staticspeedstrr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 10

Edited By staticspeedstrr
Member since 2021 • 12 Posts

As terrible 2020 might have been, it also gave me the time to play a shitload of video games. I finished a total of nine games last year but nothing stood out as much as these four games.

I have to admit, the Last of Us (2013) was slightly challenging and lengthier than I expected but I still enjoyed it so much. For a slightly slow paced and again, challenging game, I actually LOVED the first one to the point that upon hearing the mess of a story they've done to TLOU 2 I decided to skip it. The DLC was also really good and memorable. The Last of Us is no doubt a masterpiece.

Bioshock Infinite (2013) has been on my list for years but I've only been able to go through it recently. Hard mode is a PAIN but despite being one, it proved to be one of the best shooters I've ever played. I switched to normal mid-gam and glad to say, it kept the challenging aspect while letting me enjoy the story mode.

This game has everything. Amazing soundtrack, art style, and the best of all, the storyline. I actually played this ahead of other Bioshock games, which probably made me enjoy it a lot more than people who followed the right order. On top of the main game, I also enjoyed the two Burial At Sea DLCs. It somehow provided closure to the ending of Infinite.

I slept on Titanfall 2 (2016) for a while seeing how it had robots and everything. Don't really care about robot and mecha shooters but oh boy this game is so good. Story-wise it doesn't stand out too much but as someone who cares more about gameplay, this was just one of the best shooters I've played. Fast-paced, great weapons, fun combat sequences, and memorable scenes. This is one of the few games I'd gladly replay.

Now, this right here.... This is it. This is the SHIT I've been waiting for in years. I've been hooked on Tony Hawk games since playing Pro Skater 3 for the first time on the Playstation 1, 13 years ago. We haven't seen a decent game from the franchise since Proving Grounds (a lot would say American Wasteland but PG was actually decent). The last two releases Pro Skater 5 and Pro Skater HD were TERRIBLE. The fans of the series felt like the franchise was beyond help and thus the era of skateboard games coming to an end.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 (2020) however proved everyone wrong. It might not be a new, new game but it reincarnates the first two games, which themselves are already legendary. The way they remade the game was just amazing. They honestly didn't do any wrong with this one. This people is how you should remaster a video game.

The nostalgia feels rushed through me as soon as I booted the game. I've never really experienced that feeling before while playing a video game and honestly the whole thing was just wholesome.

I managed to finish both games (tour) in 8 ish hours but this game packs a load of replayability. Hundreds of challenges, online mode, park creator and split-screen (oh I've missed you) will keep you playing for hundreds of hours more.

_____

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#1 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15906 Posts

There were a lot of 2020 games that I enjoyed from The Last of Us Part 2, Persona 5 Royal (Kasumi best girl), Dreams, Nioh 2, Ghost of Tsushima, 13 Sentinel, Sakuna, Astro's Playroom and so many others but after thinking, its got to be FINAL FANTASY 7 REMAKE.

I really anticipating the next entry into this new unknown journey. I hope Cloud could save her this time but I am also really mixed at the deux ex machina theory of everyone still alive in the ending of this game. Stop pandering to Crisis Core fans let Zack die please. Idk, I really wants her to live but at the same time the old school FF7 fan in me I really dont want Square to change too much to the story. So much potential for a plot twist and many threads to be opened and closed, cannot wait for the sequel!

MegaNorm64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MegaNorm64
Member since 2020 • 48 Posts

My life belonged to Animal Crossing in 2020 lol. I also finally ended up finishing Kingdom Hearts 3.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Tony Hawk remastered is amazing I just reinstalled it the other I can't wait for Tony Hawk 3 and 4 remasters it's pretty much a given that they will remake them after how good the sales are.

