Was Cold Fear a good Survival Horror game ?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c56012aaa167
deactivated-5c56012aaa167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5c56012aaa167
Member since 2016 • 2538 Posts

I know the MC ratings of this game were low, but it's setting doesn't look that bad.(On a tanker in the middle of a storm)

Was this game that bad ?

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11674 Posts

@dorog1995: Honestly remember this game being recommended to me over a decade ago but never gave it a chance, came out a similar time to Resident Evil 4 and Demento. Early 2000s was a good time for Survival Horror games. 'If I'm a few years off; keep in mind I'm guessing here'

And seeing Ubisoft (a company mostly praised for PoP and BiA at the time) attempting to do a Survival Horror game was honestly laughable.

The set-up comes across like Resident Evil: Revelations. Which I think is a pretty good game, so this maybe worth checking out for a retro dip.

If you end up getting the game, let us know how it holds-up.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58378 Posts

I heard it was a good game, almost picked it up, but I don't do too well with horror games haha.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

It's not very good, but if you're a fan of survival horror games you've probably already played far worse.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 RSM-HQ
@Black_Knight_00 said:

It's not very good, but if you're a fan of survival horror games you've probably already played far worse.

Survival Horror is a very hit and miss genre but it does have a lot of bad games to list.

When I think of the worst_

Can't think of a worse Survival Horror game than AitD: Illumination; so let me know if it manages to be worse than this trainwreck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By deactivated-5c56012aaa167

@RSM-HQ: I remember there wasn't any hope for this game ever since it's reveal.

@RSM-HQ said:

@dorog1995:

The set-up comes across like Resident Evil: Revelations. Which I think is a pretty good game, so this maybe worth checking out for a retro dip.

Well I think that Revelations actually copied from Cold Fear since CF came out 1 generation sooner.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Black_Knight_00

@RSM-HQ said:
@Black_Knight_00 said:

Survival Horror is a very hit and miss genre but it does have a lot of bad games to list.

When I think of the worst_

Can't think of a worse Survival Horror game than AitD: Illumination; so let me know if it manages to be worse than this trainwreck

I haven't played Illumination (because who did?), my thirst for Alone in the Dark ended with the 2008 game, but from what I've seen Cold Fear is definitely a step above. At least it's a single player game.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RSM-HQ
@dorog1995 said:

Well I think that Revelations actually copied from Cold Fear since CF came out 1 generation sooner.

It was a scene comparison, not a statement in-which a 3DS game was before something released in the early 2000's, I am aware of the release date differences; roughly. If my paragraph came across that Cold Fear copied Revelations? That was not my intent.

Still would be glad to read if you have any impressions of Cold Fear after a playthrough.

@Black_Knight_00 said: haven't played Illumination (because who did?)

Sadly me, it was on sale through Steam and very curious on how it played, live and learn I guess. Would not recommend.

Cold Fear is definitely a step above. At least it's a single player game

Not a negative factor for me personally. My first Survival Horror game was Resident Evil: Outbreak, it was multiplayer. And it was a very fun game.

Granted, not as good as many of the Survival Horror SP games I would play later.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Black_Knight_00

@RSM-HQ: I'll probably pick up Illumination for a dollar as well, if nothing else to have material to goof around with a friend: he bought AitD 2008 and we are still laughing about it 10 years later. We even have an ongoing dare that whoever finds the uncommon PS3 "enhanced" port in a thrift store (gamestop doesn't count) has to buy it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5c56012aaa167

@Black_Knight_00: I've heard that 2008 game is the one where you have to fight the controls in the whole game.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#11 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

screenshot looks like every horror game ever made over the past 20 years

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Black_Knight_00

@dorog1995 said:

@Black_Knight_00: I've heard that 2008 game is the one where you have to fight the controls in the whole game.

