Virtual Console Releases for 1/07/08! ( Grab your Yo-Yo, Mike! )

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Phantom_Leo
Member since 2002 • 7090 Posts
WII-KLY UPDATE: TWO NEW CLAS-SIC GAMES ADDED TO WII SHOP CHANNEL

Jan. 7, 2008

Can't believe it's already 2008? Soothe that sense of future shock with a visit to the Wii Shop Channel, where we've just added a pair of awesome vintage games from way back in the 20th century. This week's new offerings include an unpredictable island-hopping adventure and a legendary fighting title, each guaranteed to deliver clas-sic gaming excitement throughout the new year and beyond.

Two new clas-sic games go live at 9 a.m. Pacific time. Nintendo adds new games to the Wii Shop Channel every Monday. WiiTM owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii PointsTM to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

Star TropicsTM(NES®, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone-Mild Fantasy Violence, 500 Wii Points): Find out just how resourceful you can be in this clas-sic game, with its mixture of adventure and RPG elements. Step into the shoes of Mike Jones, a teenage star pitcher from Seattle who has come to the tropics to visit his famous archeologist uncle, Dr. Jones. After being told that his uncle has been abducted, Mike begins a perilous quest in order to rescue him and figure out the mysterious plot behind his disappearance. Luckily for Mike, he meets helpful villagers and finds more powerful weapons as he explores numerous locations and island-hops using his uncle's submarine. You'll never know what to expect next as the cosmic story unfolds over the course of eight action-packed chapters, ranging from Dr. Jones's lab on C-Island to an alien spacecraft. Who knew a tropical vacation could turn into a mission to save the world?

THE KING OF FIGHTERS '94 (NEOGEO, 1-2 players, Rated T for Teen-Animated Blood, Mild Language, Mild Suggestive Themes, Alcohol & Tobacco Reference, Violence, 900 Wii Points): As the first game in the long-running KING OF FIGHTERS series, THE KING OF FIGHTERS '94 brought together popular characters from other well-known franchises and pitted them against each other. Match warriors from Fatal Fury against favorites from its sister series, Art of Fighting. Or see if the casts of the Ikari Warriors and Psycho Soldier series better suit your fightingsty-le. Plus, there's a set of brand new characters, exclusive to the KOF series, who are willing to join the fray. But there's a twist: Instead of the standard best-two- out-of-three-rounds fight setup, players choose one of eight teams, each made up of three teammates. To win, all members of the other team must be eliminated before your fighters are knocked out. Use the game's power gauge to inflict maximum damage and end the round with a devastating finishing move. It's a battle royal unlike anything else-a game whose inspiration is easily seen in the fighting games that followed it. Can your team be the last one standing?

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
The King of Fighters on VC. I never thought I'd see this happen.
Robio_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#3 Robio_basic
Member since 2002 • 7059 Posts

I feel robbed. . . Europe got Harvest Moon last week. I was counting on that for this week. Still I suppose this could be my chance to pick up Star Tropics.

kvn7918

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 kvn7918
Member since 2005 • 1544 Posts
Woot :) kof 94 all they need now is to release the samurai showdown and metal slug seires and i'll be a happy man.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44699 Posts

Really cool 2 games for this Monday. I sure did enjoy Star Tropics when it first came out but it's been ages since then so I'd love to grab that game and have another go at it.

I don't think I have ever played The King of Fighters '94 or I may have played it only a bit, '95 was when I really got into the series. I'd still definately get '94 though.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Star Tropics is an amazing game that I conquered back in the day. It takes a real hardcore gamer to finish that one.
DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20984 Posts

Woot :) kof 94 all they need now is to release the samurai showdown and metal slug seires and i'll be a happy man.kvn7918

Wii already has the complete Metal Slug...

Samurai Shodown is the next NeoGeo game coming.

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts

KoF! OMG!

And I have no wireless! My life sucks!

Ok. Time to get a router.

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DarkCatalyst

It's important to note a couple things.

First, if you play single battle instead of working with the pre-set teams, KOF '94 is almost a solid fighting game.

Also, because Re-Bout fell through (stateside), this is the first ever non-NeoGeo release of KOF '94 over here.

