Virtual Console... what gives?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

VanillaSkyeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 VanillaSkyeXXX
Member since 2007 • 49 Posts

I'm really growing tired of Nintendo's online service... The Virtual Console was great at first; they promised a plethora of games at launch, with more and more added every week, and original titles to follow. Well, launch came and the headliner was the original Donkey Kong, they release three crappy games a week (with one 'big' title a month), and there hasn't been one original title developed yet.

What gives? Nintendo is having tremendous success with the VC and they have HUNDREDS of brilliant classics to choose from to release every week. Why not at least one BIG game every week alongside some of the smaller titles? Every week I'm disappointed by the Pac-Mans and the Fu Man Chus and the Final Fights of the world. Where's the good games? They have dozens upon dozens of classics to choose from spanning NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, Turbo-Grafix-16, and all the other junk.

Games that everyone wants?

How about...

-Goldeneye 007

-Super Mario Bros. 3

-Sonic the Hedgehog 2

-Madden '95

-Final Fantasy III

-Mortal Kombat II

- Super Mario Kart

- Super Metroid

- Super Street Fighter II Turbo

- Mega Man X

- Star Fox

- Killer Instinct

- Doom

???????????????????????????????? What the hell? 

VanillaSkyeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 VanillaSkyeXXX

And another thing --

I'm sick of seeing Nintendo try to counter Xbox Live and the PSN. Sony releases the Ninja Gaiden Sigma demo on the PSN and the VC has the original Ninja Gaiden the following week... They don't compare. Super Street Fighter II is on Xbox Live... two weeks later the VC has the original SFII (the one with six characters)... they don't compare. Xbox Live comes out with a remixed version of the arcade TMNT and the following week Nintendo releases the original NES version... which doesn't compare. Instead of trying to fight newer titles with older predecesors, why not counteract with classics from your own library? (SEE ABOVE NINTENDO) 

dante_123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 dante_123456
Member since 2005 • 15011 Posts

I'm really growing tired of Nintendo's online service... The Virtual Console was great at first; they promised a plethora of games at launch, with more and more added every week, and original titles to follow. Well, launch came and the headliner was the original Donkey Kong, they release three crappy games a week (with one 'big' title a month), and there hasn't been one original title developed yet.

What gives? Nintendo is having tremendous success with the VC and they have HUNDREDS of brilliant classics to choose from to release every week. Why not at least one BIG game every week alongside some of the smaller titles? Every week I'm disappointed by the Pac-Mans and the Fu Man Chus and the Final Fights of the world. Where's the good games? They have dozens upon dozens of classics to choose from spanning NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, Turbo-Grafix-16, and all the other junk.

Games that everyone wants?

How about...

-Goldeneye 007

-Super Mario Bros. 3

-Sonic the Hedgehog 2

-Madden '95

-Final Fantasy III

-Mortal Kombat II

- Super Mario Kart

- Super Metroid

- Super Street Fighter II Turbo

- Mega Man X

- Star Fox

- Killer Instinct

- Doom

???????????????????????????????? What the hell?

VanillaSkyeXXX

well, Goldeneye, and Killer Instinct were made by Rar, and microsoft owns Rare, so those will never go up, Star Fox 64 is already up (not sure if you meant N64 one, or SNES one), and most the other ones will be up there in time. be patient :)

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Skylock00
Member since 2002 • 20069 Posts

Well, part of it comes from the fact that they want to pad out the games for the Virtual console throughout the Wii's lifespan, which means that they can't put out the highest calibur games out too soon, because then the latter part of the system's lifespan would have nothing going for it.

Another part probably comes from matters regarding liscensing, re-rating of games, and other processes that have to be sorted out before the game could be put up on the service. 

In regards to original content, that stems from (most likely) dev kit issues, as well as Nintendo probably working on some level of restructuring for those specific kinds of products.

For me, the Virtual Console has been fine, especially since I own about 10 games on the thing thus far, with most of them being games I revisit and play now and again after going through them once.  Chances are the service will expand out over time, and I suspect that if there would be original titles distributed digitally, it probably won't be going into full swing until the end of this year, early next year, when we see enough devs with kits and online tools to allow them to take advantage of the systems. 

SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#5 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts

As far as Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy are concerned, you read that Square said NO VC games would be released... why? Why charge 5 dollars for a download when suckers buy the 3rd or 4th iteration of Final Fantasy 6 for 30 dollars on the GBA?

So yes, ownership and licensing rights play a big role, although I'd as a business manager would cram every good Nintendo IP onto the VC instantly because why wait, the more people who want the old school games the more people buy a Wii and download it. And it would give us something to do while we wait for actual good Wii games to come out. 

VanillaSkyeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 VanillaSkyeXXX

Well, Rare does not own the James Bond franchise (and hasn't since 1997) and they own the rights to the name "Killer Instinct," not the original game itself. It's Nintendo's property and the same goes for Killer Instinct Gold. As for Rare games not appearing on the VC... look at Donkey Kong Country and DKC2. Your argument doesn't hold up.

Also, Star Fox was on the SNES, Star Fox 64 was on N64.

And I was patient for the first six months of the console's release. And now Nintendo's celebrating the 100th VC release by releasing Zelda II: The Adventure of Link? Are you serious? The top five VC downloads are as follows, according to Nintendo:

1.) Super Mario Bros.

2.) Super Mario 64.

3.) Mario Kart 64

4.) Super Mario World

5.) The Legend of Zelda

So wouldn't SMB3 be more appropriate? 

VanillaSkyeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 VanillaSkyeXXX

Well, part of it comes from the fact that they want to pad out the games for the Virtual console throughout the Wii's lifespan, which means that they can't put out the highest calibur games out too soon, because then the latter part of the system's lifespan would have nothing going for it.

Another part probably comes from matters regarding liscensing, re-rating of games, and other processes that have to be sorted out before the game could be put up on the service.

In regards to original content, that stems from (most likely) dev kit issues, as well as Nintendo probably working on some level of restructuring for those specific kinds of products.

For me, the Virtual Console has been fine, especially since I own about 10 games on the thing thus far, with most of them being games I revisit and play now and again after going through them once. Chances are the service will expand out over time, and I suspect that if there would be original titles distributed digitally, it probably won't be going into full swing until the end of this year, early next year, when we see enough devs with kits and online tools to allow them to take advantage of the systems.

Skylock00

Well, the average lifespan of a console is 5-6 years. If they average one big game a week (52 a year) for five more years (260 by the time Nintendo's next system comes out) I think they have plenty to work with. PLENTY. Think about all the classics on the six-plus systems on the VC... C'mon. This is the biggest problem with the Wii and everyone knows it. Six systems of classics over 20 years. Plus they could put Game Boy games on there. 

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Skylock00
Again, keep in mind that Nintendo will want some of their high quality software to be available for release 2 or 3 years down the line probably, which is why they aren't releasing all of them earlier on.
VanillaSkyeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 VanillaSkyeXXX

As far as Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy are concerned, you read that Square said NO VC games would be released... why? Why charge 5 dollars for a download when suckers buy the 3rd or 4th iteration of Final Fantasy 6 for 30 dollars on the GBA?

So yes, ownership and licensing rights play a big role, although I'd as a business manager would cram every good Nintendo IP onto the VC instantly because why wait, the more people who want the old school games the more people buy a Wii and download it. And it would give us something to do while we wait for actual good Wii games to come out.

SemiMaster

Square, yes. But there has not been one major third party developer that has not at least expressed interest in doing it. And it's not just Nintendo that's doing this stuff guys. All three major systems have downloadable content and games... I mean it's not like this is a fad. 

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Skylock00

Well, the average lifespan of a console is 5-6 years. If they average one big game a week (52 a year) for five more years (260 by the time Nintendo's next system comes out) I think they have plenty to work with. PLENTY. Think about all the classics on the six-plus systems on the VC... C'mon. This is the biggest problem with the Wii and everyone knows it. Six systems of classics over 20 years. Plus they could put Game Boy games on there. VanillaSkyeXXX
Again, refer to the other points I had listed, regarding legal matters, re-issuing ratings, and so forth.

