Was the Camera in Beyond Good and Evil always horrible?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

baryjayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 baryjayne
Member since 2004 • 51 Posts

So I just finished playing Beyond Good and Evil HD on Xbox 360 and found that it many ways it is still a great game, but man do the camera controlls suck. I played the game several years ago on Gamecube and don't remember this. Maybe more games had bad cameras then and I was more used to it back then.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#2 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
its the same camera that was always there. i didnt have any problems with it, but the game itself could have been a lot better.
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
How is the camera horrible? I remember a pretty standard right stick orbital camera.
baryjayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 baryjayne
Member since 2004 • 51 Posts

How is the camera horrible? I remember a pretty standard right stick orbital camera.Black_Knight_00
Yeah that's what I remembered too. Upon playing it again I found lots of problems though. It wasn't consistently horrible but it was in certain parts, or at least its flaws became problems in certain places.

One bizarre thing was that when the camera went to "stealth mode" meaning that the y axis shifted the view up or down instead of rotating the view, the y axis controls become inverted even though they are not inverted anywhere else in the game.

The fixed camera positions or the combat camera that switched views on the fly often had awkward transitions that caused me to be running in the wrong direction after a camera change, or didn't show what I needed to see, such as my boat being off camera. Sometimes I would get this obnoxious flicker where the camera was switching between views too fast to see anything. That happened a lot when the boat backed up into something. The absolute worst camera moment in the game was in the slaughterhouse and I was fighting these creatures that looked like Rays (the sea creatures), except they were on land. The camera was constantly switching in a very disorienting manner that made me switch what direction I was traveling in avery couple seconds or so and half the time what I was fighting was off camera, as was my partner (Double H) whom I kept hitting on accident because I couldn't see where he was. Fortunately in this case, button mashing can get you far in this game.

Opening up the camera/first person view, sometimes I was facing in the wrong direction even though I had carefully rotated my character to the direction I wanted to be facing. This seemed to happen in a spots where the third person view was a fixed camerera

The boat controls don't allow you to rotate your x axis view with the camera stick, which would be helpul when trying to scan your surroundings for where to go. Also the y axis only has two positions, the standard which is a little too low and an overhead view which you have to hold down camera stick for and doesn't show you very far in front of you. This was mainly a problem in the sections when you have to navigate around mines in the water.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#5 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
It was always sort of broken, but I think the main problem with the HD port is that it was actually a port of the PC version, with camera controls mapped to a stick instead of the mouse. The glitches showed up most when you were piloting the hovercraft around - the one segment with the mines and such is nearly unplayable because of it, I found.
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

I haqven't yet played Beyond good and Evil HD. I just have the plain old Playstation 2 version. So unless Ubisoft changed the camera as well as the graphics?

The camera was fine. the only time I had difficulties was during the final boss battle which I never could win.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]How is the camera horrible? I remember a pretty standard right stick orbital camera.baryjayne

Yeah that's what I remembered too. Upon playing it again I found lots of problems though. It wasn't consistently horrible but it was in certain parts, or at least its flaws became problems in certain places.

One bizarre thing was that when the camera went to "stealth mode" meaning that the y axis shifted the view up or down instead of rotating the view, the y axis controls become inverted even though they are not inverted anywhere else in the game.

The fixed camera positions or the combat camera that switched views on the fly often had awkward transitions that caused me to be running in the wrong direction after a camera change, or didn't show what I needed to see, such as my boat being off camera. Sometimes I would get this obnoxious flicker where the camera was switching between views too fast to see anything. That happened a lot when the boat backed up into something. The absolute worst camera moment in the game was in the slaughterhouse and I was fighting these creatures that looked like Rays (the sea creatures), except they were on land. The camera was constantly switching in a very disorienting manner that made me switch what direction I was traveling in avery couple seconds or so and half the time what I was fighting was off camera, as was my partner (Double H) whom I kept hitting on accident because I couldn't see where he was. Fortunately in this case, button mashing can get you far in this game.

Opening up the camera/first person view, sometimes I was facing in the wrong direction even though I had carefully rotated my character to the direction I wanted to be facing. This seemed to happen in a spots where the third person view was a fixed camerera

The boat controls don't allow you to rotate your x axis view with the camera stick, which would be helpul when trying to scan your surroundings for where to go. Also the y axis only has two positions, the standard which is a little too low and an overhead view which you have to hold down camera stick for and doesn't show you very far in front of you. This was mainly a problem in the sections when you have to navigate around mines in the water.

I should definitely play that game again, my memory of it is starting to blur. You may have a point regarding the camera, although keep in mind we are looking at a 9 years old game, a time when right stick camera control was still a relatively new thing and still needing refinement. Hell, some developers still can't get it right.
TJORLY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 TJORLY
Member since 2008 • 3298 Posts

My main problem with it was that you couldn't invert the vertical axis without inverting the horizontal one.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

My main problem with it was that you couldn't invert the vertical axis without inverting the horizontal one.

TJORLY

This was the biggest problem for me. I need BOTH axis inverted for everything in every game I play because that's how every game used to be pre xbox/PS3 including the originsl Beyond Good and Evil. Why would they not let you play the game the way it was when it originally released?

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#11 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9175 Posts

I didn't find any main problems with it, with both the Xbox (2004)version and the PSN version