Virtual Console for 02/18/08. (Gaiden Phantasy 2: Ancient Ship of Star)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Phantom_Leo
Member since 2002 • 7090 Posts

WII-KLY UPDATE: TWO NEW CLAS-SIC GAMES ADDED TO WII SHOP CHANNEL

Feb. 18, 2008

Some gamers get skeptical when Roman numerals populate the title of a game. But make no mistake - this week's offerings are no mere sequels. They are some of the most highly regarded cIassic games around. So stock up on some Wii PointsTM to battle the Dark Force or complete an action-packed trilogy.

Nintendo adds new games to the WiiTM Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday. Wii owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

Ninja GaidenTM III: The Ancient Ship of Doom: (NES®, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone - Mild Violence, 500 Wii Points): Join master ninja Ryu Hayabusa, last member of the famous Dragon Clan, in the third and final chapter of the legendary Ninja Gaiden saga. Ryu is framed for FBI agent Irene Lew's murder, and it's up to him to clear his name. Defeating superior life-forms created out of "life energy" called BIO-NOIDs and avoiding enemy ambushes are among the many obstacles which Ryu faces in this unpredictable adventure of mystery, deceit and destruction. Noticeable changes to the game-play mechanics include Ryu's ability to grab on to horizontal surfaces, his reduced falling speed and altered jumping maneuvers, and visible power-ups. Help Ryu defeat the forces of evil once more and discover the real culprit behind Irene's death as one of the most loved trilogies in video-game history comes to a close.

Phantasy StarTM II: (Sega Genesis, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone - Mild Animated Violence, 800 Wii Points): Hailed as one of the greatest games of all time by fans and media alike, Phantasy Star II is an RPG that features an epic story line and turn-based battles. Play as Rolf, Nei, Rudo or several other characters as you navigate through the Algol star system battling the evil Dark Force. Build your characters, select the right weapons and armor, and take on the forces of evil through various missions as you find the right combination of characters to complete each objective. Experience the magic once again in this great sequel.

Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Phantom_Leo

As you can probably guess, I am away from home and unable to post as intricately as I normally would!

Someone get the Official Press release, Pics and Review links in here... please!

summer_star17x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 summer_star17x
Member since 2007 • 2683 Posts
please link the download?
Robio_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#4 Robio_basic
Member since 2002 • 7059 Posts

Wow. They're throwing down the gauntlet on the VC for the second week in a row. Just a warning to everyone now, if you pick of Phantasy Star II and start playing now, you might have it finished right before Brawl comes out.

ArchonBasic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 ArchonBasic
Member since 2002 • 6420 Posts
Wow, two straight weeks of good VC titles! Awesome.
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts

I'll be getting Ninja Gaiden III soon, that's for sure. I never played it, and I don't care if it's not supposed to be as good as the others.

Wow. They're throwing down the gauntlet on the VC for the second week in a row. Just a warning to everyone now, if you pick of Phantasy Star II and start playing now, you might have it finished right before Brawl comes out.

Robio_basic
Dude, I'd completely forgotten that you became a mod, and I know I'm not the only one. :? Where have you been?
Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 Oilers99
Member since 2002 • 28844 Posts

Phantasy Star II is cool, but I've already got a copy of that on Sega Genesis Collection. If they released Phantasy Star, on the other hand...

And what on earth is this two games per week junk? If anything, Nintendo should be speeding up the releases during the slow parts of the month.

zoradude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 zoradude
Member since 2004 • 1073 Posts
Man, really interested in Phantasy Star II. I have never played a game in the series since most of my gaming life was more Nintendo centered(NES,SNES,64)/not big on RPGs until mid-teens. Definatly want to download this when I get a chance.
Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Oilers99

Man, really interested in Phantasy Star II. I have never played a game in the series since most of my gaming life was more Nintendo centered(NES,SNES,64)/not big on RPGs until mid-teens. Definatly want to download this when I get a chance.zoradude

You might also want to consider Sega Genesis Collection, though. It's got Phantasy Star II on it, along with III and IV, and a bunch of other Genesis era titles. It may end up saving you a fair amount of Wii points in the long run.

zoradude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 zoradude
Member since 2004 • 1073 Posts

[QUOTE="zoradude"]Man, really interested in Phantasy Star II. I have never played a game in the series since most of my gaming life was more Nintendo centered(NES,SNES,64)/not big on RPGs until mid-teens. Definatly want to download this when I get a chance.Oilers99

You might also want to consider Sega Genesis Collection, though. It's got Phantasy Star II on it, along with III and IV, and a bunch of other Genesis era titles. It may end up saving you a fair amount of Wii points in the long run.

Hmm yeah. I just looked it up, unfortunatley it is on 2 consoles I do not own currently (if gamespot is to be believed, PS2/PSP). Darn PS2 crapped out on me in the middle of last year and I have yet to get a replacement yet (yay for being a poor college student). I wouldn't mind waiting it out though, I have enough VC titles from christmas to keep me busy for a while.

Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

[QUOTE="zoradude"]Man, really interested in Phantasy Star II. I have never played a game in the series since most of my gaming life was more Nintendo centered(NES,SNES,64)/not big on RPGs until mid-teens. Definatly want to download this when I get a chance.Oilers99

I'm amazed more people haven't gone this route. You can get 28 Genesis games for the price of three on the VC.

And all three Ninja Gaiden games are extra features on both Ninja Gaiden and Ninja Gaiden Black.

The VC is a great resource for some games but for others...not so much.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b7eeba71ed1e
deactivated-5b7eeba71ed1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5b7eeba71ed1e
Member since 2005 • 7040 Posts
Its kind of funny how the VC has all these franchises that are considered in their modern forms to be too hardcore, or not the right fit, for the audience. Kind of bizarre.
Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Oilers99
[QUOTE="Oilers99"]

[QUOTE="zoradude"]Man, really interested in Phantasy Star II. I have never played a game in the series since most of my gaming life was more Nintendo centered(NES,SNES,64)/not big on RPGs until mid-teens. Definatly want to download this when I get a chance.Grammaton-Cleric

I'm amazed more people haven't gone this route. You can get 28 Genesis games for the price of three on the VC.

And all three Ninja Gaiden games are extra features on both Ninja Gaiden and Ninja Gaiden Black.

Ooh, I forgot the first three Ninja Gaiden games were in Ninja Gaiden Black... I was planning to get Ninja Gaiden Black via the Xbox Originals service anyway.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"][QUOTE="Oilers99"]

Ooh, I forgot the first three Ninja Gaiden games were in Ninja Gaiden Black... I was planning to get Ninja Gaiden Black via the Xbox Originals service anyway.

They're not in Black, just the NG Arcade. That's why I'm getting them via Virtual Console. :(
Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Phantom_Leo

** Edited and updated as of 02/19/08. **

RPG fans who have not yet played PS2...

(and if you haven't, you really shouldn't be calling yourself an RPG fan)

...really owe it to themselves to play this game. Drama? Heart breaking cut-scenes? Hard core challenge? You've got it ALL here several, several YEARS before the unwashed masses became Sephiroth worshippers. This was Sega's answer to Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, and you know what? For a while, I preferred this answer a whole lot more!

Do yourself a favor, download a FAQ or scans of the Hint guide that came packed in with it and ENJOY!

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts

I tried to play the Phantasy Star games in the Sega Genesis collection, but I couldn't really get into it. Maybe if I understood what all the stupid icons meant, I'd be able to enjoy it more.

Definitely better than Sword of Vermillion though. Ugh.