I really don't think this is the biggest problem with the Wii either, and I also don't think this is as big of an issue as you are making it out to be, personally, but that's just me.

VanillaSkyeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 VanillaSkyeXXX

[QUOTE="VanillaSkyeXXX"]Well, the average lifespan of a console is 5-6 years. If they average one big game a week (52 a year) for five more years (260 by the time Nintendo's next system comes out) I think they have plenty to work with. PLENTY. Think about all the classics on the six-plus systems on the VC... C'mon. This is the biggest problem with the Wii and everyone knows it. Six systems of classics over 20 years. Plus they could put Game Boy games on there. Skylock00

Again, refer to the other points I had listed, regarding legal matters, re-issuing ratings, and so forth.

I really don't think this is the biggest problem with the Wii either, and I also don't think this is as big of an issue as you are making it out to be, personally, but that's just me.

Then get out of the conversation.

And there are no legal matters here. Especially not with Nintendo first party titles like Super Mario... so what are you talking about? Be specific. Re-issuing ratings? They do that months ahead of time for all regions (go to the ESRB website, that's how people find out what titles are coming down the road) and they only have to re-issue rattings to old NES games. The other rattings stick.

So... refer to my other points.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44154 Posts

[QUOTE="VanillaSkyeXXX"]Well, the average lifespan of a console is 5-6 years. If they average one big game a week (52 a year) for five more years (260 by the time Nintendo's next system comes out) I think they have plenty to work with. PLENTY. Think about all the classics on the six-plus systems on the VC... C'mon. This is the biggest problem with the Wii and everyone knows it. Six systems of classics over 20 years. Plus they could put Game Boy games on there. Skylock00

Yeah I agree with you and the various points you've made throughout the thread.

Anyway I don't have a Wii yet but will hopefully get one soon but I follow which games have been getting released on the VC and generally there is at least 1 game I consider a definate purchase if not 2 and that's each week. I really don't see a big deal here at all.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Skylock00

Then get out of the conversation.VanillaSkyeXXX
Sorry, but no. The forum is public, so if I want to discuss in this thread, I can, especially if I'm not violating any rules, which I'm not.
And there are no legal matters here. Especially not with Nintendo first party titles like Super Mario... so what are you talking about? Be specific. Re-issuing ratings? They do that months ahead of time for all regions (go to the ESRB website, that's how people find out what titles are coming down the road) and they only have to re-issue rattings to old NES games. The other rattings stick.VanillaSkyeXXX
Yes, there are legal matters, which is what I mentioned earlier. For these games to be redistributed, if the distribution rights aren't held by Nintendo, there has to be liscencing clearance and such. Furthermore, there are other legal matters that had to be addressed in some games, as is the case in Tecmo Bowl, where the names of the original players had to be removed due to legal issues (which I suspect would be the case in other football/sports games possibly).  There are other kinds of legal matters that would have to be addressed depending on what games we're talking about, and what sorts of copyrights and such are found around and within the games.

So to say there are no legal matters is not the truth, and in regards to re-issuing ratings, the point was that before a game could go up on the VC, it has to go through the ESRB to be rated, which is a process that has to be taken care of that restricts them from throwing up games on the system more rapidly to some degree.

VanillaSkyeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 VanillaSkyeXXX
Um... like I said... not with original Nintendo-licenced games. So, there is no legal issue here. Except maybe older sports titles. And really, these things don't take as long as you make them out to be. Think about it, they do it with three games per week. So why not release three games that people actually want? There is no issue here - Nintendo just doesn't want to do it and the fans do.
VanillaSkyeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 VanillaSkyeXXX
And to people that don' think this is a big deal--okay well you dont and if youre okay with Pac Man and Zelda II that's fine. But this isn't what Nintendo promised us and (as a fan who actually owns a Wii along with everything else that I complain about) I'm unhappy with it. And I see hundreds of customers a week come into my Gamestop (where I work) and complain about the same things.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Archangel3371  Online

