Were Sixth generation games more unique and original compared to this gen?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lordoftheleft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 lordoftheleft
Member since 2011 • 151 Posts

I think so, it seemed developers were more willing to take chances back than. Nowadays it seems most developers are terrified with the prospect of making a game that doesn't fit into a certain cookie cutter mold set by other previously successful games. This generation it seems every game is either a fps, a clone of another game that was successful or a sequel. I'm sure people will be able to name a few original games this gen like Mirrors Edge, Heavy Rain, Flower, Little Big Planet but they are very few and far between. What do you guys think?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Only when you look back through pink goggles and ignore all the derivative crap there was last generation.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

I think so, it seemed developers were more willing to take chances back than. Nowadays it seems most developers are terrified with the prospect of making a game that doesn't fit into a certain cookie cutter mold set by other previously successful games. This generation it seems every game is either a fps, a clone of another game that was successful or a sequel. I'm sure people will be able to name a few original games this gen like Mirrors Edge, Heavy Rain, Flower, Little Big Planet but they are very few and far between. What do you guys think?

lordoftheleft

Why dont you try listing these amazingly original games from last gen?

I will go ahead and list them for you:

1. GTA3.

lordoftheleft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 lordoftheleft

1. GTA3.

S0lidSnake

Shadow of the Colossus, Ico, Psychonauts, Okami, Katimari Demacy, Just look at the Dreamcast's library :o hardly any of those games would be made today.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

D. Souls is pretty original imo aswell.

I don't think so.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

1. GTA3.

lordoftheleft

Shadow of the Colossus, Ico, Psychonauts, Okami, Katimari Demacy, Just look at the Dreamcast's library :o hardly any of those games would be made today.

That's true :)

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

indeed originality is over, welcome to the copy paste games

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#8 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

As in ps2 era? Heck ya. Rogue Galaxy, Dragon Quest 8, Tales of the Abyss.......This generation is missing unique games like these.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#9 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Only when you look back through pink goggles and ignore all the derivative crap there was last generation.foxhound_fox
Pretty much this. There's a ton of bland, soulless games this general but there's also a lot of fantastic stuff - and the PC indie scene has NEVER been as active as it is now.
thedailypixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 thedailypixel
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
I think it is just people being nostalgic.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 foxhound_fox
Shadow of the Colossus, Ico, Psychonauts, Okami, Katimari Demacy, Just look at the Dreamcast's library :o hardly any of those games would be made today.lordoftheleft
When all you look at from today's games is Call of Duty, then yeah, there isn't anything like those games from this gen. But that's your fault, not ours or the industries... there are TONS of unique games out there. I'd personally say more thiis gen than last gen, solely on XBLA/PSN/WiiWare/Steam Indie too.
lordoftheleft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lordoftheleft

When all you look at from today's games is Call of Duty, then yeah, there isn't anything like those games from this gen. But that's your fault, not ours or the industries... there are TONS of unique games out there. I'd personally say more thiis gen than last gen, solely on XBLA/PSN/WiiWare/Steam Indie too.foxhound_fox

What I'm referring to is major releases I'm not really talking about down loadable titles from XBLA PSN Steam or even Indie games. I said sixth generation so that also means I'm not talking about PC games either since PC hardware is constantly evolving and isn't measured in generations.

Who said Cod is all I'm looking at? I'm aware of just about every major game that comes out this gen.

You have to admit that there are significantly more mediocrity this generation than last. Just look at the so called best games of the year how many of them are sequels? How many of them are derivative of other games? This generation if a game is even the slightest bit successful for some reason it warrants a sequel. So that means less original IP's and less creativity because of the fear of deviation from the formula of what made the original game popular. Look at the Assassins Creed series how much longer is that gonna be dragged out? Ubisoft is essentially just making the same game over and over again.

And of course there has always been games that have been derivative even last gen, all I'm saying is it has become more prevalent.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#13 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

What I'm referring to is major releases I'm not really talking about down loadable titles from XBLA PSN Steam or even Indie games.lordoftheleft

I think that ignoring those games makes the generational comparison kind of pointless, though - last generation had nothing comparable to those online stores (other than a handful of XBL arcade games) and many of the releases for XBLA and PSN would probably have been full retail games if that avenue wasn't available for them. Hell, some of them have been - Alien Hominid saw a retail release and some other games have been part of disc-based collections.

And of course there has always been games that have been derivative even last gen, all I'm saying is it has become more prevalent.

lordoftheleft

I dunno, I think it's just easier to remember the great games from previous generations as time helps the mediocre stuff sort of disappear. I mean, no one talks about all of the awful JRPGs on the previous consoles (mostly the PS2), or the glut of WW2 shooters, the dozens of Xtreme Tony Hawk knockoff titles, or the goofy platformers trying to ape Jak and Ratchet and Sly (Blinx comes to mind immediately).The PS2 in particular was a minefield of crap you had to navigate to get to the good stuff.

