We are getting to a point where story in video games is rivaling movies

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Valkyriareaper1
Valkyriareaper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Valkyriareaper1
Member since 2009 • 526 Posts

What I mean by this is we are getting to that point where stories can, do, and should have the capability to fill us with emotions. What kind? Well when a character you like actually dies, it's heartbreaking for the main character and for you. I was watching the ending for Halo 4 when Cortana dies, it was heartbreaking. This is the first time anything involving Halo's story has moved me, before I thought Halo's story was terrible. Back around the time of Final Fantasy VII, when Aerith died. It moved people, people were saddened by her loss. This was a character you cared about, therefore their death was in a way, tragic and impacting. It seems more and more throughout the years that stories like this for video games, and even other things about a game's story are getting better. They can rival movies. To me the best movies are the ones that can get me emotional or have a deep meaning, they're the most powerful if they can make the watcher/player feel something. Assassin's Creed is another game I'd like to point out, I was emotionally invested in Assassin's Creed II. Learning what life was like for Ezio the first hour, but then everything turned and a tragedy happened, and I was like "No you killed them", like putting yourself in his shoes. Basically, video games are becoming emotional investments. Not just mindless fun, like movies all ready are (if it's a good movie).

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
Not just mindless fun, like movies all ready are (if it's a good movie).Valkyriareaper1
Maybe that's your problem, you're just watching the wrong movies. Watch some better movies and then maybe you'll see how far back videogames are in the storytelling and characterization categories.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#3 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

No, they're miles behind. But they're getting better. Although I have to say, your examples are horrible.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44129 Posts
Yeah there are some great stories in games these days and some moments that really make good emotional impact on players. The Halo 4 example is a really good recent one.
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
I've always thought games told BETTER stories than movies. You can only do so much in 2-4 hours, while some great games go on for 30+ hours, notably zelda, final fantasy and other RPGS.
Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Lulekani
Member since 2012 • 2318 Posts
Whether the storytelling in video games is good or bad is besides the point, since most of the plot unfolds in texts and cutscenes which the samething as books and movies and stories in video games are just as passive as they are in other media. I get it, you like games more than you like movies, and good for you, but thats no base for any argument.
TheSacredFlame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 TheSacredFlame
Member since 2011 • 324 Posts

No, movies are leagues ahead of video games in the story department.

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

I've always thought games told BETTER stories than movies. You can only do so much in 2-4 hours, while some great games go on for 30+ hours, notably zelda, final fantasy and other RPGS.YoshiYogurt

Totally agree!

Sstrawberryjam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Sstrawberryjam
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

Journey was one of the best experiences I've had with any form of entertainment and a movie could never do anything the way that it did. Games should be looking to tell stories in ways that movies or books can't, instead of some typical Hollywood bullcrap.

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Lulekani

Journey was one of the best experiences I've had with any form of entertainment and a movie could never do anything the way that it did. Games should be looking to tell stories in ways that movies or books can't, instead of some typical Hollywood bullcrap.

Sstrawberryjam
Journey doesnt "tell" a story, it is a story. Definately a game thats on the right track to 1upping movies, too bad theres never gona be another game like it since people insist (insert favourite RPG here) and The Walking Dead have better stories than movies.
soapman72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 soapman72
Member since 2010 • 2714 Posts

What I mean by this is we are getting to that point where stories can, do, and should have the capability to fill us with emotions. What kind? Well when a character you like actually dies, it's heartbreaking for the main character and for you. I was watching the ending for Halo 4 when Cortana dies, it was heartbreaking. This is the first time anything involving Halo's story has moved me, before I thought Halo's story was terrible. Back around the time of Final Fantasy VII, when Aerith died. It moved people, people were saddened by her loss. This was a character you cared about, therefore their death was in a way, tragic and impacting. It seems more and more throughout the years that stories like this for video games, and even other things about a game's story are getting better. They can rival movies. To me the best movies are the ones that can get me emotional or have a deep meaning, they're the most powerful if they can make the watcher/player feel something. Assassin's Creed is another game I'd like to point out, I was emotionally invested in Assassin's Creed II. Learning what life was like for Ezio the first hour, but then everything turned and a tragedy happened, and I was like "No you killed them", like putting yourself in his shoes. Basically, video games are becoming emotional investments. Not just mindless fun, like movies all ready are (if it's a good movie).

Valkyriareaper1

Spoilers

fanart-cosplay-my-face-when-i-see-spoile

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#12 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

Sstrawberryjam
Journey isnt a story as much as its a retelling of Joseph Campbell's "The Hero's Journey", only in a video game format.
darkmoney52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 darkmoney52
Member since 2004 • 4332 Posts

Eh, I've recently been playing the Walking Dead and while it has the best story telling I've seen in games in a while, the writing is still a bit below the quality that I would watch a TV show or movie for. That said it doesn't need to be quite as high quality, the way it's told and the way you interact with it still made me care about some of the characters and feel guilt in a way I seldom have from movies.

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#14 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

TC, you should use spoiler tags. Just saying.

Sstrawberryjam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Sstrawberryjam
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="Sstrawberryjam"]

Lulekani

Journey doesnt "tell" a story, it is a story. Definately a game thats on the right track to 1upping movies, too bad theres never gona be another game like it since people insist (insert favourite RPG here) and The Walking Dead have better stories than movies.

It's a shame that there aren't more games like it, it did more without words than most games ever could. Honourable mention for Rockstar as well, kings of depressing satire.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

Halo 4 and Mass Effect 3 spoiled in a week, nice.

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#17 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

I gotta say, some of the JRPGs I've played have been a lot better than some of the anime I've seen. But as for movies. Hm...that's complicated. I'm not a big movie buff so I don't know if I could speak accuratley on which is better. It also depends on the movie and game you're comparing.