And to people that don' think this is a big deal--okay well you dont and if youre okay with Pac Man and Zelda II that's fine. But this isn't what Nintendo promised us and (as a fan who actually owns a Wii along with everything else that I complain about) I'm unhappy with it. And I see hundreds of customers a week come into my Gamestop (where I work) and complain about the same things.VanillaSkyeXXX

Well I'm ok with Super Castlevania IV, Contra III, Legend of the Mystical Ninja, Ninja Gaiden, NInja Spirit, etc. etc. etc. I rhyme off alot more but I think you get the point. Also I found Zelda II to be a very good game so I see nothing wrong with it coming out on VC. The Wii has only been out for a few months so I hardly see a need to rush everything out already since hopefully there is another 5 years at least for the console. I don't understand why people are so impatient.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Skylock00

Um... like I said... not with original Nintendo-licenced games. So, there is no legal issue here. Except maybe older sports titles. And really, these things don't take as long as you make them out to be. Think about it, they do it with three games per week. So why not release three games that people actually want? There is no issue here - Nintendo just doesn't want to do it and the fans do.VanillaSkyeXXX
I also said that the legals matter apply to "games whose distribution rights are not held by Nintendo," so I don't get why you're dismissing that point, since it is a valid one, and applies to half of the games you listed up above in your first post to some degree.

If a game features characters liscensed from some other company that isn't willing to have the liscence reinstated, then there coudl be other games that don't get distributed due to that legal issue, also.

You can even factor in matters regarding the conversion process, testing, debugging, alterting, and such that has to be done to some games to make sure they work, with the addition of further testing that lead to Nintendo issuing patches for some games as factors that take up time, resources, and the such.  All I'm mainly trying to suggest here is that Nintendo might not be putting out all of their big guns at a rapid rate early on for more factors than simply 'they don't want to,' which is one of your main argument.

And finally, the reason why I don't think this is the biggest issue for the Wii is because I think a bigger issue is getting more serious third party developer support, and the system's main software not falling to a place where it's either low-balled ports, or games that make gimmicky usage of the controller, since the VC is more of a complement to the system rather than the main focal point, IMHO. 

VanillaSkyeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 VanillaSkyeXXX

[QUOTE="VanillaSkyeXXX"]And to people that don' think this is a big deal--okay well you dont and if youre okay with Pac Man and Zelda II that's fine. But this isn't what Nintendo promised us and (as a fan who actually owns a Wii along with everything else that I complain about) I'm unhappy with it. And I see hundreds of customers a week come into my Gamestop (where I work) and complain about the same things.Archangel3371

Well I'm ok with Super Castlevania IV, Contra III, Legend of the Mystical Ninja, Ninja Gaiden, NInja Spirit, etc. etc. etc. I rhyme off alot more but I think you get the point. Also I found Zelda II to be a very good game so I see nothing wrong with it coming out on VC. The Wii has only been out for a few months so I hardly see a need to rush everything out already since hopefully there is another 5 years at least for the console. I don't understand why people are so impatient.

Well, if you're okay with those games that's fine. But I think that most hardcore and casual fans alike would rather play Goldeneye 007 or Super Mario Bros. 3 more than those games. Especially Ninja Gaiden, c'mon. And where's Metal Gear? Or Metroid? The games that are out just don't compare to what they could have out. Period. 

And not to rush things? It's been six months, a tenth of its lifecycle. There aren't even any good Wii games out besides Zelda and Wii Sports (which comes with the damn thing) so most people look forward to something good coming out on the VC, especially during the dry summer months.

And I think everybody has me wrong here. I'm a huge Nintendo fan. HUGE. But I just don't like the way things are coming along in its first year compared to what was promised and what could be.

PS - Zelda II? I'm playing it right now on the NES and its by far the weakest in the series. (Including Game Boy ones) 

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Skylock00
Well, if you're okay with those games that's fine. But I think that most hardcore and casual fans alike would rather play Goldeneye 007 or Super Mario Bros. 3 more than those games. Especially Ninja Gaiden, c'mon. And where's Metal Gear? Or Metroid? The games that are out just don't compare to what they could have out. Period.