That goes for every Alone in the Dark game, to be fair. Except maybe the fourth one.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RSM-HQ
@tryit said:

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TryIt

@RSM-HQ said:
@tryit said:

I dont get the joke, you actually think it doesnt?

seriously?

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RSM-HQ

@tryit:

I dont get the joke

Easy to understand really. If you don't know what you're chatting about, best to see yourself out_

you actually think it doesnt? seriously?

So you did get the "joke"

I tend to play games/ genres I chat about, not being some hypocrite that trashes anything that's not a Early Access Minecraft clone :P

*Before you attempt to correct me on the "Minecraft clone", try and process I'm turning your own frame-of-mind against you.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TryIt

@RSM-HQ said:

@tryit:

I dont get the joke

Easy to understand really. If you don't know what you're chatting about, best to see yourself out_

you actually think it doesnt? seriously?

So you did get the "joke"

I tend to play games/ genres I chat about, not being some hypocrite that trashes anything that's not a Early Access Minecraft clone :P

doesnt change even remotely address what I said. so again

the screenshot looks like every other horror game made in the past 20 years.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5c56012aaa167

@tryit:How many horror games did you play/see ? Alien Isolation, Silent Hill games,Fatal Frame games , And RE games before 4 were different than that. and since you said:"past 20 years" it means every horror game from 1998.

Even Slender man and Outlast are different.

@RSM-HQ: I've seen Cold Fear a little when my cousins were playing it. It doesn't have save stations.(Instead it will give you the option to save the game when you don't expect it, like when returning to room B) it has both laser sights and flashlights, you have 2 different camera systems(One for classic Survival Horror games and one for Behind the shoulder) And from what i've seen you also have some ammunition areas where you can fill you ammo for the next encounter.(Which have unlimited ammo I guess)

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TryIt
@dorog1995 said:

@tryit:How many horror games did you play/see ? Alien Isolation, Silent Hill games,Fatal Frame games , And RE games before 4 were different than that. and since you said:"past 20 years" it means every horror game from 1998.

Even Slender man and Outlast are different.

@RSM-HQ: I've seen Cold Fear a little when my cousins were playing it. It doesn't have save stations.(Instead it will give you the option to save the game when you don't expect it, like when returning to room B) it has both laser sights and flashlights, you have 2 different camera systems(One for classic Survival Horror games and one for Behind the shoulder) And from what i've seen you also have some ammunition areas where you can fill you ammo for the next encounter.(Which have unlimited ammo I guess)

are you saying what I am saying is not true? lets focus just on that for now, we can worry about me later.

is my statement true or false

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RSM-HQ
@tryit said:

False,

clearly.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TryIt

@RSM-HQ said:
@tryit said:

False,

clearly.

ok so you are saying the screenshot does not look like all other horror games ever ('all other' meaning 'the majority')

ok well thanks for sharing that view.

see? easy

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 RSM-HQ

@tryit:

ok so you are saying the screenshot does not look like all other horror games ever

Do all these games look the same from your perspective? And if so you've only proven your ignorance. Chances are you don't even know what most these games are.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TryIt
@RSM-HQ said:

@tryit:

ok so you are saying the screenshot does not look like all other horror games ever

Do all these games look the same from your perspective? And if so you've only proven your ignorance. Chances are you don't even know what most these games are.

those screens shots are evidence of what I just said.

they all look the same.

identical? no of course not, but showing nearly identical game play? yes of course.

but you are saying they are evidence of difference..ok that is your opinion.

A 3rd person view of a person holding a gun pointed out seeing a decapitated corpse you think is showing something different.

got it.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RSM-HQ

@tryit:

they all look the same.

identical? no of course not, but showing nearly identical game play? yes of course

No, no they don't. Funny the angle you try when examples are shown proving you otherwise.

The only thing all gifs had in common was your avatar having movement control. With the exception being both TEW2 and Resi4 both showing death animations (not shown in the OP) they have a few similarities as they are both heavily worked on by Mikami san. However none of these other games play the same.

