was the ps2 ovverated?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for klonoafanboy122
klonoafanboy122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By klonoafanboy122
Member since 2013 • 232 Posts

do you guys think the ps2 is kinda well overpraised? or do you think it deserve the praise it get

in my eyes i love the ps2 it may not have had the best graphical power compared to the gamecube or xbox but it made up for that by having a massive library of games the ability to play dvds and being probebly one of the few consoles that managed to get games even when the ps3 was out

but i do see where people are coming from when they say its a ovverated console i mean even i have to admit most of the excusives didnt apeal to me (some i loved though like persona 4 or ape escape 2) and most of them where either platformers or jrpgs(which is a ganre im very picky with to begin with) thats not a bad thing if you like those sought of games but there not for everyone

i still think the ps2 is a awesome system i just can kinda see why some people consider it ovverated at the same time

and remember ovverated dosent mean bad it just mean it didnt deserve the acclaim it got

so what do you think was the ps2 a ovverated system or do you think the praise was well and truly deserved

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Work on your English, please.

klonoafanboy122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 klonoafanboy122

@BranKetra said:

can you answer the question please do you think the ps2 is ovverated?

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#5 ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

No, it wasn't.

Not even a little.

It had one of the most extensive libraries of any console ever produced, it set the gold standard for backward compatibility, it offered a cheap alternative to overpriced DVD players of the day, it looked sleek, played well... seriously the only negative thing I can even say about it is that the Dual Shock made my hands hurt, but that's barely even a criticism. Just my old cruddy hands.

david61983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By david61983
Member since 2013 • 288 Posts

It was overrated but still a great system. It didn't have the graphical capabilities of the Xbox or Cube, and it also didn't have any must-have games IMO. No RDR, GTA5, Skyrim, TLOU, or Uncharted 2. It did have a massive number of games though many of which were quite good.

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

Not in the least. The hardware was great, the first party exclusives were great and 3rd party exclusives were great. And it was a dvd player.

One of the few systems I cant find one real complaint about.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 branketra

@klonoafanboy122 said:

@BranKetra said:

can you answer the question please do you think the ps2 is ovverated?

It is spelled "overrated." Your English is dissuading me from replying to your questions.

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

For me it was. It was my least favorite console of it's generation and my least favorite console that Sony has made.

The reasons for that are:

1. GameCube and Xbox were both more powerful and I hated the PS2 controller, so for any PS2 game that was also released on either GameCube or Xbox, I always bought the GameCube or Xbox version over the PS2 version.

2. Unlike the PS1 and PS3 which had multiple great exclusives that appealed to me to make up for me not buying any multiplats on them, the PS2 did not have much in the way of exclusives that really appealed to me other than the God of War series. In terms of exclusives, the PS2 was known for it's Japanese RPGs and 3D platformers and neither of those genres appeal to me.

sharmakhan701

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By sharmakhan701
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

ol @ that person that said its overrated...its in no way overrated, underrated, only a little as people sell it to buy the new ones when its worth keeping (doesn't matter, PS2s are still being sold and is still getting games).

yes the Xbox & GC where more powerful as thats always the case, the last console released (in released order) is normally the most powerful (not the case with the current gen & the Wii tho) but even tho they where more powerful the PS2 still used all its power where as the others just didn't use the power they had to get the edge on the PS2 & i dnt know what they where thinking with that Original Xbox controller.

so it being weaker has nothing to do with it, again like the current gen, Wii sold the most, ppl talk about the Wii graphics, they obviously have not seen the games with gd graphics on it (not all about graphics, it just has some awesome games) but that does not matter now as the Wii U is out nxt yr.

klonoafanboy122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 klonoafanboy122

@david61983 said:

It was overrated but still a great system. It didn't have the graphical capabilities of the Xbox or Cube, and it also didn't have any must-have games IMO. No RDR, GTA5, Skyrim, TLOU, or Uncharted 2. It did have a massive number of games though many of which were quite good.

i disagree ps2 had many must have games like ratchet and clank,gta san andraus hell evenn god of war

klonoafanboy122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By klonoafanboy122

@starwolf474 said:

For me it was. It was my least favorite console of it's generation and my least favorite console that Sony has made.

