what are the rare ps2 games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

snacksattack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 snacksattack
Member since 2005 • 209 Posts

Hey, I was at the ebgames website and saw that they were selling marvel vs capcom 2 for seventy bucks! and i was like holy ****. So that made me curious, what are the other rare ps2 games. The only one I could think of was Disgaea 1, but please tell me more.

KGB32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 KGB32
Member since 2007 • 4279 Posts
i have 2 rare titles, Zone of the Enders the 2nd Runner and Rez, both amazing games
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#3 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts

i have 2 rare titles, Zone of the Enders the 2nd Runner and Rez, both amazing gamesKGB32

I wouldn't call ZoE a "rare" game, considering the fact that it sold nearly a million copies just because of the packed in mgs2 demo.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts

A lot of games that are said to be rare are not in fact rare.

With that said, I challenge you to find a copy of Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne for a decent price. Go ahead. Try.

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts

You'd be surprised at how many people think that GTA: San Andreas (the ones that came out before they were recalled) is a rare game. People are pretty stupid haha.

zeppelin_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 zeppelin_64
Member since 2006 • 3924 Posts
Fatal Frame is the only slightly rare game I own.
KGB32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 KGB32
Member since 2007 • 4279 Posts

[QUOTE="KGB32"]i have 2 rare titles, Zone of the Enders the 2nd Runner and Rez, both amazing gamesUT_Wrestler

I wouldn't call ZoE a "rare" game, considering the fact that it sold nearly a million copies just because of the packed in mgs2 demo.

im not sayin the original, but the sequel is hard to get nowadays

Godofnerdyness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Godofnerdyness
Member since 2007 • 3248 Posts

Fatal Frame is the only slightly rare game I own.zeppelin_64

You also need to play it more! *Cough* *Cough*

Uh, moving on, I think Killer 7 is a rare game(There is a gamecube version however).

--Quadkillz--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 --Quadkillz--
Member since 2007 • 460 Posts
Age of empires 2 for ps2
Avatar image for YourChaosIsntMe
YourChaosIsntMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 YourChaosIsntMe
Member since 2007 • 1228 Posts

[QUOTE="zeppelin_64"]Fatal Frame is the only slightly rare game I own.Godofnerdyness

Uh, moving on, I think Killer 7 is a rare game(There is a gamecube version however).

They're selling unopened copies of Killer 7 at my local EB for 7.99. Sounds pretty rare to me. I recently compiled a list of rare or soon to be rare PS2 titles, but I can't be bothered to find or recompile it. Numerous titles by Atlus, NIS, and Square Enix either currently or will eventually be included in the "rare" or "overpriced on the grey market" file. There are other titles. Fatal Frame, Rez, Space Channel 5, ICO (though you can buy it cheap if you can find it, I think), etc. Persona 3's inclusion was developing rapidly, but that seems to be a non-issue if our speculations about the timer on Atlus.com turn out to be true.

Godofnerdyness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Godofnerdyness
Member since 2007 • 3248 Posts
[QUOTE="Godofnerdyness"]

[QUOTE="zeppelin_64"]Fatal Frame is the only slightly rare game I own.YourChaosIsntMe

They're selling unopened copies of Killer 7 at my local EB for 7.99. Sounds pretty rare to me. I recently compiled a list of rare or soon to be rare PS2 titles, but I can't be bothered to find or recompile it. Numerous titles by Atlus, NIS, and Square Enix either currently or will eventually be included in the "rare" or "overpriced on the grey market" file. There are other titles. Fatal Frame, Rez, Space Channel 5, ICO (though you can buy it cheap if you can find it, I think), etc. Persona 3's inclusion was developing rapidly, but that seems to be a non-issue if our speculations about the timer on Atlus.com turn out to be true.

...Seriously?

Jesus Christ. Killer 7...Unopened.... For only 8 dollars?

They're ripping themselves off!

viewtiful26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 viewtiful26
Member since 2005 • 2842 Posts
I have Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, ZOE 1 and 2, and Robot Alchemic Drive.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I had a very difficult time finding a copy of ICO. I'm still looking for ZOE: The Second Runner.
FreshDimSum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FreshDimSum
Member since 2008 • 605 Posts
i'll give u 70 bucks rite now if any of you guys have snk vs capcom 2 for ps2. 70 bucks and my SOUL! that should be worth another 20 dollars.
Ash2X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#15 Ash2X
Member since 2005 • 3035 Posts

The PAL-Version of Hitman is pretty rare...and not only SMT:Nocturne,the PAL-Version (called SMT:Lucifer´s Call) is almost impossible to get.A fate of all ATLUS-Games.