And not to rush things? It's been six months, a tenth of its lifecycle. There aren't even any good Wii games out besides Zelda and Wii Sports (which comes with the damn thing) so most people look forward to something good coming out on the VC, especially during the dry summer months.VanillaSkyeXXX

Well, I don't really care about 007, or SMB3.  Why?  Cause I already own those games, and have played them extensively.  I never had a chance to own Streets of Rage 2, Legend of the Mystical Ninja, Wonderboy in Monster World, Dungeon Explorer, and the such, so I find those games to be much more meaningful releases, as those are games that I never had a chance to play, and in some cases, would require a bit of hunting/extra cost to pick up and be able to play if they are rare enough.  So, for someone like me, seeing SMB3 come out on the platform isn't nearly as exciting as something like Gunstar Heroes was (which was the first instant buy I had on the VC).  Granted, I understand what your issue with the VC is.

Otherwise, I also disagree with the 'there are no good games on the Wii aside from Zelda and Wii Sports,' as I own 9 games for the Wii outside of Wii Sports, but I can see how some would feel that there isn't anything that's strong enough to be really worth a purchase.

VanillaSkyeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 VanillaSkyeXXX

[QUOTE="VanillaSkyeXXX"]And to people that don' think this is a big deal--okay well you dont and if youre okay with Pac Man and Zelda II that's fine. But this isn't what Nintendo promised us and (as a fan who actually owns a Wii along with everything else that I complain about) I'm unhappy with it. And I see hundreds of customers a week come into my Gamestop (where I work) and complain about the same things.dvader654

Yeah, yeah., yeah. Okay, listen. I never said anything about updating them or playing them online. Read my words carefully before quoting me please.

Second, of course I compare them to the downloadable games on other systems. Xbox live arcade does indeed have close to the number of games on the Virtual Console. The only difference is that xbla's are in High Definition and they're mostly new and if they're not, they're updated. And Nintendo did say at one point that they'd be updating different games like Super Mario World to have co-op on the same screen but that never happened either. And the PSN has PS1 games. Not many but they still do and obviously that's comparable because that's their back catalogue.

And if you want to say that Nintendo has 100 games already well, woohoo! Most of them suck ass.There's probably 1-12 games that are actually worthy of the title 'classic' and nobody can argue with me there. :) 

There is no problem we already reach 100 games in half a year, neither Xbox live or PSN has anywhere close to that many games. The point of the VC is to be a place to play old games, thats it, its not to update them, or make them online, its just a virtual console, so comparing the two really don't count (unless you compare the PS1 games on the PSN).

Remember the VC will last many many years, they need to have content for all that time. Yes Nintendo can put up every game they made whenever they want, but then you would just have a mass of games and it wouldn't make as much business sense since many games would just get overlooked. By releasing them slowly more games get the spotlight. We would all love to have every game out but its a business, they want to make money. All those Nintendo games you mentioned (not the Rare ones) will be coming out eventually. There is plenty to play right now so play those games and wait patently.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Archangel3371  Online
[QUOTE="Archangel3371"]

[QUOTE="VanillaSkyeXXX"]And to people that don' think this is a big deal--okay well you dont and if youre okay with Pac Man and Zelda II that's fine. But this isn't what Nintendo promised us and (as a fan who actually owns a Wii along with everything else that I complain about) I'm unhappy with it. And I see hundreds of customers a week come into my Gamestop (where I work) and complain about the same things.VanillaSkyeXXX

And not to rush things? It's been six months, a tenth of its lifecycle. There aren't even any good Wii games out besides Zelda and Wii Sports (which comes with the damn thing) so most people look forward to something good coming out on the VC, especially during the dry summer months.

And I think everybody has me wrong here. I'm a huge Nintendo fan. HUGE. But I just don't like the way things are coming along in its first year compared to what was promised and what could be.

PS - Zelda II? I'm playing it right now on the NES and its by far the weakest in the series. (Including Game Boy ones) 

Well I know you're a big fan of Nintendo that's why I'm a little surprised that you think VC is doing so poorly.

Metal Gear is Konami's property so who knows what plans they have for that although I can already play it in Subsistence. :P

I'm also a big fan of Nintendo and I think the VC is doing quite nicely. By the time I pick up a Wii there is going to be a ton of games I'll want to get.