Compare Twilight to Heavy Rain or Metal Gear Solid.

On the flip side, compare Call of Duty and Battlefield to Saving Private Ryan or Apocalypse Now.

Video games stories are coming a lot farther. Companies are beginning to hire proffessional writers to do their stories now. But as a whole I think games need to do a lot more maturing before we can say that they are on the level of movies.

Also, spoiler tags man! Jeesus....

VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts

I think's dangerous to make direct comparisons between movies and games. But I do get your points. In terms of evoking emotion, I agree.

Also, I believe that games have started to really play to the strengths of its unique medium, a medium that movies, TV and literature just can't replicate. Someone already mentioned Journey which is a fantastic example. Then there's The Walking Dead and To The Moon which just couldn't have as strong as an impact without the interactivity.

That's an exciting direction that I hope games continue to follow.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#19 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
spoiler alert maybe?
MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 MadVybz
Member since 2009 • 2797 Posts

I've always thought games told BETTER stories than movies. You can only do so much in 2-4 hours, while some great games go on for 30+ hours, notably zelda, final fantasy and other RPGS.YoshiYogurt

I can't say I agree here, if you're going strictly by longevity. Even in the games you mentioned, Zelda has a largely paper thin story (with lots of inconsistencies at that) and Final Fantasy games are loaded with unnecessary dialogue and somewhat convoluted plots. I do love both series' for what they are but to say that their stories are better than what are found in say, the above average movie, is a bit of a stretch.

kfjl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 kfjl
Member since 2004 • 2469 Posts
For the most part, games aren't even close to good movies in story quality. I'm not sure what to say to that other than if you think that, you should watch more/better movies.
jim_shorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#22 jim_shorts
Member since 2006 • 7320 Posts

Thanks for spoiling the Halo 4 ending brah.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#23 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Thanks for spoiling the Halo 4 ending brah.

jim_shorts
saying the same thing, how about a mod putting a spoiler alert on the post?
capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 capaho
Member since 2003 • 1253 Posts

I got very emotional playing GTA IV and Saints Row the Third, but I'm not sure that's a good thing.

-DirtySanchez-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 -DirtySanchez-
Member since 2003 • 32760 Posts
im sorry but stories in movies are seldom "good" and are way to short, so i take it as an offense saying its reaching that point
TrainerCeleste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TrainerCeleste
Member since 2012 • 1633 Posts
I disagree, games seem to rely on flashy graphics and generic hero stories now a days :P Movies are a lot the same too, but there are a lot more movie gems imo than video games :P
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
Also, I believe that games have started to really play to the strengths of its unique medium, a medium that movies, TV and literature just can't replicate. Someone already mentioned Journey which is a fantastic example. Then there's The Walking Dead and To The Moon which just couldn't have as strong as an impact without the interactivity. That's an exciting direction that I hope games continue to follow.VoodooHak
That's really what games should be doing, I think. I think that games aren't on par with movies, but it'd be a mistake to just try to copy the movie formula. Which a think a lot of companies are doing. Instead of playing to the inherent traits of the medium, something which movies and books cannot possibly replicate, too many games are just attempts to be "interactive movies". And that'd be a mistake as well. Because one of the strengths of movies is the LACK of interaction. And it's impossible to approach storytelling as well from that angle when one's making a videogame. In the off-chance that one of those developers whose trying to copy movies actually DOES write a great story, chances are that the interactivity and gameplay kill it. That the story actually SHOULD have just been a movie instead of being loaded with filler gameplay that ruins the pace and the narrative flow. Movies shouldn't try to be games, and games shouldn't try to be movies. Each embodies qualities that the other can't possibly match, and the best "storytelling" is going to be done by playing to the strengths of the particular medium.
dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts
Movies have horribad stories generally.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

No. they are different medias. You can not compare one to another.

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Lulekani

No. they are different medias. You can not compare one to another.

wiouds
True ! However, games still leach alot from other mediums so maybe they can be compare, even though movies always win.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#31 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

They certainly have the potential to have stories as good as movies, but publishers know their primary audience is in the 12-18 age demographic and they're well aware that the vast majority of those folks get bored with emotion and intrigue and plot complexity real fast.

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#32 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

I do think games are getting better and better.

Just speaking of two games specifically, Call of Duty : Black Ops 2, and Spec Ops : The Line both tell some of the best crafted military shooter stories yet, and both for very different feelings and reasons. and i give Spec Ops The Line the edge, i seriously wanted to put down the controller when i reached a certain point. [spoiler] it's when your trying to get to 'the gate' and you find an army encampent, your character makes the decision (he chooses not you in this case) to get through it via white phosporous mortor rounds. when you are all done, you find out that part of the place had refugee's, and you just see scores and scores of charred burned flesh of men, women, and children. It wasn't your objective, you thought from on high it was the bad guys... just the way that scene went i was just stunned never quite had that feeling of 'oh $hit we fvcked up....' [/spoiler]

and i've played Medal of Honor : Warfighter, which was horrid in the story department. nevermind Battlefield 3 series. Seriously if it were not for the fact that Call of Duty games very slowly go down in price, i'd of probably had all of them on discount just for the campaigns. and i don't even care for the multiplayer.

-------------------

But back to the stories, for the most part games stories seem to fit under the umbrella of the summer blockbuster action movie. and with that in mind, most of the big triple AAA games i think meet or exceed the stories being told in the summer blockbuster.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
no no no. Movies are still far better in story and storytelling for the most part. Games are still in their puberty when it comes to developing storytelling techniques. Besides, they are completely different mediums focusing on completely different things, and when storytelling methods in gaming fully matures, the stories it tells will differ a lot from the stories in movies.