Robio_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Robio_basic

You know, I've never played Star Tropics despite hearing good things about it for years and years. You know? This screenshot:

Never have I been more turned off by a screenshot before. But Nintendo Power showed this off, and for the next 15 years Star Tropics was on a ban list for me. I'm still not sure about it to tell you the truth. . .

_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 _BlueDuck_
Member since 2003 • 11986 Posts

I feel robbed. . . Europe got Harvest Moon last week. I was counting on that for this week. Still I suppose this could be my chance to pick up Star Tropics.

Robio_basic

I'm just happy enough with the fact that we will nowbe likely getting Harvest Moon at some point, and even more importantly, Harvest Moon 64 looks likely at some point as well.

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#14 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts
Hmm...I just thought of something. In StarTropics, there's a part where you have to input a code before you can progress, and the code was on a piece of paper and written in invisible ink. How is that part handled in the Wii version? Maybe the game's code was changed?
kvn7918

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kvn7918
Member since 2005 • 1544 Posts

[QUOTE="kvn7918"]Woot :) kof 94 all they need now is to release the samurai showdown and metal slug seires and i'll be a happy man.DarkCatalyst

I know but i want it on vc i don't fell like putting a disc to play those games,plus i heard that complilation had problems.
DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DarkCatalyst
[QUOTE="Robio_basic"]I feel robbed. . . Europe got Harvest Moon last week. I was counting on that for this week. Still I suppose this could be my chance to pick up Star Tropics._BlueDuck_

I'm just happy enough with the fact that we will nowbe likely getting Harvest Moon at some point, and even more importantly, Harvest Moon 64 looks likely at some point as well.

I can outright confirm Harvest Moon being in the VC pipeline.

Hmm...I just thought of something. In StarTropics, there's a part where you have to input a code before you can progress, and the code was on a piece of paper and written in invisible ink. How is that part handled in the Wii version? Maybe the game's code was changed?King9999

It's included in the electronic documentation.

[QUOTE="DarkCatalyst"]

[QUOTE="kvn7918"]Woot :) kof 94 all they need now is to release the samurai showdown and metal slug seires and i'll be a happy man.kvn7918

I know but i want it on vc i don't fell like putting a disc to play those games,plus i heard that complilation had problems.

The input lag was strictly a PS2 problem.

Metal Slug 6 will never be on VC, either, since it's Atomiswave-based rather than NeoGeo.

Ravenprose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ravenprose
Member since 2007 • 418 Posts

Yeah, the Wii version of Metal Slug Anthology works perfectly (with GC controller), and it's much cheaper than buying each Metal Slug game individually on VC.

I'm going to get Star Tropics. I've never got the chance to play that one before.

Robio_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Robio_basic
[QUOTE="Robio_basic"]

You know, I've never played Star Tropics despite hearing good things about it for years and years. You know? This screenshot:

Never have I been more turned off by a screenshot before. But Nintendo Power showed this off, and for the next 15 years Star Tropics was on a ban list for me. I'm still not sure about it to tell you the truth. . .

dvader654

That same Nintendo Power was what has had me wanting to play this game for years. Not cause of that screen shot, but I love olf NES games with towns and NPCs like that. But they had these detailed maps of the world, it looked so cool.

Yeah whatever, you just think he's sexy.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Archangel3371

KoF! OMG!

And I have no wireless! My life sucks!

Ok. Time to get a router.

SteelAttack

Actually I've seen an adapter that you can get for the Wii so you can plug in an ethernet cable to hook it up to the Internet. I think it goes for about $30 CDN. That's what I plan on picking up when I get a Wii.

gohantech00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 gohantech00
Member since 2005 • 9216 Posts
lol the main character's name in Star Tropics is Mike Jones:lol:
SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SteelAttack

Actually I've seen an adapter that you can get for the Wii so you can plug in an ethernet cable to hook it up to the Internet. I think it goes for about $30 CDN. That's what I plan on picking up when I get a Wii.

Archangel3371

Hmm. I'll start tracking down one of these babies, then. Thanks for the heads-up, man! :)

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Archangel3371
[QUOTE="Archangel3371"]

SteelAttack

Hmm. I'll start tracking down one of these babies, then. Thanks for the heads-up, man! :)

No problem. I was quite surprised to see the thing sitting in one of the stores I fequent as well.