Games like Super Mario 3 are garaunteed to come out on the VC. I'll go out on a limb here and say it's written in stone. I guess I'm just more patient.

I don't know if Zelda II is the weakest in the series but I know it isn't the greatest however I still really enjoyed the game myself so I guess that's just a testament to how strong of a series it is.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Skylock00

Metal Gear is Konami's property so who knows what plans they have for that although I can already play it in Subsistence. :P

Archangel3371

Well, remember that the Subsistence version of Metal Gear is the original MSX computer version, which is different than the US NES version of the game, so it's really not the same. ;)

VanillaSkyeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 VanillaSkyeXXX
[QUOTE="VanillaSkyeXXX"][QUOTE="Archangel3371"]

[QUOTE="VanillaSkyeXXX"]And to people that don' think this is a big deal--okay well you dont and if youre okay with Pac Man and Zelda II that's fine. But this isn't what Nintendo promised us and (as a fan who actually owns a Wii along with everything else that I complain about) I'm unhappy with it. And I see hundreds of customers a week come into my Gamestop (where I work) and complain about the same things.Archangel3371

Well I know you're a big fan of Nintendo that's why I'm a little surprised that you think VC is doing so poorly.

I'm also a big fan of Nintendo and I think the VC is doing quite nicely. By the time I pick up a Wii there is going to be a ton of games I'll want to get.

Games like Super Mario 3 are garaunteed to come out on the VC. I'll go out on a limb here and say it's written in stone. I guess I'm just more patient.

I don't know if Zelda II is the weakest in the series but I know it isn't the greatest however I still really enjoyed the game myself so I guess that's just a testament to how strong of a series it is.

Okay, so I guess I'm just frustrated because I am a big Nintendo fan but that's why I'm so dissapointed. They have so much potential and that's why there's no excuese! They have a back catalogue larger than every competitor's ever and they could be doing so so so much more! So really, they are doing extremely well. They have over 4.6 million game downloads in six months... wow! That way outdoes Microsoft's download numbers. But it could be so much better! If they had the games that really mattered!? Can you imagine? That's my point. Now I'm going to get ready for the game. I'll see you guys tonight! :)

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Archangel3371  Online
[QUOTE="Archangel3371"]

Skylock00

Well, remember that the Subsistence version of Metal Gear is the original MSX computer version, which is different than the US NES version of the game, so it's really not the same. ;)

D'oh. That's right.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Archangel3371  Online

Okay, so I guess I'm just frustrated because I am a big Nintendo fan but that's why I'm so dissapointed. They have so much potential and that's why there's no excuese! They have a back catalogue larger than every competitor's ever and they could be doing so so so much more! So really, they are doing extremely well. They have over 4.6 million game downloads in six months... wow! That way outdoes Microsoft's download numbers. But it could be so much better! If they had the games that really mattered!? Can you imagine? That's my point. Now I'm going to get ready for the game. I'll see you guys tonight! :)

VanillaSkyeXXX

Yeah the number of downloads they have hit already is extremely impressive and also very encouraging for the future. Who knows what may happen for the VC next. Maybe they'll increase the number of titles they bring out each week. I am certain of one thing though and that's that third parties like this bit of news and are probably quite eager to bring out many of they're classic games which is great news for any gamer since we now have a fantastic opportunity to get these games.

VanillaSkyeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 VanillaSkyeXXX
[QUOTE="VanillaSkyeXXX"]

Yeah, yeah., yeah. Okay, listen. I never said anything about updating them or playing them online. Read my words carefully before quoting me please.

Second, of course I compare them to the downloadable games on other systems. Xbox live arcade does indeed have close to the number of games on the Virtual Console. The only difference is that xbla's are in High Definition and they're mostly new and if they're not, they're updated. And Nintendo did say at one point that they'd be updating different games like Super Mario World to have co-op on the same screen but that never happened either. And the PSN has PS1 games. Not many but they still do and obviously that's comparable because that's their back catalogue.

