VOTE: What did you think of Bethesda's press conference?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gamespot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1 gamespot
Member since 2003 • 901308 Posts

Bethesda started off E3 2015 with a bang, announcing a bunch of news and showing off footage of its upcoming games.

Bethesda demoed Doom for the first time publicly, and we saw the gruesome action that id Software's upcoming shooter has in store. Bethesda also showed off Battlecry, its upcoming class-based shooter. Dishonored 2 was officially announced, and it looks interesting. Following its huge reveal, open-world RPG Fallout 4 was demoed and we got our first glimpse of Boston post-apocalypse. Finally, Fallout mobile game Fallout Shelter was unveiled, and it's coming out today!

What did you think of Bethesda's press conference?

[Here's the full run down of news from Bethesda's press conference]

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

Everything looked good except for Battlecry... So hyped for Fallout.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

It was pretty damn awesome. DOOM looked great. I'm looking forward to Dishonored remaster as I didn't get around to playing it the first time. Fallout 4 looked amazing and it's coming out November 10th, 2015. YES!!! Great kickoff for this year's E3.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

8/10

I wasn't expecting much since it is their first conference at E3 but they delivered.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

not bad,

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 suicidesn0wman
Member since 2006 • 7490 Posts

For me the highlight of the show was the pre/post shows, although I love most of the games they had on display(sorry battlecry), seeing Adam & Morgan together again on screen reminded me just how much I loved the old XPlay show. Not to mention Morgan Webb is god damn sexy!

I wish we could see more of those two talking about games, someone bring back XPlay!

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#7  Edited By Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts

Great show, Fallout 4 looks amazing and it seems like it'll have a heap of content. It's great they made Fallout Shelter completely free with no paywall or time period for building. They truly are about making great games instead of thinking of ways to milk money out of consumers like most other companies these days. Doom4 looks awesome as well. So brutal, so gory, so.. Doom!

DrFlyntCoal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 DrFlyntCoal
Member since 2015 • 496 Posts

For their first E3 Bethesda set the bar very high. Ignoring the card game, ESO & Battlecry it was a solid conference. And obviously FO4 broke all my expectations.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

@suicidesn0wman: I wish we could see more of those two talking about games, someone bring back XPlay!

They really upped the quality of that show the last few years it was around. I was sad to see it go...and they did some pretty great E3 coverage back then as well.

As to this show, it was a suprisingly good conference for a publisher. Usually these publisher conferences are kind of boring, in part because some of their bigger games are saved for the console specific conferences, but this was an exception. Good first show for Bethesda, but then the timing of it allowed them to show some very big franchises, so I don't expect this quality to be a yearly or even bi-yearly thing for them.

tatman87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 tatman87
Member since 2015 • 227 Posts

The Fallout 4 trailer was overwhelming, but in a good way. The crafting looks amazing. I still have some mixed feelings about other things, like the player having a voice. Did you guy's notice the jetpack! Overall I am super hyped!

Doom looks great too. It was still a bit slower paced than I was expecting but I'm okay with that. I was expecting it to play like Rise of the Triad 2013. Those two games alone have already made this an excellent E3 for me!

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#11 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

The conference excelled because it actually showcased most of its games rather than having a 30 second to 2 minute long highlight real or CG trailer that gives us nothing.

Overall, a good conference.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 5

#12 Mesomorphin
Member since 2013 • 903 Posts

Bethesda's conference was a nice way to set the tone for the inevitably bigger and better conferences from Sony & Microsoft. Don't get me wrong, I'am in love with Fallout 4 and I'am eager to get my hands on it, and Doom looks a beautiful first person shooter. But there where a few games in-between like "Elder Scrolls Legends" and "Battlecry" which just came across to me as shovel ware. There wasn't any particular surprises, which is essentially what E3 strives for. 7/10

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Where's a neutral vote?

Doom and Fallout 4 were cool, but all the Elder Scrolls stuff and Battlecry looked super lame.

choda_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 choda_boy
Member since 2003 • 95 Posts

Everything looked great, except for the iOS exclusivity for the free mobile games (TESLegends and FalloutShelter). The very least they could have done would be to announce IF Android would get them, too. After wowing the crowd, they managed to alienate more than half of their customers.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19569 Posts

Bethesda always overhype the features of their RPGs, so I'm not going to give much credence to Todd Howard's Fallout 4 promises.