Also Ghost of Tsushima was a breath of fresh air we rarely get new IP's anymore and ones that are actually great everything from the gameplay to music is superb with that game.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11664 Posts

Monster Hunter World: Iceborne had some amazing events and added monsters that was too packed to ignore. Had some incredible festive and buff armor that everyone could enjoy. And while some complained about the monsters (namely journalists) they are all optional and designed to test hunters. Not give a light slap on the wrist, and scripted sections like Safi' did. Which if we be honest was Behemoth-lite.

Don't get me wrong, Safi' is a fun hunt, but was it really difficult; or just a fun siege to add meta weapons and armor? It's the latter

This year we got real challenges. It's the best string of updates Gen 5 MH has had currently. Raging, Furious (with tempered), and two Black Dragon's. Very fun_

*Animal Crossing: New Horizons was also pretty great too.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

My 2020 highlights were Super Mario 3D All Stars, Ori & the Will of the Wisps, Paper Mario: Origami King, Spiritfarer.

They're the main ones anyway.

Avatar image for staticspeedstrr
staticspeedstrr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 staticspeedstrr

@sakaixx: Is the FF7 remake good for people new to the franchise? There are lots of games in the series and I don't really know where to start from.

@warmblur said:

Tony Hawk remastered is amazing I just reinstalled it the other I can't wait for Tony Hawk 3 and 4 remasters it's pretty much a given that they will remake them after how good the sales are.

Do you think those are coming on as a DLC or as a separate game? Also, do you play on PC or console?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@staticspeedstrr said:

@sakaixx: Is the FF7 remake good for people new to the franchise? There are lots of games in the series and I don't really know where to start from.

@warmblur said:

Do you think those are coming on as a DLC or as a separate game? Also, do you play on PC or console?

Separate I also bet it will be announced this Summer at E3 if there is one if not Summer of gaming event and I play on PC.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15906 Posts

@staticspeedstrr said:

FF7 remake is the perfect entry. Its not really a remake either but kind of its own story so you dont have to be bogged down by past entries and enjoy the game as is. The next entry seems to be leading to an unknown journey as well, its a great time to pick up the series!

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 blamix
Member since 2006 • 2029 Posts

TLOU2, GoT and FF7R. Still playing Hades

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#10 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3631 Posts

RAGE 2(2019), I thought I would hate it as I never got into RAGE(2010) on PS3 even though I tried. Ended up having a blast with RAGE 2 as it was fun though kinda bland the world. The DLC was so much better than the main campaign.

Assassin's Creed Origins, had a blast exploring Egypt and the game is just beautiful to look like. I guess I slept on Origins after getting tired of the franchise after Black Flag was released and never cared for checking out the newer AC games. Totally wished I had gotten Origins when it released. Though playing it last year I just was addicted to it and how it pushed the series forward with the combat and story was great.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#11 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

The only one that comes to mind is the FFVII Remake Part 1.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

Streets of Rage 4 and Desperados III.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10417 Posts

the big three i was looking forward to - tlou2, ghosts of tsushima and cyberpunk - just didn't turn out like i hoped. tlou2 was bleak, joyless and frustratingly slow paced, ghosts was cut far too close to the same cloth as the ubisoft open world games for comfort, and was just too hand holdey, and cyberpunk was, well i don't think i need to explain that one.

the game i enjoyed the most that released in 2020 was desperados 3, my little sneaky stealth diamond in the rough. doom eternal was pretty good too and went some way to fix the rinse and repeat repetition doom 2016 suffered from.

other than that i picked up and enjoyed a couple that dropped late 2019 - star wars jedi fallen order was a nice surprise and a fun ride, the (rather one sided) battle against vader at the end was very cool, and death stranding which was surprisingly enjoyable and not deserving of all the negativity gamers were quick to level against it. plus i revisited a lot of older games - vanquish, dead spaces, splinter cells, dishonored and the master chief collection stand out

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58854 Posts

Desp 3 and SOR4.

Was looking forward to Alyx the most. And that's a great game, just thought these were better, regardless of being more traditional in nature.