Though thinking about the previous generation brings up Final Fantasy, and there I would have to agree that series was far better last gen. This gen all we have is one FF abortion.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 foxhound_fox
Games are games, it doesn't matter if they are 50 MB and cost $5 on XBLA or 25 GB and cost $60 at Best Buy. If it can provide entertainment, and a meaningful experience, then it is a good game. If you think last gen had more "original" games, then you really are blind. Mostly everything last gen was just sequels, a lot of which were started in the PS/N64 generation. And what isn't original about Assassin's Creed? Or Batman: Arkham? Or any other new IP this generation? Many of them do take cues from older games, but they add a level of refinement not found in older games from previous generations (see: Rayman Origins). If you want truly "original" games, then you are going to have to go back a lot farther than just last generation. The NES and earlier was when all the truly original ideas started coming into gaming. Now we have people willing to refine what has already been done, and tweak it in a way that makes it significantly better (i.e. Batman: Arkham creating a fantastic action-adventure with stupendous melee combat, something most games from previous gens either had one or the other). I personally would rather have really well-polished games made from established ideas than ridiculously far-out, buggy messes that try to push the industry WAY too far too fast. Gradual improvement is better than jumps... because with jumps, most people don't notice them (i.e. Deus Ex).
Slipstream720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 Slipstream720
Member since 2008 • 287 Posts

I always thought Psi-Ops The Mindgate Conspiracy was pretty original...

Slipstream720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Slipstream720

But in response to the OT, I think there are just as many original games this generation as there was last.

Everybody just likes to be cynical.

Manimal2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 Manimal2000
Member since 2011 • 174 Posts

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

1. GTA3.

lordoftheleft

Just look at the Dreamcast's library :o hardly any of those games would be made today.

All that comes to mind for the Dreamcast is Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2. Sonic is really(in my opinion of course) Sega's only good series and it's a damn good one(my favorite video game series).

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#18 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14420 Posts

Too many on xbla/psn/steam/wiiware to count.

And this concept of "it has to be a major release on a disc or it's not a real game" is insane. And by not including these titles, your cutting out a major part of the industry . You can't judge the industry as a whole if you cut out a huge part of it.

And even on the reatil side, there have been innovative games. Mirror's Edge, LittleBigPlanet, Boom Blox, etc.

cprmauldin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 cprmauldin
Member since 2009 • 1567 Posts

Both generations have a lot to offer.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
I preferred the 4.5th gen, personally. Looking forward to the 13th though.
DyranLK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 DyranLK
Member since 2011 • 104 Posts

Well, considering the fact that games developed early on have the greater eventuality/potential to be much more influential than the later years' because there wouldn't have been a lot of old ideas already tossed into the drawing board to begin with, I guess you can say that, lol. I mean, nowadays, many games/game developers take old, established ideas/traditions and simply use their creativity to build a seamless, core gameplay experience on top of that, rather than actually work on the foundation itself, which makes innovative games that actually introduce something new/influential/unique to the table even more revered than ever these days, apparently. (Props to you, Dark Souls, Portal, Catherine, etc....)

On the other hand, a lot of other developers that actually attempt to make unique games tend to fail miserably sometimes, proving how good concepts can sometimes be executed so poorly, lol...(*cough* Mindjack *cough*) But nevertheless, I find any kind of game that could manage to catch my interest enjoyable, regardless of originality, imo. Of course, it would be crossing the line if a game implemented gameplay mechanics or plot synopses that were practically ripped off of another game (e.g. Secret Service :-P), though, although a handful have actually executed such tactics so well that they've become as good of a game as any other (e.g. Uncharted ;)); but of course, the latter is usually not something you'd want to constantly hope for, lol.

Whatever the case, that's my two cents, lol...sure, I suppose the majority of this generation's lineup of video games isn't as comparable to the sixth-generation's handful of unique products (which actually isn't completely true), but there's still been some pretty excellent releases in the past 7 years regardless, I'd think, and I'm more than fine with that. xP

keybladegamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 keybladegamer
Member since 2011 • 516 Posts

No, not really... I mean, there were original games last gen, but this gen has original games as well. There's all the XBLA, PSN, WiiWare, Steam, IOS games, and then there's titles like Littlebigplanet, Mirror's Edge, and Scribblenauts (Seriously, am I the only one who thought this game was more unique then any other game this gen?)

ArchonOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#23 ArchonOver
Member since 2010 • 1103 Posts

Games like Minecraft, Trine, Magicka, LA Noire even tried something different, Portal, Skyward Sword with the cool sword controls, Team Fortress 2, Bastion, and more have come out this generation. All of them unique and original.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
No and that is a downright silly thing to say.
GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

I agree, video games were a lot better back then. I still play my PS2 more than I play my PS3 or 360.

Today, every successful mainstream game is either a Call of Duty clone or Gears of War clone. I'm so sick of generic, repetitive shooters.