And if you want to say that Nintendo has 100 games already well, woohoo! Most of them suck ass.There's probably 1-12 games that are actually worthy of the title 'classic' and nobody can argue with me there. :)

dvader654

So there is no point inspeaking to you cause you are correct and everyone else is wrong, well thats nice to know. Plus Nintendo never said anything about updating the games, the service is exactly what they said it would be, emulation of old games as it is, dont like it too bad.

Actually, they did. And the guy above you is right too. Third party developers are jumping at the oppritunity to make these games downloadable. How else are they going to make money on the old games? They're not. Instead pawn shops and game stores make money on the old games and the developers make none. Of course they want their titles rereleased.

Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
If nintendo released all of their AAA games right now, then I probably would never have bought great games such as Echo the Dolphin, Bonk's Adventure or Legend of the Mystical Ninja.  I'm very content with the way the games are released just because it gives me a chance to try something new.
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Skylock00
Plus Nintendo never said anything about updating the games.dvader654
Actually, they did. VanillaSkyeXXX
According to this interview:

Multiplayer games - will these now incorporate an option to allow the second/third/fourth player to connect over the internet to play, as some PC emulators have made possible?

Nintendo: All games will be faithful recreations of the original versions so they will not feature new functions like multiplayer or internet play if the original title did not.

Will the Wii iron out all slow-down that existed in old games, including the 2D formats? It would be great to play all the old games at a silky-smooth framerate, but some retro gamers, for some reason, consider the slowdown to a part of the game's old-school appeal.

Nintendo: The Virtual Console games faithfully reproduces the original game in all areas, including content, movement and expressions. Principle programming, characters, sound etc. have not been changed.

So I think that the stance that Nintendo took, unless this interview was not accurate, is for VC games to be focused on releasing games more or less as close to the original in terms of functionality as possible.
diablobasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 diablobasher
Member since 2004 • 5088 Posts

"I'm really growing tired of Nintendo's online service"

You know what i'm growing tired of?

Having to call the Waaaaaahmbulance each time someone doesn't know how a business works.

They are in it to make money, like any other business in the entire world, and to do that, they have to blast out all the rubbish games first, nintendo, being one of the nicer corperate giants have spit out a few awesome games to keep us busy until they get through a big stint of rubbish.

By releasing lots of rubbish, you are massing up as many sales as you can before you can no longer keep the real gems hidden, therefore maximising profits. If they went right ahead and released the best games, the VC would EXPLODE briefly, then die out because once everyone has bought those awesome games, they never even log on to the VC ever again.

But this way, they rake up a fair amount of impulse and curiosity downloads, while seemingly releasing awesome games that in fact make little difference to their reserve of good games (Zelda, Mario, etc, how many different ways are those available now?!)

You will get the Chrono Trigger and the Final Fantasy etc, just not yet, be patient.

weltall1028

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 weltall1028
Member since 2007 • 4775 Posts

Having to call the Waaaaaahmbulance each time someone doesn't know how a business works.

diablobasher

:lol:

I don't have a Wii yet, but there are a lot of VC games that I want. There's already a long list of well-known and obscure classics, and the system's only been out for 6 months!

diablobasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34 diablobasher
Member since 2004 • 5088 Posts
[QUOTE="diablobasher"]

weltall1028

:lol:

I don't have a Wii yet, but there are a lot of VC games that I want. There's already a long list of well-known and obscure classics, and the system's only been out for 6 months!

I know :) People are making such a big deal just because their precious Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger aren't out yet. I mean, when you have stuff like DKC, Final Fight and Bok's Adventure, how can anyone complain?!

Brain3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Brain3000
Member since 2003 • 2857 Posts

VanillaSkyeXXX

:|

I've never wanted to slap someone over the internet before, but right now, I really want to...

Maybe if you had chosen your words better and said "Great" Games as in "You buy this console for this game" games, I wouldn't be so put off, but Zelda and Wii Sports are the only "Good" games? Now you have crossed the line.