1. GameCube and Xbox were both more powerful and I hated the PS2 controller, so for any PS2 game that was also released on either GameCube or Xbox, I always bought the GameCube or Xbox version over the PS2 version.

2. Unlike the PS1 and PS3 which had multiple great exclusives that appealed to me to make up for me not buying any multiplats on them, the PS2 did not have much in the way of exclusives that really appealed to me other than the God of War series. In terms of exclusives, the PS2 was known for it's Japanese RPGs and 3D platformers and neither of those genres appeal to me.

ill be hounest the only platformers i ever liked on ps2 that where exclusives was the first jak and daxter and ape escape

and most of the jrpgs on ps2 had no apeal to me whatsoever with the exception of persona 3 and 4 non of them ever held my interest

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Personally I think it really is over-rated. I remember at the time, I saw a lot more compelling games on the Xbox, Gamecube and Dreamcast. Honestly, show me a top 10 Exclusive PS2 games list, and I simply find it to be generally lackluster overall.

klonoafanboy122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By klonoafanboy122

@trugs26 said:

Personally I think it really is over-rated. I remember at the time, I saw a lot more compelling games on the Xbox, Gamecube and Dreamcast. Honestly, show me a top 10 Exclusive PS2 games list, and I simply find it to be generally lackluster overall.

xbox had barley any exclusives gamecube was good but most of them where made for a younger audience (but to be fair i did like pikmin) and the dreemcast was only around for 2 years(longer in japan) the ps2 hhad way more exclusives than both of them

i think the problem is people want to play m rated games noone cares if the games fun aslong as its for there age demographic its ok

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

@klonoafanboy122 said:

@trugs26 said:

xbox had barley any exclusives gamecube was good but most of them where made for a younger audience (but to be fair i did like pikmin) and the dreemcast was only around for 2 years(longer in japan) the ps2 hhad way more exclusives than both of them

i think the problem is people want to play m rated games noone cares if the games fun aslong as its for there age demographic its ok

Xbox was eh, but I think I still preferred it than PS2. Hard to say. For the time Dreamcast had, it was awesome. And Gamecube had an awesome library (I don't think they are for younger audiences explicitly, but for "family" audiences).

In my opinion, Gamecube >> Dreamcast (consinderation for only 2 years) > Xbox > PS2

klonoafanboy122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By klonoafanboy122

@trugs26 said:

@klonoafanboy122 said:

@trugs26 said:

Xbox was eh, but I think I still preferred it than PS2. Hard to say. For the time Dreamcast had, it was awesome. And Gamecube had an awesome library (I don't think they are for younger audiences explicitly, but for "family" audiences).

In my opinion, Gamecube >> Dreamcast (consinderation for only 2 years) > Xbox > PS2

ive always wanted to play jet set radio on dreemcast ^^

oh and billy hatcher on gamecube was good 2

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

I enjoyed my PS2, but I think I enjoyed Xbox and GC a little more.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#18 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Not in the slightest. Probably the best system of all time.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

Big time. It's my most disliked console.

dbtbandit67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dbtbandit67
Member since 2012 • 415 Posts

Yeah, I think it was. It sold all those systems because of the DVD player. Grand Theft Auto III + Vice City and San Andreas were its premiere exclusives, but on merit alone, Dreamcast was an overall better system.

Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts

@klonoafanboy122 said:

@starwolf474 said:

ill be hounest the only platformers i ever liked on ps2 that where exclusives was the first jak and daxter and ape escape

You forgot the game you have on your avatar.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@BranKetra said:

Side order of extreme rudeness for you two?

Anyway the PS2 was the second best console of that gen....it came in second to the DC. IMO. It had a diverse library and a lot of games to choose from. Most of the big third party developers were on there and Sony has good exclusives.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

People always say that the PS2 was the best but for me it always comes down to games. The gamecube had maybe the 5 best games of the 6th generation all exclusive to it. The library for the gamecube was/is ridiculous.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@firefox59 said:

People always say that the PS2 was the best but for me it always comes down to games. The gamecube had maybe the 5 best games of the 6th generation all exclusive to it. The library for the gamecube was/is ridiculous.

