What are the reasons that make you re-play games that you've already beaten?

#1 Edited by Worlds_Apart (56 posts) -

The only game I've beaten twice is Max Payne 2. I did this because I beat part 2 before I played the original. When I eventually got around to finishing part 1, I completed MP 2 again just to see how the stories linked. The next game I'm thinking about completing again is Shenmue 1 and 2. The reason is that I don't remember anything about the games and with part 3 coming out there's no better reason not to re play these games. I really enjoyed them back then.

What about you guys? Sometimes I've seen people say they've completed a game's campaign twice, and I saw once someone said up to 50 times. WOW. This is why I must ask, apart from liking the game a lot, what are the reasons that make you re-play games that you've already beaten?

#2 Posted by TryIt (12791 posts) -

not sure you can even 'beat' games like 7 days to die

#3 Posted by ArchoNils2 (10223 posts) -

I rarely replay games without external reason. I do replay a game like Spyro if there is a remake or a game like Disgaea 1 if there is a remaster.

#4 Posted by Longsnout (137 posts) -

Because they're fun?

#5 Posted by robert_sparkes (1739 posts) -

If the games are fun and play well.

#6 Posted by Archangel3371 (26414 posts) -

- if there are multiple endings or paths/things to do in the game that I didn’t do previously

- if I want to take a trip down memory lane

- if it’s fun and I just want to do it all over again

- if I want to brush up on the story before playing a sequel

- if there are any Achievements/Trophies that I want to get

#7 Posted by GNS (216 posts) -

I rarely replay games, but the main reasons are:

1) the atmosphere;

2) gameplay;

3) story.

#8 Posted by RSM-HQ (7468 posts) -

Some games have timeless qualities from a game design point-of-view. And even when games have endings, they're not solely focused on reaching that end goal for enjoyment.

#9 Posted by warmblur (1094 posts) -

I'm one of those people that replay games alot here's why.

• Atmosphere a game with great atmosphere is excellent escapism and is very enjoyable.
  • Nostalgia I'm extremely nostalgic person it's fun to go back and think of when times weren't so crazy.
  • Gameplay this is the strongest reason example F.E.A.R. is my fav FPS of all time for me nothing has topped it's exciting firefights.
  • Playing it in VR this is another reason to go back I was able complete some old games in VR using a third party driver it gives old games a whole new feel there's nothing quite like playing your old favorites in VR.

#10 Posted by Starshine_M2A2 (5133 posts) -

Sequels. If a game gets one a few years after the original, I sometimes like to play them in order. Mass Effect for example.

#11 Posted by heljar75 (75 posts) -

I replay games all the time. It's mostly because I enjoy the gameplay and story and want to experience it again. I've lost track of how many times I've played the Batman Arkham series. It's a great series I return to often. I can't explain why I would rewatch tv-series or movies, but I do that a lot too.

Right now I'm replaying The Longest Jourrney and Dreamfall because I felt kinda lost playing Dreamfall Chapters and wanted to brush up on the story.

#12 Posted by Mahonian (4 posts) -

The games I replay are because of the story. I can't count how many times I replayed Syphon Filter 3 and Dino Crisis 2. The gameplay is fun but stories are what me keep coming back for more.

#13 Edited by nepu7supastar7 (4697 posts) -

@worlds_apart:

The best action adventure and rpg games are always worth replaying. To me, it's like reliving the best moments ever with 100% accuracy. If it has a great story or awesome gameplay then it's worth a replay. I do that with almost every game I have. And it's an even bigger bonus if the game has multiple endings.

#14 Edited by mrbojangles25 (42332 posts) -

@Longsnout said:

Because they're fun?

That is correct.

Or, in the case of the recent Hitman 2 for example, there is more to do, more to explore, more ways to beat the game. I think I "beat" Hitman 2 in about two sittings, but here I am 20 hours later still playing it, experiencing fresh yet familiar content.

#15 Posted by Renegade_Fury (20252 posts) -

Because they're fun, and that's all there is really to it. I've replayed most of my favorite games countless times.

#16 Posted by uninspiredcup (29148 posts) -

@Renegade_Fury said:

Because they're fun, and that's all there is really to it. I've replayed most of my favorite games countless times.

Pretty much this.

