What are the most overrated games you've played in your opinion?

Avatar image for drdessstruction
DrDeSSStruction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By DrDeSSStruction
Member since 2020 • 24 Posts

As for me that would be Kingdom Hearts 2, Final Fantasy VIII, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Final Fantasy IX, Darksiders 1, Batman Arkham City and Tales of Vesperia.

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 0

#2 Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

Most of Rockstars games I find really overrated with the exception of Vice City and San Andreas which are classic and probably should be fully remade in a modern game engine.

RDR series I can't stand, find it so tedious to play... I skipped the second game because it looked even slower than the first game which bored me so much I was barely able to finish it.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 9320 Posts

Never enjoyed the terminology "overrated" for gaming, it's typically a cop-out answer for people who don't play the games they (on a whim) tend to turn down, usually to favor something niche they enjoy. Because how dare another game be popular_

Now! I will call a game "bad", "poorly designed", "I'm not the demographic" usually with a follow-up explanation. Bioware games I've been pretty vocal how they're just not doing much well outside of presentation.

But when someone stated- Devil May Cry 5 sucks and the series is overrated 'blah, blah' following with examples not in the series. . It paints that kind of user nicely.

I recall someone on this board also calling Elite: Dangerous a action heavy game with too much shooting. . I wanted to die inside.

It's called Games Discussion, prefer substance and context over a lazy cop-out answer, that's what System-Wars is for.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 19845 Posts

There are definitely popular games that I couldn't get into or that simply do not appeal to me. Ocarina of Time is a great example. I didn't have an N64 at the time and maybe I would have enjoyed it then, but every time I tried playing that game I fell off of it pretty quickly. Big, open areas/world but too much directionless dithering. When I was a teen and didn't mind the idea of wasting my time playing a game and making no progress maybe I would have enjoyed this more.

I'd agree with Darksiders as a series. I tried the first one but found it to be a pretty average 3rd person action game. I never quite understood why that game was so well received by many.

DrDeSSStruction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DrDeSSStruction

@Byshop:

OOT is overrated but thats mainly due to how good it was back when it was released. its aged like milk.

like you i never understood the hype of darksiders 1. that was painfully mediocre and just rips off other games like zelda and devil may cry. brought nothing new to the table.

2 was a noticable step up and contrary to popular opinion 3 was a borderline masterpiece imo.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#6 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 5879 Posts

@drdessstruction:

Every Zelda game ever made.

Dark Souls 3

Bloodborne

Borderlands 2

Halo ODST

To name a few. There's probably more though.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nepu7supastar7

@drdessstruction:

Final Fantasy VII Remake mostly fed on the nostalgia the player would have. In a lot of ways, it put more of the original game into perspective. I'd almost go as far as to say that Final Fantasy VII the original is overrated. Almost. Seeing Midgar in full 3D made me realize how much I overhyped the setting.

*The Mako Reactors are just energy plants. *The city above the plate is just a city.

*The slums is just a shanty town.

*Shinra is just a big building, like the Sears Tower.

Everything looks almost exactly like you remember and at the same time -- looks so........normal. I felt like when you're a kid and you just discovered that Santa Claus was your dad this entire time. Grounded back to Earth. Still a great game though.

DrDeSSStruction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DrDeSSStruction

@nepu7supastar7:

i genuinely thought 7 was great. no bias either since i played and beat it back in 2017.

my main issue with the 7 remake is the pacing and linearity. sure the OG midgar was linear but that was only a quarter of the game.

the fact that is focused entirely on one section in te OG game fucks its pacing too and everything is bloated out more which makes the game feel very sluggish. too many cinematic gimmicks like shifting between rubble, pointleas filler sections, too many cutscenes, etc.

combat is best in the series though so at least it has that going for it

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By nepu7supastar7

@drdessstruction:

The pacing was fine. It only took as long as your willingness to be thorough. A huge chunk of it is optional.

DrDeSSStruction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DrDeSSStruction

@nepu7supastar7:

not for me.

im not talking about side quests at all. the pacing was bloated as ****.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 20097 Posts

@Yams1980 said:

Most of Rockstars games I find really overrated with the exception of Vice City and San Andreas which are classic and probably should be fully remade in a modern game engine.

Oh man, how awesome would that be!!!

Anyway, the most recent that comes to mind is Breath of the Wild... I tried many times to get into it, almost forcing myself to like it, but it just never clicked with me. I find it too big/empty, and pretty boring overall.

GTA V is another that comes to mind. Technically it's an impressive game, the world building is amazing. But I just found the campaign to be pretty underwhelming.