Robot_Vampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 Robot_Vampire
Member since 2007 • 875 Posts
I remember a game called "The Bouncer." It came out near the PS2#s launch and I've only ever seen one copy of it in the shops and that was the copy that I bought. Rez is another rare game that springs to mind as well.
bugsonglass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bugsonglass
Member since 2004 • 5536 Posts

Wow i just realised i have rare games. yay. i have the second runner, and i have Lucifer's call. I also have Rez, Amplitute, Frequency, gitaroo man, disgaea hour of darkness and a few others considered rare by some.

These games are all being re-released either on xbox live, or PSN or on the psp or something so if people are clinging on to them thinking they'll always be valuable... get real, videogames are not an investment

garey017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

#18 garey017
Member since 2006 • 1725 Posts

I remember a game called "The Bouncer." It came out near the PS2#s launch and I've only ever seen one copy of it in the shops and that was the copy that I bought. Rez is another rare game that springs to mind as well.Robot_Vampire

I just bought the Bouncer. Pretty cheap too. I had never seen it before either, and it looked decent. Now maybe when I'm done with it I can price gouge somebody by claiming the game is rare!!!

garey017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

#19 garey017
Member since 2006 • 1725 Posts

These games are all being re-released either on xbox live, or PSN or on the psp or something so if people are clinging on to them thinking they'll always be valuable... get real, videogames are not an investment bugsonglass

I agree, old technology is old technology. Personally, I think even if there is only one Superman 64 cartridge on the face of the earth, it's still crap and worth no more than 2 cents.

FoodThing00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 FoodThing00
Member since 2006 • 695 Posts

With that said, I challenge you to find a copy of Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne for a decent price. Go ahead. Try.

LordAndrew

Found one at a Blockbuster for 12.99. I win =)

Other than that...Romance of the three kingdoms 8?
nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
Rarity doesn't always justify a high price. Over here, Frequency and Rez were pretty hard to find, but when I finally managed to track down a copy of each game, I didn't have to pay more than 60 euros total. And ICO was rare by mistake, methinks.
Jagazaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jagazaar
Member since 2007 • 1023 Posts

LordAndrew

Got it for $50 AU about a year and a half ago. The boxart & name isn't as good as the US version though. 'Lucifer's Call' sounds generic. :(

Maken Shao: Demon Sword (port of a SMT off-shoot for the Dreamcast. Think an early, clunky Devil May Cry-like combat system) is probably my rarest game followed by Rez, though I also have Gitaroo Man (pre-owned, but not complaining), Disgaea, and Amplitude (got for $15 AU new about 4 months back).

Really want ICO and ZOE 2 though.

DivineSword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DivineSword  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 15840 Posts

I haven't seen Ico in any store yet, or maybe I am not looking in the right place. As for rarity it just depends on where you live, because some games that might seem rare to you might be easy for others to find.

viewtiful26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 viewtiful26
Member since 2005 • 2842 Posts

i'll give u 70 bucks rite now if any of you guys have snk vs capcom 2 for ps2. 70 bucks and my SOUL! that should be worth another 20 dollars.FreshDimSum

My brother got it when it first came out. I still have it actully.

summer_star17x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 summer_star17x
Member since 2007 • 2683 Posts

You'd be surprised at how many people think that GTA: San Andreas (the ones that came out before they were recalled) is a rare game. People are pretty stupid haha.

UT_Wrestler

what do the ones look like that were recalled?

TallicaFan2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TallicaFan2005
Member since 2005 • 4126 Posts
RPG Maker is pretty rare I think...I bought it once (took awhile to find) and found it so insanely confusing and time consuming that I couldn't stand it.. I used RPG Maker for PC and it was pretty easy, so I figured a 3D version would be sweet. Anyway I think I paid $70 for it on eBay (and then $30 for a keyboard)...I sold it to EBgames for something like $20 because I really wanted another game and didn't feel like waiting.. LOL
TallicaFan2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TallicaFan2005
Member since 2005 • 4126 Posts
[QUOTE="UT_Wrestler"]

summer_star17x

what do the ones look like that were recalled?

The same as the newer ones but with an AO sticker (if you bought it after Hot Coffee)....I think the newer ones have some bar across the top or something....I have the AO version for Xbox.

FreshDimSum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 FreshDimSum
Member since 2008 • 605 Posts
not really a ps2 game but rival schools i by far another rare title. Akira Kazama and Kyosuke combo FTW!
gurjiwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 gurjiwan
Member since 2005 • 392 Posts
I have Rez, Gitaroo Man, Fatal Frame, Fatal Frame 2: Crimson Butterfly(XBOX), Zone of the Enders, Deus Ex, and Ico. Rez and Gitaroo Man are actually unopened. Cant find Marvel vs. Capcom or SMT: Nocturne though ive been looking everywhere.
Ash2X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ash2X

Ico was pressed again and not that hard to get...well I didn´t try,I think the game was boring.