Thanks for proving my point however, 'to you' all games look the same and apparently play the same. . When you don't play them.

holding a gun pointed out seeing a decapitated corpse you think is showing something different

So you didn't notice three of those gifs showed a player avatar with no weapon?

Now tell us how Fortnite and D00M are the exact same game. It's always hilarious to read whatever weird thing you state next.

ok that is your opinion

Ho ho. This isn't about "opinions"; and playing that "opinion" card is always the 'I got nothing' argument. You are the one who made the stupid claim all these games are the same and your level of proof is so profound (sarcasam). All those games play drastically different. It's factual. Try them sometime. Youtube isn't a good representation of "gameplay" and to be honest considering you've provided nothing but self-stubbornness to reinforce your bold claim, it's coming very clear you are just seeking attention.

Now that you've been shown otherwise, you're attempting to change your sub-subject to a gameplay debate. Something you are even more ignorant on. Why not accept you made a stupid remark and move along_

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TryIt
@RSM-HQ said:

@tryit:

they all look the same.

identical? no of course not, but showing nearly identical game play? yes of course

No, no they don't. Funny the angle you try when examples are shown proving you otherwise.

The only thing all gifs had in common was your avatar having movement control. With the exception being both TEW2 and Resi4 both showing death animations (not shown in the OP) they have a few similarities as they shared the same gaming director. However none of these other games play the same.

Thanks for proving my point however, 'to you' all games look the same and apparently play the same. . When you don't play them.

Now tell us how Fortnite and D00M are the exact same game. It's always hilarious to read whatever weird thing you state next.

ok that is your opinion

Ho ho. This isn't about "opinions"; and playing that "opinion" card is always the 'I got nothing' argument. They all play drastically different. It's factual. Try them sometime. Youtube isn't a good representation of "gameplay"

are you trying to convince me or yourself?

I am sorry but the lead OP looks like every horror game and for that matter every action game I have ever seen. a guy in 3rd person view with a gun pointed at a decapitated corpse in the dark.

you think that is showing something different, I do not agree and I will not change my mind so any further talk on the subject leads me to believe you are tying to convince yourself not me

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RSM-HQ

lol

Spent enough time chatting with the dead weight of the room_

@dorog1995 said: you have 2 different camera systems(One for classic Survival Horror games and one for Behind the shoulder)

I'm confused by this. Do you mean console commands like The Evil Within. Or the camera forcefully changed for different rooms/ angles?

If it's the latter; wouldn't that be jarring if frequently done, or is it like Deus Ex: Human Revolution in which it's only for certain gameplay elements.

And from what i've seen you also have some ammunition areas where you can fill you ammo for the next encounter.(Which have unlimited ammo I guess)

Never enjoyed unlimited ammo in Survival Horror games, that seems more of a negative to me. Cold Fear is giving me the idea it's more Max Payne (Action/ 3rd Person Shooter) than a well made Horror game, which usually I enjoy a heavy focus on vulnerability and tension, forcefully making rash decisions that completely shape the way a player moves forward.

However because I haven't played it, won't judge on that assumption. May look into it next I'm in a Survival Horror mood.

Randoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Randoggy
Member since 2003 • 3497 Posts

Was Extermination a good survival horror game?

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 RSM-HQ
@Randoggy said:

I recall enjoying it. Haven't played it for a very long time however.

Randoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Randoggy
Member since 2003 • 3497 Posts
@RSM-HQ said:
@Randoggy said:

I recall enjoying it. Haven't played it for a very long time however.

I played quite abit back in the day, remember getting stuck somewhere though.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 RSM-HQ

@Randoggy: Wasn't the easiest game. I recall taking long breaks from my save file. That battery mechanic was pretty brutal, made the game more difficult than a lot of other Survival Horror games of its time.

When I finished Extermination I recall ranking it up with The Thing as a difficult Survival Horror game.