what am doing...is it right or wrong>?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kingmohd84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Kingmohd84
Member since 2006 • 608 Posts
I am very selective of the games i buy...i think $60 is a lot of money for one game, and am always sure there is abetter offerto get the same experience of the game(used games, borrowing, special offersfor older games)and i only pick games that are highly rated, things that i cant go wrong with lke GTA and halo...basically i would only buy a game that is a 9 or high 8's , depending on the genre, for example i would buy it if its racing cause i dont like racing games...
do you think what am doing is wrong? i mean are there fun games that arent highly rated? i dont see how those games that get rated by 5's and 6's even get sold and people still get to enjoy themor are they playing them just because they got them? Do you buy any game you feel like? its a big mistake to regret it later onbecause the money already went on to waste...there are games that look like fun or with a theme that i like, but i am always afraid to buy that rated "6" game because gameplay and controls might just simply suck...
ShenlongBo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 ShenlongBo
Member since 2004 • 3800 Posts
The reason you think $60 is a lot for a game is because that is a lot of money for a game.  Buying games is an investment, and that means you should always, always, seek to get all the bang you can for your buck.  So no, being selective isn't wrong.  No matter what anyone tells you, you aren't hurting the industry or failing it in some obscure way, so don't sweat it.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Trust me, you are not alone. The last game I played rated below an 8 here was Lost Planet or better known as bag of barf in game form. Don't buy anything below an 8 and you're good. There is too much compeition in this industry for developers to make crappy games anymore, there is no more excuse, shape up or ship out. Make your voice heard with your dollar.
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts
I usually just download and play demos for the games. Thats a good enough indicator if its worth buying or not.
_Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 _Bear
Member since 2002 • 18760 Posts

I usually just download and play demos for the games. Thats a good enough indicator if its worth buying or not.XaosII

Xbox 360 has made this reality for console gamers really for the first time. Its great to have, really helps you make up your mind as 85 % of the games on it have a demo, sadly some don't. To me this is an indicater that the game is not so great, and I tend to stay away from games with out a demo. Activision tends to not have a lot of their games demo, to me I think the quality of  The big A's games are not as good as they used to be.

SciFiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 SciFiCat
Member since 2006 • 1750 Posts
No at all, problem is what about games that get scored a 7? Sure, these are games that have minor issues, but in the end are good games. I remember and very old game for PS2 called Ring of Red, it got a 7.9 from Gamespot. The graphics look like a PS1 game ported on the 11th hour to PS2. But the game had great animation, sound and killer gameplay. I loved it!!! And I might had miss it because it did not break the psychological 8.0 barrier. I guess with games that score 7s, you have to take into account what makes them falter. If it is only the graphics or lenght, then it means the game might be worth your while. It also depends about the subject matter. Take Ring of Red, an Action/Turn based Strategy game, featuring retro futuristic giant mechs using 1960´s level of technology, in a alternate universe where World War II took a different turn. I just happen to be a: 1.- A giant mech nut 2.- Turn based strategy lover 3.- WWII history buff 4.- Someone who read "The Man in the High Castle", That game had my name written all over it. PS: Don´t go below 7, that´s just asking for trouble
Skullheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Skullheart
Member since 2006 • 2054 Posts

I am very selective of the games i buy...i think $60 is a lot of money for one game, and am always sure there is abetter offerto get the same experience of the game(used games, borrowing, special offersfor older games)and i only pick games that are highly rated, things that i cant go wrong with lke GTA and halo...basically i would only buy a game that is a 9 or high 8's , depending on the genre, for example i would buy it if its racing cause i dont like racing games...
do you think what am doing is wrong? i mean are there fun games that arent highly rated? i dont see how those games that get rated by 5's and 6's even get sold and people still get to enjoy themor are they playing them just because they got them? Do you buy any game you feel like? its a big mistake to regret it later onbecause the money already went on to waste...there are games that look like fun or with a theme that i like, but i am always afraid to buy that rated "6" game because gameplay and controls might just simply suck...Kingmohd84

Get Xbox Live, play online games like Gears of War. Simple, good fun for months and months on end. Probably even years. 

