Want a full version of your game? Better pre-order at Gamestop :/

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MarcusAntonius
Member since 2004 • 15667 Posts

I really don't like the potential for where this sort of thing can go.

While the examples cited in the article are reletively minor, the M.O. alone should raise some eyebrows and gamer scrutiny. Pre-order gifts are one thing, but in-game content is crossing the line, IMO. I don't want to start speculating and heading down the slippery slope, but I personally cannot help but wonder how far this nonsense will go.

I think I just got yet another reason not to shop at Gamestop.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

I think it is pretty lousy. Especially what Sony has done with both Uncharted 2 and Ratchet. They've parceled out special exclusive things to Amazon, Gamecrazy, Gamestop, Best Buy and I think maybe WallMart. Each retailer gets a different thing. It creates too much confusion over where to shop. I typically order from Amazon, and most of this stuff doesn't sway me, but I hate that people who preorder Uncharted 2 from Gamestop get to play the multiplayer demo for a few weeks before everyone else. I don't give Gamestop my business ever, and I really wish that they'd stop securing these little exclusives. I want to know that if I don't preorder a game, I can still walk into any store that sells it and get the same package as someone who preordered it.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44318 Posts

Yeah it's starting to get a little out of hand. The funny thing is, and the article also mentions it, is that companies are giving all this support to Gamestop which makes a lot of money from used game sales which is supposedly something that they despise. They're going to just end up pissing off other retailers who will see little need to order a bunch of games from them.

MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MarcusAntonius

I think it is pretty lousy. Especially what Sony has done with both Uncharted 2 and Ratchet. They've parceled out special exclusive things to Amazon, Gamecrazy, Gamestop, Best Buy and I think maybe WallMart. Each retailer gets a different thing. It creates too much confusion over where to shop. I typically order from Amazon, and most of this stuff doesn't sway me, but I hate that people who preorder Uncharted 2 from Gamestop get to play the multiplayer demo for a few weeks before everyone else. I don't give Gamestop my business ever, and I really wish that they'd stop securing these little exclusives. I want to know that if I don't preorder a game, I can still walk into any store that sells it and get the same package as someone who preordered it.

rragnaar

I'm an Amazon guy myself, the point is that I'd rather not have ANY of this garbage going on. If developers want to put out bonus stuff over DLC, they already have this option. The last thing gamers need is the middling crap from retailers.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

rragnaar

Preorder the game for $5 from gamestop. Get your code, go back the same day and cancel your preorder. :)

It's definitely a trend in gaming I could live without, but if that's what's keeping the retailers happy then so be it.

muller39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 muller39
Member since 2008 • 14953 Posts

I always get my games from best buy.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

I'm an Amazon guy myself, the point is that I'd rather not have ANY of this garbage going on. If developers want to put out bonus stuff over DLC, they already have this option. The last thing gamers need is the middling crap from retailers.

MarcusAntonius

Oh I agree wholeheartedly. Any content that is made prior to the game's release should be on the disc and accessible to anyone who buys it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c47d700b56ab
deactivated-5c47d700b56ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 deactivated-5c47d700b56ab
Member since 2003 • 8038 Posts
i only buy games at gamestop and i also sell them there too.
argianas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#9 argianas
Member since 2005 • 6779 Posts

Preorder the game for $5 from gamestop. Get your code, go back the same day and cancel your preorder. :)

S0lidSnake

I know someone who says he got blacklisted from preordering at GS since they cancel too many preorders. That plus GS stores are now only giving you the codes for in-game content when you pick up your game.

But yeah, it's getting bad. I don't mind stuff like the Uncharted 2 skill unlocking early or the like, I just hate EXCLUSIVE stuff. To get the AC2 palace I need to preorder, or never ever get it? There's one skill in inFamous that you could only get from preordering from GS (though I pretty much never used it). On stuff like this I wouldn't mind if the preorder people get it for free but the rest have to buy it for $5 on PSN/XBLA, so there's actually an avenue to get the content if you're late to the party. LBP did this with the God of War costumes, for example.

Add to that list: Forza 3 has 5 exclusive cars for preorders and MotorStorm Arctic Edge has an exclusive rally car off the top of my head.

And you're right in that different preorder bonuses for different stores sucks, as Sony has done with Ratchet, LBP, etc.

My favorite preorder bonus so far was Banjo-Kazooie for free when you preorder Nuts and Bolts.

That's the one advantage that the Wii has this generation - it's so primitive compared to its competition that they CAN'T do these in-game exclusives.

Avatar image for masterpinky2000
masterpinky2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 95

#10 masterpinky2000
Member since 2004 • 1955 Posts
I feel like pre-order bonuses are actually a pretty good thing if done well. You have to incentivize new game sales, otherwise people will just buy used/eBay them.
MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MarcusAntonius

I feel like pre-order bonuses are actually a pretty good thing if done well. You have to incentivize new game sales, otherwise people will just buy used/eBay them.masterpinky2000

Potential blackmail of your consumers is never justified.

CAPGOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CAPGOD
Member since 2009 • 237 Posts

It's funny, developers often complain about Gamestop stealing their revenue with used game sales, yet at the same time they decide to entertain them with all these exclusive bonuses. Is it an irony, I can't quite tell..

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

argianas

I know someone who says he got blacklisted from preordering at GS since they cancel too many preorders. That plus GS stores are now only giving you the codes for in-game content when you pick up your game.

But yeah, it's getting bad. I don't mind stuff like the Uncharted 2 skill unlocking early or the like, I just hate EXCLUSIVE stuff. To get the AC2 palace I need to preorder, or never ever get it? There's one skill in inFamous that you could only get from preordering from GS (though I pretty much never used it). On stuff like this I wouldn't mind if the preorder people get it for free but the rest have to buy it for $5 on PSN/XBLA, so there's actually an avenue to get the content if you're late to the party. LBP did this with the God of War costumes, for example.

Add to that list: Forza 3 has 5 exclusive cars for preorders and MotorStorm Arctic Edge has an exclusive rally car off the top of my head.

And you're right in that different preorder bonuses for different stores sucks, as Sony has done with Ratchet, LBP, etc.

My favorite preorder bonus so far was Banjo-Kazooie for free when you preorder Nuts and Bolts.

That's the one advantage that the Wii has this generation - it's so primitive compared to its competition that they CAN'T do these in-game exclusives.

GS can blacklist me any time, I dont like shopping there anyway.

The article Marcus posted has many preorder deals that just blow me away. I can understand cheat codes pre-unlocking stuff that's available to everyone who owns the game, but 5 exclusive cars, gold jetpacks (unlimited ammo), the AC2 thing you talked about, the gamestop exclusive Ratchet level etc. are just plain insane. I dont mind different character skins, but locking your consumers out of entire characters (Jaggernaut in MUA2) is so stupid that whoever came up with that idea needs to be lined up and executed.

*deep breath*

*reminds self that it's just video games*

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

It's just ironic because while Gamestop sells a lot of games a LOT of it is used which gives no money to the game company whatsoever, but these game companies sure do love to support Gamestop with these bonuses.

stevencavagan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 stevencavagan
Member since 2008 • 391 Posts

[QUOTE="MarcusAntonius"]I'm an Amazon guy myself, the point is that I'd rather not have ANY of this garbage going on. If developers want to put out bonus stuff over DLC, they already have this option. The last thing gamers need is the middling crap from retailers.

rragnaar

Oh I agree wholeheartedly. Any content that is made prior to the game's release should be on the disc and accessible to anyone who buys it.

I also agree.

MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MarcusAntonius

It's just ironic because while Gamestop sells a lot of games a LOT of it is used which gives no money to the game company whatsoever, but these game companies sure do love to support Gamestop with these bonuses.

treedoor

At the same time, the nature of Gamestop's business gives these game developers free advertising. But like much of Big Content, they all love to have their cake and eat it too.

Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#17 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts
Well if the preorders are just handing out codes to unlock things, i really don't mind. most of the time all you have to do is google "pro order code - game name-" and you'll find the code you need. I never preordered Saint's Row 2 and I still have the UFO and PeeWee motorcycle. Now if this was DLC and it was one code per game so that would enable it where you couldn't just punch in a code and get the stuff, then i'd be a little pissed.
muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts

It's not entirely GameStop's fault though. Some of the blame must be put on the publishers and/or developers. To some degree, I can understand the impulse, but to deny the consumer of content based purely on the location at which the game was purchased should not be a practice continued.

Foolio1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#19 Foolio1
Member since 2003 • 7467 Posts

I read on the post of the PlayStation blog (the one featuring the final box art for Ratchet & Clank) that the moon that is given to you at GameStop will still be unlockable in the game, it's just that it won't be very easy to get to. As far as I can tell, pre-ordering at GameStop just cuts out that extra nonsense for accessing the level.

In any case, I think the examples cited aren't too big of a deal. Yes, who knows if this will lead to a slipperly slope, but for the time being, what's the big deal about a special costume or one extra car? This seems relatively minor in the scope of the full game.

argianas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#20 argianas
Member since 2005 • 6779 Posts

Well if the preorders are just handing out codes to unlock things, i really don't mind. most of the time all you have to do is google "pro order code - game name-" and you'll find the code you need. I never preordered Saint's Row 2 and I still have the UFO and PeeWee motorcycle. Now if this was DLC and it was one code per game so that would enable it where you couldn't just punch in a code and get the stuff, then i'd be a little pissed.smerlus

Most recent preorder stuff have been one unique one-time-use code per customer. It's the "exclusive" special edition stuff that tends to be the same code for everyone (Prince of Persia, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, etc.).

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts

In any case, I think the examples cited aren't too big of a deal. Yes, who knows if this will lead to a slipperly slope, but for the time being, what's the big deal about a special costume or one extra car? This seems relatively minor in the scope of the full game.

Foolio1
Because I want the special costume and extra car. I'm a collector, and if it's part of the game, then I want it.