There are still a few gems that were produced this generation, those are games like Amnesia, Sonic Generations, Braid, Minecraft, White Knight Chronicles and Tales of Vesperia. Games that dared to be different. They're not as popular as Call of Duty, Gears of War, Killzone or Uncharted, but they definitely deserve more attention and respect.

It feels like there's no end to the PS2's library of awesome JRPGs. Unfortunately I've already played about all of the good JRPGs the PS3 and 360 have to offer.

I'm really disappointed in what the video game industry has become. Or is turning into. I blame Halo and Call of Duty for popularizing the console shooter. Developers pump out rehashed shooter after rehashed shooter every year, and most gamers continue to buy them.

Buying these shooters for $60 each is a huge rip-off considering the campaigns are typically very short. I'd say they range from 5 - 12 hours. That can be beat within a week.

lordoftheleft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 lordoftheleft

[QUOTE="lordoftheleft"]What I'm referring to is major releases I'm not really talking about down loadable titles from XBLA PSN Steam or even Indie games.DJ_Lae

I think that ignoring those games makes the generational comparison kind of pointless, though - last generation had nothing comparable to those online stores (other than a handful of XBL arcade games) and many of the releases for XBLA and PSN would probably have been full retail games if that avenue wasn't available for them. Hell, some of them have been - Alien Hominid saw a retail release and some other games have been part of disc-based collections.

lordoftheleft

I dunno, I think it's just easier to remember the great games from previous generations as time helps the mediocre stuff sort of disappear. I mean, no one talks about all of the awful JRPGs on the previous consoles (mostly the PS2), or the glut of WW2 shooters, the dozens of Xtreme Tony Hawk knockoff titles, or the goofy platformers trying to ape Jak and Ratchet and Sly (Blinx comes to mind immediately).The PS2 in particular was a minefield of crap you had to navigate to get to the good stuff.

Though thinking about the previous generation brings up Final Fantasy, and there I would have to agree that series was far better last gen. This gen all we have is one FF abortion.

I'm not ignoring them, I don't have any problem with them. There is a lot more diversity on digitally distributed games since they cost a significantly less to create and are less of a risk. This is why I'm only focusing on the big budget releases. Just look at Kill Switch on the PS2 not a successful game yet it's cover based combat is a concept that is still used in many games to this day. Uncharted, Gears of War, Killzone 2, Deus Ex HR, Dark Void all employ that one concept. Innovative Ideals are risky so making a game that is based around them isn't considered financially sound, especially this gen since the cost of making a game has has increased dramatically. Games this generation cost so much to create that they have to be a hit right out of the gate just to cover the cost of their investment. So developers are a lot less willing to try anything out of the status quo, and when they do have a hit they milk it for all it's worth even to the point that they come out yearly Madden style. Just wait and see we'll be on Assassin's Creed 7 before this gen is done. This is not really something that can be disputed it's reality.

I do agree with you on FFXIII though:D

Slipstream720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Slipstream720

Today, every successful mainstream game is either a Call of Duty clone or Gears of War clone. I'm so sick of generic, repetitive shooters.GeoffZak

Then look beyond successful mainstream games... doy

trent44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 trent44
Member since 2008 • 255 Posts

I agree, video games were a lot better back then. I still play my PS2 more than I play my PS3 or 360.

Today, every successful mainstream game is either a Call of Duty clone or Gears of War clone. I'm so sick of generic, repetitive shooters.

There are still a few gems that were produced this generation, those are games like Amnesia, Sonic Generations, Braid, Minecraft, White Knight Chronicles and Tales of Vesperia. Games that dared to be different. They're not as popular as Call of Duty, Gears of War, Killzone or Uncharted, but they definitely deserve more attention and respect.

It feels like there's no end to the PS2's library of awesome JRPGs. Unfortunately I've already played about all of the good JRPGs the PS3 and 360 have to offer.

I'm really disappointed in what the video game industry has become. Or is turning into. I blame Halo and Call of Duty for popularizing the console shooter. Developers pump out rehashed shooter after rehashed shooter every year, and most gamers continue to buy them.

Buying these shooters for $60 each is a huge rip-off considering the campaigns are typically very short. I'd say they range from 5 - 12 hours. That can be beat within a week.

GeoffZak

It is pretty darn easy to find good PS1/PS2/PSP game just by shuffling through the store shelves, the same isn't so true with the PS3/Wii/360. You have to know what your looking for, because the abundance of shovelware this gen is ridiculous.

brucecambell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 brucecambell
Member since 2011 • 1489 Posts

lordoftheleft

Id agree. Everything seems to be an action game, or some sort of shooter. Games take so much more time & money to make than they ever have though& gamers these days dont buy anythingthat isntyour big, action,blockbuster games.

One game that doesnt sell can close down a studio. Every release is important & studios dont want to make a great unique game, only to lose thier jobs. The game industry is harsh & gamers these gnerationsseem to be real close minded.

Developers have to do what they have to do to stay alive. Gamers dictate what games are made & what games aren't.