Avatar image for staticspeedstrr
staticspeedstrr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 staticspeedstrr

@Macutchi: I like it how you didn't even bother to comment on Cyberpunk anymore lmao.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58272 Posts

Satisfactory became my new management/building game.

Hardspace: Shipbreaker was a surprising gem of a game I got into.

Finally "beat" Factorio, after restarting my game like 1000x times. That was a pretty proud moment for me.

Cyberpunk was a lot of fun, played through it like three times.

And, of course....Half-Life: Alyx! Really just a testament to what can be achieved with VR.

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2078 Posts

Yakuza 7 was definitely the best game of 2020.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8762 Posts

Detroit: Become Human had me emotionally invested.

Jcdenton03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jcdenton03
Member since 2021 • 26 Posts

Vampire the Masquerade : Coteries and Shadows of New-York :

I have always been a fan of VTM games and I absolutely loved the two visual novels from indie studio Draw Distance. It was a cool way to enjoy some Vampire while waiting for Bloodlines 2 and Swansong. They're focussed on the last V5 version and makes you play Vampires in NYC. You can play Brujah, Toreador and Ventrue in Coteries while its sequel Shadows focusses on Lasombra clan through the story of former investigation journalist Julia Sowinki. Great atmosphere, great music, the writting is top, you have to face some game changing decisions, the story may differr from a clan to another and it has a real replay value. A must-play for anyone fan of Vampire the Masquerade brand.

Amnesia Rebirth :

It had mixed reaction from the Amnesia fans but Rebirth is a episode which truly hit hard on me. It wasn't maybe as scary as the first episode but the story and contexts made it sometimes absolutely scary. It's a game not just about fear from the dark and the unknown but about the harsh and awfull decision you may have to make (just like SOMA did before). The endings are just heartbreaking. And of course, Lovecraft!

Black Mesa :

I played it back then but I have waited for its full release to be able to enjoy it again. I wasn't disappointed and it's definitively the best way to enjoy HL1 to its fullest if you're too much afraid of old graphics from the late 90's! Xen is totaly different but gorgeous and honestly the guys here have put a huge ton of efforts and love to make it one of the best Half Life experience. A must to play while waiting for HL3 (yes I still have hopes...), to have a good excuse to play HL1 again and if you stil cannot play Alyx because VR set are extensive like hell and/or your computer is not good enough for it (like me...).

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

Persona 4 Golden. I started playing it during my 2020 summer holidays and it was a perfectly relaxing experience. Exploring a rural Japanese town, forming meaningful relationships with an intriguing cast of characters and saving the world via a (mostly) challenging battle system was the experience I never knew I was missing. The ending brought tears to my eyes and very few games (if any) ever managed to do that.

Honorable mentions include PUBG and Monster Hunter: World, games I sank too many hours into with my friends throughout 2020.

slksmgorin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 slksmgorin
Member since 2021 • 1 Posts

well i started the year playing pubg now and then and when the covid started i decided that was the right time to do pc upgrades and i played assassin;s creed till valorant came out adn wasted more than 20 days of total game time on valorant till i decided i dont like the game

Ottyandthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ottyandthedj
Member since 2020 • 113 Posts

@staticspeedstrr:

Lol love your post, especially the Tony Hawk part. That was one of the games that made my 2020 as well. One that made my year for sure was Control developed by remedy games. I was familiar with the developer from their Alan Wake game they put out on the 360.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#26 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

I was hoping it would be Cyberpunk 2077 but in the end it turned out to be Doom Eternal! Never had so much fun with an FPS!

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2078 Posts

@jcdenton03: The problem with the new Amnesia is how the protagonist talked way too much and killed the immersion.

Jcdenton03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jcdenton03
Member since 2021 • 26 Posts

@robbie23: Honestly I wasn't bothered at all by how Tasi talked during the game. I think it actualy created more proximity between me and her. But it's been something a lot of players have been annoyed about, yeah.