We DEMAND more splitscreen i games!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The-Eskimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 The-Eskimo
Member since 2004 • 197 Posts

I've been sitting on the sideline gaming for about 10 years now, and during thoose ten years my beloved splitscreen co-op gameplay has died.

What we get of splitscreen we buy, like army of 2, RE5 even the LEGO games.

I hyear the reason for this removing of my favourite kind of game is to get ONLINE gaming. Yes, you heard it, ONLINE gaming. Online gaming is only made to play with others. I wanna play with my friends, at my house, on my flatscreen tv, in the same room! I wanna talk to my friends face to face, not via vt/Teamspeak/XboxLIVE.

GET OUT SPLITSCREENS BACK!

Thanks you.

Cold greetings from Norway.

BeyondPain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 BeyondPain
Member since 2008 • 762 Posts
I enjoy split screen too and miss it in most shooter games, especially when its perfect for co-op. At least most quality titles have it:)
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

Nah. Split-screen is headache inducing and covers up the experience. Also, nothing more breathtaking than playing a next-gen game on full WS HD.

The only good game to play together is Street Fighter IV. Nothing beats throwing down with your friends at a house with two controllers/joysticks and junkfood everywhere.

LongZhiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LongZhiZi
Member since 2009 • 2453 Posts
I've gotta agree with you. In fact, it's sort of made my consoles feel a bit wasteful. It used to be that when I decided whether to a buy game for my PC or a console, I'd consider two things: whether it's a game I'd play with someone else and if I had any major bias towards input (controller or m/kb). So long as I didn't particuarly care about the input, if a game had splitscreen and I thought there might be a chance that it got used, I'd buy the console version. But since it seems like many games have dropped splitscreen in favor of online, I find myself playing less console games. I don't know why I'd pay $10 more for what's inevitably going to be a solitary experience. Last year when Mercs 2 dropped, it was rather ambiguous whether the game had local multiplayer or just online. I would've been thrilled to buy the PS3 version if it had it, but it didn't so I wound up with the PC version. So I'd love to see a revival of split-screen in games. I think of all the good times I had playing games with my brother and realize that when I go back to visit in a few months, I've got nothing for us to play except sports games.
Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts

I concur. More games need to have split screen. Even though online is normal now I still like to live in the real world where people get together.

jamesee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 jamesee
Member since 2009 • 153 Posts

I concur. More games need to have split screen. Even though online is normal now I still like to live in the real world where people get together.

Nifty_Shark
is saints row2 split screen? i also love playing with friends and i can point stuff out to them and talk face to face
PG_Chimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PG_Chimp
Member since 2009 • 211 Posts
I agree. I had plenty of great times of the N64 playing splitscreen/offline mutliplayer games such as Goldeneye, Mario Kart , Super Smash Bros and Perfect with family and friends. Games nowadays need split screen.
Cactus_Matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Cactus_Matt
Member since 2008 • 8604 Posts

I also agree. I strongly dislike online multiplayer, I like seeing the look on a man's face as I teabag his corpse.

Syaz1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Syaz1
Member since 2008 • 554 Posts

agreed. playing cod 4 and cod waw together with friends is priceless. i get to do so many stuff that i won't be allowed to do online, like creating a match by only using grenades launchers to kill my friends in cod waw, because online is all about competition and seriousness.

LongZhiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LongZhiZi
Member since 2009 • 2453 Posts

agreed. playing cod 4 and cod waw together with friends is priceless. i get to do so many stuff that i won't be allowed to do online, like creating a match by only using grenades launchers to kill my friends in cod waw, because online is all about competition and seriousness.

Syaz1

This is why I don't enjoy online gaming at all. I don't horse around when I play online- I actually do attempt to achieve whatever task we're supposed to. But for me, it's just about having some fun. I hate playing with highly competitive people.

stike22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 stike22
Member since 2009 • 3401 Posts
Splitcreen was brilliant seriously miss it and love the few games that still do it, I have to say though the N64 was the splitscreen multiplayer king.
caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 caddy
Member since 2005 • 28709 Posts
I don't play much split screen any more. In fact, I would say I dislike having my screen cut in half. However, I have to admit that some of my best moments in games have come from playing split screen games with a bunch of friends (Goldeneye etc.)

These days, I appreciate the effort when a developer makes their game split screen, but sometimes it doesn't work since games today are really so much more advanced than in the past. Some games just can't handle having the graphics split into two parts.
webbut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 webbut
Member since 2005 • 2946 Posts

I miss it too i cant see why we cant have both... i want my cake and i want to eat it too. I enjoy being with people i know playing things like castle crashers and rock band and super smash for hours and talking about crap just as much as i like chatting with people online

CRS98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 CRS98
Member since 2004 • 9036 Posts
It has its downsides, like ruining the tension of finding someone when you can just look at their screen.
Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts

Actually, I would argue that split-screen gaming has been rendered obsolete for the most part by the internet. If I was going to play multiplayer, I would much ratherhave a TV all to myself. There are tons of multiplayer games without split screen, like Street Fighter or Castle Crashers, and if I have friends over we play those.

But to be honest, I can think of a dozen great split-screen games right now. Mario Kart Wii, Gears of War 1/2, Left 4 Dead, Resident Evil 5, Call of Duty 4, Halo 3, Warhawk, etc.

Also, I goof around all the time, even in games like COD4. For example, take the P90, extreme conditioning, juggernaut, and bomb squad and ONLY KNIFE! Hours of fun right there.

The-Eskimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 The-Eskimo
Member since 2004 • 197 Posts

Nobody saying we can't have online play AND splitscreen. But splitscreen has been removed from so many games, and replaced with online play only.

I see alot of games beeing better online. But the focus here is games that would be GREAT with splitscreen and failed to deliver. This will happen in the future aswell.

All Im saying is: We want our splitscreens back!

What would army of 2 be without splitscreen awesomeness?

REA24409

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 REA24409
Member since 2007 • 863 Posts

What about resistance?

ZimpanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#18 ZimpanX
Member since 2005 • 12636 Posts

Agreed, the fact it's not even included in most racing games these days is downright criminal.

inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 inoperativeRS
Member since 2004 • 8844 Posts

Nifty_Shark
Indeed. Split screen/LAN is still by far the best way to play together.