We need deeper platformers, not simplified ones.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#1 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26116 Posts

Back in the N64, we had Mario 64 and the Banjo games, giving players dozens upon dozens of moves a character could pull off to explore an enviroment.

But nowadays it's just jumping and running (and shaking) through linear obstacle courses.

I don't know about you, but I think this genre deserves a little bit more meat by now, don't you think?

TAMKFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 172

#2 TAMKFan
Member since 2004 • 33351 Posts

I'm personally fine with how they are now. Also, games like Ratchet & Clank have more than just running and jumping.

claudelruff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 claudelruff
Member since 2005 • 63 Posts

Space Station Silicon Valley was more of a puzzle/adventure game than a platformer.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
Ratchet and Clank goes the extra level. There's more to it than jumping.
verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 verbtex  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9196 Posts

We must go DEEPER!

But yeah, I agree to an extent, I'd like to see more platformers, much less of the FPS/TPS, STAT!

SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#6 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts

Play Rayman Origins.

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lulekani
Member since 2012 • 2318 Posts
Id like to say more 3D Platformers. The 2D ones are running out of gimmicks.
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
i dont recall mario 64 having 'dozens upon dozens' of moves :|
TAMKFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 172

#9 TAMKFan
Member since 2004 • 33351 Posts

Play Rayman Origins.

SpinoRaptor24

Now that's one game I've been wanting to try.

csward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#10 csward
Member since 2005 • 2155 Posts

Agreed, the 16 bit and 32/64 bit era were the best for platformers. I don't think they are running out of gimmicks, they don't have the talent to make unique platformers or it's just easier to make a FPS. I mean SMW2 Yoshi's Island had a great "gimmick" for a platformer and I'm sure there are more.

I would also add that Kirby: Return to Dreamland on Wii is a great platformer too, if a bit too easy because you can pretty much avoid any obstacles the game throws at you with flight.

csward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#11 csward
Member since 2005 • 2155 Posts

i dont recall mario 64 having 'dozens upon dozens' of moves :|campzor

Lol I love you 360 sig btw, so true.

Nonbeing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Nonbeing
Member since 2010 • 504 Posts
Id like to say more 3D Platformers. The 2D ones are running out of gimmicks.Lulekani
I do not agree with this at all. I've been running and jumping through video games since the days of Atari, and I have to say that some of my favorite platformers of all time have come from this generation. Particularly indie titles. Super Meat Boy is the first to come to mind. To me, that game is practically flawless, as well as extremely fun, creative and unique. Easily one of my favorite 2D platformers of all time, if not my number 1 favorite (I think it might just be...) Other extremely strong, recent 2D titles: Dustforce, Fez, Limbo, Braid I know 3 of those are puzzle platformers, but I don't see any reason not to include them in a general discussion. There are so many slightly different varieties of platforming games, but as long as you are jumping from one platform to another, they all still have that same general feeling that makes them a "platformer". Okay, now I've typed the word "platformer" so many times it's starting to sound weird and lose all meaning... so I'll stop. For now. P.S. I love platformers. Probably since they were many of the first games I ever played as a small child.
cutegame12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 cutegame12
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
It's a great site.Guys,help you,pls! WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS SITE? GO-GO-GAME the homepage AND AT THERE,YOU COULD WIN SOME FREE GOLD.WHY WAIT?
lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

Agreed. It's hard to find good platformers these days, but I'm expecting great things from Sly 4.

Tav91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Tav91
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

Play Rayman Origins.

SpinoRaptor24
Rayman Origins was a fantastic game. one of the best platform games i have seen in a long time! Its difficult enough to keep you well immersed but simple enough to play with non gamers. In that sense i suppose its like Mario on acid? lots of pretty colours haha. One of my childhood favorite platform style games was Crash Bandicoot. It wasn't overly heavy on the platforming but i still think it deserves inclusion. I would love for a team to knock out a new Crash game with the same gameplay as the old ones. Maybe Naughty Dog will release a HD version? :o
CalamityKate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 CalamityKate
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

I don't think it has to be an either/or.

Limbo is a platformer with simle mechanics that does wonderful things with mood and tone. I've been enjoying Akane: The Kunoichi lately, which is your basic run left to right, kill enemies, boss fight, repeat game with roughly 16-bit quality graphics. Simple, but fun.

Something deeper, like Braid, is nice for flexing the intellectual muscles to use the variety of time-manipulation abilities to solve the various puzzles.

Having a nice range of simple to complex, providing gamers of all skill levels and degree of experience with something they can enjoy would be the ideal situation.

slowpokebro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 slowpokebro
Member since 2012 • 572 Posts
SM64 is still one of my favorite games to this day.