What are your favorite games set in the winter time?

#1 Edited by warmblur (2165 posts) -

Snow in games can really add atmosphere to a game I always found it somewhat comforting at times if done correctly do you have favorite or memorable games that are set in the Winter? here's a few of mine.

Indigo Prophecy( 2005) That Diner level in the game always stuck with me over all these years even with the outdated graphics.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories(2009) The snow effects in this game are very well done this game reminds of certain areas where I live they did a great job creating a small town that feels like anywhere USA.

Until Dawn (2015) The Winter woods are so well done in this game it's so easy to get immersed in the setting.

#2 Posted by Ezekiel43 (1406 posts) -

Would be sweet if the PS5 backwards played Until Dawn at 30 fps.

#3 Posted by RSM-HQ (8217 posts) -

#4 Posted by Speeny (1517 posts) -

Animal Crossing when the winter season hits. :)

#5 Posted by VagrantSnow (272 posts) -

The original Shenmue. I remember playing Shenmue 2 and thinking it just didn't feel the same without the snow and Christmas lights and all that.

Freedom Fighters. As the game progressed it gets colder and winterierer. Really added to the atmosphere of the game.

Avatar image for yammireckorrdsan
#6 Posted by YammiReckorrdSan (604 posts) -

Most JRPGs has snow levels, so let's cut them off. So probably Rise of Tomb Raider.

#7 Posted by VFighter (4803 posts) -

U,charted 2 has a great snow area.

#8 Edited by uninspiredcup (32821 posts) -

Rogue Spear.

Loading Video...

#9 Posted by Renegade_Fury (20506 posts) -

Shenmue and most of the Yakuza games take place around Christmas and New Year's.

#10 Posted by Ish_basic (4973 posts) -

I remember playing Parasite Eve for the first time in December, I think it was. Kinda cool to play a game that's set around New Years during New Years, and the snowy, empty version of New York City it presented was very atmospheric.

I also consider the Winter chapter of the Last of Us one of my favorite moments in gaming.

The winter effects in Days Gone are pretty nice. The alpine environment in general really does it for me, but those low visibility moments with the snow starting to cover the streets and your bike slipping everywhere...it's a nice touch.

#11 Posted by VagrantSnow (272 posts) -

Also how could I forget Skyrim?

#12 Posted by Solaryellow (4809 posts) -

Arkham Origins

#13 Posted by Sevenizz (3648 posts) -

Syphon Filter 2 had a cool winter level as did Rainbow Six 3.

#14 Posted by mrbojangles25 (43791 posts) -

iirc Max Payne 2 was set during winter. Christmas, even; felt like a really ****ed up Die Hard :P

@Solaryellow said:

Arkham Origins

OOoooh yeah

#15 Posted by warmblur (2165 posts) -

@mrbojangles25 said:

iirc Max Payne 2 was set during winter. Christmas, even; felt like a really ****ed up Die Hard :P

@Solaryellow said:

Arkham Origins

OOoooh yeah

I love Origins this CGI trailer is so good I would love a next gen remake of this game with ray tracing.

Loading Video...

#16 Posted by SoNin360 (7071 posts) -

That's a good question... Skyrim's snowy settings instantly come to mind. There's also Horizon: Zero Dawn, Metro, and Witcher 3. I'm sure there's many games I'm missing that had at least one snowy area. Also like those kinds of settings.

#17 Edited by slots-money (3 posts) -

Nice question! In the winter time, I'm feeling need in sun, that why I remember about Choy Sun Doa
In my head I have association with sun It's China, so that's why I play these games

#18 Posted by Raining51 (804 posts) -

Possibly an older Blizzard game with Blizzards.