What are considered to be some of the best video games that you personally don't like?

#1 Posted by Speeny (1769 posts) -

This can be from any era.

For me, I've never liked the Fallout games.

Super Smash Bros. is another series that I know many people love, but for years I've tried to get into it and realised to just give up because it's not in my tastes.

Believe it or not, GTA V. I'll admit that it does have it's great aspects, but for some reason I never finished it. It felt too repetitive. (The story at least.)

#2 Posted by Sevenizz (3904 posts) -

Anything Naughty Dog. I’ve tried Uncharted 1 and 2, the Last of Us, and a few of the Crash games - but I can’t get into any of them.

Fallout - yuck.

Zelda. Now I liked Windwalker, but I can’t stand any other game in the franchise and I’ve tried almost all of them.

2D fighters - all of you. Stop already. It was cute about a hundred years ago, but come on - the formula is tired.

Titanfall 2. Seriously, you didn’t play the first? Poor thing. It’s ten times better.

Early Final Fantasy. Nothing feels less videogamy than the turn based formula. I’ve heard they don’t make them that way anymore so progress is good I suppose.

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
#3 Edited by MclarenMaster18 (1558 posts) -

For me I'd say GTA and Mortal Kombat.

#4 Posted by judaspete (2985 posts) -

I keep trying love the God of War series, but it just doesn't click with me. Always feel like I should be playing Bayonetta or DMC instead. Might try the new one sometime though because it looks different.

Also couldn't get into GTA.

#5 Posted by Speeny (1769 posts) -

@judaspete: It's nice to see a few people mentioning GTA as well. Thought I was the only one. Lol

#6 Posted by SaltSlasher (1141 posts) -

As far as this gen.Spider-Man and Breath of the Wild are main ones.

Maybe GTA Online is great, but GTAV the game was horrible experience, if it wasn't for all the stuff to do that isn't campaign, I'd name it, but I had fun just screwing around for 2 years before ever finishing.

#7 Posted by goodzorr (504 posts) -

Final Fantasy, Fallout, Shadow of the Colussus, DMC, anything Mario except Super Marios Bros 2 on the Gameboy, Sonic.

#8 Posted by Speeny (1769 posts) -

@goodzorr: I'm not a huge Sonic fan either tbh. I enjoyed Unleashed and Sonic Adventure 2 though.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
#9 Edited by Black_Knight_00 (21549 posts) -

People really seem to like Nioh and I thought it was absolute drudgery. It looks like a souls game, but with its looter game structure, its randomized pickups that make exploration pointless and the goddamn bloated inventory you have to spend hours micromanaging, I felt more like I was playing Diablo with a camera hack.

Another one I caught flak for is Horizon Zero Dawn, once again plagued by a high maintenance inventory that needs more attention than it should, boring story and characters, a cool combat system ruined by its MMO-style stat-based number crunching and completely pointless exploration since everything of value is marked on the map. Oh and refilling your health pouch with randomly respawning plants has to be the most boring thing since cookie clicker.

I'll close with Shadow of the Colossus, which to me is the poster child of style over substance. Sure it's atmospheric, but it's a huge empty world that absolutely reeks of "we didn't have enough time to make a Zelda game, so we cut all content and marketed emptiness as a feature". The colossi look impressive but aren't all that fun to fight, especially once the climbing gimmick has lost its initial luster, and the final battle has to be in the top 5 worst bosses I have ever seen in a game.

#10 Edited by warmblur (2520 posts) -

Call of Duty 4 I find the gameplay shallow I never really understood the love for that game.

Halo series Everything about it just screams generic.

Gears of war Same as what I said about Halo.

Side scrollers in general they do nothing for me I enjoyed them when I was a kid but I have no desire to go back.

#11 Edited by Clefdefa (745 posts) -

Halo

The Last of Us

Uncharted

God Of war (aka Daddy Of War)

Fallout

Elder Schroll

The Witcher III

GTA

#12 Posted by Worlds_Apart (184 posts) -

I tried the Metroid game on the Gamecube and I just couldn't get into it.

#13 Edited by xantufrog (11513 posts) -

Definitely GTA. I've tried over and over to get into them, but once the initial fun from sandboxing around wears off I can't do it.