#17 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (17920 posts) -

Because I enjoy them so much, and I love the nostalgia of playing them again.

I replay games like Half-Life 2, Bioshock, Halo 1-4, Mass Effect trilogy once a year.

#18 Posted by Speeny (593 posts) -

I guess because I enjoyed the game and want to generally just relive the experience again. Or maybe because I missed some kind of collectible that I can only retrieve if I play through again.

There’ve been times though when my second playthrough wasn’t as enjoyable as the first time though.

#19 Posted by Clefdefa (645 posts) -

I find less and less reason to replay games because of trophies/acheivements and just the fact that they are made in a way that push you away once you are done with it ...

Anyway I played more than 10 times Final Fantasy VII

Maybe an 100 times Mega Man 2, 3, 4, X. I also played a few times already Mega Man 10 and 11.

I replayed Final Fantasy Tactics a few times too. It was an amazing game.

#20 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (24516 posts) -

I replay over and over STALKER: Call of Pripyat because no two playthroughs have been exactly the same. One playthrough may have just 3 top-dog Chimera mutants in the whole game while another playthrough will have one every other day with as many as 15-20 during the whole game.

Then the immersion is second to none. Nights are dark and dangerous. Firefights are intense. The world is small. But, I love to keep wandering in it.

#21 Posted by SoNin360 (6936 posts) -

Usually only if there's something I missed the first time around, like if the game has choices. I might also play again but on a higher difficulty for trophies or whatever. So I typically need things like that to make it feel like it's worth my time. Of course, there are a few exceptions like the Fallout games where I start a new game just for the hell of it and without any real goal other than playing the game again.

#22 Posted by Longsnout (137 posts) -
@mrbojangles25 said:
@Longsnout said:

Because they're fun?

That is correct.

Or, in the case of the recent Hitman 2 for example, there is more to do, more to explore, more ways to beat the game. I think I "beat" Hitman 2 in about two sittings, but here I am 20 hours later still playing it, experiencing fresh yet familiar content.

Righto. At the end of the day if the game isn't fun then no amount of fabricated incentives (trophies) are gonna make me wanna revisit it.

#23 Posted by heljar75 (75 posts) -

@clefdefa said:

I find less and less reason to replay games because of trophies/acheivements and just the fact that they are made in a way that push you away once you are done with it ...

Anyway I played more than 10 times Final Fantasy VII

Maybe an 100 times Mega Man 2, 3, 4, X. I also played a few times already Mega Man 10 and 11.

I replayed Final Fantasy Tactics a few times too. It was an amazing game.

Learn to ignore the Trophies/Achievements. Games are much more fun that way. When I realised I can't get all trophies because I can't always finish games on hard and many Trophies/Achievements are connected to multiplayer I never play, I realised I can never get all Trophies/Achievements anyway so why bother. I think I've even turned of notification for Trophies. I enjoy the games much more now.

#24 Posted by Cravenraptor (54 posts) -

@warmblur: Ya F.E.A.R. is an amazing game. I re-play it very often. I especially like the part when you land on the roof of Armacham head quarters and fight your way through the building. The Close Quarter Combat in this game is so awesome. Also graphics are still pretty good. But most of the time the reason I replay especially F.E.AR. is the "memory lane".

#25 Edited by warmblur (1094 posts) -

@Cravenraptor said:

@warmblur: Ya F.E.A.R. is an amazing game. I re-play it very often. I especially like the part when you land on the roof of Armacham head quarters and fight your way through the building. The Close Quarter Combat in this game is so awesome. Also graphics are still pretty good. But most of the time the reason I replay especially F.E.AR. is the "memory lane".

I love that part in the game people usually hate the office levels for me it's my favorite location of the game F.E.A.R.'s gameplay is like a fine wine it just gets better as it ages.

#26 Posted by Zeggelaar (139 posts) -

If a game has an excellent story I may want to experience the story again, Starcraft. If the game play is great, Sleeping Dogs.

#27 Posted by JSprunk (301 posts) -

I've probably only replayed maybe 5 games in my entire life just for the fun of it.

All others, which are very few as well, I replay to get 100% of the achievements.