Another caption for the pic: "First the adapter ... then the world! Muahahahahaha ... meow. Ooo, 20% off tuna treats!"

EDIT: It's called the Wii LAN Adapter so that will making searching for one much easier. Just Google it and you'll find all the info on it plus check out eBay and you can probably get one for cheap.

Check out this Nintendo webpage for the requirements. Link.

Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
[QUOTE="Robio_basic"]

dvader654

That same Nintendo Power was what has had me wanting to play this game for years. Not cause of that screen shot, but I love olf NES games with towns and NPCs like that. But they had these detailed maps of the world, it looked so cool.

NP did make that game seem special. Now I've gotta play it.

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SteelAttack
No problem. I was quite surprised to see the thing sitting in one of the stores I fequent as well.

Another caption for the pic: "First the adapter ... then the world! Muahahahahaha ... meow. Ooo, 20% off tuna treats!"

EDIT: It's called the Wii LAN Adapter so that will making searching for one much easier. Just Google it and you'll find all the info on it plus check out eBay and you can probably get one for cheap.

Check out this Nintendo webpage for the requirements. Link.

Archangel3371

Sweet! Thanks!

Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 Phantom_Leo
Member since 2002 • 7090 Posts
For those of you on the fence about StarTropics, click on the freshly added link in the original post!
Gemini_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 Gemini_Red
Member since 2003 • 3290 Posts

Star Tropics is an amazing game that I conquered back in the day. It takes a real hardcore gamer to finish that one.GodModeEnabled

Hard, but not Ninja Gaiden NES or Castlevania 1 hard. Strange part was after picking it up and playing it again I beat it in a few hours.........then again I remember EVERYTHING about that game and apparently I wasn't very rusty.

Man what a romp though, I'm going through again on the weekend. :)

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#27 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

Hmm...I just thought of something. In StarTropics, there's a part where you have to input a code before you can progress, and the code was on a piece of paper and written in invisible ink. How is that part handled in the Wii version? Maybe the game's code was changed?King9999

From Wikipedia:

For the Virtual Console release, the letter is included in digital form with an image of a letter and a bucket of water at the bottom. When the player clicks on one of the images, the letter dips into the bucket and the code is revealed.

Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#28 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts

Wow was I fooled. when I read the title, The first thing that came to mind was the Goonies II game.

Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Gunraidan
Member since 2007 • 4272 Posts

DarkCatalyst

DarkCatalyst is about to get very excited (but not for what he's thinking now).

Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#30 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts
StarTropics? They better include that letter the game came with.
m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#31 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

StarTropics? They better include that letter the game came with.Video_Game_King

They includea virtual version of it.

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DarkCatalyst
[QUOTE="DarkCatalyst"]

Samurai Shodown is the next NeoGeo game coming.Gunraidan

DarkCatalyst is about to get very excited (but not for what he's thinking now).

Already knew. :)

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 Skylock00
Member since 2002 • 20069 Posts
Man, both of these games look tempting. I really enjoyed Star Tropics, and I'm curious as to whether KoF 94 is worth picking up as my first Neo Geo title (would also be my first VC fighting game...time to try out that Hori controller I got!)?
woogity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 woogity
Member since 2007 • 192 Posts
Startropics is a cool game, but really tough! I picked up a used NES about 6 years ago. My local Toys'R'Us still had one brand new NES game, and it was Startropics. I've still got the original box and letter that's never been wet.
Madsucktion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 Madsucktion
Member since 2003 • 2079 Posts

[QUOTE="King9999"]Hmm...I just thought of something. In StarTropics, there's a part where you have to input a code before you can progress, and the code was on a piece of paper and written in invisible ink. How is that part handled in the Wii version? Maybe the game's code was changed?m0zart

From Wikipedia:

For the Virtual Console release, the letter is included in digital form with an image of a letter and a bucket of water at the bottom. When the player clicks on one of the images, the letter dips into the bucket and the code is revealed.

Hahahah, That's awesome! I remember when I first got Startropics, I bought it from a used game store with no instruction booklet. Man was I pissed when I found out you needed the code. And because there was no real internet (or gameFAQS) at the time, I had to do something that I have never done since ... go out and buy a SECOND copy of the game just to get the manual. Now they just need to release Startropics 2, cause I never actually beat that game.