deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

2003 was 20 years ago...... depressing anyways since it's been 20 years what are your favorite games from that year?

Here's mine in no order.

• Max Payne 2 PC version
  • Tony Hawk Underground
  • The Simpsons Hit & Run
  • Manhunt
  • WWE SmackDown: Here Comes the Pain
  • SSX 3
  • Burnout 2
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#2 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34726 Posts

Ooh, awesome year for me.

GameCube:

• Zelda: Wind Waker
  • SSX 3
  • F-Zero GX
  • Mario Kart: Double Dash
  • Soul Calibur 2
  • Viewtiful Joe

GBA:

• Fire Emblem
  • Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

PC:

• Need for Speed: Underground
  • Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
  • Halo: Combat Evolved

Some games I wanted to play, but never did:

• Golden Sun: The Lost Age (GBA)
  • Sphinx & The Cursed Mummy (GC)
  • Tony Hawk's Underground (GC)
  • Burnout 2 (GC)
  • Metal Arms: Glitch in the System (GC)
  • Max Payne 2 (PC)
  • Freedom Fighters (PC)

Avatar image for masterkiller103
Masterkiller103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3 Masterkiller103
Member since 2022 • 468 Posts
  • Max Payne 2 (PC)
  • Burnout 2
  • The Simpsons: Hit and run.
  • Manhunt

Not that crazy of a year, nor is it lacking, a year where i played almost 12 games.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4  Edited By Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 25009 Posts

2003 was pretty weak year actually. Max payne 3 was disappointing sequel to one of the greatest game of all time but still great and didnot like most of games released that year so I go with Splinter cell 1 which was released on PC in 2003. that or Rainbow six raven shield (when R6 was tactical shooter) but 2004 my goodness. 2004 was to this day greatest gaming year ever.

the year when Half life 2 released and made entire gaming feel like joke.

apart from HL2 we had masterpiece like Doom 3, Riddick, Hitman contracts. but HL2 blow everything out of water.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ghosts4ever
@Litchie said:

Ooh, awesome year for me.

GameCube:

• Zelda: Wind Waker
  • SSX 3
  • F-Zero GX
  • Mario Kart: Double Dash
  • Soul Calibur 2
  • Viewtiful Joe

GBA:

• Fire Emblem
  • Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

PC:

• Need for Speed: Underground
  • Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
  • Halo: Combat Evolved

Some games I wanted to play, but never did:

• Golden Sun: The Lost Age (GBA)
  • Sphinx & The Cursed Mummy (GC)
  • Tony Hawk's Underground (GC)
  • Burnout 2 (GC)
  • Metal Arms: Glitch in the System (GC)
  • Max Payne 2 (PC)
  • Freedom Fighters (PC)

looking at list. man such a terrible year if people remove nastolgic glasses.

most of games are mediocre. Prince of persia was good I like it but not masterpiece. but its best game on your list. a year where only half decent Prince of persia is best game among list. means it was bad year.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11683 Posts

Hold up sailors Soulcalibur II was a port. The game itself released 2002 for arcades. Suppose if ports count this all becomes very confusing to me so will personally just look at original releases. SCII is still arguably the best entry in the franchise, however it is a game of the prior year, likewise with Wind Waker.

And with SCII & WW unpacked seems I agree with @ghosts4ever, despite that coming across as grossly negative to those who found these games fun. Ask yourselves, would you play your list of games today?

As such don't think much of 2003 looking at the full list of games (only two standouts, one being very subjective). If people think gaming use to be better? pick a better year. .

Siren, Silent Hill 3, Makai Senki Disgaea, & CastleVania: Aria of Sorrow are the only games I would give any form of praise. The first Disgaea is a game I would defend for its refreshing take on the genre, narration and characters. Gameplay however in-need of refinement (which sequels would provide).

The undisputed great game in my positive listing is Aria of Sorrow. That game alone sold the previous collection to any fan. AoS is a masterpiece. Many put it up with SotN and for good reason.

Manhunt was an interesting concept, and a guilty pleasure, but as a video game? it's below average. Shame it didn't turn into anything with sequels. I recommend if anyone wants to hunt gangs in bloody hellfire, and sneak in the shadows? play Huntdown (not released in 2003) it's just a better video game and captures all the grit and scumbaggery Manhunt offered.

