This topic is locked from further discussion.

jbox1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jbox1992
Member since 2004 • 170 Posts

how come i keep hearing that windows vista is not good for some games like

Black & White 2, The Sims 2, Sim City 4 Deluxe EDition, and Sim City 3000

mohmaaytah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 mohmaaytah
Member since 2003 • 2397 Posts
It flat out refuses to load some games correctly. I have had this problem with numerous games so far, considering a downgrade to good ol' XP. It uses a ton of RAM for no reason except to look pretty, on my system it uses up around 550 RAM as backround resources, XP does not require anywhere near as much. Consequently you will find some of your games running slower than you are used to under XP.
nosferatu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 nosferatu
Member since 2002 • 4292 Posts

I haven't found a single game that doesn't run under Vista.

It does not use a ton of RAM to "look pretty" and in fact tests have been done that show that Aero really has no impact on performance at all as long as you have a Direct3D capable videocard. Keep in mind that while using 550mb of RAM might seem like a lot now, but I bet XP's RAM minimums seemed like a lot when it came out too.

Go check out HardOCP's article comparing XP and Vista performance. It seems more dependent on video card drivers than anything else.

Beefycake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#4 Beefycake
Member since 2006 • 77 Posts
so far im able to play all of my games on Vista
mohmaaytah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mohmaaytah

I haven't found a single game that doesn't run under Vista.

It does not use a ton of RAM to "look pretty" and in fact tests have been done that show that Aero really has no impact on performance at all as long as you have a Direct3D capable videocard. Keep in mind that while using 550mb of RAM might seem like a lot now, but I bet XP's RAM minimums seemed like a lot when it came out too.

Go check out HardOCP's article comparing XP and Vista performance. It seems more dependent on video card drivers than anything else.

nosferatu

You must be seriously lucky then, Medieval Total War and Europa Universalis 3 just do not work, with some other games I have experienced some noticable slowdown. Agreed about XP requiring alot of RAM back when it was released but I remember my migration to XP being MUCH smoother than Vista even when the amount of RAM I had limited the system. I guess what I have gone through has not applied to everyone, but it has been quite miserable for the past few months over here.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts
My Vista has so far played all but 2 of 40+ PC games i have. Those two are Knights of the Old Republic 1, and Deus Ex 2. But both were buggy pieces of crap on XP anyways.
FragMonkey09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FragMonkey09
Member since 2005 • 1543 Posts
Yea and its got serious performance issues on most games.
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

Haven't had a single game refuse to work on me, STALKER was buggy though (to be fair its a buggy game in XP too). I haven't noticed any performance degredation, the bench's show a difference of 1-2 fps in most cases. There's pretty much a 1GB of RAM minimum requirement for Vista to function properly (for games or otherwise), but if you're playing any modern games then its been a minimum requirement for a long time.

nosferatu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nosferatu

Yea and its got serious performance issues on most games.FragMonkey09

Please don't just go regurgitating what you hear from other forum morons. There are no serious performance issues with all but a small number of games and that is far from most. Those few games' problems are usually developer sided too.

I have evidence of my claims (http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTM0NywxLCxobmV3cw==) do you? That shows single digit differences in frames per second for most games. Those differences are EASILY accounted for by immature video card drivers which is only natural in the presence of a new OS and graphics shell.

rimnet00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 rimnet00
Member since 2003 • 11003 Posts

Here is the scoop. Vista was awful when it first came out, and this is entirely because of the fact that there was a lack of driver support. This especially held true with nVidia cards running under Vista. However, over the past few months things have been very great and frankly the operating system is now at a point where it preforms just a had lower worse compared to XP. However, this will probably only hold true for a few more months, until the drivers get better and Vista begins to shine in both new and old games.

Personally, I am enjoying Vista and at this point would not go back to XP, mainly because of SuperFetch... oh man, does this make a peron's Window experiance awsome or what? =)

mohmaaytah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mohmaaytah

Please don't just go regurgitating what you hear from other forum morons. There are no serious performance issues with all but a small number of games and that is far from most. Those few games' problems are usually developer sided too.

I have evidence of my claims (http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTM0NywxLCxobmV3cw==) do you? That shows single digit differences in frames per second for most games. Those differences are EASILY accounted for by immature video card drivers which is only natural in the presence of a new OS and graphics shell.

nosferatu

You need to learn to respect people's opinions, some may have serious gameplay issues with Vista, why defend it like a rabid dog? My evidence is simply when I play I feel more lag, it is good enough for me to know it is slower.

nosferatu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 nosferatu
[QUOTE="nosferatu"]

mohmaaytah

You need to learn to respect people's opinions, some may have serious gameplay issues with Vista, why defend it like a rabid dog? My evidence is simply when I play I feel more lag, it is good enough for me to know it is slower.

When you play something off as fact, as he did when he simply stated his "opinion" like he did, you should have some evidence to support it. I gave mine and gave him an opportunity to present his own. Instead, it appears as though he was doing what I have seen over and over again. People simply repeat what they hear without actually knowing for themselves. If you go over to the PC forums you will find plenty of examples of people who bad mouthed Vista based on the words of others, but once they used it found out that many of the things they said were wrong.

There is no rabid dog and there is no defense. I'm stating what I've experienced, what the evidence-based general consensus is and also giving a perspective of what actually causes most of the problems which Vista is often blamed for. I also admitted that there are some issues with it and the inherent statement within that is that there are people who have problems with it. I was correcting his overly generalized, sweeping statement that is supported by a complete derth of facts.

You're very wrong if you think you have to respect everyone's opinion. If someone presents an opinion that is blatantly wrong (I'm not saying that he was as even I admitted that SOME games have problems), is an extreme exaggeration, is a blatant lie or is an opinion that they clearly have put no thought or research into then I do not believe that opinion deserves respect. Respect is earned and I believe that if I am willing to put forth the effort to examine and think through my opinions then others should as well and only when they have demonstrated that does their opinion deserve respect. I respect you enough not to spout garbage at you, all I ask is that you do me the same favor.