As rated by Gamespot, here are the "Good" Games for the Wii(and I will be ignoring VC games that GS has rated)-

• Warioware: Smooth Moves
  • LoZ: TP
  • Super Paper Mario
  • Madden NFL 07
  • Super Monkey Ball: Bananna Blitz
  • Rayman Raving Rabbids
  • Trauma Center: Second Opinion
  • Wii Sports
  • Sonic and the Secret Rings
  • The Godfather: Blackhand edition
  • Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07
  • Elebits
  • SSX Blur
  • Barnyard
  • Call of Duty 3
  • Need for Speed Carbon
  • Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
  • Cars
  • Ice Age 2
Now, I know your tastes will dictate what you think of those scores, but if you can't find more than 2 games in there that you would enjoy, then I don't think you'll listen to any kind of reason about the VC(and not to mention I could pull up the list of "good" VC games to show the impressive amount of games that are already on there already).
Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts

If you have played through every good VC game, I'm going to go out on a limb and say you have too much time on your hands.  Streets of Rage 2, Ninja Gaiden and Actraiser all came out last month if I am not mistaken.  That's 1 awesome game every week except 1.  Sounds to me more like the specific games you want aren't out yet and less that quality games aren't being put on there.

Also, Goldeneye will likely NEVER get on VC.  Rare owns the actual rights to the game.  That is why you saw levels like The Stack come back in Perfect Dark when Nintendo lost the James Bond rights.  At the moment Activision is the only one licensed to release a James Bond game.  Since Rare is owned by Microsoft, Microsoft would have to say, "Yes, we want one of the most popular FPS games ever to be sold for 10 dollars on the machine of our biggest competitor."  Also, at the same time Activision would be demanding their share, if they even let it happen.  The facts are that too many people have the legal right to say no and stop a VC version of Goldeneye from ever happening.

VanillaSkyeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 VanillaSkyeXXX

They are in it to make money, like any other business in the entire world, and to do that, they have to blast out all the rubbish games first, nintendo, being one of the nicer corperate giants have spit out a few awesome games to keep us busy until they get through a big stint of rubbish.

By releasing lots of rubbish, you are massing up as many sales as you can before you can no longer keep the real gems hidden, therefore maximising profits. If they went right ahead and released the best games, the VC would EXPLODE briefly, then die out because once everyone has bought those awesome games, they never even log on to the VC ever again.

But this way, they rake up a fair amount of impulse and curiosity downloads, while seemingly releasing awesome games that in fact make little difference to their reserve of good games (Zelda, Mario, etc, how many different ways are those available now?!)

You will get the Chrono Trigger and the Final Fantasy etc, just not yet, be patient.

diablobasher

Wow, that's pretty impressive. Do you suck on your thumb too? You probably play Pokemon don't you? I know how businesses work and that's why it make sense to release which games the fans want to buy. It only makes sense to release a 'great' game alongside some crappy ones every week that way there its not a complete waste of time and money. If you want to spend eight bucks on crap, go for it. I'm a big boy, I like to play real games. See you guys later, have fun without me. :) 

Brain3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Brain3000
Member since 2003 • 2857 Posts
[QUOTE="diablobasher"]

VanillaSkyeXXX

Wow, that's pretty impressive. Do you suck on your thumb too? You probably play Pokemon don't you? I know how businesses work and that's why it make sense to release which games the fans want to buy. It only makes sense to release a 'great' game alongside some crappy ones every week that way there its not a complete waste of time and money. If you want to spend eight bucks on crap, go for it. I'm a big boy, I like to play real games. See you guys later, have fun without me. :)

From your attitude in this thread, I really, really doubt this....
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#39 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Well im actually really, really impressed by the VC and have about 6 or 7 games now with a few I know im gonna buy soon. Castlevania, Streets Of Rage 1 and 2, Final Fight, Bonk...argh I would be here all night naming the awesome VC games. In fact besides the VC is my favorite part about the Wii right now. At least until the end of the year and we get some more high profile titles ( or "great" games)
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Skylock00
I'm a big boy, I like to play real games. See you guys later, have fun without me. :) VanillaSkyeXXX
Oh, trust me, we'll have plenty of fun for at least a few days now.  You go have fun being a big boy somewhere else for now, k?