CGavin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 CGavin
Member since 2007 • 234 Posts

Trust me, you are not alone. The last game I played rated below an 8 here was Lost Planet or better known as bag of barf in game form.GodModeEnabled

No Way!! I collect bags of barf! 

kfjl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 kfjl
Member since 2004 • 2469 Posts
Nothing wrong with that; I buy games the same way. I go to the site Metacritic and usually only buy games with a composite of 90 or higher. I've bought some below 90 that I thought were great and I loved, but with all the money and time it costs to play a game, I don't want to risk buying a crappy one. If you are curious about a lower-scored game, there's always demos or rental
Robnyc22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Robnyc22
Member since 2007 • 1029 Posts

Not really right or wrong....but I think that Scores alone arent the best way of choosing the best games....especially if you ask many gamers, many classics never even hit 9.0 here at Gamespot or at other places.

Deus Ex, probably one of the most classic first person games of all time, recieved an 8.2 here at Gamespot.

Ico and Shadow of the Colossus are cited by many people as being two of the best games on the PS2 platform, neither got a 9.0 here at Gamespot.

You ask most PC gamers whats the best and most atmospheric RPG released on the PC platform since KOTOR, and many will quickly list Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, despite the fact that Gamespot gave it a very low score of 7.7 due to the bugs at the time.

I personally prefer word of mouth from like-minded gamers as myself in combination with an average of review scores from numerous sites (like those found at Gamerankings or Metacritic) when choosing to check out or look into a game.

Kuruption84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Kuruption84
Member since 2003 • 5354 Posts
There's nothing wrong with what you do at all, but I never leave it up to reviews completely. With the trade in values of games pretty much in the toilet at this point. I've decided to start renting more. Unless it's an absolute must have I'll rent it and play through it, my Gameznflix membership is less than 10 bucks a month for two at a time out, plus my wife works at EB and she can sign out any game that she has a used copy of for four days. If I want a copy to own, I'll wait for a price drop and get it later. Gaming is an expensive habit, and I'm tired of paying 50-60 dollars for junk.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't buy a game that gets below a 7, because games that get in the 7 range are usually good, then 6 is alright, then 5 is meh, then after that it's just a load of crap, in my opinion.  I usually never have problems with getting games, because I normally get games that are part of a series I like and trust, and I have many series that I like and trust, and are usuallya 7 higher anyways.
shoesfromhell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 shoesfromhell
Member since 2005 • 195 Posts

I just happen to be a: 1.- A giant mech nut 2.- Turn based strategy lover 3.- WWII history buff 4.- Someone who read "The Man in the High Castle", That game had my name written all over it. PS: Don´t go below 7, that´s just asking for troubleSciFiCat

Not that it has much to do with the topic, but I'm just really stoked whenever somebody drops a Philip K. Dick mention into the conversation.  Mad props for having good taste, SciFiCat.

As for your moral dilemma about game ratings: 

You have to do your homework, unapologetically, when it comes to games and you have absolutely no reason to feel bad or conflicted about it.  Not only is price an issue, but think about all the time you end up investing in games these days.  At the risk of sounding totally conceited, I just don't have the time to waste on crappy games.  Period.  And neither, I'm sure, does anybody else.

Read reviews.  Play demos. Do like your momma told you and don't judge a game by its cover.  

Lather. Rinse. Repeat. Enjoy. 

Lacuna69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lacuna69
Member since 2007 • 83 Posts

Don't buy into ANY review.  Use www.gamerankings.com for a better overall unbiased opinion.

Otherwise, try the demo and use your own unique judgement.

CanadianEh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 CanadianEh
Member since 2002 • 7173 Posts

I think that's fair. If you're going to waste your time with a ridiculous hobby like videogames, you may as well make sure you're getting the best bang for your buck. Support the publishers when their games are good, and pretend they don't exist when their games suck, which is most likely to happen.

Lacuna69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Lacuna69
Member since 2007 • 83 Posts

I think that's fair. If you're going to waste your time with a ridiculous hobby like videogames, you may as well make sure you're getting the best bang for your buck. Support the publishers when their games are good, and pretend they don't exist when their games suck, which is most likely to happen.

GAMES- the ridiculous hobby that EVERYONE you know (under 45) is into...

CanadianEh
fathoms_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 fathoms_basic
Member since 2002 • 22116 Posts

It's not wrong, it's commendable. All you're doing is some research before making a relatively pricey purchase...how can that be "wrong?" You may want to consider trying a few of those games that scored a 6 if they fit your personal gaming tastes, though. For example, I always have a blast with those DoA: XBV games, but they receive very mediocre scores (and rightfully so). I also frequently don't agree with a lot of RPG scores that have been handed out in the past five or ten years.

So while what you're doing makes perfect sense, you might want to spring for something you're sure you'll enjoy, despite a less-than-impressive set of scores.