Still, it was a really good show all-round. Might even give Fallout Shelter a shot later tonight.

*edit* Wait, it's an iOS exclusive? Well screw that.

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 2310 Posts

Doom looked great and Fallout looked godly. November can't come soon enough

tanerb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 tanerb
Member since 2003 • 1300 Posts

Fallout 4 and Doom looked very good

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts
@Planeforger said:

Bethesda always overhype the features of their RPGs, so I'm not going to give much credence to Todd Howard's Fallout 4 promises.

Still, it was a really good show all-round. Might even give Fallout Shelter a shot later tonight.

*edit* Wait, it's an iOS exclusive? Well screw that.

Everything in the Fallout presentation was backed up with in-game video evidence though. Sucks about the iOS only thing though. Speculation is it might come out in a month or so. I really hope it does. Exclusivity on a phone makes zero sense.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

I was worried that my childhood would die and burn in hell when they were gonna showcase Doom, but I'm confident that the new iD knows what they're doing.

As for Fallout, I was honestly thinking "Void Engine or go home". When they said that they were gonna use Creation, my expectations for the combat plummeted... until i saw their montage showcasing competent gunplay.

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

@mesomorphin said:

Bethesda's conference was a nice way to set the tone for the inevitably bigger and better conferences from Sony & Microsoft. Don't get me wrong, I'am in love with Fallout 4 and I'am eager to get my hands on it, and Doom looks a beautiful first person shooter. But there where a few games in-between like "Elder Scrolls Legends" and "Battlecry" which just came across to me as shovel ware. There wasn't any particular surprises, which is essentially what E3 strives for. 7/10

Lol you expect surprises from Sony and Microsoft? What exactly do you expect? Neither of them have announced anything big on their E3 shows for aeons, mostly just going the classic route of Kinect Shovelware and sequels to their big IP's.

The crafting bit in Fallout cought me completely off guard. At first I thought they were joking lol. Hopefuly they'll give more info about the other gameplay elements, like the actual role-playing and stuff.

Fallout 4 is going into dangerously high levels of hype now, it needs to be amazing or else it could burn people badly.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#21 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

It was great. Doom was highlight of the show for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Well I am intrigued about fallout 4 now.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Do you always need to block out one of the votes with "Share" or "Tweet" GameSpot Staff? It's as if you're telling me which one to pick.....

Edit: I liked it. I'm actually more excited for Doom than I am for Fallout 4.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#25  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

Fallout Shelter looked interesting, the rest seemed abit same-old same-old.

The video cuts off before the end.

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 chaplainDMK

@Cloud_imperium said:

Doom looks depressing to me. It's just a regular old shooter, way too many samey machine-gun guns, arena locations where monsters spawn until you hit some magical threshold, boring enemy designs and the health system seems just as stupid as regen health.

I hope that's just the demo here. But right now it just looks like CoD in hell with 8 guns instead of 2. They need to have less respawning enemies, a health-kit based health system and more open levels. Doom was (in my opinion) so great because it was more or less some form of Metroid-vania in 3D. What this meant is that you started a level, and then had to sort of make up a plan on what to do. Each room was a risk vs reward situation - you had to risk clearing the enemies in the room for the reward of extra ammo, equipment, guns or a keycard. If you did well you got away with minimal damage and got some new goodies to make clearing the next room easier, while if you fucked up you had to either make it up in the next room, or actually think a bit and try to remember where you left some spare medkits and stuff. This made the game just so much more deeper than a simple linear shoot-em-up that this Doom looks like it is.