Try to get Border-Down (there was a re-press which is rare too) or the ULTIMATE GOAL:The Darkstalkers-Part fot the DC!Only limited to 500 GDs....well since these are no PS2 games,I mention Space Channel 5 1&2...I´m searching them for a loooong time now...

Flaming_Spoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Flaming_Spoon
Member since 2008 • 289 Posts
Grandia 1, 2, and 3
zh666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 165

#32 zh666
Member since 2005 • 5068 Posts
Ico was the first PS2 game I got, and i think I paid $5 for it.. haha...
Mingelo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Mingelo
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Suikoden 2 is pretty rare, but I think that's PSX
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#34 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

i'll give u 70 bucks rite now if any of you guys have snk vs capcom 2 for ps2. 70 bucks and my SOUL! that should be worth another 20 dollars.FreshDimSum

LOL :lol:

gameplaya4lyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 gameplaya4lyf
Member since 2005 • 584 Posts
How a bout Mr. Mosquito?
bawathegamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 bawathegamer
Member since 2007 • 1498 Posts

Age of empires 2 for ps2--Quadkillz--

whoa. people bought that for the ps2. i didnt know aoe ever came to the consoles.

bawathegamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 bawathegamer
Member since 2007 • 1498 Posts

The PAL-Version of Hitman is pretty rare...and not only SMT:Nocturne,the PAL-Version (called SMT:Lucifer´s Call) is almost impossible to get.A fate of all ATLUS-Games.

Ash2X

the pal version of hitman?? are you talking about the first one on pc called hitman:agent 47?? yeah they only sell the trilogy now :silent assassin,contracts and blood money. i own the first game(my friend hated it and gave it to me for free).even though the game had way too many problem no mid mission saves, techinical issues,i still like.

though i think i saw a copy at a mall the other day.new not used.

Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

YourChaosIsntMe

Space Channel 5 has been in the bargain bins at Circuit City for years. Scratch it from your otherwise solid list.

Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

I had a very difficult time finding a copy of ICO. I'm still looking for ZOE: The Second Runner.foxhound_fox

At one point Circuit City was clearing out new copies of ZOE2 for less than 8 dollars. I bought my copy when it first came out but I tried to nab some copies at that price but was unable to.

The game really is a bit of a masterpiece.

JDUB_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#40 JDUB_x
Member since 2003 • 2828 Posts
Nearly any Atlus RPGs, Nippon Ichi games, Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, Baulders Gate Dark Alliance 2, Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance(prior to the collections release)
Ash2X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Ash2X
[QUOTE="Ash2X"]

bawathegamer

the pal version of hitman?? are you talking about the first one on pc called hitman:agent 47?? yeah they only sell the trilogy now :silent assassin,contracts and blood money. i own the first game(my friend hated it and gave it to me for free).even though the game had way too many problem no mid mission saves, techinical issues,i still like.

though i think i saw a copy at a mall the other day.new not used.

Sorry,mixed it up with HEADHUNTER :x But now that you mention it...

four_of_clubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42 four_of_clubs
Member since 2005 • 4474 Posts

I own Suikoden III, which is considered fairly rare among other PS2 gamers...

...that and Final Fantasy VII Black Label (Obviously for PS1)

ninjavelmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#43 ninjavelmor
Member since 2004 • 1053 Posts
cvs 2, street fighter anni colloection, suikoden 3, parappa 2, guitaroo man, amplitude, growlanser generations (2,3) shadow hearts convenant, nas for ps1 i have all the final fanasies, except for anthongly, star ocean, legend of dragoon, alundr 1, and 2, dragon warrior(quest) 7 castlevania chronicles and Symphony of the night, jo jo's bizzare adventure, lunar.
im kindof a collector, so i try to buy hard to find things, want to keep getting my collectiong bigger. i bought final fantasy tactic (ps1 orginal, not GH,) star ocean (ps1) and legeand of dragoon (GH) off this guy at gamestop for $40, and he has more awesome stuff im gunna pick up soon, like vagrant story, rival school, brave fencer mushashi, and some others for really cheap, like $10-$5 per game.
hexy72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 hexy72
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Futurama is pretty rare, SMT: Nocturne and MVC 2 are rare as others have stated. The first Digital Devil Saga is rare, Fire Fighter FD 18 is pretty rare, Resident Evil 4 CE for ps2 with everything including Ada Wong laser cell and Brady mini strat guide is rare - I had to look around for it for a while, there is also a Sprint Car game (can't remember the exact title but I know its not the Road to Knoxville).

Other games worth mentioning:

REZ, Gitaroo Man, Disgaea, Klanoa 2 (not sure about the spelling), most NIS games, most Atlus games, ZoE 2: 2nd Runner, MGS 2 Subsistance and 3 Substance (although with the box set coming soon to PS2 these won't be as rare), Growlanser: Heritage CE.