2003 sadly for me (outside two games) is always known as the year that gave us Devil May Cry 2, which is disgusting.

we had masterpiece like Doom 3

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Litchie
@RSM-HQ said:

Ask yourselves, would you play your list of games today?

Yeah, most of the games I listed. Played F-Zero GX just a few days ago, still awesome.

@RSM-HQ said:

As such the undisputed great game in my positive listing is Aria of Sorrow. That game alone sold the previous collection to any fan. AoS is a masterpiece. Many put it up with SotN and for good reason.

A shame I never played it. Played Dawn of Sorrow and loved it.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RSM-HQ

@Litchie: Some of my take is rooted in ignorance admittedly, haven't played an F-Zero or a Max Payne game.

I just see a Simpsons game and an American Wrestling game and it looks like a dull year if they're highlights (they could be amazing I dunno). Not to mention this was Devil May Cry 2 year. . Doesn't help that once I see a user call D00M III a "masterpiece" I believe the bar is being set pretty low for the 2000's generation of gaming.

I'm all in agreement for Wind Waker and Soul Calibur II being great games.

Dawn of Sorrow is a decent sequel with forced/ clunky touch screen mechanics. Very unnecessary and would have been better without Nintendo's push. Touch screen on the DS can be fun, this wasn't the game for it. Luckily the other two CV DS games didn't suffer this fate nearly as bad. If we ever get a collection of this trilogy I'm curious how they'll handle it.

blackra1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 blackra1n
Member since 2023 • 6 Posts

Play Station

• Silent Hill 3
  • Castlevania LOI
  • Crash Nitro
  • Devil May Cry (THE BEST!!!!)
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Litchie

@RSM-HQ said:

@Litchie: Some of my take is rooted in ignorance admittedly, haven't played an F-Zero or a Max Payne game.

I just see a Simpsons game and an American Wrestling game and it looks like a dull year if they're highlights (they could be amazing I dunno). Not to mention this was Devil May Cry 2 year. . Doesn't help that once I see a user call D00M III a "masterpiece" I believe the bar is being set pretty low for the 2000's generation of gaming.

lol. Yeah, those wouldn't be near my list either. And calling DOOM 3 a masterpiece is just weird. I happen to like the game myself, but come on.

@RSM-HQ said:

Dawn of Sorrow is a decent sequel with forced/ clunky touch screen mechanics. Very unnecessary and would have been better without Nintendo's push. Touch screen on the DS can be fun, this wasn't the game for it. Luckily the other two CV DS games didn't suffer this fate nearly as bad. If we ever get a collection of this trilogy I'm curious how they'll handle it.

Actually forgot it had the touch screen mechanics. Was not a fan of those either, but didn't think they were too bad or too frequent. But doing them wasn't fun, quickly letting go of your buttons to fumble with the screen was clunky and annoying, and it would definitely be better without it. Nintendo's gonna Nintendo..

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

DOOM 3 a masterpiece lmao the game is dull as dishwater.

The gameplay is so generic and bad the guns sound like toys.😂

Loading Video...

GNS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#12 GNS
Member since 2015 • 923 Posts

From IMDB list of the games that came out then (because, I as hell do not remember when most of them came out) [in bold games that I really liked and remember till this day]:

KOTOR; Max Payne 2; The Simpsons Hit & Run; Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time; Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy; Buffy the Vampire Slayer Chaos Bleeds; Need for Speed Underground; Freelancer; Beyond Good and Evil; Lara Croft Tomb Raider The Angel of Darkness; NHL 2004; Broken Sword The Sleeping Dragon; Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone; Rainbow Six 3 Raven Shield; NBA Live 2004; LineAge II; SimCity 4; Dungeon Siege Legends of Arana

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15977 Posts

Rise of F*cking Nations. Incredible RTS.

2003 was a great year for GBA as well. We get Golden Sun TLA, the best Fire Emblem and FFTA.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8783 Posts

Dawn of Sorrow. Awesome soundtrack. Listening right now.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RSM-HQ

@Litchie: I have a lot of negatives regarding D00M III, and argued with a few users years ago over the game itself, and they gladly died on a hill telling me how wrong I am.