#28 Posted by Cravenraptor (54 posts) -

@warmblur : Ya I especially like the scary stuff that takes place in the office building. Reminds a bit of Poltergeist 3... I added a video where you can see me play a favorite part of the game (nope no let´s play shit!) Just a short clip :) It´s the scene where the elevator falls down as you climb through the elevator shafts. It scared the frog outta me when I first came to that point of the game!

Loading Video...

regards

#29 Posted by warmblur (1094 posts) -

@Cravenraptor said:

@warmblur : Ya I especially like the scary stuff that takes place in the office building. Reminds a bit of Poltergeist 3... I added a video where you can see me play a favorite part of the game (nope no let´s play shit!) Just a short clip :) It´s the scene where the elevator falls down as you climb through the elevator shafts. It scared the frog outta me when I first came to that point of the game!

Loading Video...

regards

Nice man I never even thought about Poltergeist 3 I'll have to rewatch that movie. Nice video I love those sections of the game it has such a unique atmosphere even 13 years later. I don't think any FPS will ever top F.E.A.R. for me.

Avatar image for rockstargamer48
#30 Edited by Rockstargamer48 (12 posts) -

Mainly if and only if the story is decent, or RPG choices. That's why I'm replaying Red Dead 2

#31 Posted by Cravenraptor (54 posts) -

@warmblur: Ya true. The slo-mo is just too good. Although I love DOOM3 too because but the game und gunplay in FEAR is just awesome. I have tried Battlefield and COD too but even if these games are newer and look fantastic I never had so much fun with it like I have with F.E.A.R.

What do you think about F.E.A.R.2? IT is a decent sequel to me but not better than the first game. And F3AR? That´s just a bullshit game. Somehow every game that has a "Favela" level is not good - imho. This second level after you leave the prison in F3AR is just so terrible this level is the reason I only played it once. And it was a pain to finish it.

Same shit like Aliens Colonial Marines. OMG!

#32 Posted by sakaiXx (4176 posts) -

I hate the game. The controls for melee is terrible in my opinion.

#33 Posted by Johndmgs (312 posts) -

@Archangel3371 said:

- if there are multiple endings or paths/things to do in the game that I didn’t do previously

- if I want to take a trip down memory lane

- if it’s fun and I just want to do it all over again

- if I want to brush up on the story before playing a sequel

- if there are any Achievements/Trophies that I want to get

This more or less

#34 Edited by warmblur (1094 posts) -

@Cravenraptor said:

@warmblur: Ya true. The slo-mo is just too good. Although I love DOOM3 too because but the game und gunplay in FEAR is just awesome. I have tried Battlefield and COD too but even if these games are newer and look fantastic I never had so much fun with it like I have with F.E.A.R.

What do you think about F.E.A.R.2? IT is a decent sequel to me but not better than the first game. And F3AR? That´s just a bullshit game. Somehow every game that has a "Favela" level is not good - imho. This second level after you leave the prison in F3AR is just so terrible this level is the reason I only played it once. And it was a pain to finish it.

I really hate F.E.A.R. 2 it's a major downgrade from the first game from weapon sounds to physics. They gimped melee attacks and the look of the game looks cartoonish it's weird and out of place. I also hate that they got rid of lean. F.E.A.R. 2 also has the worst HUD I've seen in a game and they ruined slow mo with that silly glowing enemy effect. As for F3AR I never even bothered with it. The original F.E.A.R. will always be the goat while the sequels are a disgrace to how amazing the first game was and still is.

#35 Edited by Cravenraptor (54 posts) -

@warmblur said:
@Cravenraptor said:

I really hate F.E.A.R. 2 it's a major downgrade from the first game from weapon sounds to physics. They gimped melee attacks and the look of the game looks cartoonish it's weird and out of place. I also hate that they got rid of lean. F.E.A.R. 2 also has the worst HUD I've seen in a game and they ruined slow mo with that silly glowing enemy effect. As for F3AR I never even bothered with it. The original F.E.A.R. will always be the goat while the sequels are a disgrace to how amazing the first game was and still is.

Regarding this enemy glow effect I agree with you. Well I like the graphics to be honest. But the too long "Hospital level" this replica factory and the levels through the city (including the mech sequences) are just silly and stupid imho. OK I enjoyed the scene where the aircraft flys over your head and crashes in the city. They copied it from Extraction Point where also a military airplane crashes down. The "Elementary School" however scared me to death! Lol