave Fencer Musashi - A really fun action RPG with a cool skill-steal mechanic and full voice acting. Can't recommend enough.

Legend of Legaia

Vagrant Story

Monster Rancher

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

@RSM-HQ: I really want to like Village, but I am vastly unimpressed by Biohazard and I am a person who absolutely loves survival/horror games. I'm still (slowly) working my way through it but I have gotten tired of the 'invincible bad guy chases you around' gimmick very quickly; it's just a lazy way to create false suspense. It wouldn't be so bad if it was more sporadic like in Silent Hill 2 or the original Resident Evil 2. Having them show up every 15-20 minutes (so far) is just not scary, suspenseful, or fun. It is straight up ruining the game for me; I find myself laughing more than anything while I play it which doesn't seem right. Superhumans spewing obscenities and shambling around the house behind you like a robot...It just feels so ridiculous. Capcom leans on this waaaaay too much, and so far for me it has done the game no favors. I have come across one enemy type other than the family, and I'm not even really sure what it is. Really wanted to like this one

I liked the Demo for Village so I'm very hopeful. I'm sure they won't be able to resist the invincible baddy though...

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RSM-HQ
@Blueresident87 said:

Gotten tired of the 'invincible bad guy chases you around' gimmick very quickly; it's just a lazy way to create false suspense.

Not all the games in the series have this, 4 for example gives powerful enemies you can avoid to spare ammo, or can be taken down within that set-piece for a lot of gold.

My favorite one was wandering Forest in the original Gamecube remake (which later was ported to XB/PS/P.C./Switch) he was unlocked after three playthroughs, and is very fun, he can be killed but that's not the wisest option. .

Do agree most of the more recent 'good' Survival Horror games have thrown indestructible enemies with no reward to fighting them off. And it is to purely pad out the experience in a pretty cheap manner.

Nemesis still drops loot so I think Remake 3 handles it well. Overall it can be a tad tedious for many these others, and it does seem to repeat in Village. I hope they at-least make them weaker when fighting them as a boss if we gun them down during a chase; which was done in Psycho Break/ The Evil Within with Ruvik, Laura and Safe-Head.

Capcom leans on this waaaaay too much, and so far for me it has done the game no favors. I have come across one enemy type other than the family, and I'm not even really sure what it is. Really wanted to like this one

Cannot force yourself to like something, and that's ok. Survival Horror in general was always a very niche genre that follows a certain beat of the drum. The endless chaser is also an understandable gripe to have with these games.

Will agree too that I tire of the chaser set-piece. At least do something different with it. .

I really want to like Village, but I am vastly unimpressed by Biohazard and I am a person who absolutely loves survival/horror games.

Am very early in my copy of Village which I only just got, no un-killable stalker enemies yet, but the pacing is much like VII which gets on my nerves if I be perfectly honest.

Am a big fan of being in control, and have choices, which earlier Resident Evil games did extremely well. Village much like VII feels like a roller coaster, cannot diverge too much from the rails.