I probably came across as mean spirited as would call D00M III a "glorified tech demo", which is grossly exaggerated. Namely because tech demos end in an hour or less, D00M III is at least a 10 hour game.

DIII is a pretty game which I'm sure wins some people over, namely for the time, the lighting and shadow effects in the game for the early 2000's are second to none, that I will give praise. My P.C. struggled to run it with its three CDs needed to run the game.

However even that wears thin as you'll be spending majority the game looking at the same cargo shelter c&p environments, that are as interesting as looking at wet paint. Pretty texture quality will grow dull as you are exposed to the same stuff over and over again with very few shake-ups.

All that could be fine if the level design was as solid as previous entries. . nope! Biggest sin is its level design, sound design (guns sound like a pea-shooter), and overall encounters are pretty. . pitiful. Shooting is fun but the level design absolutely cripples shoot-out encounters.

Once you've seen an Imp teleport to that noticeable crack in the tunnel you'll be seeing that 1,000 more times. It's bad enemy placement that makes me think it was handled by an intern.

So just for context this is a map from Ultimate D00M_

Keep in mind I really like D00M, it's setting, art style. D00M III for me is not the proper third D00M. D00M 64 is and has aged far better. Well, I didn't like D00M III the year it released on P.C. so I don't think it aged well at all.

And I do apologies to those that look back at D00M III with nostalgic love, as noted it was a pretty game. It's just not a good game, let alone a good FPS. Age didn't hurt D00M III, it is flawed by design.

@warmblur said:

^ Preach! At times I feel alone seeing D00M III for what it is, seems this forum has a lot of supporters for the game that I don't see elsewhere.

I got into D00M just as screenshots started leaking for this third entry. I had a new powerful P.C. and I was playing a lot of shooters.

The hype was real and I chewed up every D00M game, loving them all (I emu'd 64). Then D00M III can out and I bought it on release, the game starts as a walking simulator (I seem to notice people complain about this in the forum) and then when you get shooting the level design doesn't work. It's too linear for a FPS, older D00M games worked because the level design allowed options and had wide spaces, designers have even noted FP struggles in tight spaces by design.

D00M III has the same level design issues of Callisto Protocol; in fact Callisto Protocol & D00M III have a lot in common. Difference is CP is third person so you can at least gauge your surroundings.

So to conclude, I don't mind if people like D00M III, but I'm certainly not going to agree it's a masterpiece logically. Heck I think many points made argue that it can barely be called a good game.

D00M III is in the same tier of game as Manhunt. At best it can be viewed as a guilty pleasure. It's just too flawed to be anything else when viewed at rationally.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RSM-HQ
@Litchie said:

didn't think they were too bad or too frequent.

Issue is the magic seals, it was for every boss, if you failed (keep in mind it's timed and must be done in a certain order) the boss would reset and you're back to square-one.

Wasn't well implemented. It's a major reason the game gets flacked_

Just a dumb feature honestly pushed to advertise what DS could do differently from the PSP.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ghosts4ever

@warmblur said:

Loading Video...

Doom 3 was dark and gritty masterpiece. it was also graphics king before Crysis.

only prob was it was slow paced instead of fast paced shooter. but it was excellent horror title.

Doom and Doom Eternal are definitely better as they are more akin to fast paced old school but Doom 3 was also masterpiece.

PCGamerLaszlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PCGamerLaszlo
Member since 2023 • 515 Posts

-Star Wars Knights of the old Republic

-Grand Theft Auto Vice City

-Warcraft 3 The Frozen Throne

-Elder Scrolls 3 Morrowind (my favorite that year)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@pcgamerlaszlo said:

-Star Wars Knights of the old Republic

-Grand Theft Auto Vice City

-Warcraft 3 The Frozen Throne

-Elder Scrolls 3 Morrowind (my favorite that year)

Great choice Vice City is a classic.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RSM-HQ

Feel like a buzz-killington_

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind came out in 2002. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City is also recorded as the prior year.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
@RSM-HQ said:

Feel like a buzz-killington_

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind came out in 2002. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City is also recorded as the prior year.