That's why the best is always going to be opinion. But sometimes you do have to look at the big picture and take personal preference out of it. Someone who loves Nintendo franchises will always have more fun with their console. But if you want the ability to play almost all the games third parties put out then Nintendo is not going to satisfy. Personally I think Nintendo consoles should always be a companion to whatever else you buy. They don't cost that much in comparison and you get a bigger gaming picture.

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 MadVybz
Member since 2009 • 2797 Posts

@ZZoMBiE13 said:

No, it wasn't.

Not even a little.

It had one of the most extensive libraries of any console ever produced, it set the gold standard for backward compatibility, it offered a cheap alternative to overpriced DVD players of the day, it looked sleek, played well... seriously the only negative thing I can even say about it is that the Dual Shock made my hands hurt, but that's barely even a criticism. Just my old cruddy hands.

I put that last bit in bold because I feel it's very important. Not necessarily the content of the complaint, but the nature of it.

The only complaints I ever hear about the PS2 are subjective whines, if you will. Either the controller was too small, certain games weren't on it, or silly fanboy-isms.

At the end of the day, the PS2 is the best console to grace the industry thus far, for the reasons quoted and some.

I've never had single a problem with my PS2, and it's a model from launch. I bought an X360 Slim in May earlier this year and there were a few times where it made me wanna pull my hair out.

Quality games, quality system. Deserves every bit of praise it gets.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 branketra

@LJS9502_basic said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@BranKetra said:

Side order of extreme rudeness for you two?

Anyway the PS2 was the second best console of that gen....it came in second to the DC. IMO. It had a diverse library and a lot of games to choose from. Most of the big third party developers were on there and Sony has good exclusives.

I actually was not being rude at all. I meant no offense. I do really have concerns about his spelling and grammar because I would like to converse with users about this topic, but that is as I have said. As I understand GameSpot, this site only has English forums, so a basic understanding of it is required for it. Do you disagree?

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

Not in the slightest

klonoafanboy122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 klonoafanboy122

@Pvt_r3d said:

@klonoafanboy122 said:

@starwolf474 said:

You forgot the game you have on your avatar.

yep and klonoa 2 luneteas vail was great 2 thank for reminding me

RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#29 RageQuitter69
Member since 2012 • 1366 Posts

The PS2 was a good system with some great games, but it was definitely overrated, not bad, but overrated. The biggest problem with the PS2 is the lack of a hard drive, I know there are the memory cards, but it should have had both a hard drive and memory card slots, to save someone from having to buy several memory cards. On top of that, the disks were weak, I lost count of how many times I would say to a friend 'let's play this game' and they would respond saying 'sorry, it doesn't work, the disk is scratched' despite the disk looking perfeclty clean, I remember having games for the original Xbox as well as DVDs that had several scratches on them and they still worked perectly. The PS2 was also the prime platform for shovelware, everyone says it's Nintendo systems but there is laods more shovelware on the PS2.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
Member since 2006 • 2521 Posts

Yes it was very overrated. Good console, but overrated.

I preferred the original XBOX and the much under appreciated GC.

Coming from being an N64 gamer and to some extent, DC gamer, I prefer the controllers on XBOX (S-controllers) and GC (Wavebird). I like the games, genres, exclusives on both platforms. The PS2 being JRPG centric became less appealing to me. And GTA and MGS didn't spark (even to this day) my interest either. There were a few gems like Red Faction, Twisted Metal Black, Jax, Sly Cooper, Ractchet and Clank series, Katamari, Rez, R-Type Final, Half-Life that were fun.

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 ojmstr
Member since 2003 • 1949 Posts

No it was not overrated, the ps2 actually made way for modern mp shootem-up games for consoles, yep thats right, the ps2 had the Socom series and those games pretty much layed down the fundament of how modern tactical shooters should be played on consoles for its time. The ps2 also had exclusives like metal gears solid 3, Tekken 4-5, god of war 1-2, shadow of the colossus, Rachet and clank, ico just to name some. The ps2 system also was in fact a dvd player, so again no it was not overrated. Im an xbox,,ps, and pc gamer btw so this is not coming from a fanboy.