I mean I'm not implying that I want to remake Doom I & II in Id Engine 6, but they need to add depth to the game. Just shooting people isn't enough quite frankly. Serious Sam got away with it because it has much more open areas with more interesting enemy designs, it's basically a 3D bullet hell game. But this Doom is just some weird Call of Duty meets Doom bastard child, no matter what the health bar and unlimited weapon count tells you.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#27 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

It had Fallout 4 in it. What else needs to be said?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#28 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Fallout 4

Does anything else really matter.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#29  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

I was very impressed. they grabbed my interest as a gamer, and the money from my wallet.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

I thought they showed some pretty boring stuff. F2P Battlecry? Scraping and Building Homes in Fallout 4? A F2P Mobile game with microtransactions? Nothing to show for Dishonoured but a weak trailer? Doom looked good, but i still didnt like some of the stuff showed in Doom, but Doom is the one ill be waiting on. I think ill pass on Fallout.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

that Fallout 4 presentation was one of the best ive ever seen.. Todd Howard is just great

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#32 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

I'm excited for Fallout 4 big time. Everything I saw looks fantastic.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@chaplainDMK said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

Doom looks depressing to me. It's just a regular old shooter, way too many samey machine-gun guns, arena locations where monsters spawn until you hit some magical threshold, boring enemy designs and the health system seems just as stupid as regen health.

I hope that's just the demo here. But right now it just looks like CoD in hell with 8 guns instead of 2. They need to have less respawning enemies, a health-kit based health system and more open levels. Doom was (in my opinion) so great because it was more or less some form of Metroid-vania in 3D. What this meant is that you started a level, and then had to sort of make up a plan on what to do. Each room was a risk vs reward situation - you had to risk clearing the enemies in the room for the reward of extra ammo, equipment, guns or a keycard. If you did well you got away with minimal damage and got some new goodies to make clearing the next room easier, while if you fucked up you had to either make it up in the next room, or actually think a bit and try to remember where you left some spare medkits and stuff. This made the game just so much more deeper than a simple linear shoot-em-up that this Doom looks like it is.

I mean I'm not implying that I want to remake Doom I & II in Id Engine 6, but they need to add depth to the game. Just shooting people isn't enough quite frankly. Serious Sam got away with it because it has much more open areas with more interesting enemy designs, it's basically a 3D bullet hell game. But this Doom is just some weird Call of Duty meets Doom bastard child, no matter what the health bar and unlimited weapon count tells you.

Looks nothing like COD. Which COD game has double jumping, health pickups, keycards, unlimited inventory, ability to shoot during sprinting? Nope... it looks like Doom IMO and I loved it.

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 chaplainDMK

@Cloud_imperium said:
@chaplainDMK said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

Looks nothing like COD. Which COD game has double jumping, health pickups, keycards, unlimited inventory, ability to shoot during sprinting? Nope... it looks like Doom IMO and I loved it.

Which Doom game had double jumping or sprinting? And where in the videos did you see keycards?

The health pick-up system is imho just as bad as CoD's, as it takes no skill. All you have is that instead of hiding to regen your health, you have to keep killing to regen your health.

All the while the levels are just linear corridors, the search for key-cards is gone (that one hand he rips off? yea, because that was one hell of a search for it).

Everyone thinks Doom is just slaughter thousands of demons and zombies and stuff, while totally forgetting that you actually had quasi-open maps, secrets, multiple ways to approach each situation, multiple enemy types that werent just variants of Demon with gun and multiple weapons that werent just variants of assault rifle with odd shooting systems.

I dont know, maybe it has all this and they'll reveal it later, but right now it just looks like a Call of Duty clone that took some inspiration from Wolfenstein The New Order. Hardly even close to similar to the old Doom games.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10435 Posts

bit surprised they showed the leaving the vault footage. that was the most iconic moment in f3 so to reveal it as part of the trailer was disappointing, to me at least. as far as the rest of the f4 coverage went i felt some bits looked great but overall the compilation was too heavily weighted towards customisation.

but i'm definitely excited for it and i'm sure it will live up to expectations. was great to hear the release date is so imminent, makes a nice change from publishers like ubisoft who like to preview games that are years away from release. overall not sure which i'm looking forward to the most, f4 or dishonored 2

Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#36 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts

I'll probably buy Fallout 4 and Doom 4 but I was really expecting more from both, neither one looked amazing.

ps3hdalltime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37 ps3hdalltime
Member since 2012 • 427 Posts

Waiting desperately for Fallout 4