What are your favorite hub-like City Levels of all time?

Zuon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Zuon
Member since 2008 • 505 Posts

I'm not talking about true open world sandboxes, but more condensed game levels, linear or nonlinear, with just enough open-ness to tickle your exploration itch while doing the main missions?

My top 3 would be Prague in Deus Ex - Mankind Divided, Santa Monica in Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, and the Freeport City Dam level in 1998's "Sin." The latter gives me some nostalgic Goldeneye vibes, just without the frustrations of playing Goldeneye.

What are your picks, new or old? Doesn't matter when the game was released.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58299 Posts

@Zuon: Ooooh this is a good question/topic.

Had to think about this for a while, but I really loved the hub level from Dragon Age: Inquisition. I know it's not the most popular game but when you finally get your castle, there's just so much to explore and so many people to talk to. Plus it's beautiful.

I like both the hub zones from the Deus Ex prequels, Detroit and Prague.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58898 Posts

Tomb Raider 3 - Thames Wharf

While I don't personally think Tomb Raider 3 is as perfect as Tomb Raider 2, and as a game, it's never really been as big as the first two, it's opened-ended approach, namely a Megaman like map selection around the globe with the maps themselves giant labyrinths providing multiple routes to achieve objectives truly was a meaningful evolution of series, only to be quickly abandoned. Reductively simplified to increasingly shocking levels rather than standardized, refined and expanded upon.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts
  • Splinter Cell: Blacklist- Paladin
  • Resident Evil 2-RPD Station

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2078 Posts

Hexen has great hub levels. The game is extremely complicated to navigate even for todays standards.