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By warmblur
Member since 2017 • 5268 Posts
  • Call of Duty 4
  • The Last of Us
  • Uncharted 4
  • Resident Evil 2002 remake
  • Bioshock
  • Mafia

I just want to clarify I don't hate any of these games except for COD4.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 9

#13 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 2485 Posts

I'm going to go ahead and say Chrono Trigger.

Though, the thing is, I can understand why people would like it. It just wasn't for me. So, I don't think it's overrated per say, it's just a game that I personally didn't find all that great from what I played.

It was the first example of playing a game that's highly regarded, and not being that amazed by it. Which, as I said, was a first for me. (I played games like FF7 & OoT way past their initial release dates and loved them so.) This came at me by surprise for sure. I also feel disappointed by the fact that I didn't like it but, everyone has different tastes.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#14  Edited By Willy105
Member since 2005 • 25338 Posts

Terraria

Only reason it was big was because Minecraft wasn't on Steam.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12545 Posts

Dark Souls series, they do got some unique features, theme and bosses but I think some clones surpassed them.

phbz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#16 phbz
Member since 2009 • 5836 Posts

Uncharted 4 is an easy pick for me.

Crazy_Chemist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Crazy_Chemist
Member since 2020 • 134 Posts

Any Sony first party game, there i said it. I enjoy the 3rd party titles much more. Everytime i got on the hype train for a Sony exclusive, once i started playing whichever it was, i was very underwhelmed.

The last of us

Uncharted

Horizons

I just didnt care for them. I got hyped, and then once playing them i was bored.

It was the same with killzone on the PS3 as well. Only it was the controlls that ruined that game for me.

Avatar image for Alexander2cents
Alexander2cents

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#18 Alexander2cents
Member since 2012 • 292 Posts

Grand theft Auto- This game gets so boring so quick and you tap X to run. That's dumb. The only style these games have is styling cars and music.

Uncharted-It's all cinematic but climbing and sequencing is stupid. As well as the character and his annoying witty humor.

Minecraft- Why do zoomers think this is so great? Yeah you can create stuff. But they will defend it tirelessly.

Dark Souls-Every neckbeard thinks its great because it's hard. It's not that hard. It's just more challenging than Assassins creed.

The Witcher 3- Bad interface, bad controls, poorly optimized (runs 40 but runs like it's at 24) sloooow.

The Last of Us-It's just a shooter game with a nice narrative and atmosphere. Reviewers are payed to say this game is the best. Only girls think this game is the best. They haven't played Ocarina of Time to say it's the best.

Zelda Ocarina of Time- On the basis it's not a 3D platformer. You must require that genre to be considered the best of all time. Sorry.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RSM-HQ
@Alexander2cents said:

Dark Souls-Every neckbeard thinks its great because it's hard. It's not that hard. It's just more challenging than Assassins creed.

. . .

Odd that you throw slander if someone thinks a game is "great". Mind touching on that notion somewhat?

I really like the DkS games myself and the difficulty is never a subject I bring up, or enjoy discussing in all the conversations I contribute for the series.

Think plenty of games are way harder than Dark Souls, yet well aware some of the fanbase use the series as a badge of honor to belittle gamers that don't. These vocal minorities are honestly doing the series a disservice by portraying the games as merits for elitism.

Very adaptable ARPG that respects player choices, build variety is amazing. With great visceral combat, level design is also usually amazing. The online systems as well are interesting and refreshing; no one was trying that kind of interactivity before Demon's Souls.

So yeah, I think they're great. But being hard isn't the reason. Very excited for Blue Points Demon's Souls Remake too.

Avatar image for Alexander2cents
Alexander2cents

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#20 Alexander2cents
Member since 2012 • 292 Posts

@RSM-HQ: Dark Souls 2 really killed it for me. The game lacked any love or atmosphere.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 VFighter  Online
Member since 2016 • 6918 Posts

These threads always turn into shit shows and this ones no different. Pick a popular or classic game and bash it, BAM, that's every "overrated" thread.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 8088 Posts

On serious note, probably the main Shin Megami Tensei. Idk the games weren't even hard most of the time the enemies just cheap using insta kill move or friendly AI just retarded.

I love SMT as much as the other Atlus fan but some people overrates the series due to how niche it is. Its not hard ffs, learn how to buff and debuff, take advantage of enemy weakness and obviously secret superboss will kick ur ass.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RSM-HQ
@Alexander2cents said:

@RSM-HQ: Dark Souls 2 really killed it for me. The game lacked any love or atmosphere.

Think you're in the majority not enjoying Dark Souls II. It's the D00M 3/ Resi 6 of DkS games. Many will call it the weakest entry, while a vocal minority will get angry about that.

Added and removed a lot of ideas for the sake of having a different identity. Got some enjoyment out of DkSII in a few areas, bosses, dual wielding, and Crown DLC did a remarkable job on improving a lot of the base-games shortcomings.

However DkSII is very rough. Lacked focus I would say.

BigCat2K20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#24 BigCat2K20
Member since 2004 • 385 Posts

God Of War (PS4), The Last Of Us (not part 2 for haven't play it yet), Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Ninja Gaiden 2 (Xbox 360), Gears Of War, RAGE, Mass Effect 2 (yeah, I said it) & Uncharted games.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 RSM-HQ
@BigCat2K20 said:

Ninja Gaiden 2 (Xbox 360)

While don't think it's overrated, certainly is worse than it could have been if Team Ninja cleaned it up and trimmed some of its recycled and underwhelming ideas.

Weapon versatility and decapitation is fun but that's the games sole saving grace. Level design, textures, and bosses are sloppy. And why we face Genshin four times. . is pitiful. Whole game feels like padding.

Compared to Ninja Gaiden 3/ Yaiba however; NG2 is pretty good. Overall Black and Sigma (first one) are the series best.

Lembu90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26 Lembu90
Member since 2015 • 657 Posts

Final Fantasy VII. Especially the 1997 classic. Yes, it is a good game but it don't deserve the "legendary" status.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 20097 Posts

@phbz said:

Uncharted 4 is an easy pick for me.

Yeah that's another one for me... I couldn't finish it. Was just really boring.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 46960 Posts

Destiny 1/2

Borderlands 1/2/3

Final Fantasy

Dragon Quest XI or XII or whatever one came out not too long ago

TLOU

God of War

Every CoD except for a couple of them

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 RSM-HQ
@mrbojangles25 said:

God of War

The original or God of War (IV)?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 46960 Posts

@RSM-HQ said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

God of War

God of War IV, whatever the recent one was.

I like the OG God of War series. I appreciate the new direction they went in, I just felt it was....OK. Not great. Just decent.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RSM-HQ

@mrbojangles25 said:
@RSM-HQ said:

God of War IV, whatever the recent one was.

I like the OG God of War series. I appreciate the new direction they went in, I just felt it was....OK. Not great. Just decent.

Agreed, coming after Ascension means that anything looks better by comparison. And Dad of Boy is still a very good game. The axe is great. However certainly not this amazing untouchable game many claimed it out to be, even for 2018 we just had a better game that year in my view.

What I would like them to pay attention to in the inevitable sequel-

• Over the shoulder camera was a nightmare for a slasher, indicators is not a fix, it's a compromise
  • Recycled and lack of enemy types
  • Puzzles are hit and timer, rinse and repeat. God of War has done better
  • Some of the weakest bosses, one is even a wait/ throw grenade battle
  • While it had its moments. Level design had a lot to be desired, and seemed heavily built for the RP walk n' talk, which was far too frequent

If any or all these complaints are seen to I think we'll have a much better game.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 2

#32 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 4433 Posts

1. Assassins Creed games.

2. The strong majority of Call of Duty games.

3. GTA games.

Those are my top 3.

one_superhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 one_superhero
Member since 2020 • 1 Posts

Yes, I agree that Assassins Creed a little overrated. Once I tried but I don't like it. It games for teenagers. I prefer old classic like poker, roulettes. Especially in a time of quarantine. When we must sit at home, everyone knows how hard it is. So there are many good services where we can improve our strategies and fortune. In my opinion, such classic games will never be overrated because of their rules and unexpected plot.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#34 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18810 Posts

The most recent example of this is after I got a PS4 bundled with a few games this past black friday. It came with TLOU, which I hadn't played because the PS4 was my first Sony console. Went into it with an open mind and found it mostly to be boring as hell, with generic writing and dull gameplay when it wasn't in combat. Seriously, the "environmental puzzles" that consisted of finding ladders and/ or pallets were the worst thing, and the story was about as basic a zombie apocalypse tale as they come.

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 617 Posts

Overwatch. I found the community to be really toxic.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 1126 Posts

Dragon Age. The one that came out at the beginning of the current generation. I read great reviews but it was the worst game I have ever purchased!

rdsnuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 rdsnuke
Member since 2007 • 155 Posts

Every Halo game

Witcher 3

Last of Us

God of War