Avatar image for samanthademeste
samanthademeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 samanthademeste
Member since 2010 • 1553 Posts

Sony gets no respect and is underrated. I don't know why so many people hate and fear Sony so much. They are so much better then Nintendo and Microsoft imo.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

Objectively I think you'd have a hard time arguing that it's overrated. It had an overwhelming number of highly-rated games, many of which were exclusive. A lot of people preferred the Xbox or GameCube for various reasons, but you can't argue the numbers.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

I have no idea how some people can say with a straight face that the Dreamcast was a better system than the PS2.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts
@JML897 said:

I have no idea how some people can say with a straight face that the Dreamcast was a better system than the PS2.

It's not hard. I think the Dreamcast, Xbox, GameCube, and every other platform I've ever owned, aside from the psp, is a better system than the ps2.

Tobougg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Tobougg
Member since 2013 • 56 Posts

@klonoafanboy122: I recently downloaded a PS2 emulator, so i coulkd play Snake Eater as i have a hard copy but my PS2 is broke. And to be honest looking through the catalog of games.. there actually was 90% crap. There was very few great games compared to even the PSX. Like on my PS3 i downloaded 9 games from the old systems.. and all of them are from the PSX.. Zero from the PS2.. there was maybe a handful of games that were truely great, MGS 2 and 3 and a couple of others like Silent Hill, Ico, shadow of the colossus etc. But 90% were just rubbish tbh. i mean, look how GOD awful FFX was, terrible kiddy story, stupid characters, stupid background volleyball game that ignored the laws of physics.. and stupid haircuts and voice acting.

betamaxx83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 betamaxx83
Member since 2013 • 360 Posts

The PS2 was definitely not overrated. It is one of the greatest consoles of all time, and had a plethora of great games. It had great games across all genres.

In fact it had probably the most dominant slate of games in 2001, with MGS2, DMC, GTA3, FFX, and GT3 all coming in one year, and were only available on the PS2. It pretty much catapulted the PS2 into the juggernaut it became blowing out the Xbox, and GameCube.

klonoafanboy122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 klonoafanboy122

@betamaxx83 said:

The PS2 was definitely not overrated. It is one of the greatest consoles of all time, and had a plethora of great games. It had great games across all genres.

In fact it had probably the most dominant slate of games in 2001, with MGS2, DMC, GTA3, FFX, and GT3 all coming in one year, and were only available on the PS2. It pretty much catapulted the PS2 into the juggernaut it became blowing out the Xbox, and GameCube.

dont forget jak and daxter that also came in 2001 and was naughty dogs next step after crash bandicoot ^^

Zjun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Zjun
Member since 2013 • 147 Posts

@david61983 said:

This!

A simple and true post.

Well people like to overpraise things that are dead. Well, lol, let them and you keep your brain.

Examples: Micheal Jackson, Bruce Lee (even if I loved this guy to death), Paul Walker, etc. etc. etc.

CoquiNegro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By CoquiNegro
Member since 2013 • 171 Posts

Hell to the no. The library was simply massive, I have yet to find a system with a better collection of games. The funny thing is that it kept chunking out games on a monthly basis. Power does not matter when you have such an endless wave of brilliant and memorable games. It also was a cheap dvd player, so that is always a plus.

betamaxx83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By betamaxx83
Member since 2013 • 360 Posts

@klonoafanboy122: Very true forgot about Jak and Daxter. There's no doubt in my mind, that 2001 was one of the greatest if not greatest year of gaming IMHO. Man the good days, such an awesome year.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

@david61983 said:

LOOOOOOOOOOOOL, PS2 had no must have games you say? LMFAO

klonoafanboy122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By klonoafanboy122

@betamaxx83 said:

@klonoafanboy122: Very true forgot about Jak and Daxter. There's no doubt in my mind, that 2001 was one of the greatest if not greatest year of gaming IMHO. Man the good days, such an awesome year.

it not only showed what the ps2 could do it was also a solid patformer with great gameplay fun characters and even some humour thrown in (daxter cracks me up everytime)

jak 2 and 3 where disapointing though