Also, God of War games. Can't find enjoyment in that combat at all

#14 Posted by xantufrog (11513 posts) -

@Black_Knight_00: you're entitled to your opinion of course, but what on earth are you referring to here:

"cool combat system ruined by its MMO-style stat-based number crunching"

#15 Edited by RSM-HQ (8421 posts) -

OP I can sympathize with Fallout and Grand Theft Auto. While they've clearly got openworld design to a highly praised level. They're just not very mechanically satisfying or outstanding in the gameplay department. Much like The Witcher III, I've just come to accept some of these highly praised games are jack of all trades, master of none. It's clearly what a large audience wants from a game but prefer my games having a focus or particular area of depth.

So on that note_ most openworld games, simulators, and well. . . Any game that doesn't really want to be a game/ aka games with identity issues

The list would be too long so I think that's the best way to sum it up. Though a clear one is anything done by Bioware, which I suppose is a hybrid of the three above. I've played both modern 'hits' and the highly praised Dragon Age: Origin. I have to assume they've always been 'meh' but got a pass for the storytelling elements.

#16 Posted by sakaiXx (5680 posts) -

Anything related to Mario

Anything related to CoD

Anything related to Rockstar

#17 Posted by Gamerno6666 (6801 posts) -

Chrono Cross - Just why? Urgh. This game didn't need to exist. Almost even ruined the first game for me.

Bethesda fallout and elder scrolls games - I hate floaty combat.

FF7 - One of the most overrated games I've ever played.

Also I don't think the uncharted series is a must play franchise as some Sony fans seems to think so.

#18 Edited by GNS (321 posts) -

Easily, any FPS. But, overall, I'd say Arkham Knight? I know it has mixed reviews, but... I just did not like it. The same with AC: Origins (did not even bother to go to the middle of the game). And, probably Skyrim. I just don't find the appeal of it.

#19 Edited by Valgaav_219 (2434 posts) -

- GTA

- Mortal Kombat

- Fallout (Only played 4 so that may be an unfair opinion)

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
#20 Edited by Black_Knight_00 (21549 posts) -

@xantufrog said:

@Black_Knight_00: you're entitled to your opinion of course, but what on earth are you referring to here:

"cool combat system ruined by its MMO-style stat-based number crunching"

I said MMO but I could have said Destiny or The Division. The damage of your attacks is heavily inluenced by the elemental gems you slot into the weapons and can be a real pain with the wrong gems. The final boss especially was a real problem: my DPS against it was low and the fight is on a strict time limit to boot. The game would have been far better had they limited themselves to using the right arrow on the right body part, which was already plenty enough depth. Instead they went the stat-based route and I think the game suffers greatly for it.

It's very frustrating to do low damage against an enemy and be forced to waste a ton of arrows to bring it down, especially since some of them are crafted with rare materials.

I get that people like it that way, but this is a thread about games most people like and one doesn't, so.

#21 Edited by uninspiredcup (33664 posts) -

Have to go with Super Metroid, praised for it's day, playing it now, didn't really get a zinger.

#22 Posted by HEATHEN75 (722 posts) -

Mario games (except Mario Kart)

Halo

Gears of War

God of War

Sonic Games

Smash Brothers

The Witcher

DMC

Bayonetta

Resident Evil (past #2)

#23 Edited by Macutchi (6792 posts) -

we've done well to hit 22 posts and no-one say half life 2. future posters - don't be that guy. as you were

#24 Posted by omegaMaster (1284 posts) -

Fallout - Fallout 4 is the first game I played and I did not like it. It was boring, dull and don't see the appeal whatsoever. I sold the game within 3 months. Got my moneys worth haha!

#25 Posted by Speeny (1769 posts) -

@omegamaster: Yeah I tried Fallout 4 at my cousins place. I played the game for like 15 minutes and didn't know what the heck to do. It's something I wouldn't invest time into that's for sure.

#26 Edited by Raining51 (1124 posts) -

@Sevenizz said:

Anything Naughty Dog. I’ve tried Uncharted 1 and 2, the Last of Us, and a few of the Crash games - but I can’t get into any of them.

Fallout - yuck.

Zelda. Now I liked Windwalker, but I can’t stand any other game in the franchise and I’ve tried almost all of them.

2D fighters - all of you. Stop already. It was cute about a hundred years ago, but come on - the formula is tired.

Titanfall 2. Seriously, you didn’t play the first? Poor thing. It’s ten times better.

Early Final Fantasy. Nothing feels less videogamy than the turn based formula. I’ve heard they don’t make them that way anymore so progress is good I suppose.

Pretty close except not Final Fantasy 3 basically I thin that one is unique... but sorta this....

and I mean NES Final fantasy 3 not Final fantasy 6 aUS (FF3 in Japan or ... whatever however that works)