He could be referring to the PC version of Vice City that came out in 2003 I was thinking of adding Vice too but I usually go by original release date.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RSM-HQ

@warmblur: Very puzzling when ports & rereleases come into it, lol.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23719 Posts

Damn. 2004/2005 are among my favorite back to back years in gaming, some of my all time favs, games I still have a great time playing. In some cases, games that still rival or exceed a lot of their counterparts since.

2003 tho? Like the calm before the storm lol.

Got tons of play out of Double Dash, THUG1, F-Zero. Good times with Viewtiful Joe, KotoR, Fatal Frame 2, Wind Waker, Splinter Cell, Morrowind (Xbox lul), VF4:E. Probably forgetting others.

Won't deny I had a good time, just not really a banger year for me. Light on standout games. Not much in the way of games I still enjoy playing.

Edit: Skimming over responses, yeah some of my picks probably aren't even the correct year lol. Almost made the mistake of adding SCII as well (tons of hrs on that one).

PCGamerLaszlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 PCGamerLaszlo
Member since 2023 • 515 Posts

@RSM-HQ: I was referring to the GOTY Morrowind that had Tribunal and Bloodmoon expansions in it.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RSM-HQ

@pcgamerlaszlo: Morrowind had good expansions.

Only Bloodmoon actually released in 2003, Tribunal was late 2002. Solstheim was an entire island added into the game from Bloodmoon, and popular enough to be revisited for Skyrim in an expansion years later. So that in on itself is a lot of good content from 2003. Admittedly didn't finish Morrowind or its expansions till much later with the Overhaul mod. Couldn't deal with the dice/ miss combat system.

Not sure if you know of the project but worth keeping an eye on a game in development called The Wayward Realms. Basically a love letter to older Elder Scroll games.

@ConanTheStonersaid: Edit: Skimming over responses, yeah some of my picks probably aren't even the correct year lol. Almost made the mistake of adding SCII as well (tons of hrs on that one).

If anything I'm the problem here. Taking release dates way too seriously and ruining everyone's lists, I look like a whiny smartass, lol.

Just can't bring myself to accept complete collections, and ports as different years to a games release, when a game has had its official debut already. It's all up for interpretation.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23719 Posts

@RSM-HQ:

It's all good, I'm usually the same. Especially if we're talking home system ports and minimal effort remasters. Rather cite the actual factual initial release.

Ports from arcade, can be a little sketchy, especially in recent years. Majority not even having the option for access, sometimes for a long while. Extreme example, but Tekken 7. Hard to believe this was an early 2015 game. Will always look to the arcade as an extended beta, with mid 2017 being the release lol. Factual, hell no, but that's when much of the world could finally get their hands on it.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By RSM-HQ

@ConanTheStoner: Some arcade games can feel like we're testing and helping with the balancing for sure, Street Fighter IV was a very different game when it launched on arcades.

Was pretty addicted to T6 in the arcades, Bloodline Rebellion was my go-to for a very longtime. And way before the console ports saw release. Outside the balancing updates (which cabinets for T6 & SFIV received) the console edition T6 was namely the Tekken Force mode and a few other minor added features.

Never played Soul Calibur II in the arcade on release (only years later) but looks like the extras are namely the two console exclusive characters (Necrid was on every platform) and a quest mode for single-player. Standard 1-v-1 was largely the same as the arcade experience. I state that loosely because understandably any fan of the genre knows balancing Fighting games is complex, happens fairly often from release arcade version to console release, it's no simple task managing all the collected research & alter character damage, inputs, i-frames, hitboxes, etc. Just the thought hurts my head. .

Long ramble short, I agree and see your point of view. But when do we decide when a game releases? when the developer brings it out officially, or when the game is complete. . I personally go with the former yet can understand why people wait for the latter, I just hope no-one is waiting on games such as Anthem.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@girlusocrazy said:
@warmblur said:

Loading Video...

It works in vr, it's like the game was made for it

Doesn't make it a better game though.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22406 Posts

Great time for gaming for me, with Gamecube & Xbox in full swing...

• Zelda Wind Waker (GC)
  • Simpsons Hit & Run (GC)
  • Star Wars KOTOR (Xbox)
  • Project Gotham Racing 2 (Xbox)
  • Mario Kart: Double Dash (GC)

...probably forgetting some though.

templecow90999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers